Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a special post for burnkitty, because I sincerely appreciated her wonderful words of encouragement. Thanks also to PhotographyNut for reviewing the last chapter. This chapter won't go into very much detail, because it covers a larger period of time and it's meant merely to make a transition.
Chapter 15: Freedom at Her Fingertips

(Monday, January 5th)

School started up again as usual and the next month flew by. Sunday, January 18th arrived and Buffy started getting really nervous. The next day was her birthday and she knew what she had to do.

Willow listened to her venting when they went out to eat lunch and Spike held her hand in silent support. It was a difficult day for her, but she made it through with the help of the two people that were closest to her.

(January 19th)

When the bell rang to dismiss them the next day, Spike revealed he had a surprise for her. Xander and Willow got in Oz’s van and followed them to the Cold Stone by the mall. Buffy grinned and kissed Spike on the cheek. She was even more surprised when she went inside to find Anne waiting with a stack of presents.

She gave Anne a hug then turned to face Spike. She narrowed her eyes and wagged her finger at him accusingly.

“You planned all of this, didn’t you?”

He gave her a sheepish look and a big grin split out on her face. She squealed and threw her arms around him.

She hadn’t had an actual birthday party in years. Spike smiled and held her in a tight embrace, thankful that she’d liked his surprise party.

After thanking him and kissing him numerous times, Buffy sat down at the head of the table. Her friends followed suit and she began cutting the large ice cream cake in front of her, passing a piece to each person.

After everyone had their fill of cake it was time to open presents. By the time she’d opened the last present she was convinced it was the best birthday ever, and that it couldn’t get any better.

That was until Spike pulled her aside and took a little box, wrapped in gold paper, from his pocket. She smiled brightly at him as she opened it.

Nestled in the tissue paper was a silver ring with a heart-shaped red gem. He took it out of the box and slipped it on her finger slowly. Buffy just stared at it with surprise and joy.

“It’s a promise ring, pet. My promise that you’re the only one I’ll ever love. I figured it might do until I get the real thing for you.”

Her eyes watered with tears and she tackled him cheerfully. Spike chuckled as he kept her locked in a bear hug. She showered his whole face in kisses and the grin never left her face.

Later in the evening Spike took Buffy dancing at the Bronze and they had a blast. She wore a red dress that hugged her curves and showed off her cleavage.

Spike went to get them drinks after they’d danced a while, and Buffy took the opportunity to sit down and rest her feet. A boy that went to Sunnydale High approached the table with a nervous smile.

She raised her brows questioningly at him and he fidgeted.

“Hi. I’m Jake.”

“Hi…”

She wasn’t sure what he wanted and she eyed him with a curious frown.

“Well I was wondering if maybe you wanted to dance.”

She smiled slightly at that. A few months ago no one would’ve asked her to dance. A few months ago she’d been invisible.

“You seem like a really nice guy, Jake, but I’m actually here with someone.”

He looked crestfallen but nodded in understanding.
“He’s a lucky guy.”

Buffy smiled and Jake turned to walk away. Spike came back seconds later.

“Was that guy bothering you?”

She shook her head and kissed his lips.
“No. He asked me to dance, but I told him I’m taken.”

Spike sat down and pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her middle.
“Good. No one touches my girl.”

She giggled at the possessive tone in his voice. It sent shivers up and down her spine.

At the end of the evening Buffy felt exhausted and ready for bed. She knew she wouldn’t be sleeping for quite a while though, even when they got home.

Anne was still awake when they returned and she was sitting in the kitchen drinking cocoa. She shook her head with a knowing smile as they ran up the stairs giggling. Sometimes she missed being a teenager in love.

(January 20th)

The next day Buffy and Spike didn’t go to school. Instead Anne accompanied them to the courthouse downtown. They got the license they needed and the proper paperwork, and then they went home to fill it out.

They returned later that afternoon and filed the emancipation application. The judge told them he’d look over the file and see them back in a week for the results.

That night Buffy nearly had a mental breakdown. She was afraid of what might happen if she wasn’t granted emancipation. Hank would be sent the papers for the trial in a few days time, and if he wasn’t locked up Buffy knew he’d kill her.

It took a long phone conversation with Willow and a few rounds of love-making with Spike to calm her down.

She fell asleep with a worried frown on her face and it left Spike feeling helpless. The girl he loved was hurting inside and he didn’t know how to help.

(January 24th)

The following week was filled with stressful days and nervous jitters. Three days before the trial she knew Hank had gotten the paperwork, due to the fact that he came out on the front lawn cussing up a storm.

He was drunk as a skunk and madder than hell. Apparently he thought it’d be fun to chuck his empty beer bottles at a car across the street.

Buffy watched in wide-eyed horror from one of the windows in the living room. Spike called the police and reported it as a man came out of the house where the car was parked.

They watched as Hank and the other man started screaming at each other loudly, the swear words and insults ringing clear down the block.

Hank looked like a deer caught in the headlights when the police car pulled up and the officer stepped out.

Buffy watched in sheer joy as he was cuffed and manhandled into the car. The officer took a statement from the owner of the car and Spike went out to step up as a witness.

Buffy stayed inside, out of sight, not wanting Hank to see her. So far she’d managed to keep her whereabouts under wraps and that was the only way she felt safe.

If Hank found out where she was living that meant he could hurt her again. When Spike came back inside she threw herself in his arms.

He held her tight and stroked her back as he whispered soothing words to her. She calmed in his embrace and he sighed in relief.

“You’re safe now, pet.”

She nodded and buried her face in his neck, nuzzling it affectionately. She was beyond relieved that Hank was on his way to jail at that very moment.

(January 27th)

At the trial Buffy was surprised to see Hank sporting a black eye and a slight limp. It seemed his cell mates hadn’t cared for him much.

Buffy had gotten dressed in a white shirt with black dress pants, and she’d pulled her hair up neatly in a bun. She’d been aiming for a more adult look, so the judge would be more prone to take her seriously.

Luckily for her, the trial went off without a hitch. The judge got statements from Buffy, Spike, and Anne on the nature of Hank’s behavior.

Hank pleaded innocent to the abuse and rape charges, but his defense didn’t stick. His statement was sketchy and the judge saw right through it.

The trail was closed, so there was no jury or audience present. The judge ruled Hank guilty and sentenced him 20 to life without parole.

Anne and Spike both hugged Buffy tightly as she cried in relief. She’d been granted the emancipation, so she’d be able to have the life she wanted.

On top of that she was entitled to a hefty monthly payment from Hank’s account. It was enough to support her and give her pretty much anything she wanted. It seemed everything was finally going her way for a change.

The only mistake she made was looking over at Hank as he was being taken away. The look he gave her filled her with terror and her whole body started shaking. Her gut twisted at the thought of what he would do to her if he ever got out.


Chapter End Notes:
Foreshadowing, anyone? The story will take a dark turn in a few chapters. You've been warned. Please review!