Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so I've changed the title of this chapter. It was previously titled 'A Drive to Remember'. I'm still kind of on the fence about it. Feel free to leave me a review and include your opinion on it. I may well change it again. Anyway, I hope you like the chapter :)
Chapter 22: The Lessons We Learn

(Sunday, September 14th)

“Come on, love. You’re already doing better. It’s not going to be terrible.” He gripped her shoulders and looked into her eyes, trying to convince her that she was worrying for no reason.

She was having none of it. “Are you kidding?!? Yesterday I almost crashed into a lamp post… TWICE! I refuse.” She crossed her arms and frowned, doing her best to look menacing. It didn’t have the desired effect, however, and he burst out laughing at her.

She pouted and said, “You could at least pretend to take me seriously.” He chuckled and responded with, “I’m sorry, love, but you don’t do serious very well. You’re too adorable.” He kissed her softly and reached down to smack her on the bottom. “Now let’s get going. We only have a few hours left until sunset, and I want you ready by then.”

She sighed heavily and her shoulders slumped as she followed him out the front door. This would her third day behind the wheel of his car and she was still terrified. She was a naturally horrible driver but he insisted on teaching her, reasoning that she needed to have her license before she graduated. She couldn’t really argue with him there.

She got in on the driver’s side and he handed her the keys, squeezing her thigh reassuringly as she inserted them in the ignition. They both put on their seatbelts and she went through the procedure he’d taught her: 1) seatbelts – check, 2) rearview mirror aligned – check, 3) side mirrors aligned – check, 4) parking brake released – check, 5) put foot on brake – check, 6) switch gear to reverse – check.

She held her breath as she carefully backed his car out of the driveway, making sure to look left and right several times so she wouldn’t hit anything. Once that was accomplished, she shifted into drive and headed to the park where they’d been practicing. The parking lot was usually abandoned and it provided the perfect place for parking and cone exercises.

She was relieved to find it vacant when they pulled in. He instructed her to park near the entrance, which she did a little less crookedly than the day before, and then he grabbed the cones from the back seat and got out. He set them up on the other side of the lot as a mini obstacle course for her to drive through.

When he gave her the thumbs up she backed out of the parking space, trying to remember everything he’d taught her to do it correctly, and she followed his hand signals to the start of the cones. It was slightly comical to see him running around waving his arms, but she forced herself not to laugh. That could be potentially dangerous while she was operating heavy machinery.

The first time she went through the cones, she knocked half of them down and she felt hopeless. Spike encouraged her to run through it again and she managed to only knock three down, making her a little more optimistic that she was improving. Two more times through the course and she managed to do it without knocking anything over.

She stopped the car and put it in park, as Spike clapped and came over to kiss her through the open window. She kissed him back happily and he mumbled against her lips, “See, kitten? I told you it wasn’t that difficult.” She kissed him harder and mumbled back, “Shut up and kiss me.”

They continued that way for a while, eventually opening the door so she could get out and kiss him properly. She ended up pressed against the driver’s door with her legs around his waist, as he plundered her mouth with his persistent tongue. When they were both extremely worked up he pulled back reluctantly and said, slightly breathlessly, “We should probably head out, love. It’s a long drive to the point.”

She nodded and he kissed her on the tip of the nose, knowing if they started making out again they wouldn’t leave the parking lot for a while. They both got back in the car and he gave her directions to get on the interstate. To say she was nervous would’ve been an understatement. She’d done fairly well in the parking lot practices, but this was actual driving with other cars around.

To give her the credit she was due, she managed to stay between the lines and not hit anyone, and she followed the speed limit (most of the time). After the first hour of driving she managed to relax enough to keep a conversation going, while still keeping her eyes on the road. The second hour of driving brought them off the interstate and onto more secluded roads, some of them dirt, that led them through densely forested land.

This was a trip Buffy would have refused to take by herself, so it was lucky that Spike knew exactly where they were going. After a time they cleared the trees and found themselves on a large plateau, overlooking the forest and the valley. Buffy parked the car and got out, eyes wide in wonder and mouth slightly open in awe. The sun was just beginning to lower in the sky and the colors were stunning.

She turned to Spike with tears in her eyes and she flung herself in his arms, whispering against his neck, “It’s beautiful. I love it here.” He held her tightly with a genuine smile across his face. He’d been hoping that she would enjoy the view, and he thought it would be a nice reward for her after learning to drive.

They settled on the hood of his car, her back pressed to his chest and his arms around her waist, and they watched in silence as the sun slowly sank below the horizon. It wasn’t completely dark yet when he began pressing kisses on the side of her neck. She smiled and closed her eyes, completely relaxed in his arms and enjoying the feel of his lips.

She shivered when he began sucking on her skin and she knew it would leave a mark, which she would gladly wear for all to see. Her relationship with Spike, and her personal history with her father, had already gotten all around school and practically the whole town. She’d had months to cope with everyone knowing and she finally felt okay with it.

She didn’t get angry anymore when she received sympathetic stares, which were coming less often now that people had new gossip to spread. Instead she ignored them and went on with her day, content with the comfortable niche she’d found in her life.

She wasn’t ashamed that she was seventeen and engaged. She wasn’t ashamed that she was completely in love and living with her boyfriend. She wasn’t ashamed that her father had been an abusive bastard, who was now locked away with no hope of getting out. The things that had happened to her hadn’t been in her control, and she’d come to grips with them through talking to Tara and Spike. She’d even finally gotten the guts to talk to her friends about it, which had strengthened her bond with them considerably.

Willow and Oz were going steady still and Xander seemed content dating Anya. She was happy for all of them but mostly she was happy for herself. Four months ago she’d been convinced that she’d never feel joyous again, but luckily she’d been wrong.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when Spike bit down gently, causing her to moan quietly and arch back against him. His hands slid under the front of her shirt to stroke her toned abdomen, and she hummed happily as she tilted her head further. She moved her hands to grip his thighs and she rubbed them teasingly, smiling as she felt him harden against her rear.

She braced her feet and palms on the hood of the car and lifted her bottom slightly, getting enough leverage that she could rub slowly against him. He groaned audibly and whispered in her ear, “Kitten… do you have any idea what you’re doing to me?” She smirked and moved so she was facing him, careful not to scratch the paint. She kicked off her shoes and wrapped her legs around his waist, a wicked smile pasted permanently on her lips.

She kissed him hard and ran her fingers through his hair, pressing her hips firmly against his. He gasped into her mouth and she took the opportunity to murmur, “I think I have an idea, yeah…” His hands gripped her ass and he squeezed the well-muscled cheeks. She moaned and he did it again.

She slid her tongue slowly along his lower lip before he captured it with his front teeth. He gave it a playful nibble then released it so he could kiss her again. He tugged the edge of her shirt up and she broke away so he could pull it over her head. He took a moment to marvel at her beauty before he lowered his lips to her chest, placing open-mouthed kisses down the valley between her breasts. It helped that she wasn’t wearing a bra.

She tilted her head back and moaned as his tongue found one of her rosy peaks, giving it a few good flicks before sucking on it gently. She felt the wetness between her thighs and she knew she couldn’t ignore it any longer. They’d been dancing around the subject of physical intimacy for the last month, and she was tired of leaving them both frustrated.

She tugged gently on his hair so he would raise his head, and he gave her a questioning look. Her breathing was slightly labored from how worked up she was, so she swallowed and said quietly, “I need you to touch me, Spike. I miss feeling you. I miss the things you do to me.” He looked floored for a moment and then he asked gently, “Are you sure, Buffy?”

She nodded silently and kissed him, gently and slowly this time, trying to reassure him that she knew what she was asking. He rolled her over and shrugged off his coat, spreading it out on the hood as a makeshift blanket. He slid onto the ground as she settled herself on the coat, smiling as she looked into his passionate blue eyes. He grabbed her hips and pulled her almost to the edge of the hood, where he could gain better access with less physical strain.

He undid her shorts and tugged them down her thighs, bringing her underwear down with them. The discarded clothing was placed beside her, along with her previously removed shirt. She spread her legs eagerly and rested her feet on the front bumper. He ran his hands up her legs slowly and maintained eye contact as he dipped his head, peppering little kisses along her inner thighs.

The intensity of his gaze shook her to her core, reminding her of how things used to be between them. She wanted that fire back; that raw passion that used to consume them. She forced herself to relax and just feel as his tongue began to explore her folds. One hand gripped the edge of the hood while the other stroked through his hair.

She gasped as he pushed his tongue inside of her, as far as it could go, and her eyes drank in the sight of the stars twinkling above her. The sun had gone down completely now and all of the sky’s diamonds were dazzling radiantly. A feeling bubbled up inside of her and nearly caused her to cry. This whole thing was so romantic and private; just between the two of them. They’d found their own personal getaway spot where they could be together, without the rest of the world interfering, and it was so beautiful and perfect.

She moved her focus to the man between her thighs, worshiping her and licking her into a fine frenzy. He latched onto her tender nubbin and she whimpered uncontrollably. He brought two fingers down below his chin and he traced her entrance almost teasingly. She lifted her hips a little in want and she could feel him grinning against her. The next thing she felt was the slow slide of his fingers inside of her. She shuddered pleasantly and moaned as he curled them upward, ever so slightly.

He continued to stroke her and tease her until he felt her legs begin to tremble. At that point he hooked his fingers inside of her and stroked her hidden pleasure point, while simultaneously sucking on her clit like a piece of candy. She cried out beneath him and her hips bucked sharply, causing him to struggle to keep hold of her.

She felt the telltale euphoria rushing through her veins, as her legs turned to jelly. Her arms felt heavy so she released her grip on the car and his head. He straightened slowly and she looked at him through slightly glassy eyes, a goofy smile playing out on her face. She reached for him with one hand and he eagerly moved to kiss her. It was languid but passionate, and it left him wanting more. He could never get enough of this girl.

When they pulled apart she looked down at his crotch and raised her brows. “Do you want me to…” He cut her off by pressing his finger to her lips. “No, love, tonight was about you…” He kissed her to prevent her from arguing further, and eventually she gave up her struggle, even though she felt guilty about not returning the favor. She would have to find a way to pay him back soon, whether he liked it or not (even though she knew he would).

As she got dressed and got in the passenger’s side of the car, far too uncomfortable still to drive at night, she felt that a lot of the tension between them had been erased. This was only another step of many on her path toward making a full recovery. She knew it wouldn’t be too long before she was back to her regular self, even though ‘regular’ was a severely relative word in her opinion.

She’d not only learned to drive that day, but she’d also learned to trust someone with her body again. She’d learned that she could be confident and strong, but that it was okay to be vulnerable too. She did love Spike and she did want to remember the way things had been. It was truly an evening of joy and enlightenment, and certainly one worth remembering.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review! This story is incredibly close to ending and I'd love to know what your thoughts are. I'm purposely avoiding the subject of Hank still, but he will be dealt with before the end. Much love for everyone who's been following and reviewing! *blows kisses*

Special shout-out to PaganBaby, just in case she's reading this :)