Disclaimer: None of these people (except my made up characters of course) or places in this story belong to me. They all belong to ME and its creators especially one Joss Whedon. Darn!

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Dr. Slovich was a respected doctor in his field. The Council of Watchers had used his services countless times and in fact he had been invited to work for the Initiative at one time. Now he was an underground surgeon, top secret, who helped the demon population but only by recommendations from well-known humans or companies. No need for violence and maiming in the office workplace by the seedier side of the demon populace. One of his first rules was that the demon patient had to be accompanied by the human who recommended it.

Giles was the first one up in the morning while Willow and Dawn remained fast asleep upstairs still. Spike had set up a cot in the basement because he decided it best to be close by and ready to go when the time came.

Giles dialed the number he had hidden in his attaché and waited for someone to pick up. Eight rings later, he was still waiting but when he had decided to hang up around the tenth ring, a woman's voice peeled out a hello.

"Yes, Rupert Giles calling to confirm an appointment with Dr. Slovich this evening."

"Giles, Rupert, ah yes. Mr. Giles, please give me the patient's name."

"Yes, it is William Winters."

"Very good, sir. Your "nephew's" operation is confirmed. This evening at 7:30, operating room 4. Do you know how to get here, sir?"

"Yes, thank you madam."

"Make sure that the patient has no food or any liquid in his system for at least 12 hours prior to the surgery."

"I will make sure, thank you again. Good bye."

"So?"

Giles dropped the phone and grabbed his chest.

"Don't sneak up on an old man like that! I do have to be alive to take you to this appointment, you know. The only way you can get in there and get it done is if I'm with you."

Spike sat down, like a child who was being reprimanded, head hung low and hands clasped in front of him. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"I was just joking. I was trying to lighten the mood. You alright?"

"I'm…nervous."

"I can tell. Something else is bothering you too, I think. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I'm not afraid if that's what you're thinking." Spike looked up the watcher with irritation on his face.

"No, no, on the contrary. I think you have been remarkably brave."

"I just…what if I change?"

"You mean back to being evil?

"No, not really. I know I won't go back to that way of living again. I never really had control this last time but I know I didn't harm any humans. Well, none besides Buffy. Everyone hates me again, don't they?"

"Spike, all of us know. This was something out of your control, not of your will. You were being brainwashed, taken possession of, controlled. Didn't you hear anything Dawn said to you yesterday?"

"Yes, but I could’ve done something about it sooner. Could’ve…"

"What? You said yourself you didn't know what was wrong with you, what was happening until it was too late. We will get through this one way or the other, we will."

"What if having it removed changes me, who I am? What if I don't want to do anything? Does that make any sense?"

"I don't think you will have anything to worry about that. I know how you feel about Buffy and that won't be taken away from you. The chip, it's been more or less a security blanket for you, protecting you from unleashing your animalistic nature, but now you have your soul to fall back on and it will tamper the demon. Has already. And you've been through so much these past three or four years. I think you have grown a lot. You know what is right and wrong and know how to curb the beast within. There are still some humans who can't even do that. Besides, would you want to risk leaving it in for fear of whomever to manipulate your mind and your actions again?"

"No. I'll do it, don't worry bout that. No more reservations. I want to get Buffy back safe and sound.” Spike stood, looking more confident. “Hey, I'm starving. Cooking breakfast?"

"Uh, sorry. You're not supposed to eat anything til after the surgery."

"Bloody great," he growled. "Do they want a cranky vampire in their operating room, them standing around with all that blood pumping through their veins like an open buffet?"

"I think it's just a precautionary thing. Besides, I believe you will be tied down. I, unfortunately," Giles gulped back a sour taste in his mouth, "have to be in the room with you at all times. I'm warning you now, not saying I don't trust you, but I will be carrying a stake."

"Thanks Giles. I'm going back to bed." He got up and walked back to the basement door but turned before heading down. "I really mean it though. Thanks."

Giles nodded.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Dawn tiptoed back to the room she was sharing with Willow and quietly closed the door before sliding over to Willow's bed. She gently shook her by the shoulder until the witch came out of her deep sleep.

"What's wrong, Dawnie?"

"I just overheard Giles and Spike talking downstairs."

"You mean you were eavesdropping."

"Just by accident. I was coming back from the bathroom and overheard Giles on the phone. After he hung up, Spike started talking to him." The girl seemed excited and nervous at the same time.

"And…", Willow prodded the teen.

"I think Giles is going to take Spike someplace…somewhere where he’s going to have the chip removed."

Willow sat up in bed all of a sudden with a surprised look on her face and Dawn shook her head up and down.

"Uh-huh. That's exactly how I reacted. What do you think of this?"

"Well, Giles must know what he's doing, I think. Did you hear anything else?" Willow enquired.

"Giles asked Spike about someone manipulating him again. Do you think that’s how the “Big Bad” got to Spike, using the chip?"

"It's a strong possibility I suppose. Microchips are pretty powerful and they can be used in many ways and for many things. Whoever “Bad” this is, they must have targeted it somehow using technological devices or what. Poor Spike, that would have been so scary."

"I think he's scared about going through with it, but I think he’s scared not to. Do you think maybe we should let them know we know, you know?"

"Yeah, I know," Willow smiled sincerely at Dawn. "I think we should maybe go and talk to Spike sometime today. When is the operation?"

"I think it's tonight after sunset."

"Whew, not even 7 am and we've done a lot of thinking for the day. Let's get dressed, act casual, then take Spike somewhere where we can sit down and chat with him. He needs us right now. He needs some Dawn and Willow hugs."

Dawn smiled at Willow's plan. "Lots of Dawn and Willow huggies."

"Yep!"

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy hurt all over. She didn't know why, she hadn't done anything except hang there for what seemed like forever. The next time that pipsqueak showed his face, she would try to make a bargain with him. She really needed to stretch and move around and really, really needed to go pee.

As soon as she thought it, the cuffs around her wrists opened up, freeing her from the shackles. She looked around cautiously, rubbing her wrists lightly, trying to get the circulation flowing back. A door opened nearby. She heard it before seeing it. Slowly she made her way over and peered around it.

Hmph, a bathroom. Just like home, all the comforts. She was almost afraid to sit on the toilet lest something come up and grab her, but she would take the chance. She really needed to take the chance.

Once finished with her morning regimen of stretches and a quick workout, she checked out the room she was in. Couldn't just go without doing the detective work. Wanted to see if there was a way out of this hellhole. Like she knew what she would do anyway if she did get out.

Nope, nada, couldn't even find an actual door. Must be somehow melded into the wall, magically opening whenever someone wanted to come in. Didn't surprise her any. She started pacing back and forth feeling like a caged rat. She pondered a moment. Poor Amy. Now she knew what it felt like but of course Buffy had no fun spinning wheel to occupy her time. She started working out again, basically shadow boxing, keeping her strength up. Needless to say, it felt good to be free. She didn't know when or for how long she would be chained up again. Taking advantage of her freedom, yes sirree.

A door creaked. The echo confused her; she couldn't see or tell where it opened. Then, poof, he was there, right in front of her. Scared the pants off of her. He was like a slithering, slimy snake stalking prey in the grass.

"You again. So what do I owe for the honor of your company once again?" she sneered at the intrusive demon.

He tsked her. "Rude manners. Thought you might be hungry but impolite guests don't deserve any nibblets."

Nibblets. Dawn, Spike. She had to shake the thoughts of them out of her head. Couldn't let them see her weaknesses.

"I do apologize then. Thank you kind…whatever you are. I am starving. Please tell me it is human food?"

"Quite. Eggs, toast, bacon and juice. Satisfactory?"

She took the tray obligingly and thanked him earnestly.

"And please do eat. You may not get anything else for some time."

She looked up to voice a protest, but of course he was already gone. Slithered back into the grass to await the next time.

TBC