Author's Chapter Notes:
1) Warm thanks and wishes go to Christine for beta-ing this for me! *hugs*

2) This fic is dedicated to SinisterChic. I hope you like this hon!

3) Thank you SO much for everyone who reviewed the last chapter: PhotographyNut, AMI, Carol and an anonymous reviewer! Your thoughts all mean the world to me and I hope you guys like this chapter!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter Three: Making Plans



The following morning, Buffy forced herself out of bed to get ready for work. She could hear the sounds of Dawn’s awakenings as she too began to dress for school. She yearned for the days when she had been in high school, with mom and a blissful kind of ignorance to the darkness she knew too well today.



“Dawn!” she called from her room, slowly putting her uniform on. She grimaced as she patted down the wrinkled skirt and adjusted her collar, studying her appearance critically in the mirror.



Footsteps could be heard and then Dawn was standing in her doorway, with a huge grin on her face. Buffy turned to look at her, sensing her presence, and giggled when she saw Dawn had make-up on. And a pretty top, one that she only wore when she was Bronzing. And she was sure those jeans hadn’t been that tight when she had bought them for her. Rolling her eyes at her sister’s antics, she smiled.



“Let’s go to Spike’s crypt and after that, I’ll drop you off.” Buffy led her sister out of her room and they both headed down the flight of stairs, one with uncontained excitement and the other with dread. She hoped that Spike wouldn’t be there. She couldn’t face him until she was sure she wouldn’t end up crying if she looked into his beautiful baby blues one more time.



***



They arrived shortly at Spike’s crypt, the cemetery eerily silent and a dark aura fell over them. Buffy shivered. She hated being around cemeteries during the day. It was one thing to be forced to fight near them at night but she didn’t need her bright sunny days tainted by its gloom. Sighing warily with an equally glum Dawn at her side, they approached the crypt’s door. Raising her hand to knock, she banged her knuckles against the hard wooden surface.



After a few moments, the door opened abruptly, revealing a smiling Clem.



“Hey there, ladies!” he greeted them cheerfully, his smile growing wider when he spotted the beautiful brunette next to Buffy. He eyed her appreciatively, but respectively, and inclined his head in a more formal greeting to her.



She giggled and ducked her head in response and Buffy simply watched the cute interaction with an amused smile in place. “Hey, Clem,” she said.



“Is there something I can do for you?” he asked, his voice relaxed as he invited them to join him inside.



Buffy smiled but politely shook her head no. “I have to get Dawn to school, but I wanted to drop by and ask you a favor,” she said tentatively. Though she trusted Clem impeccably with Dawn, she wasn’t sure how he would react to her proposition. After all, he was still a demon and maybe he had better things to do in his free time than babysit the Slayer’s little sister.



Clem tilted his head, a jovial expression in place with a mixture of curiosity.



“I was wondering if it would be okay if Dawn stayed with you after she finished school, until I come to pick her up late at night. Like an every day thing?” Buffy asked hopefully. She glanced sideways at Dawn who looked equally as hopeful but for different reasons, she supposed.



To her mild surprise, Clem’s face broke into a wide smile. “Of course she can! I’d be more than happy to allow good company into this gloomy old crypt,” he joked, gesturing to the darkness of the crypt.



Buffy nodded. “Is Spike in there?” she asked, hesitant



Clem shook his head. “No, he’s out in the sewers taking care of some business.”



Buffy let out a sigh of relief, before furrowing her brow at Clem’s answer. “What business?”



Clem shrugged. “All he told me was that he wanted to take care of some demons that had started nesting there,” he paused, looking her in the eye. “He said he didn’t want you to have to deal with it.”



Buffy flushed, her heart accelerating at this piece of information. But she didn’t have time to analyze it. She still had to get Dawn to school and make it to work before she was late. “I-I’ll see you later, Clem. And thank you so much,” she said sincerely.



Clem smiled. “No problem,” Then his eyes lit up. “Oh, wait Buffy! I forgot I had to tell you something!”



Buffy tilted her head in question. “Yeah?”



Clem leaned in closer to the older Summers’ sister. “I’ve been hearing some gossip around the demon community and there’s going to be a huge fight-rave thing tonight.”



Buffy raised her eyebrows, obviously interested by this. Clem informed her of the details of the situation before they set off. Buffy sighed inwardly, not too excited about having to deal with another demon gang again.



“I’ll see you this afternoon?” Dawn piped up, a hopeful glint in her eye as she appraised the demon before her.



Clem ducked his head, bashful. “Can’t wait,” he mumbled happily. Buffy rolled her eyes good-naturedly and dragged her sister away from the lovesick demon.



***



Dawn and Buffy walked back, in the direction of Dawn’s school. The two girls were giggling and arguing about Dawn’s latest match made in heaven.



“You SO dig Clem!” said Buffy accusingly, pointing a mock-serious finger in her sister’s face. Her face crumbled into laughter when she saw the “deer in the headlights” expression that Dawn currently sported.



“Oh my God, you DO!” Buffy squealed, clutching her ribcage as she doubled over.



Dawn merely smiled softly at the sight of her sister laughing, so carefree in every way. She missed seeing Buffy like this. It was difficult to watch her sister work tirelessly to give Dawn a half-decent life. It was even more difficult when Buffy refused to talk to her about any of it. But, Dawn supposed maybe she didn’t want to know about the troubles of real life.



“He’s really sweet though.” Dawn tried her best to defend her latest crush.



Buffy only laughed harder. “Yeah, but it’s so weird. Clem and you,” she clarified.



Dawn knew her sister was only joking but couldn’t help but frown. “You mean like Spike and you?” she shot back, instantly regretting her thoughtless remark when Buffy’s face instantly hardened, her laughter dissolving along with the good spirit.



“There is no Spike and me,” she said quietly, so quietly that Dawn wondered if she had said anything at all.



The walk to school was made in stony silence and Dawn was forced to once again, accept her sister’s distance.



TBC


Chapter End Notes:
*bats eyelashes* Reviews, anyone? =D