"You've got the cool water,
When the fever runs high.
You've got the look of lovelight in your eyes.
And I was in crazy motion,
'til you calmed me down.
It took a little time,
But you calmed me down."
- Paul Simon, "Something So Right"

* * *

"So that's it then, you've got it all figured out."

She sighed impatiently, before turning to face him. He lay close to her, one hand busy propping up his head while his other hand traced delicate patterns over her skin. This discussion was not exactly her idea of pillow talk but she was more than aware that letting Spike into her life was never going to be convenient, particularly when it came to hashing out the details of her new life. She had told him that she wanted him to be a part of it, to give them a try as a legitimate couple, and he had jumped right in with both feet. She'd never had a relationship like this before, one that was more truly a partnership than either Riley or Angel had been. Always she'd managed to keep a distance between her and her former lovers, a protective barrier that would sustain her when things inevitably turned ugly. Spike, however, would have none of that and had barreled through any lingering reserves with a single-mindedness that would have scared her if she wasn't so sure that he had earned it.

"Of course I don't have it all figured out. Money is still a big issue, Doublemeat Palace barely pays enough for me to pay the mortgage and make sure that Dawn gets a meal that doesn't come in a paper bag with a toy. Not to mention the fact that I'll never be able to go to school between the hours there and my slaying which means I'll never get a better job and I'll be doomed to work there until I have my soul sucked out of me by the fry-cook."

"Look at it this way, love, you might not have a soul any more for the fry-cook to be interested in."

She pushed him lightly, causing him to fall back on the mattress as she curled into his side, letting her irritation fade beneath a brief flair of satisfaction at his embrace, "That's so not of the helpful. Besides, I totally have a soul still."

He chuckled, his arm wrapping around her waist to pull her closer, "Of course you do, kitten."

"Hmph," she was too comfortable to properly glare at him so decided to let his snarkiness pass, "Which brings us back to the whole Demon-Buffy thing, which so far is the only thing on my plate that I'm beginning to get a handle on." She paused for a moment, a slight furrow appearing between her brows as she pondered over her last statement, "It's not as bad actually as I thought it might be. I mean, it's not like I got a tail or a horn or something disfiguring like that. Aside from you being able to hit me and a boost to my Slayerness there doesn't seem to be too much more going on."

"You've just acquired yourself another vampire lover, pet. And one without a soul to boot." He began to pull away from her but she stopped him, throwing one leg over his lap as she wrapped her arms around him. She could feel him relax by some small degrees in her arms but she was still aware of the conflict brewing within him. When he spoke again his voice was so quiet she had to strain to hear him, "It's not exactly a fairytale ending."

"Says who?" She didn't both to try and hide her irritation. "Maybe you could be my happy ending."

She smiled at the amusement that suddenly blossomed across his face before peppering a series of light kisses down the column of his neck. She nipped at the juncture where his neck and shoulder met and was rewarded with a sharp intake of breath and a low growl before he tumbled them over so that he pinned her beneath him. Desire now tempered the amusement on his features and as his mouth descended to capture a nipple it was her turn to gasp and moan beneath his ministrations. He paused to look at her, his eyes suddenly serious, "I'd make a poor prince, love."

She shrugged, "I'm not exactly princess material myself." She could see the tension building behind his eyes and so, rather than deal with whatever complications he was sure to devise, she kissed him. It was a tentative embrace, she was aware of him holding back from her, his displeasure at her tactics overriding any pleasure. She ignored his reluctance, eager to recapture the earlier mood, not wanting to have to face the problems that she knew would plague them down the line. There would be time enough for all the drama later. For now she just wanted him, uncomplicated and simple as nothing in her life ever would be. And so, when he pulled away from her, an edge of seriousness still tinting his features she merely wound herself tighter around him, murmuring her entreaty against the cool of his skin, "Later, Spike. We'll deal with it later."

He gave in with little further convincing on her part and soon his ardor matched her own. Despite their growing closeness over the past few weeks, it was still in the arena of the physical in which she felt most comfortable communicating with him. It was like this that she could soothe away his worries, coax his tension from one of worry to pleasure, and, most importantly, tell him with every kiss and caress how she felt about him while her words still failed her. He understood her, she was more than sure of it. He dissected her character too easily not to know that she was a woman of action, not speech.

And just a little bit of a coward.

She pushed the thought away guiltily. Now was not the time for recriminations. She chose to concentrate instead on the feeling of Spike's skin under her hands, the way he gripped her to him possessively as the sheets tangled against their limbs. Outside their window the night slowly began to fade away; soon enough it would be daylight and against their inclinations they would be forced from bed to face the world once again. Awareness of their limited time caused them to slow their movements, prompting them into a gentle love-making which still retained its novelty for them. In the end though, their attempt to slow time to match their own desires was futile. Despite this she was still left with a feeling of awe at the broad expanse of extended hours which stretched out before them. If she wanted she could have this forever, an odyssey of days counted in kisses and touches and stolen golden moments which would make the days pass fast and the nights at a lover's pace. Time stretched before her, a shining gift instead of the curse she had initially thought it.

There would still be another day for her to put into words how she felt about him.

No need to rush.