Author's Chapter Notes:
The holidays have been hectic but all fics will be updated within the next two weeks, so if you're waiting for something have no fear, it will be updated.
Several months later…

Beep!

You’ve reached the Summers’ residence. We’re not home or we’re screening calls, so leave a message and we might get back to you eventually.

Beep!

“Hey, Buffy, when was the last time you checked the answering machine?” Dawn called out from beside the answering machine as it happily chirped that they had thirty-seven new messages. Really, how hard was it for any of the other two residents to answer the phone on occasion.

From upstairs rustling could be heard as Buffy kicked a pair of black jeans across the room towards the resident vamps laundry pile. “Spike, how hard is it to take your clothes downstairs and wash them? Or, hey here’s an idea, put them in the dresser!” The blonde vampire didn’t bother replying from the shower even though she was sure he could hear her. Although more comfortable with her relationship with Spike, and openly dating, there was just no accounting for living with a man who had been living…un-living as a bachelor long before she was born. “I thought you or Spike had been checking it. Last time I did was sometime in May…or maybe last week.”

Dawn smirked and hit ‘skip’ once more as yet another talk show employee begged for Buffy to call them back and set up an interview. News had broken nearly a month prior that a certain child star was living in Sunnydale with her fiancé and younger sister and was considering breaking back into the business. Of course that last part was just hopeful wishes on Luther’s part as he counted dollar signs and trips to Bermuda.

Buffy, this is your Aunt Darlene. I just heard that you’re doing an interview and I decided it was time to visit my favorite niece. I’ll be there in two shakes of lambs tail, or rather on Tuesday afternoon. I just can’t wait to meet your new fiancé. I cannot believe you didn’t call me immediately with the news or your mother, may she rest in peace. Two years! Two years you’ve been engaged and I, your favorite auntie, didn’t know about it. Well, no bother. I’m sure we can catch up when I get there. My flight arrives at…BEEP!” Anything else she would have said was cut off by the beep of the answering machine signaling she had gone over time.

Dawn blanched, pointing wildly at the answering machine as Buffy rounded the corner.

Seeing her sister, she groaned. “Please tell me the Gentlemen aren’t back. Wait, I’m talking just fine.” She followed her sister’s pointing finger to the answering machine and hit ‘repeat’. With eyes widening as the message played, she collapsed into the nearest chair and covered her eyes. “Oh shit.”

“You can say that again.” Dawn recovered from her temporary loss of voice.

“Fine. Oh shit.” Buffy repeated wryly.

Both heads shot up as the doorbell rang.

“You get it.”

“No way. You’re the one she actually wants to see.” Dawn protested.

“Exactly. You should answer it so I have time to go hide. Come on, Dawn, it’s probably some local reporter wanting a statement since the first part of the special is airing tonight.”

Pounding on the stairs signaled the arrive of the vampire as he deftly pulled a shirt over his head and propped the door open. He had time to blink once before the older woman shoved her way inside.

“Oh, sweetheart, be a doll and toss my bags into my room.” Darlene Morgan regarded the black-clad, bleached blonde man with a curious gaze. “You must be William.”

Extending a hand, he nodded.

“Ooh, you’re hands are cold.” Darlene Summers was nothing but observant.

Reclaiming his hand and stuffing it into a front pocket, he mumbled. “Poor circulation.” Luckily he saved by the presence of his previously hiding fiancé.

Shooting a look, Buffy hugged her aunt and dragged her in from the early evening danger that accompanied living on the hell mouth. “Sorry about that, Will’s got bad circulation. Causes him to be cold to the touch. He’s, um, also allergic to the sun.” Casting him an apologetic glance, she shrugged and stuck to the story they had developed.

Darlene didn’t even blink, “Well, I certainly hope those aren’t traits that are passed onto your children. Really, Buffy, you should be careful about genetics nowadays. I’m certain you’ll have attractive children, just look at those blue eyes, but you’ve got to weed out those bad traits.”

“’s not a problem. Buffy ‘n I…we…” Spike stuttered, cursing himself for cowering in front of a woman that looked so much like Joyce with none of her personality.

Darlene stared pointedly at his crotch, “You aren’t impotent as well, are you?”

“Bloody hell, I’m not soddin’ impotent. Got no problems in that area!”

Buffy stepped forward and laid a hand over his arm, effectively calming him or at least restraining him from a murderous rage. “What William is trying to say is we haven’t decided if we want children or not right now. We’re both pretty young and we’ve got time to decide.” Motioning for Dawn to step around the corner she had been hiding behind, she shoved the unsuspecting woman into her sister’s arms. “Oh look, here’s Dawn and I’m sure she would love to catch you up on every tiny, miniscule detail that has gone on in her life. Why don’t you two catch up and William and I can get your room setup, unless you’re going to be staying in a hotel?” Buffy tried to keep the hopeful tone out of her voice.

“Good heavens no, my dear. Why would I stay in a hotel when I can spend time with my family? I thought your mother raised you better than to even ask that question. Good luck with that one, William. She’s always been a hard one. Like I was telling Joyce…”

Darlene never got to finish her sentence before Dawn dragged her into the kitchen while Spike and Buffy made their escape upstairs.

“It’s just for a week…maximum, I hope.” Buffy laid a hand on Spike’s chest in an effort to calm him. “It won’t be that bad and maybe we can convince her to go to a hotel after all.”

“She called me bloody impotent! The bint was in our home for two soddin’ seconds ‘n she called me impotent!” Spike bounced lightly.

A shout from downstairs caught their attention, “Buffy! I hope you and your mister aren’t having premarital relations up there! What would your mother say?”

“One week or I risk one helluva headache killin’ the bloody bint.”