Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to IT, cordykitten, Pet, Ivana, burnkitty, msspikester, and PhotographyNut for reviewing on the last chapter :)
Chapter Seven: Picking Up the Pieces

Spike walked around Buffy’s living room slowly as he waited for her to come back from the kitchen. He’d felt a bit parched so she was pouring them both a glass of sweetened tea. He couldn’t help but to feel a little nervous as well, being in her house for the first time in sixteen years.

Spike stopped walking when he came to a display of pictures on one of the walls. There were a couple of Buffy and a couple of another girl. The pictures showed a baby, a girl of about 8, and then a nice school photo of a teenager.

As he pieced it all together he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Buffy had a daughter? He figured now that must be who’d answered the phone earlier. The only thing that puzzled him was the lack of a man in any of the pictures, and there were no wedding photos on display. A frown marred his brow as he continued looking.

Buffy came into the room and froze when she saw what he was looking at. She’d have to tell him now for certain. He was bound to ask whether she liked it or not.

She set the glasses down on the coffee table and cleared her throat to alert her presence. Spike turned quickly and gave her a questioning look.

“You should probably sit down.”

He nodded slowly and went to sit on the sofa. She sat beside him and folded her hands nervously in her lap.

“Her name is Katrina and she’s fifteen.”

He looked down at the beige carpet with a frown. He hated knowing that she had a child with another man. Any hopes of a future with her had been bashed into the ground.

“Who’s the father?”

Buffy swallowed hard against the lump in her throat. It was now or never. She took a deep, shaky breath and took the plunge.

“You are.”

His head snapped up sharply and he met her gaze with disbelief and uncertainty written on his face.

“Pardon?”

“She’s yours, Will.”

Spike was still in shock and his brain hadn’t returned to full functionality yet.

“How?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and arched a brow.

“You can’t seriously be asking me that.”

He shook his head slowly as it all started sinking in.

“That one time, and…”

She nodded and dropped her gaze to her lap. She wouldn’t blame him if he hated her now.

“You’re the only man I’ve ever slept with, Will. I found out I was pregnant that summer after you left for England. My mom freaked and moved me up here before the next school year even started.”

He ran his fingers repeatedly through his hair as he tried to come to terms with this new information. He looked up at the pictures on the wall and sighed.

“She’s beautiful.”

“She’s got your eyes.”

He nodded and turned his gaze back to Buffy. His heart ached as he thought about the fact that he had a daughter he’d never met. It was killing him that he’d missed out on so many wonderful things. He wished he could’ve been there through the pregnancy and afterward to partake in Katrina’s childhood.

“Can I meet her?”

Buffy was marginally surprised at his request but not unpleased. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she nodded.

“She’s out with her best friend right now, but she’ll be home in a few hours.”

He fidgeted a little as he asked his next question.

“Does she know about me?”

“Yes. I told her all about it when she was nine. She didn’t really understand it that well, but she does now.”

An awkward silence fell between them for a while, until Spike was the one to break it finally.

“I want to be a part of her life.”

A soft smile graced Buffy’s lips and she said quietly, “I’m sure she’d love that.”

Spike looked down shyly and muttered, “I want to be a part of your life, too.”

She blushed involuntarily when she realized what he’d said, but the smile never left her face.

“I’d like that, Will.”

“You would?”

She nodded and reached over to touch his hand. He turned it over slowly and held her hand in his, squeezing it gently.

The simple contact of their hands brought memories and feelings rushing back unbidden. Buffy closed her eyes for a second to push them back down to where she kept them hidden.

He brushed his thumb over the back of her hand and she trembled slightly. She looked into his eyes and she felt her body start shaking slightly. She was overwhelmed with emotion and feeling very much like she’d like to cry.

She closed her eyes again to gather her wits, and a second later she felt soft, warm lips pressed against hers. Spike cupped her left cheek in his free hand as he kissed her, feeling emboldened when she didn’t move to break away.

She kissed him back slowly and her pulse pounded rapidly in her veins. The kiss broke off shortly and she let her tears come. She was tired of fighting to hold them in.

Spike wrapped his arms around her and held her close as she cried. He didn’t loosen his grip until she lifted her head and looked at him through watery green eyes.

He wiped her tears from her cheeks with a sad smile playing on his face.

“I missed you so much, Will.”

“I missed you too, kitten.”

She buried her face in his neck and he stroked her back. He held her that way for a while until she’d stopped crying completely.

After that they snuggled up together to watch TV. Buffy rested her cheek against his chest and he kept an arm around her waist. A happy smile adorned each of their faces. After so long apart they were finally together again.

Meanwhile, at the mall, Kat and Lilly had met up with some people from school. Most of them were seniors, since they were Lilly’s friends, but a few of them had already graduated.

The two teens had ended up going to the movie first, and having a vigorous make-out session in the theater, so now they were just hanging out behind the mall.

Lilly was against the brick wall with her arms around Kat’s waist. Kat leaned back against her with a smile as she smoked her second cigarette. Lilly had already gone through three and the rest of her friends were still at it.

Her eighteenth birthday was in four days and she was supremely happy that she’d soon be able to buy her own cigarettes. Kat stroked one of her forearms with her free hand, the other bringing her lit cigarette up to her lips for another drag. She exhaled slowly and flicked her ash onto the pavement, relishing the calm the nicotine and Lilly’s embrace were giving her.

Lilly leaned forward to nip playfully at her ear and she couldn’t stop a giggle from slipping out. The blonde slipped a hand just under the edge of her shirt, earning her a playful slap on the wrist.

“Not here, baby.”

She smiled affectionately at her girlfriend as she put her cigarette out with her shoe. She turned and gave Lilly a soft, yet promising kiss on the lips.

“You wanna go home?”

Lilly nodded in agreement and smacked Kat’s ass with a laugh. The brunette pretended to glare then exacted her revenge in the form of tickles. Once the laughter died down she smiled and said, “Let’s go then.”


They said goodbye to Lilly’s friends then headed toward the blonde’s car. When they arrived at the house they walked to the front door hand-in-hand. They separated when Kat opened the door and stepped into the foyer.

She paused as she heard a familiar male voice accompanied by her mother’s. She looked at Lilly and whispered, “I think that’s my father.”

Lilly’s eyes widened and she mouthed, ‘Really?’ She grabbed Kat’s hand and squeezed it supportively, leaning in to press a kiss to the brunette’s forehead.

“Do you want to go in and find out?”

Kat nodded and started walking toward the living room, her legs shaking a little from nervousness.

“I guess it’s time to meet my dad.”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review! I'd love to know what you think so far.