Author's Chapter Notes:
I feel kinda sad right now. I can't believe it's over. I wanna thank Mabel Marsters for betaing this story for me, she's been absolutely wonderful. I also wanna thank everybody who have read this story and left reviews. And last but not least, I wanna take a moment to say THANK YOU to all of you who have read my other stories over the years. I really hate to say goodbye, so I won't. But there will probably not be any more stories from me. (just saying it makes me wanna cry) I say 'probably' because you just never know what happens. But that's the way I feel right now. I really hope you've enjoyed the ride, I know I have. Hugs and kisses to you all, and now I'll stop rambling and let you read the final chapter of this fic. Hopefully you'll like it. And please take a moment to let me know what you think, even if you've never reviewed before. ;)
The next morning, Buffy and Spike went back to the hospital to see Rowan as promised. They had agreed to spend the night together at Spike’s place, both longing for the privacy they just wouldn’t be getting at the hotel. Not that either of them had actually been sleeping much.

Unfortunately, the ridiculously small bed was clearly not designed for any other activities than just sleeping, and after nearly falling off the bed a couple of times, Buffy quickly decided that one night in that tiny apartment was enough.

Now she glanced at Spike, reluctantly pushing the pleasant memories of last night’s love-making to the back of her mind. “You ready?” They were standing right outside Rowan’s hospital room.

“Sure,” the vampire replied with a shrug. He was just about to open the door when Buffy put a hand on his arm to stop him, and he gave her a questioning look. “Something wrong, pet?”

“No.” Buffy hesitated a little. “It’s just a little weird, you know? Not really sure how to act around Rowan now. I mean, at first I hated him. Blamed him for what happened to you. A part of me still does, I guess. But still, I kind of feel for him. He’s been through a lot as well.”

Spike nodded. “Know what you mean. Bloke really came through in the end. Must’ve taken a lot of guts to go back down there.” Rowan had obviously made a mistake by keeping his involvement with Morou a secret, but Spike had no doubts that the man had learned his lesson.

After all, Spike pondered, who was he to throw stones? It wasn’t like he had never done anything he wished he could go back and change. And if he could be forgiven for his evil and reckless deeds, surely Rowan deserved the same treatment. Only a hypocrite would claim otherwise.

“Let’s get this over with, shall we?” Spike suggested, gesturing towards the door. Looking somewhat nervous, Buffy nodded in agreement. He raised his hand to knock briefly on the door before carefully pushing it open and peeking inside. Then he stepped through the door, with Buffy not far behind.


~ ~ ~


Rowan looked up when the door opened, offering his visitors a somewhat uncertain smile. “Come on in. I’d stand up and greet you, but I’m kinda tied up at the moment,” he joked.

He had been expecting Spike and Buffy to show up. Still, a part of him couldn’t help but feel a little awkward. He wasn’t sure about Spike, but he was pretty certain Buffy still hated his guts. Not that he blamed her.

Much to his surprise, Buffy didn’t look angry, nor resentful. If anything, she seemed almost nervous. “How’re you feeling?” she asked, quietly.

“Um...” Rowan hesitated for a moment. “Can’t complain. I mean, I’m alive, right?” He tried to keep his tone light.

Buffy glanced at Spike before turning back to Rowan with a strained smile. “Yes. That’s good. Really.” And she meant it. She had always liked Rowan. Deep down, a part of her suspected that she wouldn’t have reacted as strongly to his betrayal, had Spike not been the one ending up hurt. The thought made her feel guilty, seeing how Morou’s other victims probably didn’t deserve it any more than Spike did.

Spike cleared his throat. “Came to say goodbye, mate. Haven’t told the others yet, but me and Buffy’re leaving L.A. tonight.” Buffy nodded in agreement, smiling as Spike’s arm slipped around her waist.

Rowan blinked in surprise, eyes darting between the vampire and the slayer. “Are you serious? Why so sudden?”

Buffy opened her mouth, but was cut off by a chipper melody from her cellphone. Her face lit up as she cast a glance at the display. “It’s Dawn. I’ve got to take this, excuse me.” She brushed her lips against Spike’s cheek before quickly leaving the room.

Looking briefly after Buffy, Spike then turned his attention back to the man in the hospital bed. “What can I say? Why wait? No time like the present, and all that rot. Seriously, I never intended to stick around, even before Buffy came here. I just...” he shrugged, “didn’t have anywhere to go.”

The blond eyed him curiously. “And you do now?”

“Yeah, well...” Spike chuckled, suddenly a little embarrassed. “My place is with her. I’ll go wherever she wants.”

Having witnessed Buffy’s anguish first hand when Spike was trapped in the basement with Morou, Rowan didn’t doubt for a second that the vampire’s feelings were mutual. “So, where are you going?”

“Italy.” Spike walked over to a chair and slumped down. “Least that’s our first stop. Meeting up with the slayer’s little sis. Then we’ll see. Might travel for a while. Buffy hasn’t seen much of the world, which I intend to change.”

“I’m sure she’ll like that.” Rowan was quiet for a moment. “Look, I know I’ve said this before, but-“

“Don’t,” Spike interrupted, rolling his eyes. “Stop beating yourself up over what happened. We’re good, mate. Just let it go.” Then he suddenly remembered something. “Hey, meant to say thanks for saving this for me.” He pulled out his lighter from his pocket and held it up with a grin.

“Oh. Well, you’re welcome.” Rowan hesitated. “Actually, if you hadn’t dropped it, I wouldn’t be here now. So it’s really me who should say thanks.”

“That right?” Spike raised a brow, looking at the silver object in his hand before letting it slip back down in his pocket. “Bloody thing’s handy, that’s for sure.”

Buffy chose that moment to return. “Sorry about that. Dawn’s been kind of ecstatic ever since I told her we’re coming to see her tomorrow. She wanted to know what time our flight arrives.” She smiled at Spike before turning to Rowan. “Hey, I feel like I should apologize or something. You know, for threatening to kill you?” Frowning, she added, “Not that I didn’t mean it at the time.”

Rowan snorted. “I understand. Believe me. No need to apologize.”

Instead of objecting, Buffy merely nodded. “Okay. Still, I’m glad you’re all right.” There was a moment of silence. Buffy glanced at Spike. “Maybe we should...?”

“Right,” Spike agreed, eagerly clapping his hands together and rising from the chair. “Wouldn’t want to keep the others waiting.”

Buffy swatted him gently on the arm. “Stop being so smug.” She saw Rowan’s confusion and explained, “Spike just wants to see the look on Angel’s face when he’ll find out we’re leaving the country.”

“Bet he’ll cry. Can’t wait to see it.” Spike snickered. Rowan looked amused and Buffy rolled her eyes. The vampire turned serious. “So, what’re you gonna do when you get out of here? You going back to Wolfram and Hart?”

Rowan’s smile faded. “Don’t think so, man. The doctors all seem positive I’ll be able to walk again, but I was never much of a fighter in the first place and I doubt I’ll do any better after this. Besides, my power’s gone.”

“Really?” Buffy stared at him in shock. “Are you sure? I mean, how’s that possible?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. It disappeared along with Morou. Can’t say I’m actually gonna miss it.” Rowan shrugged. “I don’t know what I’ll be doing after I get out. Guess I need to come up with something I’m actually good at.” He grimaced.

“Well, good luck with that.” Buffy frowned. “I didn’t mean that in a sarcastic way.” Rowan chuckled, waving his hand in dismissal.

Spike flung his arm casually around Buffy’s shoulders. “We’ll talk, mate. Buffy insists I’ll get a sodding phone of my own, might as well use it.” He raised his hand in a wave. “Take care.”

“You too.” Rowan returned the wave, knowing he would miss the vampire. He held back a sigh. “Bye, guys.”


~ ~ ~


“I can’t believe you guys are leaving.” Fred looked from Spike to Buffy, a wistful note in her voice as she added, “I’m gonna miss you.”

“We’ll miss you, too, Fred. But seriously, it’s not like we’ll never see each other again.” Buffy offered the brunette a weak smile. “I mean, we’ll come visit. Right, honey?” She gave Spike a pointed look.

Spike shrugged. “Sure. On rare occasions. Might drop by every five years or so.” Buffy snorted, but didn’t bother to comment.

“Like you could stay away for that long. You know you’re going to miss us.” Lorne patted the blond vampire on the shoulder before turning to Buffy. “Oh, by the way. ’Too Tough To Die’ with The Ramones.” Spike’s eyes widened in horror.

Buffy frowned. “Huh?”

“That’s the song Spikey here sang to me when he first came to Wolfram and Hart,” Lorne explained. “I know you’ve been dying to find out. It was very...” he searched for the right word, “enlightening.”

Clapping a hand over her mouth to stifle a giggle, Buffy turned to Spike who refused to meet her eyes. “I thought you said you ‘didn’t bloody sing’.”

Spike’s eyes narrowed and he glared at the green demon. “Traitor,” he muttered.

“Never thought I’d say this, but it won’t be the same around here without you guys.” Gunn chuckled as he pulled Buffy in for a tight hug, then turned to Spike and shook the vampire’s hand. “Take care, man. Don’t be a stranger.”

Wesley nodded. “I have to agree. These last few months have been most interesting.”

Buffy smiled at the former watcher before glancing at Angel, who had stayed quiet so far. “Well, I guess this is goodbye.” She shrugged awkwardly.

Angel stepped forward, his expression unreadable. “Yeah. Goodbye, Buffy. I wish you the best...” He stopped. “Buffy, are you absolutely sure about this? I mean, you guys don’t have to leave. You could just stay here, and...” His voice trailed off as he saw the look on the slayer’s face. “Never mind. Have a safe trip.” He reached out to hug her, clearly a little uncomfortable.

Then he turned to Spike, rolling his eyes as the other vampire held his arms open, mockingly. “You’ve better not hurt her,” he grumbled.

Spike let his arms drop, his face suddenly dead serious. “You actually believe I’d do that?”

Angel opened his mouth, then closed it again, letting out a defeated sigh. “No, I don’t.”

“I’d bloody kill myself before I’d ever hurt her again,” Spike stated, glancing at the girl in question who had stepped over to him and slipped her small hand into his. “Love you, pet,” he mumbled. “You know that.” Buffy just nodded, giving him a reassuring smile.

“Aw, you two are just so sweet!” Fred exclaimed, grinning widely.

Buffy returned her smile, while Spike looked almost offended. “’M not sweet,” he insisted, sulkily. Then he cleared his throat and turned back to Angel. “Thanks, mate. For, you know,” he shrugged, “everything.”

“You’re, uh, welcome,” Angel mumbled. He took a step closer, as if to give Spike a hug, then froze in his tracks as he noticed that the room had suddenly become dead silent. “Um, good luck,” he finished weakly, quickly stepping back. Spike nodded briefly, his face a mixture of gratitude and embarrassment.

“We’ve better hurry.” Buffy cast a look at her watch. “The plane leaves at midnight, and besides...” She smiled sweetly at Spike. “someone’s promised me a date tonight.”

Spike nodded in agreement. Their bags were all packed and waiting for them back at his place. Which meant they had the rest of the night free. And he wasn’t about to waste any more time. “Right.” He looked around the room and raised his hand in goodbye before slipping his arm around his girl, hugging her close for a moment. The two of them walked out of Angel’s office, and left the large building hand in hand.


~ ~ ~


There was a brief knock before the door opened. Rowan had become used to the doctors and nurses stepping in and out of his room, so he didn’t bother to look up at first. Then a soft voice spoke. “Hi. I was just wondering if you needed anything.”

He turned his head slowly towards the visitor, and his eyes widened in shock. “Julie?” he gasped. For a moment, he just stared at the girl in front of him, feeling like he couldn’t breathe. It couldn’t be. He blinked a couple of times, certain that he was dreaming. But the girl remained by the door.

Now she frowned, looking a little taken aback as she nervously fidgeted with her uniform. “Um, no. My name is Sarah, I’m new here. I’m sorry; you must be confusing me with someone else.” She gave him an apologetic smile.

Rowan looked at the girl again, realizing that she was right. How could he have been so wrong? Still, there was something about her. Her eyes were kind. He swallowed. “Of course. I’m sorry. For a moment, you reminded me of my girlfriend.”

“Oh.” Sarah blushed and lowered her eyes.

“Ex girlfriend, actually. She died.” He wasn’t sure what had compelled him to share that particular information. Maybe it was her obvious disappointment at the word ‘girlfriend’. Or maybe he just wanted her to stick around for a while. Rowan cocked his head to the side, watching her closely. She sure was pretty. Hell, who was he kidding? She was one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen.

All of the sudden, he couldn’t wait to find out everything about her. And he realized that he had all the time in the world.



The End