Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks SO much to Christine for beta-ing this! She is truly the awesome-est person EVER. Really. No joke. I totally love her! =)

Thanks go to kegan and PhotographyNut for reviewing the last chapter! Love you guys too! =-)

I hope you guys enjoy this. I already have the next four chapters written and beta-ed, so I'll be posting randomly throughout the week. =p

Enjoy and reviews are more than welcome! xD

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.
Buffy sensed Spike’s eyes on her as she made her way into the classroom. Spike followed, then Angel, then Drusilla. It had appeared that they were put in the same class. Darla, Dawn and the others were placed farther down the hall, separated by their swim mates. Buffy cursed her pitiful luck, being stuck with the worst possible people. Spike, a guy who was incredibly sexy and seemed relatively attractive to her, Angel with puppy dog eyes and sweet innocent that would make any cold soul befriend him and Drusilla, an evil bitch who just scared the hell out of everyone who met her. Except Buffy. Buffy found Dru’s antics quite entertaining and pitied anyone who went out with her.



“Welcome to Hemery High, kids. My name is Miss Caldwell and I will be your English teacher for year 12,” the woman was petite, her pixie hairdo suitably framing her pretty face. She had high cheekbones that made her look exceptionally young, but at the same time, she looked cutely bookish. She wore a tweed skirt and jacket set, with silk collared shirt to add. The spiked black heels she wore made her look just a little bit taller than she really was. Buffy liked her. She seemed like a nice, genuine woman.



The four nodded in response and proceeded to finding empty seats. Angel and Drusilla found two beside each other and Buffy spied one in the back of the class. Realizing with mild dismay that there was another empty one beside it, she knew Spike would be sitting with her. Great.



Plopping down noisily on her seat, she placed her books on her desk and ignored the stares that Spike were sending her way.



“Looks like I’ll be your company love,” she heard his sexy voice whisper, barely loud enough for her to hear. When she glanced up, she saw his face was turned in Miss Caldwell’s direction with intensive listening. She had to admit, he was stealthy.



“Oh joy,” she muttered and leaned back in her chair, arms folded stubbornly over her chest.



She saw the corners on Spike’s lips turn upwards slightly. “Really? I’m so touched, pet.”



Sighing with exasperation, she felt mild hatred for the annoyance beside her. “You really love hearing your own voice, don’t you?” she said under her breath, careful to be quiet.



“That I do, luv. That I do…” his voice trailed off, the playfulness evident in his obvious declaration.



“Miss Summers, would you care to tell us your opinion about Othello? I’d like to hear perspectives from different genders, ages and people respectively,” Miss Caldwell smiled up at her and Buffy sighed. She could see Spike looking at her curiously, waiting for her response. Buffy had always been an avid reader, loving books next to soccer. She loved coming home from neighborhood soccer games and collapsing on her bed with a good book in tow. She recalled Othello, a fun read a few years back. It had been a most interesting read. Revenge, misunderstanding, and misconceptions of people. It was so common and so easy to transfer to real life. It was a great metaphor for rumors and taking things for face value. Buffy had always yearned to discuss it intelligently with her friends or parents but they had more important things to do and she was left alone to ponder her own thoughts about emotionally and physiologically controversial books like Othello. Buffy relished in the thought that she would be able to openly share her thoughts with other people.



She cleared her throat, somehow uncomfortable with the crowd despite her easiness during a soccer game. It was kind of ironic. “Well,” she started, her tanned face glowing pink at the sound of snickers across the classroom. Drusilla was staring at her, reveling in her discomfort. “Could you be more specific?”



Miss Caldwell shrugged. “Okay, well, how about the themes presented in the story?”



Buffy tilted her head, thoughtfully considering this. “Well there was a number of themes presented in the story, of course. As per usual with Shakespeare,” she grinned with a sense of “geeky” pleasure in the conversation. “But, I think it all comes down to misunderstandings. People spiraled out of control the minute that one tiny misunderstanding went unexplained.”



Miss Caldwell pursed her lips in an approving gesture, nodding. “Yes, you’re right. Judging a book by its cover, that’s an adage that can be understood in a variety of forms. But misunderstanding something before actually getting the chance to immerse yourself in it, teach yourself…that is Othello in its purest form.”



Buffy gave a tiny smile and it faltered when she saw Drusilla’s hand rise. Beside her, Angel grinned approvingly at her.



“Nerd,” he mouthed playfully. Chuckling, she grinned back.



Spike watched the exchange with a pang of jealousy, only half-understanding the placated teasing that was being exchanged. He shoved his own feelings aside and concentrated on how intelligent Buffy seemed to be. He had never met such a multitalented girl before, who had also been a fan of Shakespeare. He also indulged in the woeful tales of old William but found himself to be too ashamed of his passions for poetry and reading.



“Yes, Miss de Veer?” Miss Caldwell nodded towards Drusilla, a teacher-like smile on her face.



“Well,” Drusilla said in her seductively low and raspy voice. All heads, of the male variety, turned to stare at her in awe. Buffy rolled her eyes inwardly. “I must disagree. Othello was only acting like any human would. It is not human nature to question first, act later. We have a tendency to, well, act on our needs. We fail to realize that our partner’s needs outweigh ours. So, I think the main theme presented was human nature in all its glory.”



Buffy stared, aghast and realized she was now into a full force open debate with Drusilla. She was trying to embarrass her and Buffy was not prepared to let her win. She saw Spike looking at Drusilla with a mildly surprised expression on his face and rolled her eyes again.



“But Drusilla,” she started her rebuttal. “That is not human nature. Only the fools of mankind choose to ‘act first and then question’. We are not talking about human nature here. We’re on a completely different plane. We’re talking about the effects of human nature, the aftermath. Human nature has nothing to do with it. Human nature is like natural instinct and basic survival instinct. Othello was acting on misunderstanding, the basis for the story.”



Drusilla rolled her eyes and the class watched on as the two new kids battled it out.



“But the whole thing comes back to human nature. Whether you choose to recognize it or not, it is human nature. If only the ‘fool’s,” she paused to give a sarcastic expression. “Act first, question later then perhaps we all are.”



Buffy cocked her head, a challenging eyebrow raised, meeting her dark hairline. “Oh? So why is it that first instinct tells us that maybe we should consider consulting the involved people first before acting? It is our second thought that instructs us otherwise. It is our second thought that we consider and usually follow. That maybe be human nature but it’s so open to possibilities, it’s deeper than Shakespeare intended to go. Be that as it may though, the basis for this story is open for debate. But I truly believe that misunderstanding is the aftermath of human nature. It is not human nature itself.



Miss Caldwell laughed a soft whispery sound. “Okay kids, enough. I’m glad to see how enthusiastic you are about ol’ Shakes but unfortunately, class is over. We’ll be discussing more tomorrow!” Kids quickly picked up their books and headed out of class for second period.



Buffy slowly gathered her books together, warily aware of the fact that Spike was studying her relentlessly. “That was really brilliant, Buffy.”



He said it so sweetly and sincerely, she stopped for about a split second, considering for a tiny millisecond that this guy might actually be a pretty good catch. More than he let on. Then she remembered the arrogant smirk and annoying swagger and, well, her promise to herself.



“Thanks,” she said sarcastically.



He rolled his eyes, carrying his books under his arm and following her out of the classroom. A small growl escaped his lips. “You’re so bloody stubborn, Summers. Can’t catch a break with you,” he muttered, loud enough for Buffy to hear.



She narrowed her eyes and slowed her pace, allowing him to walk up while she waiting outside the classroom for Angel. She didn’t know why she was allowing this friendship to continue but anything was better than Spike’s sweet words of compliment.



“Hey,” Angel greeted her, books in tow. They headed out to second period gym and walked at a leisurely pace.



“Hey,” she said back, glancing at his dark exterior sideways for a moment. She mentally compared his dark looks to Spike’s and snickered inwardly. There really was no competition; Spike won, hands down. Then she remembered who she was and where she was and pushed all thoughts of Spike out of her head with great force. She refused to think about him anymore, and Angel was a nice distraction. She hated knowing that she would have to very slowly detach herself from him but all things considered, it wasn’t like they were best friends. It wouldn’t hurt him too bad but she’d have to do it in such a way that he wouldn’t get hurt and become her enemy.



“You were great in class today. Drusilla was stupid,” he brushed off the girl with a comically blank face, knowing well and good that Buffy disliked her.



Buffy chuckled. “Thanks. But she did have a point,” Frowning, she turned curiously to Angel as they approached the gym doors. “What do you think? Was it really all down to human nature? Or could it be more specific?”



Angel threw her an empty glance, shrugging. “I don’t know.”



Buffy was slightly disappointed but brushed it off. It wasn’t the first time one of her friends had responded similarly. Pushing open the gym doors, she and Angel entered. They studied the other students heading diligently to the change rooms and followed suit. Buffy was relieved that Mallory had ordered the school gym uniforms in advance. One less reason to stick out. Waving awkwardly to Angel, she headed to the girls’ change rooms. She saw Spike on the opposite side of the room, waggling his eyebrows suggestively at her as he entered the change room with a wink. Flushing furiously, she ducked her head and walked quickly into the change room.



The typical shyness that ensued for certain girls in the change room did not affect Buffy. Eleven years of being in change rooms had converted her into a fairly relaxed change room person.



Pulling off her clothes, she saw girls admiring her form with wary eyes. Buffy knew that all the physical exercise she got kept her in good shape. A flat stomach, non-flabby arms and shapely thighs.



She carefully put on her gym shorts and matting t-shirt, her tanned legs contrasting nicely against the navy blue fabric of the uniform. Ignoring the yearning stares from the weirdo girls, she exited the change room and into the gym where she followed suit and started running laps around the gym. She sensed someone running up behind her and in a second, Spike was beside her. He jogged at a light pace, his lean and athletic body moving easily with the slow speed of the relaxing run. Buffy almost admired him, his beautiful form in motion. Then she saw the smirk on his face and rolled her eyes. She flexed her arms and pounded her feet into the tiled floors of the gym as she maintained her run.



“Race you?” he tilted his head as he looked at her sideways from their run, but she could see his scarred eyebrow cocked in challenge.



Not being able to resist the grin that threatened to take over her face, she shrugged. “Not really a race if you don’t have competition.” She teased. Spike narrowed his eyes playfully and the race ensued.



Running long and fast, they made their laps, cutting corners before they were back to where they started. Spike stumbled in his near flawless run and ran into a triumphant Buffy, causing them both to collide and tumble onto the ground. Spike struggled to fall underneath her, to break her fall and succeeded as his hand shot out instinctively and caught her wrist, willing her on top of his body. They landed in a heap, him on his back and groaning. She placed her hands slowly on his chest and pushed herself upwards, staring down at him with mirth. Then she giggled, hysteria entering the laugh. Then they were both laughing, their classmates staring at the hot couple with amused glances.



Then their laughter subsided and they both realized the position they were in, causing Buffy to leap off of him with lightening speed. Spike slowly rose to his feet, dejection evident in his handsome features for a second before being masked by a cocky smirk. “Knew you liked being on top.”



Buffy scowled, but then she willed herself to be nice. He had, after all, broken what could have been a very painful fall. “Thanks,” she said awkwardly, referring to the fall.



He shrugged. “Was my fault anyhow.” He glanced up to meet her eyes nervously and got lost in her hazel depths. They stared at each other, unmoving.



“Okay class.” Their gym teacher forced their gazes to break and they turned reluctantly away from each other.



*****



That evening, after a weird day at school and a tiresome practice at the Arena with a most annoying Ethan, Buffy headed up to her hotel room. She dragged her feet down the hall. She knew that the entire hallway had been rented out for the team and wondered idly which room Spike was staying in.



Focus Summers, her inner Buffy growled. She could not afford to get distracted. She really couldn’t…so why was she thinking about him so much? About his beautiful face and cheekbones? Why was she still glowing from the compliment he had given her earlier, after English class? Why did she care so damn much?



As she slipped the key card through the slot, she heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Spike approaching his dorm room, which he was sharing with Doyle. Buffy remembered that Angel was staying with Oz. Cool guy but way too stoic for Buffy’s taste. Even though she was pretty laidback herself, it still annoyed the hell out of her that Oz could talk so coolly about everything. Maybe one day, she and Oz would become friends. Until then, he could keep his deadpanned comments to himself, thank you very much.



Buffy and Spike’s eyes met. His shocking blue depths and her beautiful green ones collided with electrifying force and for a second, Buffy forgot about everything. She forgot about her soccer career, forgot about her complicated friendship with Angel, her pacts to herself, she forgot about being worried about Drusilla, about everything. She simply forgot. All she could see now was blue. Purity. Serenity. Peace.



She shivered from the sensations she sensed from him, the intense desire in his darkened pools strengthened with every second they stared at each other. Silence had ensued in the hallway and Buffy continued to just look at him, her eyes straying to his masculine face. The crinkles in his eyes when he smiled, his oh-so soft and kissable lips, the striking and killer hot cheekbones. She loved the duster, the black. The bad boy looked drew her in, because she knew for a fact that it was all just a façade. He was probably some shy guy who just wanted to be happy. Isn’t that what everyone wanted, in the end?



To just be happy?



Spike’s silent eyes raked her form, his eyes undressing her with every movement. She shivered under his intent gaze and glanced back up to see her own desire reflected in his beautiful eyes.



Snapping out of her trance, she stuttered a quick hello before opening the door to her room and hurriedly closing it shut as she backed herself up against the door with fast breaths. Closing her eyes, she willed herself to be calm. It was just Spike. Just a guy.



You keep telling yourself that, her inner Buffy said sarcastically.



Buffy rolled her eyes when she saw Drusilla lounging on one of the hotel beds, laptop in front of her. Her dark eyes were glued to the brightly lit screen and she barely looked up when Buffy entered the central part of the hotel room on shaky legs.



“You’re here,” she said, dismay entering her voice as her eyes continued to scan the screen.



“And all dolled up for you,” she leered sarcastically, heading to the bathroom to freshen up before taking a walk outside in the streets.



Drusilla sighed. “Best be nice to me Buffy or I might decide to snag that pretty little prince of yours,” she said, nothing but venom in her velvety voice.



Buffy spun around on her feet, a mixture of confusion and rage evident in her expression. “Who the fuck are you talking about?”



For the first time, Drusilla looked up and studied Buffy with a mock-amused expression. “Oh please,” she rolled her eyes, leaning back onto the bed with her milky arms folded over her chest. “Like I haven’t notice you making moon eyes at Billy Idol.”



If the words hadn’t been said with such malice, Buffy would have almost thought they were girlfriends, talking about a new crush. She almost barked a laugh at that but shoved the feeling aside when she grasped Drusilla’s words.



“Stay away from him,” she said through gritted teeth. Then she was surprised. Where had that come from? Her inner Buffy asked, bewildered. She didn’t know why she cared to protect Spike. But she knew Drusilla was nothing but a maneater and the last thing she wanted was to set someone up for hurt, even if that person was the Captain of Peroxide.



Drusilla raised her eyebrows in enjoyment. “Please. Virgins such as yourself don’t deserve his talents anyways,” she laughed to herself.



Buffy jerked her face sideways. “Talents? You don’t even know him!”



Drusilla raised dark eyes to face her. “And you do?”



There was silence for a second before Buffy gathered her wits. “I know him enough to know that he deserves more than what a slut can deliver.” She glared at Drusilla and couldn’t help the smug smile that prevailed at her insulted expression.



“At least I can deliver.” Drusilla said, her lower lip jutting out.



Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fuck off Drusilla and stay away from Spike. We’re in L.A. now. That’s more than enough fuck toys at your fingertips,” Then she barked a laugh. “Hell, it’s like a fucking playground for you, huh?”



Without waiting for a response, she spun around and grabbed a key card. Striding smoothly out of the room, she closed the door quietly. She would not show Drusilla how riled up she really was.



As she travelled to the lobby through the elevator, she pondered how defensive she had been of Spike. Did she really like him that much? As much as Buffy refused to believe so, she had to admit it. She wouldn’t have defended him like that then, would see? Buffy wasn’t one to bullshit everything. She told the truth, fuck all else. If she liked Spike, she was sure as hell ready to admit it. But was she ready to accept it?




TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews would be greatly appreciated! :D