Author's Chapter Notes:
I wrote this story what seems like forever ago, but I only recently typed it up and posted it online. So now I'm posting it on here for your reading pleasure. :) Hope you enjoy and review!
Chapter One: The Great American Dream

Buffy Summers was a pretty good looking girl for a freshman. At 15 years old she had a petite frame, blonde hair down to her waist, and bright green eyes. That was how she’d caught the attention of senior William Giles.

He wasn’t a real ladies man, but he was a looker. Shaggy, dark brown hair, sharp cheek bones, and amazing blue eyes made him more than a little attractive. Buffy had been certain it was love at first sight.

They saw each other in the halls occasionally and it just so happened that they both had D lunch. One afternoon at lunch Buffy had finally made a move. She’d been drooling over him, as usual, and her best friend Willow had demanded that she go over and talk to him.

Buffy had been incredibly nervous at first, but Will happily let her sit down next to him. That’s where it all started.

They started dating a few weeks later and he asked her to prom, which was still months away. By the time it rolled around, Buffy was confident she wanted to take their relationship to the next level.

They were both virgins and they were both naïve.

~Prom Night~

By 7 o’clock Buffy was all dressed up and ready to go. Will was going to pick her up at 7:30 so they could take pictures and get dinner before the dance.

She waited nervously in the living room with her mother, pacing and watching the clock obsessively. He arrived on time and she relaxed when she saw him. He was very handsome in his tux, with a bouquet of red roses in his hand.

He, on the other hand, was completely floored when he saw her. She was a vision with her hair swept up in clips, a long pink dress flowing down to her ankles. She was an angel.

He gave her the roses and kissed her softly, before she invited him in and her mother snapped some pictures on the digital camera. She put the roses in water and kissed Joyce on the cheek before they left.

The evening went smoothly and the dance was everything Buffy had hoped for. It started at nine and ended at midnight, but Buffy didn’t have to be home until one. So she and Spike left at eleven.

They got a hotel room near her house and things heated up quickly. Both of them were so caught up in the moment they didn’t bother with protection.

A month later Will graduated and Buffy was starting to get worried that she’d skipped her period, but she didn’t say anything about it.

Will went to visit his grandmother in England for a few months over summer, but he promised he’d come back to Sunnydale afterward. He had no idea that it would be too late.

When Buffy missed her period again the following month, she knew something was definitely amiss. She bought a home pregnancy test and Willow sat with her on her bed as they awaited the results.

Those were the longest three minutes of her life. It was good that Willow was there to keep her company, because she was a wreck when she got the results. The prospect of sharing the information with her mother was not pretty.

Buffy knew her mother loved her, but the look of disappointment on her face when she found out nearly broke Buffy’s heart.

What was worse was that the father of the baby was overseas and she had no way of contacting him. He hadn’t left her any sort of telephone number and he hadn’t called since he’d been gone. She supposed he’d gotten busy with his family and simply hadn’t gotten around to it.

Joyce worked at an art gallery and she decided she’d rather work out of New York, so they packed up, sold the house, and moved off to start a new life.

Buffy kept in touch with Willow through phone and e-mail, but she never got in contact with Will again.

Every day she remembered the night that had changed her life. She remembered his gentle touches and the words of love they’d whispered to each other. The night haunted her.

Buffy enrolled in high school in New York and finished her last three years there. She got a job as a secretary at a dentist’s office, and Joyce helped her take care of her daughter, whom she’d named Katrina Lynn Summers. The baby girl inherited her father’s brown hair and blue eyes, and Buffy’s bubbly personality. There was never a dull moment in raising her.

After Buffy graduated high school she auditioned for a spot at Juilliard. She couldn’t have been more surprised when she got accepted. She studied there for four years and got her degree in music.

She started singing in different night clubs and bars around the city, as well as in community plays. When she was 24 a talent scout discovered her. She’d been singing in a very upscale restaurant where he’d been having dinner.

Liam ‘Angel’ O’Connor was 32, married, and a very successful businessman. His wife, Lilah Morgan-O’Connor, was one of the most powerful attorneys in New York City. The second he laid eyes on Buffy, he knew he wanted her.

He and Lilah were both rich and powerful, therefore prone to having affairs frequently. They were aware of each other’s transgressions but both turned a blind eye, so long as their reputations went untarnished.

Angel had fully planned to snare Buffy as another conquest, but she’d resisted his charm, much to his dismay. She’d insisted that they keep their relationship purely professional, and eventually he gave up the chase.

Angel introduced her to her manager, Xander Harris, a few months later. Xander was just a year older than Buffy and incredibly goofy at times. She found it easy to bond with him and his wife Anya, who could be considered a bit odd.

Buffy finally moved out of her mother’s place and bought a house on the outskirts of the city, so she and her daughter would have more privacy.

Xander got her frequent gigs and plenty of positive publicity, and before she knew it was happening, she had her first CD out and she was booking concerts. It was a life she’d only dreamed of in high school and she was happier than ever. Still there was something missing.

Will travelled a very different route after he left Sunnydale. He got swept up in family matters after his grandmother died, and he ended up moving to England to take care of the manor she’d left to him. He never heard from Buffy again.

His grades and SAT scores got him into Oxford and he majored in literature. He completed his first novel before he even got his degree. He also took up playing the guitar.

He was out drinking with his friends on Saturday evening when they all decided to start a band. He kept writing his novels during the day while his band played in clubs at night.

Music wasn’t a career to him, though. Rather it was a hobby to add some excitement to his life. He changed his appearance drastically and his band mates nicknamed him Spike. The name stuck and he eventually began introducing himself that way.

He went through several one-night stands a few relationships in the following years. He dated a waitress named Nina, a singer named Veruca, an actress named Harmony, and a nutcase named Drusilla.

None of them lasted that long and his mind always wandered back to the same girl: the one that got away. No matter what he did or who he dated, his heart always called out for her.

As fate would have it, he developed an addiction to spicy buffalo wings and MTV. The year after Buffy turned 31 she was invited to host the MTV Music Awards, as well as sing at the opening.

She gladly accepted the offer and he just happened to be watching the night it went down. At first he didn’t think it could really be her, but as he kept watching it all clicked into place. She was a famous American singer and he was shocked to say the least.

He dropped a whole bowl of spicy buffalo wings in his lap that night, and then he called the airlines to reserve a flight for the following day.

He spent the night packing and he was off to New York the next afternoon. He was determined to find her, and this time he wouldn’t let her get away.


Chapter End Notes:
The first chapter probably seemed a tad rushed, but that's because it was only meant to provide the background for the story. All of the actual plot starts in chapter two. Enjoy!