Chapter Five: A Cause for Hope

The night of the concert arrived and Spike was nervous as hell. He’d been waiting for this event for weeks. This was his chance to confront her for the first time in sixteen years.

He got himself showered and dressed nicely, and he arrived two hours early due to his nervous anticipation. As he stood in line waiting for the doors to open, he couldn’t stop himself from repeatedly checking his wristwatch.

A tight lump formed in his throat when a black limo, no doubt containing Buffy, passed by the crowd and pulled into the private parking garage.

Buffy went in through the back along with Kat and Lilly. They’d both gotten dressed up and had come with her, to show their support backstage.

Lilly had broken up with her boyfriend a few weeks earlier and since then she and Kat had started dating.

It was kind of a pain to keep their relationship hidden from Buffy, but they didn’t think she would approve. They still held hands and hugged, since they’d always done that as friends, but they refrained from kissing in front of anyone.

When Buffy went on stage they heard the crowd roar in approval. They settled on one of the couches backstage and cuddled up together.

Spike was in a much less comfortable position. The tickets had assigned seating and he was nowhere near the first row. He was forced to watch his beautiful angel from a distance.

He was grateful, however, when it was announced that there would be a fundraiser at the end of the concert, where fans would be admitted backstage if they donated over $200 to the AIDS relief foundation.

Spike decided right then that he’d be willing to pay anything if he got to see her again.

When the time came for the fundraiser most of the fans left. Only Spike and a handful of other fans, mostly men, stayed behind.

Spike decided to drop a real whammy on Buffy and he donated $1,000 to the charity. One of the bulky security guards ushered him backstage and he was told to wait in a specified area.

He sat on one of the couches in the large room and tapped his fingers on his knees. He saw two teenaged girls cuddling affectionately on the other side of the room. He thought it was absolutely adorable.

A low chatter started between some of the people sitting around him, and he managed to catch only every third or fourth whispered word.

All talking ceased when Buffy entered the room. He saw in the corner of his eye that the two girls had now put a little space between them. It was a bit peculiar but he thought nothing more of it. He swallowed hard as he focused all of his attention on his golden goddess.

While she looked good on TV and great in the magazines, there was nothing that compared to seeing her in person.

She looked around the room at each person and he wagered she didn’t recognize him, as she didn’t even pause on his face. People got up after that and formed a line in front of her, under the close watch of the security guards, and the chatting started quietly again.

He made sure he was at the end of the line so he wouldn’t be rushed when his turn came. He wanted to take his time in talking to her and the last thing he needed was some angry fan breathing down his neck.

After about fifteen minutes it was finally his go. He stepped up close to her and said in a seductive tone, “Ello, love.”

He grinned when he saw her visibly tremble in reaction. It pleased him greatly to know he still had such a strong physical affect on her.

She swallowed hard and stared at him shock. He seemed so familiar, and yet unlike anyone she’d ever met.

“Do I… Who are you?”

He grinned and stepped a little closer.

“You don’t recognize me, pet?”

Her eyes widened as she looked into his baby blues and realized who he was. His name came from her lips in a disbelieving whisper.

“William…”

He looked so different now. She couldn’t believe the man standing in front of her was the same one she’d loved in high school. Gone was the slightly nerdy poet and here was the epitome of sex on legs.

“It’s Spike now, actually.”

He hooked his thumbs through his belt looks and gave her a sexy smirk.

She scrunched up her nose with a giggle and crossed her arms.

“Do I really have to call you that?”

He chuckled at the expression on her face and he shook his head slowly.

“No… I reckon you don’t, Goldilocks.”

She looked him over, as she inwardly swooned over the nickname, and she asked with raised brows, “So what brought on this drastic change?”

“Joined a band. I was ready for a change.”

He raised a hand to touch her cheek gently, causing the guards to get twitchy and ready to intervene, and he looked into her eyes.

She felt like she was melting under his gaze. It was so intense and passionate, and it swept her into the past.

“You look… bloody amazin’.”

She blushed at the compliment and ducked her head. “Thank you. So do you.”

He dropped his hand and shuffled his feet awkwardly, his insecurities taking hold.

“Can I see you again?”

She looked up quickly and her brows furrowed. “You want to see me again?”

“Of course I do, love. I’ve missed you more than words can describe.”

She backed away from him a step and looked down, concealing the tears that were welling in her eyes, and she wrapped her arms around herself protectively.

“It’s been sixteen years, Will. How can you still miss me?”

He could tell he’d hit a sore spot and he felt like a wanker. He hadn’t meant to make her sad. He would never intentionally hurt her, but it seemed he always managed to by accident.

“I do miss you, love. I’m so sorry.”

Words couldn’t justify just how sorry he felt, but he was hoping she’d give him an opportunity to show her.

She looked back up and into his eyes. She saw the honesty and remorse in him, clear as day, and it softened her resolve slightly.

“Okay, Will. You can see me again. Do you have a cell phone?”

He grinned happily and pulled it out of his pocket, thanking the stars that he’d thought to get one shortly after arriving in the States. His England number wouldn’t have done him any good here. He handed it to her and watched as she programmed her information in it.

She handed it back with a small smile. “Call me sometime and we can talk.”

He smiled at how she’d put herself under ‘Goldilocks’ and he stuffed his phone away before asking, “There any chance I could get a hug from an old friend?”

She shifted uncomfortably and glanced around the room, inwardly debating whether or not to hug him. Part of her was screaming to push him away, but another part of her longed to feel his arms around her again.

The weaker part of her won and she slowly stepped forward into his embrace. His arms wound around her tight and she rested her hands on his shoulder blades.

She closed her eyes and sighed quietly as she pressed her cheek to his chest. Spike closed his eyes also and inhaled the sweet fragrance of her vanilla shampoo.

Both of them ached inside as they held each other close, reminiscing about times past and what they might’ve had. Neither of them wanted to let go, but the time came when they had to.

Buffy pulled back first and Spike saw tears glistening in her eyes. He brushed the pads of his thumbs over her cheeks and whispered comforting words to her.

“Shhh, kitten… Don’t cry. I’m here now an’ I’m not goin’ anywhere.”

She nodded weakly and moved her gaze to the ground. He tilted her chin back up with a slight frown.

“Please don’t hide those gorgeous green eyes from me, pet.”

She blushed a cute pink and he grinned. “That’s better.”

He kissed her forehead quickly then backed up with a smile.

“I’ll call you.”

She swallowed around the lump in her throat. “Okay.”

He winked back at her as he was leaving and she felt like melting again. She sighed softly in resignation and muttered under her breath.

“That man is pure evil. I’m so doomed…”


Chapter End Notes:
TBC... Please review! I have the first 12 chapters written, but only the first 5 typed. I'll try to update soon.