Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi again. *waves* Thanks for reviewing and for supporting me, everyone! *hugs* You guys rock!






Thanks SO much to Christine for beta-ing this! You're brilliance in every way, darling! Love you! *hugs*






I'lll be updating every 4-6 days, since the next two chapters are already completed and beta'd! So I *will* be updating, rest assured! =)






Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.
“The next few weeks will be intense and incredibly hard,” Ethan announced, his eyes skimming the group of adolescents before him. “The opening game is always the most important, the most sacred. It is the mark of a new beginning of a soccer era; new players will play for the first time and old players will continue to live the dream.”




He paused, a small smile playing on his lips. “Perhaps, by next season, we shall see a few familiar faces on a strong team.”




Doyle raised his hand, moving into a kneeling position on the grass so he could see Ethan better. “When exactly will we be drafted? How exactly will we be drafted, I mean.”




“The very last game before play-offs, there will be important representatives from international teams who will come to observe our team. Every year, the L.A. Slayers traditionally bring in young, new players for drafting purposes. It’s why we’re so highly recognized; many of the greatest, strongest players you see today were once on our team, and went through the same training processes you will go through. Additionally, if you were interested, for those of you who are not drafted, some of you will be asked to return home. A select few may be asked to stay and remain on the team until the next season rolls around, where you can be re-evaluated. We rarely do this, considering there are so many young players out there who need the spots on our team.”




“And if we make it to play-offs?” Oz asked.




Ethan shrugged. “Then, you play simply to win. Evaluation ends before play-offs. Obviously, it will no longer make a difference if we win the play-offs and you’ve already been chosen to be drafted once the season officially ends.”




Everyone digested this information as Ethan and other coaches hurried to set up the Arena with pylons, rope and other things to create sectors across the field.




Buffy was seated on the grass, her legs drawn up to her chest as she leaned her chin heavily on her knees. She watched wearily as the goalposts were set up; Mallory, who was helping to align it on the field correctly, glanced swiftly in Buffy’s direction. Buffy saw the faint traces of disappointment on Mallory’s face and resented this; what did Mallory’s opinion matter anyhow? *Faith* would have been more optimistic, in her oddly sarcastic, bitter way. She would have told Buffy that, no matter what, at least she was on the team and she would be able to play.




Sighing, she stood and stretched, watching her fellow team mates did the same as Ethan ordered them to their respective positions on the field. Staring longingly at Darla, Drusilla and Spike, she forced herself to look away when Spike’s gaze met hers. She didn’t like the way this boy made her feel; he was oddly comforting and frustrating at the same time and she was worried. She couldn’t allow her feelings for him to escalate further; if making it to superstardom in the soccer realm meant severing any possible ties with Spike, so be it. Right?




“Right, the first lesson I’d like to get to today is playing as a team,” Ethan was yelling. The team had been dispersed throughout the field, and everyone strained to hear the outspoken coach. Buffy had yet to determine her true feelings for her new coach; she knew that deep down, she *should* resent him for taking away her desired position. But, what did that say about her character? Did it mean she assumed herself incapable of adapting? She snorted inwardly at this; no, she would not resent Ethan for his choice. She settled with pity, for his misunderstanding of her true abilities. The arrogance in Buffy emerged and a blissful smile blossomed over her face. Oh, she would show him she could adapt, all right.




“I think many of you are used to playing as an individual,” Ethan said. He looked around at everyone before adding, “Not all of you, but *many* of you.”




He walked around the field as he spoke. “The first step to building a strong, unbreakable team is to learn how to work together to create one.”




He gestured to the midfielders, Doyle and Oz. “These young men have to be able to work with the forwards,” he motioned over at Darla, Dru and Spike, “in order to be successful. They play between the midfielders and they must be able to communicate with them effectively.”




Then, he nodded his head in Dawn, Tara and Riley’s direction. “The fullbacks’ responsibility is to defend their net. They, in turn, must be able to communicate with their forwards, if they wish to do this successfully.”




Looking around at everyone, a strange smile appeared on his face. “So you see,” he continued, waving his hands about. “A *good* team scores a lot. A *great* team scores a lot, as a *team*.”




“Now, before we go into a more grueling introduction to this lesson, I’d first like to be able to get a glimpse of what you are all like when you are in playing mode.” Ethan clapped his hands once. “So! I’m going to ask you to play five minutes of game time.”




Several hands rose into the air.




Ethan nodded. “Yes, yes, I know. Who will play the opposing team? Well, let’s divide positions a bit.” He glanced at everyone, mentally sorting everything out before voicing his orders. “Darla, take the second net, since you and Buffy are equally apt to defend.”




Darla glanced swiftly at Buffy with a trace of smugness in her pretty features, before trudging to the net, looking back at Spike with a longing expression.




“Tara will defend Buffy, since she definitely has an advanced skill level that Dawn and Riley have yet to attain,” Ethan declared, waiting impatiently for Tara to run over to Buffy’s position. Dawn and Riley exchanged resentful looks at Ethan’s flippant comment, before heading over to Darla at the opposite end of the field.




“Spike will act as forward for Darla’s team, and Drusilla will, correspondingly, be Buffy’s,” Ethan affirmed, waving Spike over to Darla and watching Drusilla head to Buffy’s side, taking her appropriate spot on the field.




“Ah, yes, and then our midfielders,” Ethan said, studying the three men before him. “Oz and Doyle will take Darla’s side, and Angel can be Buffy’s.”




Buffy nearly gasped at the wording that Ethan had chosen. Angel, hers? She saw Angel staring at her with an oddly amused expression on his pale face, as he strode to his position on the field.




Ethan nodded, looking satisfied. “Good, good.” He looked over at Swampson, gesturing for her to throw the soccer ball that she was clutching to her chest. She obliged, tossing the ball over. Ethan caught it gracefully, returning his attention back to his team. “All right, five minutes! You have *five minutes* to show me what you’ve got. Ready?” And with that, he tossed the ball in the center, leaving Spike and Drusilla to kick it. Drusilla’s determination overpowered Spike’s strength, causing the ball to fly over to Darla’s side of the field. It landed near Dawn and Riley, who bumped into each other in the process of running for the ball. Riley shot Dawn a contemptuous glare and shoved her away, advancing toward the idle ball and kicking it to his midfielders, Oz and Doyle. Doyle caught it in the curve of his shoe, running with it for a few seconds before he decided that it was safe to pass back to Spike.




Spike handled the ball well with his feet, spectacularly dodging Drusilla’s desperate attempts to steal it. Finally, before Spike had reached Angel’s section of the field, Drusilla managed to roughly seize his arm and spin him around, throwing him slightly off balance due to surprise at her violent actions. Drusilla took advantage of his pause and stole the ball, traveling across the field with Angel running fast behind her, prepared to assist his forward in any way. Drusilla refused to acknowledge him, instead maneuvering the ball up and into the space between her legs as she jumped over Oz, who slid on his stomach on the ground. She barely heard Angel’s determined shouts to pass it to him, since he was wide open. Then, Doyle managed to collide with Drusilla, in such a way that she was still standing, but he had moved around her entire body, taking the ball with him.




He quickly passed it off to Spike, who nodded in brief thanks, before turning away to travel up the field. Drusilla, who was more than exhausted at her little trip from one side of the field to the other, was busy arguing loudly with an angry Angel.




“What the hell is wrong with you? Don’t you know how to pass?” Angel was saying.




“Why were you even up here? You’re not a forward! Keep to your fucking position!”




On and on they went, neglecting that Spike was quickly taking the lead with Oz, who was running about three feet away from him. Spike saw Tara running up to him, the only defender on Buffy’s side, since Angel and Drusilla had so carelessly abandoned their posts. He glanced sideways at Oz, making several hand gestures, who nodded in understanding at Spike’s desperate attempt at silent communication.




Tara did not acknowledge Oz; she saw Spike running up with the ball, thinking he would probably try to get around her, pass to Oz and then shoot. She mistakenly tried to steal the ball away, the heel of her shoe sliding against the ground dangerously as she slipped onto her back. Groaning inwardly, she watched with dread-filled eyes at Spike instantly passed to Oz, causing him to simply jump over Tara’s fallen form with caution. Oz ran up a bit, before passing back to Spike, who prepared to make his shot.




******




Buffy watched with interest as the game played out before her; she had to admit, she did feel more than envious that it was not she who was enjoying the exhilaration of the game. Watching Drusilla course the field like a pro lit a fire deep inside of her, one she intended to keep alive forever. The same fire was her motivation to play, her competitive streak and her will to do anything it took to become a professional soccer player. Still, if Ethan felt she should be goalie, perhaps this was a test of sorts. And Buffy, being Buffy, was determined to pass. She sensed this game was not only to test the teamwork level, but to gauge the skill level of each player. Buffy knew that each player was individually gifted; why would they be here otherwise? However, she knew that this didn’t necessarily mean they knew how to play as a team. She figured Ethan wanted to cut his work out for him.




Buffy’s attention grew sharper, more focused, when she saw that the offensive side, Darla’s team, was rapidly approaching the net. She was furious that Drusilla and Angel had actually *left* their positions, she couldn’t even imagine where their heads were. Despite her budding friendship with Angel, it pissed her off that they hadn’t even made an effort to keep as a team. What kind of impression were they making on Ethan? Didn’t they care? Buffy entertained the thought that perhaps she was only one of a few who was actually serious about being drafted; others appeared to be more relaxed. If they weren’t, she wondered why they were making so little effort to prove to Ethan that they were good players.




These thoughts were barely considered for another moment when Buffy was forced to pay much closer attention to the game. Alarmed, she watched as Tara wiped out on the field and left the net open to Spike and Oz, who were skillfully passing back and forth to each other. The pass ended with Spike, and their gazes locked as he prepared to take his shot. Buffy tensed and coiled her body, waiting to spring when he made his shot.
Bringing his left leg back, Spike drew it forward with as much force as he could muster. He angled his foot to a 45 degree angle, hoping to catch just the inner corner of the net. Watching as the shot was made, he viewed Buffy preparing to make the save.




Seeing the ball coming to her right side, she hastily lunged forward, bringing her body off of the ground for a moment. It was enough time for her to gain even more momentum, sending her in the direction of the inner corner of the net. She thrust her arms forward and curled her calves to maintain her position for a split second longer…and caught the ball in her waiting arms.




She nearly crashed into the right goalpost as she landed but managed to fall sideways, on her left side, the ball clutched tightly in her hold. Her breath coming out in gasps, she realized with growing shock that she had made her very first save as a goalie; a damn good one at that. Standing with shaking legs, she raised her eyes to her team mates. Spike’s face met hers first; his expression looked positively…proud? She quickly looked away, refusing to dissect the meaning of *that*. She decided she wanted to see Ethan’s expression; what she saw was very interesting, very interesting indeed. He looked smug, haughty and self-satisfied, as if he had expected her beautiful save beforehand.




He tore his eyes away from her, his expression returning stoic. “Okay, everyone come over here!” he called. Everyone shuffled over to where he was standing and collapsed on the grass, watching him expectantly.




“*That* was pitiful,” he announced bluntly. “With the exception of Miss Summers’s stunning save, I can’t say I’m happy with the productivity of that particular game.”




Buffy’s expression was one of utter astonishment. He, Ethan Rayne, the man who had placed *three* defensemen on her, the man who had taken away the exhilaration of being a forward, the man who *seemed* to faintly favor Drusilla over her, had praised *her*?




Well, fuck *that*. She hadn’t made the save for him, not really. She knew that moments before she had made it that it was her intention to impress him, to prove to him that she could do anything. But when she had actually been in the moment, making the save, all thoughts of Ethan Rayne, Spike Pratt and Drusilla de Veer had disappeared. Only one thought remained: make the save!




She suddenly had a newfound respect for her position; she had never before attempted the position of goalie. Her infatuation with being a forward had closed her off to other possibilities, other positions. Nevertheless, the immensely proud sensation that had taken over, the knowledge that it was *she* who had saved her team from the shame of a goal…well, it was a fucking *fantastic* feeling.




Buffy listened with slightly deaf ears as Ethan droned on and on about teamwork and the different tactics that each position, with the exception of goalie, could use to operate as a finely tuned team. By the end of practice, Buffy had never felt prouder.




******




As Buffy headed out of the change room, freshly showered and changed, she made way for the doors. She was hungry and eager to eat dinner soon. Although she had a *ton* of homework, she really didn’t feel like doing it. Thoughts of her mother flashed across her mind and she felt immediately guilty. Despite Joyce’s lack of support for her soccer career, she knew that the only reason she was even here in L.A. was because of her. She supposed she only owed it to Joyce to keep her grades decent. As she mentally planned her post-dinner homework schedule, she pushed open the doors to the Arena and headed out of the main entrance. She gave Kate Lockley a half-hearted wave, which was obviously not returned from the stony-faced secretary, and left the building. It was November and a little bit chilly out; Buffy shivered slightly, pulling her Nike hoodie closer to her body.




Hailing a taxi cab, she jumped inside, relishing the warmer atmosphere of the car. Heading back to the hotel, she reflected idly on practice that afternoon.




TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews would SO awesome!! *grins*