Author's Chapter Notes:
My Emi-muffin told me she wanted more, so I'm posting more. I've also been persuaded by the numerous reviews ^^ They always make me so happy!
Chapter 11: Caught

(December 6th)

Christmas was approaching quickly and things between Spike and Buffy were amazing. The past few months had brought them closer and closer, and had made their relationship indescribably stronger.

Buffy felt like Spike was a part of her. If she lost him a little piece of her soul would be gone too.

School would let out in a week and then it was two more weeks until Christmas arrived. Buffy had pretty much moved into Spike’s room and her life had improved drastically.

Without actually being at her house, her father couldn’t hit her or rape her anymore. She knew he probably didn’t even care enough to wonder why she wasn’t there. She’d already done the research she needed and she had her plans set. She’d turn him into the police when she turned 17, in just a little over a month.

It was currently a Saturday morning and Buffy and Spike were sleeping late as usual. Spike woke suddenly when a knock sounded on the bedroom door.

Anne called through the door, “Breakfast in ten, William. Bring Buffy with you.”

Spike’s eyes flew open and he bolted upright in bed. That woke Buffy up and she yawned quietly.

“Oh bugger!”

Buffy saw the look on his face and she frowned.
“What’s wrong?”

She kissed on the side of his neck softly and wrapped her arms around him. He smiled slightly at what she was doing and he sighed softly.

“Mum knows you’re here, luv.”

That got her attention and her mouth dropped open a little in surprise.
“What? How? What?”

Spike chuckled and ran a hand through his hair.
“My thoughts exactly.”

He kissed her gently then said, “We should probably get dressed. Mum wants us in the kitchen for breakfast in ten minutes.”

Another new development in their relationship was that they slept naked together. They didn’t have sex, but they enjoyed the intimacy of their bare bodies touching.

They both got up and got dressed; taking turns with the bathroom to brush their teeth. They had their routine down so well you’d think they’d been living together for years, not just two months.

As they sat down at the kitchen table they were both incredibly nervous. There was no telling what would happen next. Neither of them had a clue as to what Anne was going to say, or how long she’d known.

Anne placed their plates in front of them and joined them at the table. She’d scrambled eggs, made pancakes, and fried sausages. A carton of orange juice was set in the center of the table.

“Eat up both of you. We can talk after breakfast.”

Spike and Buffy both relaxed a little upon seeing that she didn’t appear to be mad. In fact, she seemed completely calm and normal.

The food was great and the meal went smoothly. They put their dishes in the dishwasher afterward and sat back down for “the talk”. Buffy chewed on her lip nervously and Spike held her hand under the table. It calmed her a little.

“Now before you start jumping to make excuses, I want you to know that I’m fully aware of what’s been going on. I know you’ve been dating for a few months now and I know Buffy’s been living here.”

Buffy looked down at the table top in embarrassment and Spike squeezed her hand.

“I’m not quite sure how this started or why, but I’m not angry. I just wish you’d asked me first.”

She gave them both a look that told them she wasn’t impressed by their sneaking around. Then she continued by questioning them. “Are you at least being careful?”

They both looked like lobsters once they caught on to her meaning. Spike coughed and shifted awkwardly on his stool. Buffy had his hand in a death-grip and she gulped a little, not sure what to say at this point. They weren’t having intercourse, but how were they supposed to talk about that with his mother?

Spike came to her rescue so she didn’t have to speak. “We’re not having sex, mum. Well, at least not the way you’re thinking. But we’ll be careful.”

He forced on an awkward smile and Anne looked a little uncomfortable as well. At least they knew what they were getting themselves into.

Buffy wanted to say something. She felt like she had to. She owed it to Anne to tell her why she’d been staying there without permission.

Her lower lip trembled and her eyes watered a little as she spoke quietly, “My father… he… he hits me. Spike was just trying to help me. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you from the start. I was scared.”

Spike couldn’t have been more surprised by her confession. He’d never in a million years thought she’d tell his mother about her father.

Anne wasn’t any less surprised. She put a hand to her chest as a few different emotions ran through her. Mostly anger. She couldn’t believe a girl as sweet as Buffy had to go through something like that.

“I’m so sorry, dear. Have you told the police?”

Buffy took a deep breath and replied confidently, “Actually I’m planning to do that on my 17th birthday. I want to file for emancipation so I can have rights to the house.”

It appeared Buffy had thought this over a great deal. She had a smart, solid plan. Anne smiled warmly at her and felt the need to reassure her somehow.

“You’re welcome to stay here as long as you like, dear.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in shock and Spike’s jaw slacked in disbelief.

“Really? I thought you’d be… upset.”

Anne chuckled a little at that and shook her head.
“I’m only upset there’s not more I can do to help.”

Buffy beamed with happiness and relief, and she couldn’t resist giving Spike a little peck on the lips.

Spike smiled then looked at his mother and asked, “Are we still doing the camping trip in the woods this year?”

Buffy looked at him in confusion so he explained further.

“My uncle owns a cabin up in the mountains and we go up there every Christmas to celebrate. I believe you know ‘im, love. He’s the librarian at Sunnydale High.”

A few things clicked into place and started making sense to her then. She smiled and said, “That sounds really nice.”

Anne cut in then to answer his question. “Yes, we’re still going, William. Would you like to come along with us, Buffy?”

“Really? I’d love to!” She grinned again and kissed Spike happily. She was relieved she wouldn’t have to stay in Sunnydale by herself over the holiday.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly as he kissed her back, so she could cuddle into his side. They both felt relieved that they didn’t have to sneak around anymore. It was easier having the truth out.

It meant a lot to Buffy that she was going to spend Christmas with Spike and his family. It couldn’t have been a more perfect day for her. These were the moments she lived for.


Chapter End Notes:
A big thanks to gdo, burnkitty, PhotographyNut, msspikester, bob, Pet, IT, dawn, and SpikesGirl for reviewing so far! :D Anyone else want to leave me prezzies? I love them...