Spike whistled as he walked up her stairs, freshly washed towel in hand. It would serve a noble purpose, much nobler then drying his hair the night before, this towel was his in into her house.

He glanced at his watch, ten in the morning, not too early and not too late. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door, and when it opened he sucked in a breath.

“You’re gorgeous” he blurted out before turning slightly red and thrusting the towel in her face.

She laughed, “I’m wearing a tank top and jogging pants Spike, but thank you…for shooting laundry in my face, coffee?”

He ran a shaky hand through his hair and smiled nervously before adding a “Yes please.”

She obviously had no qualms with people walking through her house, which was very modernly decorated to his surprise. You didn’t find much chic in the country. Her two couches were deep chocolate brown leather with a pastel blue accent chair. Her curtains were billowing softly and he noticed they were the same color as the chair with almost invisible pin stripes that matched the couches. The coffee table and end tables were all glass tops with beautifully designed cast iron frames and legs. What shocked him the most was the massive television set up she had, and was that a PS3?

He wandered into the kitchen and noticed the clean top white cupboards and the charcoal bottom colors that matched the wall opposite. A small glass coffee table with long legs stood in one corner flanked black stools with backs.

“Not the average country bumpkin place you were expecting?” she asked with a smile in her voice.

“”Not at all, it’s refreshing to find a place here that doesn’t have wicker from left to right on every floor.”

She laughed, “That’s what I thought too. How do you take your coffee?”

“Black with four sugars please”, at her raised eyebrow he leered and added, “Can’t help it if I’ve got a sweet tooth now can I, sugar?”

“Were you this lame in high school? I really don’t remember you sounding this desperate.”

“Hey now, give a bloke a break.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled, “Feel like drinking this outside? I usually sit out there a bit in the mornings when it’s nice enough.”

“Sure thing kitten” Spike answered, rushing to open the back door for her while she grabbed the tray holding their beverages and a small bowl of grapes.

“Wow” was all Spike could say when he looked at her backyard at the furniture and flowers that decorated it. It looked like something out of a magazine. In the middle of the yard there was a tiled off area in a slate gray that matched the outdoor couch and two loveseats. In the middle was a table that looked like the one found in her living room but this was longer and lower to the ground. The deep red cushions matched the gerber daisies that adorned the whole of one side of the fence. On the other side lay several cherry trees, perfectly spaced and pruned. He could see the fairy lights nestled into the branches and foliage everywhere, as well as woven into the trellis that took up the back fence of the yard, in the middle of it was a door that would lead into the now empty space that had been used for her horses, no wonder she’d closed it off he thought with a heavy heart.

“It must be beautiful out here at night, have you ever thought of becoming an interior designer or a landscape designer?”

She nodded her head as they sat down and took their coffees, “I have, but I love working with the horses too much to devote much time to anything else.”

“Have you ever had a party out here?” he asked, curious.

“No, I just finished this a few weeks back, it’s still new.”

“You should have one, invite the gang, have a bbq, and celebrate the summer in style.”

She smirked at him, “And you would come?”

“Of course.”

“Mmm hmmm”, she put her coffee down on the table, “Don’t you think it would be a lot easier to ask me out then to have me plan a party?”

He spit his coffee onto the grass and laughed, “Probably, but I’m playing hard to get.”

It was her turn to laugh at the sight he’d made and the corny line he’d shot back, “Spike, I’m going to the bar tonight, I’ll be dateless and open to a few dances should you make it there. Also, I’m having a bbq next weekend, say around seven o’clock, would you like to come?”

“I don’t know….”

“Asshole.”

“You love it.”
“I used to at least, so, you’ll be there?”

“Wouldn’t miss it, you can tell the gang tonight at the bar which I’ll be making sure we’ll be going to” he said with a wink and a small smile as he got up, “Well, I better be off, I guess I’ll see you at my place later?”

“Yup, I’ll be there, I’ll walk you out.”

When they reached the front door he was at a loss for what to say, something casual? Something funny? Something sweet?

He just stood there staring while Buffy watched him open his mouth several times only to close it a split second later, she was clearly amused as she closed the distance between them, leaving only a hair of space so she could speak.

“You used to be more outgoing.”

“Never was to your extent though kitten” he said, heartbeat accelerating, he could smell the vanilla and honey body-wash on her skin and it was driving him wild.

“See you tonight cowboy” she said with a wink and before he even knew how it happened he was on the front balcony again with the door closed in his face.

“What the hell just happened?” he asked out loud, “Buffy Summers” came his silent mental reply.

He smirked as he walked to his truck and gunned the engine, two could play at this game, and he was willing to bet he could play hard, almost as hard as she'd made him just before kicking him out of the house. He adjusted himself and sighed happily before pulling out of her driveway.


Chapter End Notes:
thanks for everyone supporting this, i'm so grateful to those of you who take the time to lemme know what you think, hope you enjoy!