Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Mabel Marsters for betaing! Also thanks to B, guest, PhotographyNut, cordykitten and Kirsty for reviewing the last chapter.
”Buffy…” Rowan gulped, raising his hands in a defensive gesture. “Just listen to me. I can explain.”

“And we would all like to hear it,” Lorne stated, appearing behind Buffy. “But maybe now’s not the best...” He hesitated as Buffy grabbed Rowan by the collar of his jacket and slammed him into the wall. “time,” he finished helplessly, casting a look at Angel who just stepped out of the elevator.

“Explain,” Buffy growled, glaring at the blond. “What the hell do you mean Spike’s trapped in your house? If you’re telling me you’ve known where he’s been all along, so help me God, I’ll kill you!” As if to emphasize her words, she tightened her grip on him, her fingers digging into his skin.

Rowan winced, but he made no attempt of pushing her away. “I swear; I had no idea until just now. If I’d known, I would’ve said something. You have to believe me.”

“You just said it was all your fault.” Buffy was practically shaking with contained anger. “What did you mean by that? What did you do?!”

“I didn’t do anything!” Rowan then lowered his eyes in shame. “Not to Spike, anyway,” he mumbled. Seeing how Buffy’s eyes narrowed dangerously, he quickly went on, “Look, you can threaten me all you like, but Spike’s running out of time. I’m pretty sure he’s still alive, but I don’t know for how long. So if you wanna save him-” This time he did try to break free, only to find himself being thrown back against the wall.

“That’s enough,” Angel declared as he stepped forward, a warning note in his voice. “Buffy, let him go. Rowan’s right; we don’t have time for this. Beating the crap out of him won’t help Spike, and right now, he’s depending on us. So let’s move it.”

Hesitating for a brief moment, Buffy realized Angel was right. “Okay,” she whispered. Blinking back tears, she let go of Rowan and took a step back.

“Good.” Angel sounded relieved. “Now we’re gonna go meet up with Wesley, hopefully he’ll be able to help us.” He glanced at Rowan, who was clearly torn between wanting to come along and help, or get as far away from the Slayer as possible. “And you,” he pointed a finger at the blond man, “are coming with us so I can keep an eye on you.”

“Yeah, sure.” Letting out a defeated sigh, Rowan obediently followed the others through the corridor, although he made sure to keep some distance between himself and the blonde girl. However, after Angel stepped in and told her to back off, Buffy didn’t attempt to attack him again. In fact, she had closed up completely.

Entering Wesley’s office in silence, they didn’t have to wait long before the ex watcher came hurrying through the door, Gunn and Fred in tow. “Gunn said you needed my assistance. He mentioned something about spells. Angel, what’s going on?”

Angel quickly explained the situation. When he was finished, everybody just stared at him for a moment. Then they all started talking at once, except for Rowan who remained by the door, looking like he wished the floor would open up and swallow him. As their voices grew louder and louder, Angel raised a hand to stop them. “All right, everybody be quiet. We’re on the clock, remember?”

Buffy spoke up, her voice trembling. “Wes, start working on the spells. I’m going over there.” Without waiting for a response, she strode towards the door.

“Buffy, I understand how you feel, but right now, you’re obviously not thinking straight.” Angel grabbed her arm to stop her, moving to block her way. “Before we know if spells will even work, you’d be putting yourself in danger just by entering the house.”

“You better hurry, then,” Buffy stated, stubbornly pulling away her arm. “Because I’m leaving.”

“I can’t let you do that.” Angel sounded almost sad. “I know it may sound harsh, but the best thing you can do at the moment-“

“Don’t you dare tell me what to do!” Buffy glared at him. “I swear, Angel, if you don’t get out of my way, I’ll kick your sorry ass.” She clenched her fists.

Rowan nervously cleared his throat. “Buffy, I know you don’t wanna hear this, especially not from me, but Angel’s got a point. You won’t be able to get through the door. Trust me; I know. The only time Morou ever lets me in is when he needs me to...” He stopped himself, the guilt evident on his face.

“Need you to... what?” Fred asked in a low voice, sounding like she didn’t really want to know.

The blond man was quiet for a moment, awkwardly fidgeting with his hands. “Get him a new... toy,” he finally whispered.

Seeing how Buffy was about to throw herself at Rowan, most likely intending to beat him into a bloody pulp, Angel quickly took him by the arm and steered him away from the furious Slayer. “Rowan, tell Wes everything you know about this Morou that might help with the spells. There has to be something we can use to our advantage.” The blond nodded in understanding.

Gesturing for Fred, Gunn and Lorne to join Wesley and Rowan at the other side of the room, Angel then turned to Buffy. “Look, Buffy, we’ll get Spike out of there. I gave you my word and I intend to keep it. But...” He hesitated. “I’m sorry, but you’re not going.” Holding the breath he didn’t really need, he mentally prepared himself for the explosion.

“What?!” Buffy stared at him like he had just grown a second head. “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I heard you correctly. Because it sounded like you just said I’m not going.”

“That’s right.” Angel let out a sigh. He really wasn’t looking forward to telling her this, but he didn’t have any choice. “Listen to me. I don’t know what we’ll find when we’ll step through that door, but I have a feeling it’s not gonna be pretty. And we won’t have much time. I can’t have you falling apart on me.”

Buffy opened her mouth, then closed it again. When she spoke, she somehow managed to keep her voice steady. “I don’t care how bad it’ll be. As long as he’s not dust, I can handle it.” Seeing how Angel was about to object, she hurried on, an almost pleading note in her voice, “I have to be there, Angel. You can’t keep me from coming. Spike needs me.”

Watching her in silence for a moment, Angel then reluctantly nodded in agreement, knowing he wouldn’t be able to talk her out of it. “Fine. But we’re doing this my way, so don’t get any ideas. We’re going in, get Spike, and then we’re going out. We’re not fighting this thing. Not until we know exactly what we’re dealing with.”

“Are you kidding me?” Buffy stared at him in disbelief. “I’m the Slayer; I slay the bad guys. And I swear to God, if that monster’s hurt Spike in any way, I’ll cut him open, rip his intestines out, and choke him to death with them!” Realizing the others were watching her with wide eyes and startled expressions, she added, “Well, assuming he has any.”

“You go, girl!” Gunn pumped his fist in appreciation, although he couldn’t help but shudder at the visual image. The Slayer could be downright scary, and he reminded himself never to piss her off.

“Great. I’m all for it and I’ll be more than happy to give you a hand. But,” Angel looked Buffy right in the eyes as he continued, “it will have to wait. This is strictly a rescue mission. Either you accept that, or you’re staying behind. If this demon’s really as strong as Rowan says, then we can pretty much assume regular weapons won’t have any effect on him.”

Buffy wanted to object, but she reluctantly had to admit that Angel’s words made sense. However, she hated how he still seemed to think he had the right to make decisions for her. For some reason, Angel seemed to constantly forget that she wasn’t the same naive little girl she had been when they first met, all those years ago.

But right now, finding Spike was her number one priority. She would have to deal with Angel later. And then she would tell him exactly what she thought of him and his insufferable high-and-mighty behavior. Deciding to simply ignore the dark-haired vampire for the time being, she walked over to Wesley who was typing rapidly on his computer. “Find anything yet? We don’t have all day.”

Wesley looked up, a somewhat annoyed expression on his face. “Yes, Buffy, I’m perfectly aware of that. I assure you, I’m working as fast as I can.”

“Sorry.” Buffy lowered her eyes. “It’s just that-“

“I know.” Wesley’s face softened. “Believe me, I understand how you...” His voice trailed off and he jumped up from the chair. Hurrying over to the book shelf, he pulled out a large book and cleared his throat. “Binding spell.” Quickly opening the book, he watched as the text appeared on the blank pages. “Ah! Perfect. This might work.”

Might work?” Angel sounded skeptical. “That’s not good enough, Wes.”

“Maybe not, but it’ll have to do.” Buffy firmly crossed her arms over her chest. “I’m done waiting.”

“You guys, I think I’ve found something for the door!” Fred had taken Wesley’s place by the computer when he left. Now she turned to look at the others. “We’ll need a white candle, six Acacia leaves, and...” She grimaced. “an eye of a black sheep.”

“We’ll stop by the magic shop down the corner. Now, let’s move!” Buffy looked around the room, daring anyone to object. Luckily, nobody did. Letting out the breath she didn’t even realize she had been holding, she headed for the door, not waiting to see if they would follow.


TBC