Author's Chapter Notes:
It really means a lot to me to hear that at least some people are interested in me continuing to post this story here. To Kirsty, PhotographyNut, guest, Brett, cordykitten, B, IamGhost and Laemda: thank you very much for reviewing the last chapter!
Buffy woke up with a start, finding herself surrounded by total darkness. Sitting up abruptly, she reached blindly for the small table lamp next to the couch and found the light switch. Remembering lighting candles all over the room, she frowned when she noticed they had all burned down. Certain she could not have been asleep for more than a couple of minutes, she looked at her watch.

Her eyes widened in shock. It couldn’t be right. But her watch clearly showed it was almost six o’clock in the morning, which meant she had fallen asleep on the couch and then slept all night. She suspected the sun was already up, although Spike’s apartment didn’t – for obvious reasons – have any windows, so she couldn’t tell for sure.

When her eyes darted around the room, she felt a shiver run down her spine. Something was very wrong. As the time went by last night, she had started getting more and more worried, mean little voices whispering inside her head that Spike had probably changed his mind, that he had gotten second thoughts about their date. And she had become more than a little upset that he hadn’t bothered to call her.

But now she just felt panic welling up inside her, knowing deep down that Spike would never stand her up like that. Something must have happened. Swallowing hard, she managed to find her cell phone, hands shaking slightly, she quickly dialed Rowan’s number. When she once again got the voice mail, she cursed loudly and threw the phone away in frustration.

For a moment, she was at a loss for what to do. Spike didn’t have a phone, so she had no way of contacting him. Finally she grabbed her jacket, picked up the phone again and let it slip down in her pocket, and rushed towards the door.


~ ~ ~


“I don’t feel so good,” Harmony complained, closing her eyes and resting her head against the wall.

Spike glanced at her and found himself wondering when she had last eaten. In fact, he was starting to feel a bit peckish himself, although he suspected neither of them would be eating anything for a while. Knowing that vampires could survive without blood for weeks if necessary, he didn’t think he would have to worry about starving anytime soon.

Still, the longer he would go without feeding, the weaker he would become, and he had a feeling he would need his strength now more than ever. Spike thought about Buffy and wondered if she had realized yet that he was missing. When he had told Harmony that Buffy would come looking for him, he had done his best to sound assuring, but the more he thought about it, the more he started to doubt.

Not that he didn’t think she would try. But he couldn’t help but think that the chances of her actually finding them were small. After all, why would anyone come up with the idea of searching here, down in Rowan’s basement? But he wasn’t about to give up, though. No, he would find a way out of this bloody mess.

“Spike?” Harmony’s weak voice snapped him out of his thoughts and he realized she was watching him. “What do you think he’s doing now? Why does he keep disappearing like that?”

Having been wondering the same thing himself, but not coming up with any ideas so far, Spike simply shrugged. “Dunno.”

“He’s probably thinking of horrible ways to kill us,” Harmony continued, wearily rubbing her eyes. She was quiet for a moment. “I really don’t wanna die.”

”You’re a vampire, Harm,” Spike said automatically. “Already dead.”

“Yeah, but...” Harmony hesitated a little. “There’s a difference between being undead and... dead-dead. I kinda like my life as a vampire.” She frowned. “Or my unlife. You know what I mean.”

Spike didn’t answer. Harmony had a point, even though he didn’t like to admit it. He liked his unlife as well. Not that he had any plans of letting some sadistic demon off him in a dark, sodding basement. He had survived a hell of a lot worse through the years. And besides, this time, he had a girl to get back to.

“Time to play,” Morou declared, causing Harmony to let out a strangled shriek. Spike tensed up, angry at himself for not being prepared for the demon’s sudden appearance. He should be used to the bastard popping up in front of them by now. Still he was taken by surprise every time.

“Please...” Harmony scooted closer to Spike, her eyes begging for the vampire’s protection. “Not again. I can’t-“

“Quiet,” Morou ordered, and she immediately fell silent. He looked from Harmony to Spike. “Now, who will get the honor to go first?” Clearly encouraged by the glare he received from Spike, Morou raised the hand he had kept hidden behind his back, revealing a small glass of water. “Would any of you like a drink?” he asked, a cruel smile playing on his lips.

Spike’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Keep it.”

“As you wish.” Morou took a small sip from the glass, then crouched down in front of them. With his dark eyes locked on Spike, he dipped his fingers in the water and put his hand on Harmony’s cheek. There was a sizzling sound, followed by Harmony’s howl of pain and Spike winced.

“Holy water.” Morou watched the half empty glass with fascination. “Merely water, yet so painful.” He took another sip.

It’s all a bleeding game, Spike thought as understanding started to dawn on him. The son of a bitch was clearly getting off on seeing the pain he inflicted on others. Letting out a growl, Spike launched himself at the demon, intending to take him off guard.

Morou didn’t even blink as he grabbed Spike’s arm, easily preventing the attack. His eyes shifted into red and his strong fingers closed around the vampire’s left fist. Spike was not prepared for the sharp jolt of pain as the beast squeezed hard, crushing the bones in his hand without hesitation.

Moaning in excruciation, Spike bit his tongue hard enough to draw blood, refusing to give the bastard the satisfaction of hearing him scream. As the demon finally let go, he grimaced at the sight of his mangled hand, knowing it was broken in several places. Without being able to set it properly in order to heal, he wouldn’t be using that hand again for a long time.

“I’ll bloody kill you,” he hissed through gritted teeth, sliding down against the wall and cradling his injured hand against his chest. Of course, he didn’t like to think about the fact that with only one functional hand, his odds of doing so had seriously decreased.

“No.” Morou laughed, the sound reminding Spike of broken glass. Then he stopped, abruptly. “You do not kill Morou. Morou kills you. Slowly.”

“We’ll see ‘bout that,” Spike muttered. He knew he was in a vulnerable position, and it made him furious. “You won’t get away with this, you fucking-“

“Enough!” Morou exclaimed. There was no trace of amusement in his voice now. “Morou is tired of your insults, vampire. Unless you are down on your knees and begging for mercy, you no longer get to speak. One more word, and-“

“And what?” Spike challenged, refusing to back down. “You’ll break my other hand? Knock me out again? ‘Cause I’m telling you, as long as I’m still conscious, I’ll bloody keep talkin’!”

The creature that looked like a man opened his mouth, then closed it again. His jaw twitched for a moment, but other than that, his face remained expressionless. Never taking his eyes away from the bleached blond vampire, Morou moved back to Harmony, his large hand cupping her chin and tilted her head back. “There are other ways to keep you silent,” he finally stated.

“Oh God!” Harmony gasped, struggling to get away. “Please, don’t...!”

“Quiet, precious,” Morou mumbled. “Your friend needs to learn what happens when you defy Morou. And you...” He looked Spike straight in the eyes as he continued, “will be the lesson.”

Whimpering in fear, Harmony turned her pleading eyes towards Spike. He could do little more than just look at her, helplessly. With a sinking feeling in his stomach, he was beginning to see that cockiness wouldn’t save him this time. In fact, it wouldn’t save either of them.

Harmony was shaking her head fiercely, sobbing as Morou forced her lips apart, one hand still on her chin and the other reaching into her mouth until he managed to grab hold of her tongue. She was screaming in panic now, desperately trying to swat the demon’s hands away from her. Then a sickening, popping sound was heard, and her screaming stopped.

Spike stared at the horrifying scene playing out in front of him, unable to look away. More than anything, he wished he had. He felt his stomach turn and pressed his unharmed fist against his mouth to keep from gagging. Wave after wave of nausea welled over him as he watched the ruthless creature drop Harmony’s limp body on the floor like she was nothing more than a useless rag doll.

Using the edge of his shirt, Morou wiped the blood off his hands before slowly making his way over to Spike, leaning in closely. “Do you still intend to keep talking, vampire?”


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Mabel Marsters for betaing!