Chapter 13 Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide


“Are you happy with that statement then Miss Summers?” Buffy read the three page statement she’d made to the police and nodded.

“Good, will you please sign the bottom and date it for me, thanks” Buffy did as she was asked and the detective got up and left the room.

Buffy yawned, she felt so tired, and looked at her watch. No wonder, it was 2.55am. The detective came back into the room and said,

“Okay Miss Summers, we’ll be interviewing your work colleagues sometime later on today, and there’s a warrant out for the arrest of one Mr Angel Angelson, that will be executed ASAP. Will you be at your home address today in case we need to ask you some more questions?”

“Um, either there or at work at the studios”

“Do we have a contact number for you?” The detective scanned the statement

“You have my home phone number, I’ll give you my mobile number too, its 0555………”

ooOOoo


“Alright, ALRIGHT! Jeez, where’s the fire?!” Angel was woken by a loud and insistent hammering on the front door. He answered it doing up the belt on his dressing gown. Two uniformed policemen were standing on his doorstep.

“Mr Angel Angelson?”

“Yes”

“I’m Officer Patrick Murphy, and this is Officer Carlos Fuentes, would you mind if we came in please?” Angel ran his hand through his hair, and although he was shaking slightly, he tried to sound calm.

“Good grief, um, what’s it all about?” he stood back from the door and the two officers walked in.

“I have a warrant here for your arrest, connected to a motorcycle accident that happened on the parking lot of Blackmore Broadcasting Productions yesterday afternoon at around 3.30pm”

“WHAT – look I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about, I wasn’t at the studios at that time yesterday, I’d come home by then!”

“Will you please just get dressed and come with us sir”

“But this is ridiculous! It’s what, not 5.30 in the morning and you come banging on my door, accusing me of all sorts of things of which I have no knowledge whatsoever-“

“Mr Angelson, please just get dressed, else we’ll take you dressed like that and you wouldn’t want to be in the ‘tank’ with no pants on now, would you, sir?”

“I’m phoning my lawyer!” Angel went to his phone but the Hispanic officer put his hand over it so Angel couldn’t see the numbers.

“Er, there will be plenty of time to do that at the station sir, now I won’t tell you again, GET DRESSED!” The officer meant business Angel could see that. So he went upstairs and got dressed. He thought about doing a runner out of the bathroom window, over the flat kitchen roof and off – but he didn’t want to rouse any more suspicions than necessary.

He came down stairs fiddling with the cuffs of his casual ‘lumberjack’ style shirt and said

“Well come on, I suppose we better get this fiasco over and done with…but if you ask me it’s that Spike Giles who should be arrested – seen this, have you, huh – seen this black eye I’ve got – that’s all down to him! He’s an animal that’s what he is, an animal, and he’s the one that ought to be locked up, not me!”

“Mr Giles is lying in a hospital bed, in a coma, now say nothing else until asked to do so. Get in the car please” Angel did as he was told. His stomach did a flip at the news about Spike, but he said nothing.


ooOOoo

“Det Lindsey? – It’s Doyle here from forensics – I have here a preliminary report about the motorcycle that was in the accident yesterday – the Spike Giles one”

“Oh yes, what have you found?”

“Well one thing’s for sure, the cable was definitely cut, it didn’t snap. When something has metal fatigue and snaps, you’d get jagged edges, but I’ve looked at it with my own eyes and under the microscope, and the break comes down to a definite ‘V’ shape, and there are two more indentations above the actual cut, like whoever did it slipped a couple of times before they actually managed to cut it”

“So she was right with her suspicions then” Lindsey said.

“Yup, looks like it. I’ll write up my findings and let you have the report and photographs by lunchtime today – bye”

“Right, thanks, and Bye Doyle”

ooOOoo


“Oh god, are you even LISTENING to me – how many more times have I got to tell you?” Angel said angrily. Slamming his fist on the table.

“Again, we’ll take it from the top” Detective Lindsey said

“You’ve had it in for Mr Giles ever since he joined the cast of the show you both work on, haven’t you?”

“No – in fact he beat me up, these black eyes I’ve got are a result of HIM, hitting ME” Angel spat out. Ignoring that statement Lindsey continued,

“Why are you stalking Miss Summers?”

“Stalking? – I wasn’t aware I was stalking her, we were practically engaged!”

“That’s not what she tells us; she says that you seem have problems differentiating between fact and fiction, what is reality and what’s written for the show”

“Rubbish!”

“So why turn up at her house demanding to ‘talk’ about things when there was nothing to talk about. – And according to Miss summers you stole a front door key to her house from a colleague and got in and spied on her most intimate moments”

“Look – I didn’t steal the key, I found it on the floor in the rehearsal room…and I also told you, that idiot, that, that fly-by-night junkie has turned her head! Buffy’s a nice girl, a lovely girl, she shouldn’t be with a waster like him – he’ll ruin her, spoil her – bring her down to his level, and I for one am not prepared to watch her about to throw her life away on scum like him”

“Don’t you think that’s Buffy’s decision to make?”

Angel scowled and screwed his eyes up, clenched his fists and said

“You’re not listening to me – her heads been turned by him!”

“Actually Mr Angelson, whoever Miss Summers cares to consort with, is her own business and as regards the drugs………from what I can see here, the only person to have a wrap sheet on drugs, is you. Caught smoking cannabis at a frat party when you were 17 it says here”

Angel sat there dumb-founded, and then he said,

“He’s a junkie – that one guy from his stupid group died from an overdose – they were always in the papers about their antics in other countries!”

“Actually, he’s not. He passed medicals and tests to prove he wasn’t taking any class ‘A’ drugs. And don’t forget, Mr Giles is English by birth. Any convictions for drugs offences and he wouldn’t have been allowed into this country, so your theory about him being a ‘junkie’ as you call him, is out of the window.

There was a knock at the door and another detective, Holt, put his head around.

“Can I have a quick word please?”

Detective Lindsey stood and left the room, closing the door behind him.

“We’ve found something on the CCTV footage – looks suspicious it shows somebody creeping in the shadows, walking towards Set 8 where the bike was parked, then it shows them walking to the bike, but the angle is too sharp for the CCTV camera, we can’t see them actually doing the deed”

“Does it look like our man?” Lindsey asked.

“I’d say yes, right build and height, I asked one of the guys in CSI to try and clean up the tape, and enlarge the picture, it goes a bit grainy, but I would bet on it being him” Detective Holt said.

“He doesn’t have an alibi for any night the bike was left there unattended on the lot – he says he didn’t realise he’d need one, just that he was home, alone”

“I’ve just had a thought! Don’t they have to show a pass when they drive onto the lot?” Holt asked

“I should have thought so, it would be easy enough to check that, I know they have to go through a security gate to get in or out – see if there’s footage of him leaving – he drives a dark blue Taurus, I’ll get the licence plate number, hold on”

Lindsey opened the interview room door and said to Angel,

“What‘s the license plate number of your car?”

“Why”

“Just tell me please Mr Angelson”

“I want to know why – do I have to tell them?” Angel turned towards his lawyer, who said

“You don’t have to say a word Mr Angelson, but they’ll find that out easily enough, they only have to look on the computer at the records office, and if you’ve nothing to hide…”

Angel sat back in his chair and folded his arms. He knew the game was up – why did he have to go and DRIVE there – how stupid could he be? – He could be done for attempted homicide now!

“Are you going to tell me or – “ Lindsey asked impatiently

“Alright…I did it”

“What?” Lindsey frowned briefly and came into the room fully

“I did it. I cut the brake cable”

Angel’s lawyer looked shocked and said,

“I advise you not to say anymore Mr Angelson!” he then looked at Det. Lindsey and continued,

“I need five minutes alone with my client”

“Oh shut up…I’m in enough trouble – I did it. I cut the cable to frighten them, him – I just wanted him to back off Buffy” Angel said miserably.

Holt looked into the room and asked

“The number?”

“Won’t be necessary, he’s just admitted it, bag the tape up and mark it as evidence I’ll come and get it later” Lindsey said. Holt nodded and left.

ooOOoo

“Miss Summers? – It’s Detective Lindsey here, first any news of Mr Giles?”

Buffy’s voice was thick with sleep still and she croaked something about the hospital said Spike had had a ‘comfortable’ night, whatever that meant………

“Well I just rang to tell you that your suspicions were correct, Angelson DID cut the brake cable, he admitted it just”

“OH GOD…he admitted it – oh my God!”

“He’ll be formally arraigned in the morning, until then we’ll keep in custody here”

“Thank you for telling me Detective Lindsey, bye” Buffy felt awful, she felt tired and sick but starving hungry too. She flip-flopped into the kitchen in her robe and slippers, and put the kettle on. Her mobile rang again and she answered it.

“Hello”

“Buffy? – How are you – you sound awful!” Willow said

“I’m okay, tired – I just had detective Lindsey on the phone, Angel admitted it, he cut the brake cable”

“Oh god – so what happens now, is he going to be charged?”

“The arraignment is in the morning, but I’m not sure what they’re charging him with…probably attempted homicide”

ooOOoo

“Well just do the two scenes with you today Buffy, and we’ll let you get off, I’m sure you want to go home to bed” Warren said, Tara was standing behind him.

“Oh thanks, I appreciate it – but I’m going to see Spike first” Buffy said yawning

“Hmm…you’re giving Andrew a hard time in makeup, he’ll have to hide those dark circles under your eyes, and you need to look fresh as a daisy!”

ooOOoo

“That’s a wrap, okay Buffy you can go for today” Tara called

“Thanks everybody, I do really appreciate this” Buffy said

“Buffy…is Spike going to be okay?” Xandy asked worriedly. Buffy took his hand and said,

“Sure Xandy, don’t worry, when he’s a bit better, I’ll take you to see him, okay?”
Xandy smiled at this and said,

“Yeah!”

ooOOoo

Buffy got in her car and drove off the lot. She turned onto interstate 6 towards the hospital when her mobile rang. She pressed answer on her hands free set and said,

“Hello?”

“Miss Summers, it’s the Memeorial hospital here – just to let you know that Mr Giles has woken up-“

Buffy beamed as she drove into the tunnel, but she lost the signal for her phone and got static.
As soon as she came out of the tunnel the call had ended. Anyway, she didn’t care, she was two minutes away and she’d soon see him, and be able to tell him how she went to the police and how Angel had been charged that morning with attempted homicide.

After parking Buffy ran up the steps and into the hospital, ignoring the couple of paparazzi calling out to her.

She walked down the corridor and along to the trauma unit, to ward 7, and pushed open the door. Spike was sitting up in bed, his head still heavily bandaged.

Grinning from ear to ear as walked up to the bed she gently hugged him and kissed his lips softly

“You gave me SUCH a fright yesterday, lying here with all these wires and stuff going into you!” Spike smiled at her – she was a pretty lady, no doubt about that………

“Well I’m sorry love; I’d hate to put a crease in that very pretty brow of yours…so tell me something?”

“Anything!” Buffy said grinning

“Who are you?” Spike asked


Chapter End Notes:
So? Whaddya think - let me know!!! Thanks