“Well I’m sorry Angel, but I hear different, you didn’t quit, you were sacked, for gross misconduct no less!”

“Some fucking agent YOU turned out to be, whose side are you on anyway Pavayne, hmm – tell me that – while I’m not working, you’re not getting your percentage don’t forget, so it’s in your best interests to get me some more work!”

“I’ll see what I can do!”

“You’ll do better than that!”

Pavayne was getting ticked off with this jerk to say the least…

“I said, I’ll do what I can, they’re not exactly knocking my door down with offers you know, never have been for you – did you ever wonder why you didn’t even get a slot on Celebrity Cubes or even voice-overs for commercials? – Newsflash baby – you’re not as popular as you think you are…” With that blistering comment Pavayne put the phone down, muttering ‘Prick’.

ooOOoo

“Whoo hoo! Day off tomorrow – I’m not needed!” Spike said after the days filming.

“Lucky for some…!” Buffy said smiling, then she continued

“I’ve still got two more scenes to do yet, and then I can go home, but I’ve got a short day tomorrow, I should be finished at about 3ish!”

“Well, how about I pick you up and we could go somewhere?” Spike suggested

“Yeah – great! Although not out to eat I’m getting a tummy look!” Buffy turned sideways and smoothed her skirt over the very slightest of a rounded tummy

“Nonsense!” Spike said grinning

“I am – I can feel my jeans getting tight, I must have eaten at least a pound of giant shrimp yesterday along with that sea-bass!”

“Lovely and fresh though, great restaurant…so how about if I cook us dinner instead” Spike said grinning

“You cook?” Buffy said with a grin

“Yes, I can cook, nothing too fancy, soup and crackers, if I can open the box…!” Spike teased and Buffy laughed

“No seriously, how does a nice tasty roast chicken grab you, with jacket potatoes and salad?”

“Sounds great – and simple enough to pick up from the supermarket!”

“Caught bang to rights, okay then baby, bring the helmet to work and I’ll pick you up”

“It’s already in the back of my car – so see you tomorrow then take care!” Buffy gave him a quick kiss on the lips, but Spike grabbed her around the waist and pulled her in for a toe-curled of a kiss.

“Oh! Erm…” Xandy walked in and caught them kissing, he was holding the baseball cap they’d bought him.

“It’s okay Xandy, I’m just going…like your cap do you?”

“Yeah it’s great – Willow made it smaller for me now it doesn’t fall off, look!” he put it on and shook his head a little, the cap stayed put.

“Great, see you tomorrow then mate!”

“Yeah, bye!”

“Buffy – ready for the next scene, you’re asking Isaac the delivery guy if he knows of any suppliers of pork products for the diner” Warren called and Buffy went through to film.

ooOOoo

Outside Spike went over to his bike, put in the ignition key, threw his leg over, kicked the stand off and walked the bike backwards he started it up and revved and then slowly letting the clutch out he made his way to the security kiosk. He wasn’t going fast, the speed limit on the lot was supposed to be 20 mph, but hardly anybody kept to it

Ten yards from the barrier he slowed down and pulled the lever in for the brake, and it was loose he pumped it a few times and realised he had no brakes – the barrier was getting closer and closer, he put his arms up and the barrier hit him shoulder height, pushing him off backwards, he landed with a sickening ‘thud’ and the bike slew sideways from under him and out into the road.

The security guard came running out of his kiosk, he’d been letting somebody in the other side and didn’t see what had happened. He knelt by Spike’s prone body and dashed back to the kiosk dialling a 9 on the internal phone

“Yes this is West security gate 3, can you send the paramedics please, I don’t quite know what’s happened but a guy’s come off his motorcycle at the barrier………yes he’s wearing a helmet…no, he’s not moving…sure I will thanks!”

Somebody had pulled up in front of Spike and had got out of the car and knelt down by him.

“Have you called an ambulance?” the guy in the suit stood up

“Yes, paramedic’s are on their way” the security guard said

“Who is it, do you know?”

“Hold on…his pass flew out of his hand, I’ll get it………oh god, it’s William Giles – he’s in that soap Wilson’s Mountain” the TV executive said. They could hear the siren of the paramedics coming across the lot.

It took them less than 4 minutes to get to him, having a medical facility on-site. The ambulance pulled up and the two paramedics got out

They took one look at the situation and decided that it was too serious and needed an ER room at a proper hospital

“We’ll put him on a rescue gurney, that way he won’t be able to move his head, in case he’s damaged his neck, we won’t touch the helmet, leave that to the docs, we might do more harm than good if we try to remove it”

They very carefully strapped Spike to a rescue gurney and strapped the helmet so his head wouldn’t move, then they carefully slid the gurney into the ambulance, and made their way to the hospital

The chief of security was next on the scene wanting to know what happened. They retrieved the bike and saw at once the brake cable was snapped.

“The police will want to see this no doubt, so will the accident investigators – I’ll get it taken on a low-loader to one of the empty lock-ups, and then I’ll get the set builders to see if they can repair the barrier, just do the best you can with it” The chief of security left.

ooOOoo

“Okay cut! We’ll have to stop a minute - don’t they know we’re trying to film here! What’s with all the sirens?” Warren asked annoyed, he was pressing a number on his mobile

“Yes, hello security central, can you tell me why are all the sirens going off – were trying to film here…yeah Set 8, Wilson’s Mountain set…yes…uh huh…yes, thank you! Can I quote you on that, should be no more – who – the chief – go on then yes I’ll speak to him…yes – who am I - why – well if you must know I’m the Executive Producer of Wilson’s Mountain…yes I know him…OH MY GOD – are you sure? Oh god – oh god this is terrible, where have they taken him? – Yes, right thank you, bye”

Warren turned and saw Tara standing in the doorway, she asked

“Can we get on now?” With a sideways motion of the head and a beckoning hand he said

“Come here – Spike’s come off his bike at the security gate, they’ve had to take him to the Memorial Hospital – the security chief said looks like the brake cable on his bike snapped”

“Oh my god! – We better tell Buffy at once!”

“Tell Buffy what – I’m not doing any scenes with- what, what is it, you two look-“

“Buffy - It’s Spike, he’s come off his bike, he’s been taken to hospital – the security chief said it looks like his brake cable snapped”

Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth and she felt tears well up

“Look, you tell the others, I’ll take you to the hospital, come on, get your things” Tara said, and Buffy quickly got her jacket and bag and dashed out to Tara’s car.


ooOOoo


The Memorial Hospital an hour later……

The police were already at the hospital when Buffy and Tara got there.

Tara nudged Buffy and said,

“Are you going to tell them of your suspicions?”

“What, you mean that Angel could be behind this? – I don’t know…do you think I should?”

Tara nodded emphatically yes.

The cops were talking to a nurse and a doctor

Buffy and Tara sat down outside the trauma ward on a bench seat. Next to her were three vending machines, one for hot drinks and one for cold and the other for snacks

“Have you rang his father?” Tara asked

“I don’t know him! I don’t know how to contact him or…” Buffy began

“Alright, sorry course you don’t…want another tea?” Buffy shook her head and twisted the tissue in her hands.

A nurse came from behind a desk and came over to them

“Do either of you know how to contact Mr Giles’ father?”

“No, sorry – um but I know where he’s performing”

“I’m sorry, performing?” The nurse asked frowning

“Yes, his father is the Shakespearean actor Sir Rupert Giles, that’s William Giles in there”

“Is it oh...I didn’t recognise him with all the swelling and the bruising – so do you think you can find out how to contact his father for me?” the nurse asked. Tara nodded and took her mobile phone out of her bag.

“Oh god I wish I could see him!” Buffy said

“Um…let me see…who shall I ring…I know”…………Tara switched on her phone and scrolled down her number menu. After a few seconds of ringing her call was answered…

“Is that Wesley Wyndam Pryce? Ah, hello my name is Tara McClay I was wondering if you could help me please, I urgently need to contact Sir Rupert Giles, his son has been involved in an accident and the hospital needs to contact him…………yes…… yes……yes, well I know he was due to start a run of Hamlet next month on Broadway, but I thought he was in LA at the moment – I see, do you know anybody who would know? Who………………no I don’t know her…would you – please, it’s the Memorial Hospital trauma unit, ward 7……yeah………… 7, that’s right – as soon as possible please, thank you so much, bye-bye”

“He knows Sir Rupert’s agent, he’s going to phone her to phone him” Tara explained, and Buffy just nodded. She was just clutching the bench either side of her knees.

The nurse who asked for the information came back to the nurse’s station, and Tara went and explained what was happening.

Buffy was aware that Tara had stood up again and she looked up and saw Warren and Willow coming towards them.

“Any news?”

“No…they’re trying to get hold of his father, his agent is going to phone him to phone here” Tara explained

Willow went and sat by her friend

“Oh Buffy!”

She pulled her friend into a sideways hug and Buffy stayed with her head on Willow’s shoulder.

“I think Angel’s got something to do with this, I’m sure – brake cables don’t just snap do they – I was going to tell the police, but they were talking to the doctor one minute, next they’d gone” Buffy said quietly.

“Be careful what you say Buffy – I don’t see how Angel could have done anything, he was escorted off the premises by security don’t forget” Willow reminded her

“What everyday since Thursday morning?”

“What?”

“Thursday morning when he arrived for work - don’t forget we went to the airport from the studios in a cab. Spike’s bike has been there since Thursday morning – he’s had plenty of opportunity” Buffy looked up to see Tara and Warren looking at her, they’d heard what she said.

“As Willow said, be careful, the mood he’s in he’ll sue you for slander if you’re not careful”

The phone rang at the nurse’s station and they heard the nurse say,

“Oh good evening Mr Giles, then she turned away and dropped her voice so they couldn’t hear anything else.

ooOOoo

“Buffy…Buffy”

“Hmm – wha-oh – I’m stiff!” Buffy sat up and yawned

“What’s the time?”

“Nearly midnight, want to go home?” Tara asked

“No! No I’m not leaving until I can see him. You go if you want”

“Are you sure – how will you get home?”

“I’ll phone a cab – don’t worry, thanks for everything Tara, I’ll see you later” Tara stood, yawned and stretched picked up her bag and left.

A doctor came through the doors from the room Spike was in, and Buffy asked if she could see him

“I don’t see why not – just for a few minutes”


There were all sorts of machines monitoring Spike and his head was heavily bandaged. He had a canula drip in the back of his hand, but Buffy gently slipped her fingers gently around his palm

“Spike…I um…I don’t know if you can hear me…please be alright” She bit her lip and tears began to fall again. Buffy kept on holding his hand and sat down. She wiped her eyes and nose and tried to think of something to say

“Your father’s coming to see you, he’ll be here soon. And Warren and Willow came earlier, and Tara’s outside she’s been great, she bought me here straight away, soon as we heard. Oh Spike, I wish you could answer me!”

She looked at him and felt sick and hopeless, useless and sure that Angel had something to do with it.

The door to the room opened and in walked a tall, distinguished looking man with greying temples. He was wearing a dark coloured suit covered with an Armani raincoat. Buffy recognised him as Sir Rupert Giles, Spike’s father.

Buffy stood immediately, hoping her face didn’t look too bad from crying.

He walked over and stood by the bed and then he looked at Buffy and smiled,

“Hello – I’m Rupert, and you are?”

Buffy took his hand and shook it saying

“Hi, I’m Buf- Well Elizabeth Summers, but everybody calls me Buffy”

“Of course, the light in here isn’t very good, I’m sorry I should have recognised you” He turned his gaze back to his son

“Do you know what actually happened? All I’ve been told is that he came off that wretched motorbike of his – damnable contraption!!” Buffy thought how typically English he sounded

“No, I um…well I… oh god…I’m sorry – I“ Buffy ran out of the room, nearly bowling the nurse over who was just about to enter.

“Oh….um, do you think I should go after her at all?” Sir Rupert asked

“Don’t worry, she’s a little over-emotional because I imagine she’s tired, she’s been here since this afternoon when it happened. I just came to say the Doctor will be with you shortly”

“Right, thank you Nurse…(he squinted at her name badge) Ross”

“You’re welcome” she left and went out into the corridor and into the ladies toilets

“Honey, are you in here?” she called out

There was the sound of a toilet flushing and a lock sliding back, and slowly a door opened and Buffy came out of one of the cubicles and walked to a sink. She turned on the cold tap and splashed her face, and then tore out several paper towels to dry herself.

“You okay honey?” the nurse smiled fondly at her putting her hand on Buffy’s shoulder.

“Yes…I think so – how is he? I mean I know he’s unconscious, and the machines and that…”

“Just having to wait at the moment, he’s had a brain scan, there’s slight swelling like he took a right hook from Mike Tyson say, once that goes down, well, he should be right as rain…his neck is okay no breaks. Luckily the helmet took the brunt of the hit when he fell”

Buffy looked down and nodded

“I bet his dad thinks I’m some sort of lunatic running away like that”

“I told him you were probably tired, that you’d been here since the accident this afternoon. Come on now, I’ve got your number, I’ll leave it with the day-staff to ring you the minute he comes around okay – you get off home and get some sleep”

Buffy smiled and nodded, but she didn’t really want to leave. The nurse turned to leave and Buffy said,

“Excuse me”

Nurse Ross turned expectantly without a word

Buffy looked at her hands looking for the right words, and then she looked up at Nurse Ross and said,

“I-I um…I th-think s-somebody cut the brake cable on the bike” Buffy said

“What?” Nurse Ross frowned and let the door go and she came over to Buffy, frowning she held Buffy by the shoulder

“Are you sure honey?”

“No…but so much has happened and things have got totally out of hand – and I’m probably making no sense to you at the moment”

“Honey, if you think foul play’s been involved then you’ve got to talk to the cops that young man could be lying in the morgue instead of a bed, the truth must be investigated”

Buffy nodded and decided to grab the bull by the horns and do it.

She left the toilets and Nurse Ross went to her station. Buffy saw that the doctor was talking to Spike’s father and went over to the nurse

“Would you apologise to Sir Rupert for me for running out on him like that – I’ve decided, I’m going to the police now” Buffy said with a strong firm resolve

“That’s good honey, I’ll tell him for you”

Just then two men came up to the nurses station, one carrying a large camera, the other asked and asked

“Is it true you have Spike Giles in here?”

“And you are – “ The nurse began, but the guy looked at Buffy and said

“Hey, it must be true it’s Buffy – Mike, it’s Buffy look - how is he babe, what happened somebody said he came off his bike at 70 miles an hour” ‘Mike’ began to snap off a few photos and Buffy frowned and held up her hand saying

“Go away, leave me alone – stop that!”

The nurse rang for security, and then turned to the two men

“Out, come on, you know you shouldn’t be in here, journalists aren’t allowed”

“Hey just doing my job – this is big news!”

Security came running around the corner and the guy held his hands up and said

“Alright, Alright, we’re leaving – you can call off the cavalry – so how about a quote Buffy – and is there any truth in the rumours that you and he are an item – you certainly looked cosy enough on the Wavecrest show! Buffy – Buffy, even if you don’t tell us we’ll print it anyway!”

“Come on, OUT!” The security guard grabbed the photographer by the arm and began to lead him towards the exit.

Buffy looked at the nurse and said,

“Is there another exit – I don’t want to see them again outside”

“Sure honey, Carlton will take you over to the taxi rank, won’t you honey?”

The other security guy held out his arm and said

“This way ma’am, follow me” And Buffy did. Slipping out of Security’s rest room she slipped straight into a taxi and said,

“The nearest police station please” she said and sat back and closed the door.

ooOOoo


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think.......please!!!!