Author's Chapter Notes:
I seem to have gotten a few new readers and it makes me extremely happy. Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging words. I really hope I won't disappoint you with this story.
”What happened?” Buffy gestured towards the pieces of broken furniture and various debris scattered around the lobby.

“Quibaka demons. Don’t ask.” Angel sighed. ”Buffy, I’m glad you’re here. I need you to answer the phones for an hour or so. I have an important meeting at the other side of town and I need to be there in...” He checked his watch. “Ten minutes ago. Dammit!“

”I’m the Slayer, Angel, not your personal secretary.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Seriously, you must have hundreds of people working here. Surely you can find someone capable of answering a phone.” She paused. “Besides, I’m busy today.”

“Really?” Angel folded his arms over his chest. “What’s so important that it can’t wait an hour or two?”

“Honestly? That’s none of your business.” Ignoring the hurt look on Angel’s face, Buffy continued, “Angel, we need to talk. I know you don’t like the idea of me and Spike together, but frankly-“

“All right, just stop right there.” Angel cut her off. “You’re right – I don’t like it. Not one bit. I don’t like Spike. In fact, if he got wiped off the face of the earth tomorrow, I’d be the first to celebrate. But you do whatever you want. It’s your life, Buffy. I can’t tell you what to do, or who to be with. So let’s just leave it there. I don’t have time for this.” He tried to step past her.

Eyes narrowing in fury, Buffy quickly blocked his way. “Oh, you don’t have time? Guess what, Angel? Not everything’s about you. Now, I have something to say, and you’re going to listen. I don’t give a damn about your stupid meeting. Five minutes. You owe me that much.”

Angel opened his mouth, clearly about to protest, and then seemed to decide against it. He let out an unneeded breath. “Fine. Talk.”

“Okay.” Buffy hesitated for a moment, a little taken aback. To tell the truth, she had expected him to put up more of a fight. “Look, I’m just gonna come right out and say this. I love Spike. And...” She stopped with a frown. “Wow. Saying it out loud like that felt really good.”

“That’s great.” Angel’s expression clearly indicated that he didn’t share her enthusiasm. “I’m sure it will end well.” Buffy opened her mouth to speak, but he beat her to it, pointing his finger at her accusingly. “You were supposed to be cookie dough! You’re not baked yet.”

“You know what?” She had actually forgotten all about that ridiculous cookie analogy. It felt like a lifetime ago. Angel on the other hand obviously hadn’t. It was time to clear the air, once and for all. “I’m baked, Angel. I’m cookies. I’m not asking you to be happy for me. I wish you could be, but I’m being realistic here. All I ask is for you to respect my decision.”

Angel muttered something she couldn’t make out. When she raised her eyebrows expectantly, he repeated his words, a little louder this time. “Do I have a choice?”

“About accepting the fact that Spike and I are together? No.” Buffy looked him right in the eyes. “I know you and Spike don’t get along. I don’t care. You said so yourself – it’s my life.”

“Sure. Take my words and throw them back in my face,” Angel grumbled, sulkily. Although when he glanced at her, he appeared to be at least somewhat ashamed.

Buffy was quiet for a moment. “We’ve been through a lot together, Angel. I was in love with you once. You still mean a lot to me. I’d like us to stay friends, but if you force me to choose between you and Spike...” She left the rest of the sentence hanging.

Angel lowered his eyes. He knew then that he had really lost her. It hurt; there was no point in denying it. But at the same time, he felt almost a little relieved, like he had just been waiting for Buffy to tell him that it was all right to move on. Truth be told, he had been doing just fine without her since he left Sunnydale. But that didn’t mean he liked the idea of her moving on with Spike of all people.

He sighed. “You mean a lot to me, too, Buffy. I want you to be happy. But...” Angel gave her a pleading look as a final attempt of making her see things from his perspective. “Are you sure you’re in love with him? I mean, it’s Spike! He’s...” He hesitated, clearly searching for the right word. “He’s an idiot!”

Having almost expected a punch in the face for insulting the bleached blond vampire, Angel was surprised when Buffy actually smiled a little. “Well, I guess he’s my idiot, then.”

Angel watched her in silence before continuing. “If he breaks your heart, I’ll be the first to say ‘I told you so’.”

“Fair enough.” Buffy nodded in agreement. For a moment, neither of them said anything.

“So...” Realizing Buffy’s mind was made up and nothing he could say or do would convince her otherwise, Angel decided it was time to change the subject. “Mind telling me now about your important plans for today?”

“Oh!” Buffy’s face brightened. “I’m going shopping!”


~ ~ ~


Spike was standing outside Rowan’s door, waiting impatiently for the blond man to open. When nothing happened, he threw a discreet look over his shoulder to make sure no one was around. Then he pulled out the small credit card he had found in one of Harmony’s desk drawers at Wolfram and Hart. It only took him a brief moment to get the door open.

“Hey, Rowan! You here, mate?” Spike slipped inside, closing the door behind him. According to Angel, Rowan had called in sick, so he should be home. Maybe he was sleeping. Stepping further into the house, Spike listened carefully for any sign of life. But the house was completely silent.

He was heading towards the stairs when something made him look in the other direction and he noticed a small, shiny object on the floor. Making his way across the room, he bent down to get a closer look. As he picked it up, he realized it was a tiny, golden charm, shaped as a unicorn.

“What the...?” Spike stood up with a frown, not sure what to think. He immediately recognized the small piece of jewelry, remembering how Harmony had practically shoved her arm in his face a few days ago, happily jabbering about the ‘totally gorgeous hottie’ who had given her the bracelet, clearly intending to make him jealous.

So, apparently Harmony had been here at Rowan’s house. And maybe she was still around. That would explain why neither of them had showed up at Wolfram and Hart this morning. Spike grinned. Rowan was known for being somewhat of a womanizer, but he had never shown any particular interest in shagging vampires or demons before. First time for everything, Spike thought.

Of course, he could just be jumping to conclusions and there could be another reason for Rowan to bring Harmony back to his place. However, Spike couldn’t for his un-life figure out what. Maybe Rowan just really enjoyed her company? Yeah, right! Spike snorted. Not bloody likely.

As he absently let the charm slip down in his pocket, he suddenly detected something he hadn’t noticed before. This wasn’t the first time he had been at Rowan’s house, but it was the first time he had seen the wooden door in front of him, half hidden behind a thick, red curtain.

For some reason, the door seemed out of place in the large room. Spike cocked his head to the side, reaching out to try the handle. The door opened easily, revealing a long staircase that seemed to lead down to some sort of basement. He was just about to close the door again and continue his search for Rowan when something made him stop.

Spike didn’t know what was down there, but whatever it was, it was bad. Real bad. He didn’t sense any kind of magic, but there was something else. Something evil and powerful. He found himself wondering what the hell was going on.

Carefully stepping through the doorway, Spike stopped at the top of the stairs. “Rowan?” He hesitated for a moment. “Harm?” No response. Not that he had really expected one. He couldn’t quite explain it, but something down there seemed to be calling out to him. And it was strong.

Suddenly he realized he was halfway down the stairs and froze in his tracks. It was dark, but he could see a large, stone door at the bottom of the stairs. “Sod this,” he mumbled to himself. “’M not going in there.” Despite his words, he kept moving forward. A moment later, he was standing in front of the door.

And as the door immediately swung open before he had even touched it, Spike knew that he was in trouble.


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
A huge thanks to Mabel Marsters for betaing and returning the chapters so quickly! *hugs*