Author's Chapter Notes:
A huge thanks to PhotographyNut, guest, JO, cordykitten and IamGhost for reviewing the last chapter! *hugs*
“Angel?” Rowan instinctively took a step back as the tall vampire rose from the office chair and strode in his direction, preparing himself for the worst. But Angel walked past him without a word and headed for the door. “Where – where are you going?”

Stopping in the doorway, Angel spun around, scowling at him. “After that nice little story you just told me, you have to ask me that? Don’t push it, boy. I don’t have time to deal with you right now.” He turned around and left the office.

Rowan hurried after. “Angel, wait! You can’t just go down there. I already tried. I mean, the beast won’t even let me in, so why would you think-“

“Gunn!” Angel called out as he spotted the other man across the lobby, ignoring Rowan completely. “I want you to find Wesley; tell him to drop whatever he’s doing and get back here ASAP. I’ll be waiting for him in his office.”

“But I thought we were supposed to...” Gunn stopped, looking from Angel to Rowan with a frown. Seeing Angel’s grim expression and the way Rowan avoided meeting his eyes, he realized that something had just transpired between the two. “Um, what’s going on, guys?”

“Got a lead, but we need to act fast.” Angel cast a disgusted look at Rowan before turning back to Gunn. “Tell Wes I need him to come up with a couple of spells. A binding spell of some kind, strong enough to restrain an evil... whatever this thing is. And something that will unseal a mystically locked door. Don’t ask, just do it.”

Gunn looked a little confused, and it was obvious that he would have wanted some kind of explanation, but he seemed to understand the seriousness of the situation and nodded without objections. “Got it, man.”

Rowan followed Angel as he headed towards the elevators. “You actually think there’s a binding spell that will hold this guy? He’s too strong, there’s no way-“

“What else would you suggest we’d do, Rowan?” Angel asked, glaring at him as he pushed the button. “Leave Spike down there with the beast?” Rowan opened his mouth, but the vampire held up a hand to stop him. “Second thought, don’t answer that. In fact, just get out of my sight before I’ll do something I might regret later.”

The doors to the elevator opened and Angel stepped inside. Hesitating only for a brief moment, Rowan then slipped in as well, just as the doors started to close. Angel gave him a warning look, but didn’t say anything. Rowan glanced at him before carefully speaking up, “You know, I really am sorry.”

Angel scoffed. “Oh, you’re sorry? Well, that changes everything!”

Not missing the sarcastic note in the vampire’s voice, the blond shook his head. “Look, I’m serious, I know I screwed up. I wanna make things right, but I can’t do it by myself. I’ll do anything, just...” Rowan swallowed. “Tell me there’s a way to get Spike out of there before...” His voice trailed off as Angel’s face darkened.

“Oh, you better hope there is,” the vampire all but snarled, and Rowan found himself shrinking back against the wall. “Because I’m not gonna be the one explaining to Buffy that the love of her life is dust and that you have known exactly where he’s been all this time. That’ll be up to you.”

Rowan gulped. “She’s gonna kill me.”

“No, she won’t.” Angel firmly shook his head. “I would never let her do that.”

“You wouldn’t?” Rowan gave him a doubtful look. “But-“

“Losing Spike would destroy her,” Angel admitted as he ignored Rowan’s input. “And if I’ll have to stand there and watch that heartbroken, devastated look on her face, I swear I’ll kill you myself.”

Rowan stared at him for a moment. “I thought you had a soul.”

“Believe me, Rowan.” A low growl escaped the vampire’s throat. “I’ll find a way to work around it.”

Not doubting for a second that the vampire meant it, Rowan’s shoulders slumped and he nodded. “I understand. I don’t deserve any mercy. It should be me down there.”

Letting out a threatening roar, Angel slammed his fist hard against the control panel, causing the elevator to come to a halt. “You’re damn right about that. Now quit with the pathetic whining; you won’t get any sympathy from me. Spike and I may not get along, but I’d never stab him in the back like this. I thought the two of you were friends!”

“I told you; I never meant for this to happen!” Rowan was starting to get angry as well. He was already feeling beyond guilty, and Angel’s accusing words and open hostility towards him didn’t exactly make him feel any better. “How the hell was I supposed to know he’d go down there? I mean, it’s not like I-“

“What?” Angel cut him off. “Lured him down there like you did with all the others?”

“Fuck this!” Rowan glared at him. “You’ve made yourself perfectly clear. Spike dies – I die, I get it. Now get the damn elevator running instead of keep wasting all of our time!”

“Don’t tell me what to do, boy.” Angel’s eyes narrowed dangerously, but he pushed the button and the elevator started moving again. Both of them fell silent.

As the doors finally slid open, Angel started to get out, but Rowan beat him to it, blocking the vampire’s way. “Look, if I could turn back time and change what I’ve done, I would. But I can’t. I know perfectly well it’s all my fault. Spike’s trapped in my house with a vicious monster, and there’s not a fucking thing I can do to help him.”

“Rowan.” Angel looked at something over the blond man’s shoulder, suddenly an almost concerned look on his face.

“What?” Seeing the vampire’s strange expression, Rowan turned around. His eyes widened in alarm as he found himself standing face to face with the Slayer. And judging by the way her face changed from confusion to disbelief, and finally into fury as realization seemed to hit her, she had heard every single word he had just said.


~ ~ ~


“It would probably kill you.” Morou weighed the small glass in his hand, thoughtfully. “Not much left, but it will be enough. The water will burn you, from the inside out, until...” He raised his head, leering at Spike. “Of course, it won’t have to end like this. All you have to do is get down on your knees, and beg Morou to spare you.”

Spike could feel his hands shaking and found himself itching for a smoke. Remembering that he still had his zippo lighter and half a packet of cigarettes in his pocket, he couldn’t help but wonder how the demon would react should he actually get down on his knees and beg, not for his life, but for permission to light a bleeding fag.

An almost maniacal laugh escaped him, although he didn’t take his eyes away from the glass. He wasn’t stupid, after all. “Right. You’d spare me. For how long?”

Morou seemed to seriously consider the question. “Oh, a few hours. Or possibly the rest of the day. It all depends on how convincing you are, vampire. Plead for mercy, and you might get it.” There was a pause before he added, “For a little while.”

Rolling his eyes, Spike knew he would rather die than plead with the sadistic bastard for anything. “Go to hell.” He didn’t like how weakly the words came out, but there was not much he could do about it. At the moment, he just wished the demon would disappear again, giving him a chance to rest, even if it would only be for a few minutes.

“Hell...” Morou tasted the word. “Morou spent some time in Hell once.” His eyes flashed briefly. “The toys were all damaged. Morou didn’t enjoy the stay.”

“That right?” Spike let out a snort. “Then trust me when I say this. Somehow, I’ll find a way to send you back there, you son of a bitch.” He knew as soon as he had spoken the words that it had been a mistake. But he had reached the point when he couldn’t really find it in him to care anymore.

Morou stood up, watching him in silence for a moment. Then he uttered a low, hissing sound, his eyes turning completely red. It all happened so fast, Spike never got the chance to even react. The last thing he saw was the cruel beast towering above him, holding the small glass mere inches from his face. Grabbing him by the throat, the demon then tipped the glass over, spilling the contents over him.

The pain was indescribable. Spike could feel his face burning, with an intensity threatening to consume him. Writhing in panic, he desperately scratched at his face and eyes. The sickening smell of singeing flesh was overwhelming, and he finally screamed. Then he passed out.


TBC