Chapter 4: Fate

(August 11th)

When Monday rolled around, Buffy was actually looking forward to it. On Friday Snyder had informed her that she’d be tutoring a student who was failing. It wasn’t that she wanted to do it, because she actually dreaded the thought, but curiosity had been driving her crazy all weekend.

Mostly she was wondering whom she’d be tutoring, and if her life was about to become more of a living hell than it already was. She dropped her bag in her locker and gathered up her books. She then headed straight for Snyder’s office, as he’d instructed her on Friday. She was supposed to be meeting the student there.

When she got to his office she bit her lip and hesitantly knocked on the door. A harsh, “Come in” was what she got in response. She went inside and her eyes widened like saucers when she saw who was sitting in front of Snyder’s desk. He turned to look at her and his eyes widened as well.

She’d been expecting some stupid jock, and he’d been expecting one of the school geeks. It was an understatement to say they were both relieved at their fate. Snyder narrowed his eyes and she quickly sat down next to Spike.

“Summers, you’ll be tutoring Giles here until he has all of his grades as B’s or better.”

She frowned a little at that, wondering how bad his grades actually were at the moment.

Snyder continued with, “I’ll expect you two to meet at least three times a week, two hours at a time, until this is accomplished.”

He snickered a little, and it was obvious to both of them that he didn’t think it was even possible. Buffy bit her lip then grudgingly nodded her agreement.

She wouldn’t really mind tutoring Spike, since he was fairly nice, but that was an extra six hours a week she’d be spending on school. She already lived most of her life doing something academic, but now she’d be a loser for sure.

She looked over at Spike and noticed he looked thoroughly pissed with the whole situation. She had no doubt that he hated the prospect of doing homework. From what she’d heard, he had a habit of ditching classes and not doing his homework.

It was as if Snyder had read her mind at that very moment.

“In addition to the tutoring, you’ll be required to attend ALL of your classes, and turn in ALL of your work completed. If you fail to meet any of these conditions, I can expel you because of that fight you had with Mr. O’Connor.”

Spike gulped a little as things just kept going downhill for him. It was going to be really hard for him to follow all of the rules, considering he wasn’t used to following any of them. He decided at the moment it was best to be polite, even though he desperately hated Snyder. He didn’t want to get in any more trouble.

“Yes, sir.”

Snyder got a smug, victorious look on his face, and then he dismissed them from his office with strict instructions to head straight for class. Buffy chewed on her lip as they were walking down the hall, and then she turned her head to look at him.

“How bad are your grades exactly?”

He gave her the ‘Do I have to tell you?’ look, and she nodded with a small smirk. He grumbled to himself then sighed.

“I’ve got a 42 in Spanish, a 67 in Algebra 3, a 71 in Computer Apps., and…”

He hesitated and she raised her brows questioningly. After hearing that he had a 42 in one class, she wouldn’t really be surprised by anything.

“Well… I’ve got a 96 in Creative Writing.”

Her eyes widened and she stopped walking. She’d been wrong. She was surprised.

“That’s great!” Then she frowned and asked curiously, “So if you’re capable of doing that well, then why are you doing so badly in your other classes?”

He coughed and looked down at the ground, blushing slightly as he admitted, “I’m just a good writer, love. Other than that, I’m terrible with academic stuff.”

She raised a brow challengingly and said, “I think you’re just too lazy to find out how smart you are.”

His mouth dropped open and he gave her a mock offended look.

“Now that hurts, love.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled, getting a smile out of him as well. They walked to their first period together, since they were in the same Algebra 3 class. Spike opened the door for her then followed her inside. She went over to the teacher, who was glaring at them, and explained where they’d been.

Spike took his seat with his friends and they all gave him questioning looks He waved his hand and gave them that look that said, ‘Don’t ask.’ Buffy turned to go back to her normal seat, in the back corner of the room, but Spike caught her attention and motioned to the empty seat next to him.

She bit her lip and slowly made her way over to him, sitting down and noticing that the whole class was staring at her like she was a freak.

Spike noticed too and sent a glare to everyone in the room. The other students suddenly found what the teacher was saying to be very interesting. Buffy ducked her head and wrung her hands in her lap. Spike was about to ask her if she was okay, when Faith tossed a note on his desk.

F: What’s up with blondie joining us?

Spike arched a brow and quickly wrote back.

S: Why? Does it matter?

F: She just doesn’t exactly fit in with our group.

S: I don’t care about that. She’s my next door neighbor and she’s fun to be around.

F: So have you fucked her yet?

Spike frowned when he read that. She had a point, though. He normally would’ve at least made an effort to get in her pants. But with Buffy… he hadn’t.

S: I’m not after that.

F: So you’re telling me you DON’T wanna fuck her?

S: I didn’t say that. I’m just… taking it slow. We’re not even dating.

F: Normally that wouldn’t matter to you. What the hell is wrong with you? Did you go and get a personality transplant over the weekend?

S: Something like that, yeah…

Faith rolled her eyes and crumpled the note up after she’d read it, not even bothering to answer.

Buffy looked up and over at Spike, and she noticed he looked upset. She pulled a pen and a piece of paper from her notebook, and she quickly scribbled him a note.

B: Are you okay?

S: Yeah, love. Why do you ask?

B: You just looked upset.

S: I’m all right, love. Promise.

B: Okay. That’s good.

S: So when’s our first tutoring lesson?

B: Are you busy this afternoon?

S: No. You?

B: This afternoon, then. We could also do it Wednesday and Friday.

S: Sounds good to me, love.

They shared a small smile and Buffy tucked the note away in her pocket. They finished off the period by trying to appear as if they were paying attention to the teacher. In reality they just kept sneaking glances at each other, when they thought the other wasn’t looking.

When the bell rang they gathered their things and left, both excited about that afternoon. They saw each other again in their fourth period computer class, and they sat by each other again.

When the last bell of the day rang they met up at Buffy’s locker, and Spike offered to give her a ride home. They got in his car and headed off to his house for their tutoring session.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review!