Chapter 3: Fun in the Sun

(August 9th)

Buffy had a really hard time deciding what she should change into. A part of her wanted to just go in board shorts and a baggy t-shirt, but another part of her wanted to be adventurous. In the end she chose to live on the edge a little. Well… it was living on the edge to her, anyway.

She put on a little white string bikini and looked herself over in the mirror. She couldn’t really complain about her appearance, but she was still terribly shy about showing her body. She had a flat tummy, a firm ass, perky little breasts, and toned legs. She couldn’t believe she was actually going to let Spike see her like this.

She grabbed a large white beach towel and a bottle of sunscreen, and then she headed downstairs and out of the house. She opened the gate between the yards and poked her head around it. She saw that he was waiting, so she walked into his yard and closed the gate behind her.

He looked up from where he was sitting and his mouth went dry. He gulped and tried hard not to stare as he stood up. It was difficult not to, though, when he now knew she had a body like that. He stood there for a minute like a gaping idiot, and then finally he managed to snap out of it.

“Glad you could join me, love.”

She blushed slightly under his scrutiny, knowing he’d been staring at her body. She wrapped her arms around herself and looked up at him. She had to admit that he was really hot; his lean built arms and legs, his washboard abs, his icy blue eyes, his spiky peroxide hair, and his beautifully sculpted cheekbones.

He was like a life-size sculpture that should be stuck in a museum and worshiped. Her eyes briefly flickered down to his lower half before she looked away, blushing a light pink. The trunks he was wearing didn’t hide anything and she could see that he had a rather large… package.

Looking down at the ground, she mumbled, “Thanks” in response to his earlier statement.

He’d noticed where her eyes had gone and he smirked internally. Outwardly, though, he kept his cool and looked nonchalant.

“I brought out some soda and fruit for us to snack on. Is Coke okay with you?”

He raised a questioning brow and she nodded. He handed her one of the cans and opened the other, sipping it then putting it down. She opened hers as well and drank a little, before gingerly plucking some red grapes from the fruit bowl. He chuckled as he watched, and she looked up with wide eyes.

“What?”

He shrugged and said, “You’re just adorable, love.”

Her cheeks tinted a light pink and he chuckled some more, causing her to chuck a grape at him with a shy, playful smile.

He was surprised by her actions, but happy that she seemed to be coming out of her shell. He got an idea just then and grinned from ear to ear. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously then squealed as he threw a handful of grapes at her. She threw one back at him with a giggle, and a grape fight ensued.

When all the grapes were gone, they collapsed on the grass giggling. He looked over at her and smiled softly. She was so beautiful right now, relaxed in the grass with a big smile on her face. He found himself wanting to kiss her. It would be so easy. They were lying fairly close and all he’d have to do…

He shook the thought off and sat up slowly. Now wasn’t the time for that. They barely knew each other and he didn’t want to scare her.

“Ready for a swim, love?”

She blushed at how he kept calling her ‘love’, and she nodded with a small smile.

He stood up and extended his hand toward her, to help her up. She took it and stood up as well. She brushed the grass off the backs of her legs, and then looked up when she heard a loud splash. A loud squeak followed as Spike splashed some of the water on her with a smirk.

She narrowed her eyes and jumped in the pool, intentionally splashing water on him to get revenge. They had a mini splashing contest then Spike called a halt to it, to ask if she wanted to go down the slide. She looked at the slide with wide eyes and chewed on her lower lip.

“I dunno. It looks really high.”
“It’s mean to be that way. It’s part of the fun.”

She looked at the slide like it was a vile poison, so he smiled reassuringly.
“I’ll be right here, love, and I won’t let anything happen to you.”

She relaxed a little and sighed before agreeing.
“Okay.”

She got out of the pool and climbed the ladder on the slide. She gripped the hand rails tightly when she reached the top. It had seemed high before, but now that she was up there… it was terrifying. She probably would’ve chickened out if Spike hadn’t been down there waiting for her.

She sat down on top of the slide and closed her eyes as she pushed off. She squealed loudly as she went down and landed with a big splash. Spike chuckled as she surfaced and she glared at him. Her glare didn’t last long, though. She suddenly grinned from ear to ear and burst into giggles.

“That was so fun! I have to do it again!”

She hopped out of the pool and hurried to the top to go down again.

Spike smiled as he watched her having fun. Before she’d seemed pretty miserable, and now she looked like she was really happy.

After another few rounds she stopped and said, “I have to take a break from all the fun.” She giggled a little and smiled.

He smiled back at her and gulped when she got out of the pool. Her body was covered in little water droplets that sparkled in the sunlight, and they slowly coursed over her skin. Her breasts were barely covered by the bikini top and he could see her nipples through the material.

He groaned inwardly and was forced to stay in the water for a bit to hide his reaction to her. After his anatomy had returned to normal, he climbed out of the pool and joined her on the patio. He sat across from her at the table and raised a brow.

“Are you hungry, pet?”

She smiled at the fact that he was being so nice to her. No one, aside from her mother, had ever been this nice before.

“A little bit I guess.”

He thought it was adorable when she was shy and blushing around him. It made him want to kiss her all over again, but more than that even if made him want to help her open up.

“I could have mum make us some lunch,” he offered.

She ducked her head with another cute blush, and it caused him to chuckle lightly. He stood up slowly and stretched his arms behind his head, and then he walked to the door and turned to face her.

“Would you like to come inside?”

She opened and closed her mouth a few times. Then she reasoned quietly, “But I would get your floor wet.”

He arched a brow at that. “No more than I will, pet. Besides, that’s what towels are for.”

She slowly nodded and got up, walking over to him. “Okay.”

He let her inside then went to the linen closet to get them some dry towels. They’d already used their beach towels to dry off outside, so they wouldn’t do any good. He fetched two large, fluffy towels and brought them to the kitchen.

He noticed her shivering a little, so he wrapped one of the towels around her snugly, before wrapping the other around himself. She gave him a grateful smile and looked around the kitchen, not sure what to do. With perfect timing, Anne entered the kitchen and was surprised to see a girl in her house, especially one she didn’t know.

Spike hurriedly took on the responsibility of introducing them.

“Mother… this is Buffy. She lives next door. Buffy… this is my mum.”

Anne jumped in at that point, with a warm smile, and said, “Please dear… call me Anne.”

She wrapped Buffy in a warm hug then smiled brightly. Buffy froze a little at first, not used to being hugged by strangers, but then she hugged the woman back with a smile. It was nice to be accepted with open arms.

“I’m assuming you two are getting hungry.”

Spike nodded eagerly and Buffy giggled. Anne got to work making each of them a sandwich, served with fresh fruit and soda. They sat on the bar stools at the kitchen counter while they ate, and they managed to keep up a pleasant conversation the whole time.

Buffy actually joined in a bit and Spike was glad to see her talking more. She was starting to realize more and more that she really liked her neighbors.


Chapter End Notes:
You know what I just love? Reviews *grins* Please?