Chapter 15 Knowing Me Knowing You……………


“……………Sad business!” Officer Jones said

“Yes…but these things happen, and life must go on for the rest of us – I’ve had to find a new supplier”

Buffy said, she wiped down the counter and offered the Officer more coffee.

“I won’t thanks, looks like your soft drinks delivery here – well I better get off, bye!” The Officer put on his police hat and left the diner.

Isaac the delivery guy walked in and said,

“I just saw the slaughter man taking the last of the pigs from Hogg’s farm – shame huh?”

“Yes, so Office Riley just said…still as I said before, life must go on – I’ve got a new supplier, and I’ll be hoping you’ll try out my new products, let me know what you think – we’ll be having a cook out later on this week” Buffy said

Isaac grinned, removed his cap, scratched his forehead and grinned replacing his cap he said

“I sure will do that Miss Buffy – save me a sausage! Right then, I’ll get your order – oh and I’ve got an offer of fresh orange juice if you’re interested”

“You know me Isaac, always in for a bargain” Buffy said smiling

“And cut – that’s a wrap everybody take lunch now – after lunch I need Charity, Red, and Handy Andy, and um………Susie, that’s right – okay everyone” Warren said and everybody stood down.

Buffy pulled her waitress cap off and opened her locker, she kicked off her shoes and slipped out of her diner uniform and into some new jeans and a pretty white lacy top.

She then pulled the covered elastic from her hair and Willow walked in and said,

“Give my regards to Spike, won’t you”

“Well, I told him all his work colleagues send their best, it’s just he can’t put a name to a face yet – although for somebody whose lost their memory, he’s in remarkably good spirits”

“Course – how stupid am I?!” Willow said grinning

Buffy slipped on her driving pumps and ran a brush through her hair.

“There, how do I look?”

“Very nice…are those new jeans?”

“Uh huh, bought them in NY, Donna Karan no less!” Buffy wiggled her bottom and smiled. She took out a small mirror and applied mascara and then lip gloss.

“Not going to lunch?” She asked Willow

“No…I’ve got to go to my mother’s tonight, it’s monthly visit time - she always cooks enough to feed an army and starts moaning when I don’t eat it!”

Buffy grinned and dropped the makeup back into her bag.

“Well that’s me off – what time will you be home, any idea?”

“As early as I can, I’ll tell mom I’ve got an early start, or else I’ll get supper too, let alone the stuff she parcels up for me to bring home!”

“Okay, I’ll email you first, and then I’ll ring you, okay?” Buffy said.

“Sure – mind how you go – oh there’s Ford – I must go, I want to borrow his Dingoes tape – mind how you go………Ford………………FORD!”

ooOOoo

When Buffy got to the hospital, she had to wait ten minutes because the doctors were with him.

After they left, she went into his room

He was lying back, eyes closed listening to her iPod.

She lifted the one earphone and said,

“Hello there!” Spike grinned and sat up, switching off the music.

“Sorry for interrupting!” She grinned and gave him a light kiss. Spike also grinned and pulled her close again giving her a toe-curler of a kiss

“Phew!”

“That’s better – and I’d rather be interrupted by you than those doctors anytime!” Buffy grinned and sat down

“Is that so?”

“Uh huh…anyway, been listening to this music………it’s weird, I feel I know it, it’s like it’s on the tip of my tongue…it’s a bit frustrating”

“Oh…I’m sorry, I thought that-“

“No, no – you misunderstand me – the doctor’s all said it was all to the good, and when my black are yellow-ish, that means all the brain swelling should have gone by then.” Buffy nodded. And then Spike added,

“Some of these lyrics are a bit – well naughty really aren’t they? I mean take this one…Running Man
“Going to run it fast baby, at a steady pace, and when you catch me up, you’re gonna sit on my face!” Buffy giggled and so did Spike. Then he said,

“Move a bit closer to the bed so I can hold your hand?” Buffy smiled and said

“Sure” She stood and dragged the chair closer and sat, then reached for his hand. Spike laced his fingers through hers, and looked at them, and then frowned slightly, looking deep in thought.

“What’s up?” Buffy asked worriedly sitting forward

“Nothing – I um…feels familiar I just kinda had a flash that I’d looked at our hands like this before, with our fingers like this, that’s all”

“Taking off on the plane to New York – I told you I wasn’t too good taking off, I get nervous” Buffy explained

Spike grinned.

Tea time came and Buffy left shortly after.

She went to see him everyday, and four days later when she got in he didn’t have a bandage on anymore, and his black-eyes were just yellowish patches now, and the brain swelling had completely gone. When she got into the room, Spike’s father Sir Rupert was already there.

“Oh – em…do you want me to wait outside?”

“Not at all Buffy, come in!”

Buffy walked to the bedside and Spike eagerly sat up and gave her a kiss, just a nice friendly hello, didn’t want to do anything too spectacular in front of ‘dad’!, But he kept hold of her hand

“Maybe you can talk some sense into him” Rupert began with a smile

“So, what’s this then?” Buffy asked, she too was smiling, although Spike wasn’t…

“My father wants me to go back to England; he seems to think if I’m surrounded by the stuff of my childhood, I might get my memory back” The smile left Buffy’s face.

“Oh…er well…erm…I suppose it might h-help”

“It wouldn’t – it won’t – please be on my side here!” Spike asked giving her hand a squeeze.

“Look William the doctors have said you are well enough to be discharged, although they don’t want you to be on your own, now Mrs Calendar will be more than happy to look after you, I telephoned her last night, and she said she’d make your old room up and -”

“Mrs Calendar?” Buffy asked looking from Spike to his father

“She’s the housekeeper at Carrisbrooke, the family home in Berkshire, England, know me since birth, apparently” Spike said miserably.

“The doctors said he can be discharged, but he mustn’t be left on his own, not for a while anyway, in case of black-outs or fits” Sir Rupert said.

“Oh. Well, if it’s just about Sp-er William being on his own, it’s simple, he can move in with me” Buffy said

Spike grinned and said

“Can I? – Did you hear that dad, so that’s settled then!”

“No so fast young man…you can’t expect Buffy to wait on you hand and foot!”

“I’m not, I won’t!”

“He can come back to work, ride in with me every morning, he’s only got to read up on his character he can come into work with me every day, and ride home, I can cook us dinner and be there for him, he um, he can have his own room and everything” Buffy said

The smile soon went from Spike’s face and he looked up and frowned and said,

“Eh?” Buffy didn’t dare look at him, she kept her eyes firmly on Sir Rupert. When Buffy said he could have his own room, ever since she’d kissed him and hinted that they’d done more than kissing he’d been itching to find out what exactly…

Buffy was trying not to blush and let on she was fibbing – well he could strictly speaking have his own room, but she didn’t want him to!

“But…well won’t it be an awful imposition for you?” Rupert asked

“Not at all – it’ll be lovely to have somebody for company”

“Well…alright then, if you’re sure, but you must let me pay you”

“Oh I wouldn’t dream of-“ Buffy began, but Sir Rupert already had his cheque book out and he said,

“Gas, water, electric, food, telephone, laundry, it all adds up, and don’t forget he’ll have to come back here for regular check-ups…let me see, what if we say $1500 and month, would that be fair – or $2000 would you say – yes, $2000 it is, and if it’s anymore, then you can let me know. I’ll get this done by direct debit if you like, but I’ll make this one out to cash for the first month”

Buffy looked down at a grinning Spike and smiled

“That’s really generous of you Sir Rupert, but honestly you-“ Buffy began, but he wasn’t listening. He signed the cheque with a flourish, ripped it off and handed it to her smiling.

“You must just call me Rupert, you can drop the ‘Sir’ nonsense, here you go, and this is my mobile number – I’m in New York from Sunday”

“Right, well thank you” Buffy put the cheque in her bag and the mobile number in her phone

“Well, I shall have to love and leave you both, I’ve got a radio interview at three thirty, but I’ll cancel it if you want me to William?”

“No dad, it’s okay, you get off and do what you’ve got to do – and you know I’m alright, especially now Buffy’s gonna take care of me”

Sir Rupert grinned and said,

“Well, take care son – and um Buffy could I just have a word outside”………Buffy nodded and left her bag on the bed and followed him out.

“I haven’t said anything to him about the incident that caused him to be here, now I know from what Detective Lindsey told me was that you thought the brake cable on his bike was cut, and this turned out to be right?” Buffy nodded and said,

“Yes, that’s right, Angel Angelson, was a work colleague of ours, he’s since had the sack, he was having some reality/fiction issues…… (she went on to explain)…… so when he thought they’d got him on CCTV camera doing it, he confessed” Sir Rupert nodded and said,

“I see, well look, if it gets to court and you need a good lawyer, give this guy a ring, (he gave Buffy a business card, which she glanced at before putting it in her jeans back pocket) he knows all the details, and it won’t cost you a penny, he knows to come to me for any monies owed – the doctor said it would be best not to tell William too much, he doesn’t need the added stress while he’s trying to get his memory back” Buffy nodded and said she understood.

“Right then, well thank you SO much for this Buffy, you’ve put my mind at rest…and may I just say my son has a very good eye for a pretty girl, memory or not!” Buffy blushed and she gave him a hug.

“I’ll just put my head around the door…Bye then Will – I’ll see you in roughly a fortnight”

“Bye dad, take care” William waved from the bed. Buffy went back inside Spike looked at her expectantly and asked

“So, what was that all about?” Buffy grinned and perched on the edge of the bed

“He was saying to me, if it all gets too much looking after you, I’m to send you packing to England!” Spike grabbed her and began to tickle her, and Buffy shrieked and fell forward against him. Just then the door opened and a doctor walked in. Buffy jumped guiltily off the bed and tried to hide her red-as-a-beet face!

“Well, I see you’re miles better then William!” the doctor said, looking over the top of his glasses at Buffy, but he was smiling while he said it.

“Sure am!”

“Yes well, I’ve just spoken with your father and he said that your girlfriend here is going to look after you, is that right?” Both Buffy and Spike grinned and said ‘yes’

“Good – well Nurse Ross has just gone to pharmacy and get your prescription for some pain killers and sleeping tablets, only use them if you need to, and no drinking alcohol with them do you hear?”

“Yes doctor”

“Good. Now here is an appointment card for the Neurological department, they deal with all types of brain things there. Your first appointment is for next Wednesday at 10.15am – and here’s your prescription. Now if you feel faint, or have a black out or a fit or seizure you are to come back to us IMMEDIATELY do you understand It’s very important that you do because it could be something serious and the quicker we get to it, the quicker and better the recovery, okay?” The doc looked from Buffy to Spike and they both nodded seriously.

“Well okay then, here you go” he handed over the appointment card and the drugs from the pharmacy.

“That mean I can go now?” Spike asked

“It does, remember what I said” they both nodded again and he left.

“Right then…let’s get you home… - er what do you want to do with the flowers?”

“Oh, let the hospital keep them shall we – we don’t want to clutter up your place…what type of place have you got, anyway?” Spike asked

“You’ll soon find out…now you get dressed and I’ll bring the car around to the side exit else we’ll never got off the parking lot with the Paparazzi………”


Chapter End Notes:
Hope you are enjoying this still....