Author's Chapter Notes:
Due to people already reading and reviewing, so quickly after I posted the first few chapters, I've decided to post another one tonight. I just typed it up and I hope you enjoy :)
Chapter Six: New and Old

When Buffy, Kat, and Lilly got back into the limo, the quiet didn’t last for long. Buffy looked over at the giggling teenagers and raised her brows.

“What’s so funny?”

Kat grinned and said, “We saw that hug action earlier, missy. It looks like you’ve got yourself a stud, because I know you don’t act that way with all of your fans.”

Buffy blushed a little and ducked her head. She wasn’t quite sure how to explain to Kat just who she’d been hugging.

“It’s more complicated than that.”

Kat noticed the change in Buffy’s demeanor and she went to sit next to her, a worried frown on her face.

“Mom?”

Buffy bit her lip and took Kat’s hand in hers.

“The man I was hugging earlier… he’s your father.”

The brunette’s jaw threatened to touch the floor when she realized what her mother had said.

“What? How?”

She was completely baffled by this unexpected revelation. Buffy swallowed hard and shook her head slowly.

“I don’t know, sweetie. That’s the first time I’ve spoken to him in sixteen years.”

Kat took a deep breath and looked down with a frown.

“Are you going to see him again?”

She looked back up as she waited for an answer.

“I think so. He said he wanted to meet up so we can talk. I gave him my number.”

Kat nodded and wrapped her arms tight around her mother, sensing she needed comfort at the moment. Buffy held her close and kissed the top of her head.

When they reached the house they were all exhausted and ready for bed. They dragged their feet up the stairs tiredly and shut themselves in their rooms.

Kat cuddled up with Lilly and they fell asleep after sharing a few soft kisses. Before Buffy dozed off she pulled an old picture out of a drawer in her nightstand. It was the photo she’d taken with Will on the night of prom.

It had been so long ago and yet she could remember it like it was yesterday. A tear rolled down her cheek slowly as she closed her eyes. She fell asleep clutching the frame to her chest.

The next morning the two teenagers hung out in the kitchen while Buffy took a shower. Her cell phone started ringing and Kat picked it up to answer it. She frowned when she saw an unknown number.

“Hello?”

Spike was a bit taken aback when he heard a voice that wasn’t Buffy’s.

“Hello. Is Buffy around?”

Kat frowned a little when she heard an accented voice on the other end of the line. She didn’t think Buffy had any English friends.

“May I ask who’s calling?”

“Will.”

Kat’s eyes widened and she felt for a second like she might drop the phone. She gripped it tighter and took a steadying breath.

“Just a minute.”

She put her hand over the mouthpiece and ran up the stairs. She knocked on Buffy’s door and Buffy answered wearing a towel.

“What is it, honey?”

“It’s Will.”

Buffy felt frozen for a minute and then her heart started racing. She took the phone with a shaky hand and put it to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Hello, pet.”

Kat went back downstairs and Buffy closed her bedroom door to get dressed.

“Will… I’m glad you called.”

She had a hint of girlish excitement in her voice, like she was a freshman in high school all over again.

“Couldn’t wait to call you, love. I just saw you last night and I already miss you again.”

She melted a little at his words and smiled as she pulled her jeans on. Somehow it was easy to forget he’d been gone for so long when she heard his voice. It was comforting and made it nearly impossible to be bitter.

“I miss you too.”

Her admission was quiet and she blushed a little in embarrassment. Even though she couldn’t see Spike, she knew he’d be grinning from ear to ear.

“Glad to hear it, pet. I do have a question for you though. Who was that who answered your phone?”

Buffy swallowed nervously as she tried to think of a way to dodge the question.

“That’s a long story, Will. I think it’d be better if we sat down and talked in person.”

Spike was confused by her evasive response, but he brightened at the prospect of seeing her.

“Sure. That’d be great. Are you doing anything today?”

She bit her lip and tilted her head in contemplation. She didn’t have anything planned, but she was still baffled by the problem of telling Spike about Katrina.

“No. I’m free. Could you come over here?”

It was Spike’s turn to be a little nervous. She wanted him to come over so they could talk face to face. What could be so important that they couldn’t meet in public?

“All right. I’ll need directions and an address.”

She gave him what he asked for and they hung up soon after. Buffy went downstairs to find Kat and Lilly looking thick as thieves in the kitchen.

“All right… What are you two planning now?”

They jumped in surprise and Buffy smirked, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Hey mom. Can we go to the mall and the movies for a few hours?”

Buffy frowned a little and said, “Somehow I know you’re up to something.”

They shook their heads rapidly with innocent grins on their faces. Buffy sighed and caved in, against her better judgment. It would be convenient to have them out of the house for a little while, what with Spike coming over to talk and all.

“Fine. Two hours at the mall and then a movie. Then you come straight home.”

Kat jumped out of her seat and gave Buffy a big hug, squealing happily.

“I will! Promise.”

Once the two girls left, Buffy just sat at the kitchen table with her chin resting on her palm. She had so many thoughts running through her head and she still didn’t know what she was going to tell Spike.

Across town, Spike had finished getting ready and called a taxi. It arrived ten minutes later and he gave the driver all the necessary information.

As they neared Buffy’s neighborhood Spike became aware that the scenery was changing. Everything was bigger and nicer, complete with taller trees and greener lawns. This was what money looked like.

He whistled quietly when he saw her house. She’d had a fairly big house in Sunnydale, but it was a box compared to the mansion she owned now.

He paid the taxi driver then walked up her long, winding driveway to the front gate, which was made of iron and looked sort of ominous. The whole area was surrounded by thick hedges, so no one could spy into the property.

He pressed the call button on the key pad beside the gate. It made a buzzing noise and then there was silence as he waited.

Buffy’s heart started racing as she heard the buzzer go off. She walked to the control panel in the living room and took a deep breath as she opened the front gate.

“Show time.”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review! It inspires me to post faster. Seriously. Thanks to Pam S, burnkitty, Roma, and PhotographyNut for reviewing already!