Chapter 2: First Step

Buffy went to lunch and sat with Willow. They chatted freely about classes and the boys in school. After lunch she attended her last few classes and told Willow she'd meet her in the quad. When the bell rang at the end of the day, Buffy made it slowly through the crowded halls and into the art classroom. She walked over to the desk she had been sitting in earlier and picked up her book; it was luckily still there.

Soon after first period had ended, Spike had realized that Buffy had left her book in his room. He'd left it in the same spot for her and had made sure no one sat at the desk. For some reason he liked to think of it as 'Buffy's desk' and he didn't want anyone else invading the space. The rest of the class periods went by smoothly, without him lusting for any of his other students, and by the end of the day he was fairly happy with the new year.

His new classes were a vast improvement on the previous ones. He was sitting at his desk doodling on a sheet of paper, to keep himself distracted from the papers that needed grading, when he heard someone enter the room. He looked up and was surprised to find Buffy in his room once again. He realized she must have come for her book and he smiled awkwardly at her. "Hello..."

She turned around quickly, startled by the voice behind her, after she had picked up her book. "Hi," she said blushing immediately. "I didn't see you when I came in. I... uh... left my book in here earlier." She raised the book to show him. "I guess I'm already being irresponsible. That's me, 'Irresponsible Buffy.'

At least that's what my dad tells me. My mom's better... and so's my step dad... and now I realize I'm just jabbering away like I'm nervous or something. That's weird." She got suddenly quiet after running on for a minute. Her nerves were getting the best of her for once. Usually she could contain herself and she was fine talking to people. He was different.

Spike got a little grin on his face as he listened to her rambling on. It was one of the cutest things he'd ever seen. When he realized he was staring, he quickly looked away. He turned his back on her and said, "No worries, love. Everyone has their moments. I've had many today." He chuckled quietly to himself and focused on getting some papers in his briefcase.

He'd just decided it would be pointless to try and grade them at school, since he really wanted to get home as soon as possible. His bed was calling out to him and begging him to take a nap. He turned back around to face her and he gave her another one of his smiles; the kind he didn't have to fake. "I hope you find your perfect subject, Buffy. Every artist deserves to find one in their lifetime."

A smile returned to her face when he seemed fine with her rambling. She loved the way his eyes seemed to light up when he smiled. She watched him put away papers as she stood quietly, now between the doorway and his desk. Rather than head outside to where Willow was waiting for her, she walked towards him as he spoke to her.

It seemed as if he was saying 'Bye,' but she spoke next and tried to open up a conversation with him. "Thank you. I think I'm really going to enjoy this class. Photography has become a passion of mine since my step dad bought me a camera a few months ago. Since you mentioned finding a good inspiration I wanted to ask you something..." She paused and stood by his desk, just a few feet away from him. "What inspires you?"

The last thing Spike had expected was for Buffy to stick around and strike up a conversation with him, but he honestly couldn't say he was disappointed. On the contrary, he was excited to talk to her more and maybe get to know her a little better. His cheeks turned a little red as he thought about what had inspired him throughout the day. He shook his head quickly and muttered, "That's not really important."

Buffy leaned against his desk for a moment and listened to him. He didn't give her much of an answer and she wanted one. She wanted to get to know him better and she didn't know of a better way than talking to him. "Oh, ok. What about your perfect subject? What would be your perfect subject?" She asked in all earnestness. She looked at him and tried to convey how serious she was, but she was doubtful he could see it. "I'd really like to know," she added softly.

He decided it would only be fair to give her a vague idea of what she wanted to know, on account of the fact that she'd mentioned a guy earlier that had "inspired her". He had to stare at the floor as he spoke, however, to keep from turning as red as a tomato. "Well... it's a girl. The perfect girl, actually. She's absolutely gorgeous and I can't seem to keep her off my mind." He smiled in nervousness and a hint of sadness. He didn't think he'd ever get to capture his ‘perfect subject’ on camera, and it would be a bloody miracle if he did.

Buffy curiously watched him as he spoke now. He was finally telling her something. The idea that it was a girl stung a little, but more than anything it piqued her curiosity. There was a sadness she detected in his voice and she wondered why it was there. "She sounds wonderful," Buffy said smiling at him.

Then before she knew it Buffy was making a confession, "I've often wondered what it would be like to pose for a photographer." After saying it she looked down for a moment, almost regretting it, but when she looked back up she met his blue eyes once more and she felt no regret. More than anything she wanted to know what it would feel like to be his 'perfect subject.'

Spike swallowed hard as he stared into her eyes. He was so baffled by all the mixed signals she was throwing at him. He thought he detected a bit of desire in her, and there was definitely a yearning for something. He tilted his head a little and stared silently, almost as if he was in a trance. She had a very powerful effect on him and he knew he needed to get a grip on himself.

He slowly brought himself back to reality and he offered her a shy smile. "I'm sure someone in this class would be willing to photograph you if you'd like." He didn't think any of the students in the class were even close to worthy of photographing someone as beautiful as her, but he couldn't just jump in and offer to do it. That might make her suspicious.

She caught him looking at her out of the corner of her eye and she wondered what it would take to get him to photograph her. He had to make the offer though. She wasn't about to come to him for that, but she guessed she had to find a way to show him that's what she wanted.

The idea of one of her classmates photographing just gave her the wiggins. "Nah," she said casually. "I don't really feel that close with anyone in the class, other than my best friend Willow, but that might just be weird. I want someone with more experience to do it." She stopped and then added convincingly, "That way it would teach me a lot more."

That same lump formed in his throat again and he swallowed hard around it. His eyes darted to and fro across the room as he tried to think of how to respond to that. Was she suggesting he photograph her? Surely his luck wasn't that great... As he looked back at her it appeared that that was what she wanted and his heart skipped a beat. He shifted slightly and offered quietly, "I could do it... if you're interested."

He actually offered. She couldn't believe it. How was she this lucky? "Really?" she asked almost in disbelief. "You'd do that... for ME?" Buffy put a finger to her chest. "I'd love it if you would."

He couldn't stop a goofy grin from splitting across his face when she accepted his offer. He was going to get to photograph this lovely girl in front of him. No... She wasn't a girl. She was too mature to be called that. This lovely blossom in front of him was definitely a woman. 'She's also your student, you bloody prat.' His mind berated him for the thoughts he was having; all the ways he'd like to photograph her. Instead he tried to focus on all the ways he actually could photograph her.

Buffy was still a little shocked that he'd agreed to it, but she didn't want him to change his mind. So she moved forward, stepping a little closer to him, and said "Thank you so much. Umm..." She hesitated for a moment, and then she continued, "When do you want to start?" There was a little nervousness in her voice. She hoped he wouldn't pick it up.

Fortunately for her, any nervousness he could've sensed was far overshadowed by his own nervousness. He looked down at her and tried to keep on a straight face. "Well I had an idea that would involve driving out to some fields on the edge of town. So Saturday would probably be best."

"I can do that." She was now smiling more easily. Her cheeks were holding their color too. Buffy was wary of what her mom or even Willow would think of this though, so she tried to think of a place she could meet him without a lot of attention.

"Could you pick me up at my house?" She asked anyway, thinking she could get her mom out of the house if need be. "Just give me a time. Here's my address." She wrote it down on a piece of paper. "And my phone number is there too... my personal line." She smiled a little nervously.

His eyes widened a little at the thought of going to her house, where they'd probably be all alone. This wasn't good. He swallowed hard and looked away from her, silently accepting the piece of paper from her and tucking it into his pocket. "How's eleven? That would give us time to get out there... before it's too hot." The end of summer hadn't passed yet, and the sun tended to be a real killer in the afternoon.

“Sounds great!” she said, trying not to sound too excited, while inside she was secretly rejoicing. There was a part of her that was screaming for her to stop, but she couldn’t. Just then her phone rang. It was Willow. “Oh, Will! I forgot. I’ll be right there.” Buffy closed her phone and turned back to her teacher. “I’ve got to go. A friend has been waiting for me. I guess I’ll see you in class tomorrow.”

Spike was a little disappointed when Buffy's phone rang and she informed him she had to leave. He nodded at her and said, "Right. I'll see you in class, Buffy. Maybe you could stay after one day this week so we can further discuss Saturday?" Really he just wanted to spend more time around her, but that was the perfect excuse to have her stay.

"That sounds like a good idea. I can stay tomorrow if that works for you." Buffy was excited to be spending more time alone with him. Her mom would just think she was studying in the library or hanging out with Willow. For some reason she was more worried about what Willow would think at this point.

He had to stop himself from grinning ear to ear. "That works for me, love. I’m looking forward to it." Of course, he was looking forward to it a lot more than he'd admit. More and more he found himself wishing he could have her. He finished putting the papers in his briefcase and he closed it up. "Walk you out?"

All Buffy could do was smile when he said he was looking forward to it. He seemed so enthusiastic and yet she got the feeling he was nervous too. It all felt a little strange and yet she could feel her heart flutter with each smile he showed her, and each time she caught his steel blue eyes on her. "I'd like that." As they walked out she thanked him once more and then they separated.

He was reluctant to leave her, but he gave her a smile and a nod nonetheless before he departed. "I'll see you tomorrow, pet." There he went and did it again, calling her 'pet' like they were in some sort of relationship. Pfft! He wished! He hurried to his car and drove home quickly, thoughts of her still running rampant through his mind.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review!