**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

'Red, you there? Can you hear me? Red, answer me. I need to talk to you… OH COME ON, WILLOW.' he barked out the last words in his head.

'Don't growl at me!' Willow scolded.

'There you are. Was beginning to wonder if all that blathering the watcher went on about was all just a bunch of soddin’ flim-flam.'

'Apparently not. What's up? Did you find Buffy yet?'

Spike snorted out loud. 'Apparently not…or I'd bloody well be on my way back home right 'bout now, wouldn't you think?' he replied sarcastically.

'Didn't know you were gonna be a Mr. Grumpy vampire.'

'Yeah, well you try doing this after being interrogated and then told that you just might be on the receiving end of everlasting death just to save Buffy. Doesn't fit too well in my book of happy, joyful moments. Now doesn't that seem like a fairly good reason to be grumpy?'

'Spike, please, don't let that enter your head. You need to stay focused, let us work on the other. We're doing so now. You'll be coming back with Buffy, I promise. I'm not saying the evil whoever won't try to pull a fast one, but I need your head clear, that way I can tell what’s going on. Okay?'

'Yeah, right then. I can do that. I'm putting my unlife in your hands.'

'I'll be checking back with you later. If you need me, give a holler.'

'Got it.'

Spike sprawled out on the floor, hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling above him.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

‘SPIKE!'

He sat up, eyes wide. "Ahhh…oh." ‘BLOODY HELL, RED, don't do that to me. Was sleeping; not very wise to sneak up on a vampire when they're sleeping.'

'I'll take note of that and…I'm really sorry. It's just that I've been trying to reach you for an hour and I was getting worried something had happened.'

'No, nothing yet. What you need?'

'We have things prepared for your travel back, with Buffy of course. We need to work out a signal of some sort when you have her and are ready to go. We’ll need a few minutes to do the actual incantation itself.'

'Alright, I'll just tell you and expect the wait. But what if things go down? What if something bad pops up?'

'Then just tell me. Let me know, like say 'Code Red' or…huh, that's kinda funny…Code Red. I like it. You know, since you call me that.'

'Okay, okay. Code Red it is then. If the shit hits the fan, you'll know. Wait, someone's coming. It's…Buffy. Gotta go.'

Spike stood abruptly and stared at her. She looked at him in confusion for a split second then turned her face away. He felt anger bubbling up from within him; she didn't look like his Buffy. Her hair looked unkempt and hung limply over her shoulders. Her eyes were dull, lifeless and dark circles encompassed them. Her clothes were dirty and draped loosely off her body.

“Willow, I thought I heard Willow."

"No, luv. S'just me. Come to take you home, pet." he crooned softly as if not to startle her.

She turned back to him and glared. "Why would I want to go with you? You brought me here, didn't you? Sent me here to rot, rot for all of eternity. I thought you loved me and you tried to destroy me. I was an idiot to think I ever…"

"No, no Buffy. That wasn't me, only me physically, but not me. I wasn't in control of what I did. You have to believe me. I would never, never intentionally hurt you; you know that, don't you? You believe me? Please, Buffy, believe me. I love you so very much, always and forever." his voice hitched near the end of his confession.

Buffy's face softened as her eyes welled up, tears threatening to spill over. Her smile was weak and he could barely see his girl trying so desperately to get out of this weathered and worn shell. He smiled and took a step towards her, slowly reaching out to touch her. The smile faded on her lips as she held up a hand and shook her head violently.

"No," she whispered. "They’ll see, they'll know. I'm supposed to…hate you. Supposed to fight you so I can go home. Go back. I'm supposed to…kill you…for my freedom. I…I just don't…Don't touch me, don't smile, don't look at me, not like that. You have to fight, fight me, Spike. Fight like you want to kill me, fight like you used to fight with me, like you want to rip me apart, drain me dry. Let's dance…dance and make it look good."

"Buffy, I don't know if I can…"

Buffy walked towards him briskly, hands clenched, drawing back her fist and hitting him square in the face. "Shut up, you son of a bitch. I said fight and you're gonna fight me."

She pulled back again, but this time when she swung he swayed to the side, catching her fist in his tight grip and twisting her arm behind her back, reaching his other arm around her neck and leaning his mouth to her ear.

"I'll fight you, bitch. You won't even know what hit you." he growled deeply.

Buffy chuckled, throwing her head back and butting his, causing him to lose his grip on her as he stumbled backwards. She swiftly turned and caught him with a right roundhouse, throwing him through the air and landing with a thud on his back. He shook his head to clear the stars and birdies away that were floating behind his eyes and jumped up in time to block her second kick, catching her foot, turning it and pushing her away. This gave him ample time to give a shout out to Willow.

'Will, now, do it now. We need to get out of here quick like.'

'I hear you, we got it started. What's going on?'

'Can't…really…talk…right now. Just…stick…close by.'

'Will do.'

"Fight, damn you," Buffy hissed as she continued to pummel him senseless. Blood trickled down from the cut above his eye and from his busted lip. The nose was the next to go yet he couldn't will himself to hit her, or at least hit her hard. He blocked most of her punches and kicks but the ones that got through were close to being deadly. She knew he was holding back, could feel it in his punches. She was scared for him, didn't want to kill him, didn't want him to die, but she had to make it look good. A rush of wind swept by them. Too late; they, it was onto them.

"ENOUGH!" it roared angrily. "This isn't a fight, it's a beating. Can't have it, no, not at all. His love for you is getting in the way. Not anymore. We will have to do something about that, now, won't we?"

'Red, red--code red, Red. Get us the hell out of here, NOW!' Spike wheezed as he stood up straight from his stooped over position. He looked at Buffy with fear in his eyes, and saw the same reflected back.

'I hear you, Spike. You have to be touching her, holding onto her. Should be about ten seconds, just hold on tight.' Willow rushed out in one long breath.

He felt it, it was too late. Hot, searing vice-like grip on his ribcage, penetrating. His heart felt as if it was being ripped from his chest. His eyes flashed ferally as he tried to keep his senses. Buffy cried out softly, as he lunged towards her.

'RED! Gotta go NOW!' Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy tightly.

'Done!'

A blinding flash of white light hit them both.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

"Are they alive? They both look awful."

"Anya, please, not helping." Xander pulled her away from hovering over Giles and Willow while they checked on the pair. Dawn sat quietly on the couch, afraid of what was to be the outcome of Spike and Buffy's interdimensional hellmouthy travel.

"Buffy's alive, got a pulse. Giles? How's Spike doing?"

"It is difficult to say, really. No breathing, no pulse, no movement. He's been beaten up rather splendidly, though."

"I had a feeling something was going on down there. Oh, Buffy’s coming to." Willow announced.

The slayer's eyes slowly opened and blinked a few times. She couldn't focus on anything but she heard them, her friends were talking, about her and about…Spike. Spike! Oh, God, what happened? She remembered, that thing, the evil, bad thing was hurting him, then Spike was looking at her, so scared, and he was talking to Willow, without moving his lips, screaming to get them out of there, rushing towards her and grabbing her.

"Spike? Is he…alright?" her voice was raspy.

Giles laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. "He's still out, Buffy, but he's strong. I'm sure he is fine, will be fine."

"But you don't know…of course you don't know. They were hurting him, doing something to him, right before he grabbed me and I passed out."

Dawn stood up and walked around to stand in front of her sister. She dropped to her knees and wanted so much to hug Buffy.

"Dawnie, it’s so good to see you."

The sisters threw their arms around each other simultaneously and hugged tightly, rocking back and forth as tears began to trickle from them both. A groan was heard from the body still lying flat on his back next to Buffy. She gasped and turned to look at his bruised face.

"Spike," Buffy whispered leaning closer to him. "Spike, you did it. We made it back home. You were so brave, so smart. You got us…"

Spike smiled rolling his head back and forth. "Dru, love, what’re you talking about?"

Buffy was surprised. "No, not Dru. Buffy, it's me, Buffy."

He chuckled, his eyes still closed. Giles looked at the three girls sitting and watching the vampire.

"I just think he's disoriented. Could be from the spell, could be the interim from the travel. Anything. Don't worry, Buffy." She shook her head in confirmation.

Spike moaned again, his brow creasing. "Buffy? What the…"

His eyes shot open, and a look of shock passed over his features as he sat up slightly, leaning back on his elbows. His sight traveled over each and every occupant standing, sitting, squatting in the living room surrounding him. No one seemed to be giving him any threatening looks, no one seemed to be holding any pointy weapons over him. but it still didn't give him any confidence for his safety. With that in mind, and trying his hardest not to look like too much of a git, he shuffled back in a crabwalk as fast as his hands and legs could carry him, running smack into the front of the couch and landing on his bum.

Buffy rolled over onto her hands and knees, still feeling a bit weak, too weak in fact to stand up vertically.

"Spike?" she wheezed, concern showing as she slowly began a crawl in his direction.

"Stay away from me, Slayer." he growled out as he pointed a finger in her direction. "You and your mates, I don't know what you've done to me. What have you done to Dru? Where is she, you bloody…?"

"Spike," Giles spoke softly. "You’re delusional right now. Think hard. You've been working with us for quite some time now. Drusilla's been away for quite some time. We're all friends. Remember? You went into the hellmouth to retrieve Buffy."

The puzzled look faded away as he pulled himself up to sit on the edge of the couch cushion. It all came back to him in one big, blinding slideshow. Spike shook his head up and down as Giles sat down next to him. Buffy stood on shaky legs, using the corner of the coffee table to aide her and slowly stepped over to the two of them. All of a sudden, he grabbed Giles arm and stood, pulling the watcher up with him. Everyone noticed that he was now hiding behind Giles, using him as a shield from Buffy. An eerie and deathly quiet hovered over the room.

TBC