“Alright, today we will get the engagement scene out of the way… do you have a ring, William?” Emily glanced over at the nervous vampire who was standing behind the slayer and glaring intermittently between Xander and Marcus.

Spike blinked.

Emily’s glance turned into a full-blown glare as she waited for the bleached blonde pest to answer her question. As she stifled a groan, she made eye contact with the little moneymaker and darted her eyes back towards Spike, waiting for his response.

Buffy saw his deer in the headlights look and nudged him back to the present, “ Do you have a ring or are we using the skull? I really don’t the wicked bitch of Los Angeles will wait.”

“Uh…right then. I’ve, uh, got the ring right,” He dug into the pockets of his duster, scrambling to find the tiny velvet box.

“Other pocket Spike.” Dawn leaned over and grabbed the box out of the inside breast pocket and handed it to him.

“Right then. Got the ring here, all proper ‘n everything, thanks to the nibblet that is. Wouldn’t let ‘er sister make due with that rusted ol’ thing. Nope, my girl will be taken care of right proper. Won’t want for anything.” Spike continued to ramble until he yowled in pain as Buffy slammed her elbow subtly into his side, effectively shutting him up.

“Mhmm, Marcus tell them to set up in the corner so we can get the two of them in the center of the room, it’ll have to do.” The hard-faced brunette wrinkled her surgically- refined nose at the small living room.

“Uh, what exactly are we doing?” Buffy stepped forward, bringing Spike along for the ride as he had an arm slung around her waist.

“Oh, you two are going to recreate the proposal so we can get it on tape. It’ll air in the first episode after a short biography on you,” Emily nodded to Buffy before continuing, “and then will continue through with interviews with your friends and family. Don’t worry dear, just a short ‘we’re so happy for them’ will suffice.” She directed her last comment at the bewildered- looking Willow.

“Exactly how much of the proposal do you want us to reenact? Cause, uh, I don’t remember that much.” Buffy internally cringed. How could she forget every second that she was engaged to Spike? Every syllable that dropped from his lips when he asked her to marry him?


“Get a chair nibblet.” Spike stepped out from behind the blonde slayer and directed Dawn to leave the dining room chair in the middle of the room. “You sit there and I believe I was kneeling down here with the sodding ring.” As he listed off their actions, he kneeled in place looking up at his golden goddess and carefully surveying her blushing face. Girl’s got a thing for proposals it seems. Could’ve sworn she wasn’t blushin’ as much the first time. “Right then, I only want to do this once so camera on.”

“It’s just so…So Sudden! I don’t know what to say!” Buffy groaned as she recited the words she had said to the man kneeling before her only two short years prior.

“Just say yes, and make the happiest man on earth.”

“Oh, Spike! Of course it’s yes!” And as two years prior their mouths met in a bruising, passionate kiss that lasted until…

“CUT! What the hell was that?” Emily’s voice shook the room as she shook her head in disgust.

“That would’ve been how I bloody well proposed to my lady the first time,” His voice dropped to a low rumble, “Bloody cow.”

“Where’s the emotion? The romance? The poetry in your voice when you’re asking this beautiful woman to tie herself to you and bear your children…where the hell was all of that?”

“It was left in the sodding 17th century. I proposed, you got the bleeding thing on tape and that’s how it went the first time. Obvious it worked well enough then so sod off!” Spike’s anger was apparent as he tried to walk away, only to be held back by a soft but strong hand on his arm. Turning his head, he found himself looking down at the tiny woman, her green eyes holding the pain of the world in them. “Fine, you want poetry ‘n romance, I can do that.” Dipping his head, he gave Buffy a quick kiss before settling her back down in the chair.

Glancing to Marcus, Emily gave him a nod to start the next take.

“Ready, set, action…”

“Buffy Anne Summers, did you ever know that you’re my hero, and everything I wish I could be? I can fly higher than an eagle, ‘cause you are the wind beneath my wings. It might have appeared to go unnoticed , but I’ve got in all here in my heart.” He added a little tear for effect and prayed the ‘daft cow’ wouldn’t notice that he was quoting a song. “ I want you to know that I know the truth, of course I know it. I would be nothing without you. Did you ever know that you’re my hero? You’re everything, everything I wish I could be. I could fly higher than an eagle, ‘cause you are the wind beneath my wings. Buffy, my love, you are the wind beneath my wings and I would be honored if you would accept this ring and someday become my wife. I’m asking you now, in front of all these people, for you to pledge your life to me and that telling you that I will pledge my life to you if you will accept this.” He finished in tears and slipped the diamond ring on finger at the tiniest nod of her head.

“That was beautiful, so beautiful. Look at those tears. That’s raw emotion. This is Emily Rosemont bringing to you the engagement of Ms. Elizabeth Anne Summers to William James Pratt.” Emily dabbed at her dry eyes before turning away from the camera and motioning to Marcus to turn it off.

“Oh please! That wasn’t a real proposal! He just recited the lyrics to Bette Midler’s Wind Beneath My Wings!” Xander stepped out from his place leaning against the wall to point out the obvious.

“Bloody stupid whelp!”

“Well then, I knew I recognized that little speech from somewhere. We’ll just have to do it again.”

At the sound of Spike’s growl, Buffy laid her hand against his cheek and brought his flashing yellow eyes back to hers before anyone could notice the change. At the touch of her hand, he calmed and his eyes changed back to sparkling blue.

“Look, we already did this and if you aren’t happy with how he proposed the first time, well that’s just too bad because I thought it was beautiful and touching and came from the heart. Go with the first one. We’re done here.” Buffy turned her gaze back on the scowling brunette woman. “It wasn’t flowery or poetic but it worked for us. I’m not exactly the flowers and long walks on the beaches type and neither is Spike, it worked for us and I don’t want to show the public anything other than the real us.”

Emily grumbled for a moment before turning and walking out of the house with a bewildered Marcus trailing behind her.

“So which one do you think they’ll use?” Dawn asked with a sarcastic grin.