Chapter 17…………I Got You Babe…



Buffy woke. A shaft of sunlight beamed through the curtains where they didn’t quite meet at the top. She turned her head to look next to her and Spike wasn’t there.

She felt a quick lurch and then thought he might be in the bathroom and she listened, but couldn’t hear him. Worried she got out of bed and quickly slipping on her robe, she ran downstairs.

Spike looked up and grinned at her. He was wearing her towelling robe, and had a tray set with two plates, two coffee mugs, two knives, butter, honey, two glasses of orange juice and a cafetiere of coffee. There was also a single pink rose in a glass tumbler. He was just waiting for the toast to pop up.

“Hey! Oh you spoiled the surprise – I wanted to bring you breakfast in bed” Spike said smiling

The toast popped up and he quickly deposited two pieces onto each plate.

“Sorry – I just got scared when I woke to find you gone” Buffy said smiling – her heart melted.

“Back upstairs with you, go on!” Spike said picking up the tray. Buffy scooted and Spike came up carefully with the tray. Buffy was already sitting up in bed waiting for him.

“I’ve had to be incredibly nosy to find all this stuff, I hope you don’t mind” Spike said.

“Course not, it’s your home now too you know!!” He passed her the tray and got carefully into bed.

“Hmm, can’t remember the last time I had toast and honey – or breakfast in bed come to that!” Buffy said loading up a slice with the sweet golden treat.

After they’d eaten Spike put the tray on the dressing table and climbed back in to bed.

“You have me spoiled!” Buffy said,

“So…want to stay here, or come to work with me? – I’ll only be a couple of hours”

“Would you mind if I come with?”

“Course not! – And then we can go to your place and get some of your things, okay?”

Spike nodded and then he asked

“Have we got to get up yet?” Buffy looked at the clock, it was 7.55am

“Not for an hour yet, why what did you have in mind?” Spike grinned and leaned over and began to kiss her with mounting passion………


ooOOoo

“Ah Buffy, you’re here, good. We’ll have to do all the diner scenes this morning as Good Afternoon South are having somebody parachute in and they’ll be filming outside so it’ll be noisy – is everybody word perfect with their scripts?” Tara asked. Everybody nodded

“Good, we’ll start with Buffy reading ‘the Letter’ from Abe, so it’s Buffy, Red, Xandy and handy Andy, you can be eating – we could use Spike as an extra he could sit at one of the tables and read if you like – also we know nobody here gives a rat’s ass, but could you try and look a little upset over Abe’s letter Buffy?” Buffy nodded. Spike sat at one of the tables at the back with a coffee and a newspaper.

“And three, two, one and action Roll VT…”

Willow came from behind the counter and sat with Buffy at one of the tables, she was reading a letter and holding a bunch of keys.

“Hey, come on, you okay, I know it’s sad, but it’s for the best!” Red said

“I know…those poor animals, they were so sick!” Buffy said wiping away a tear. She couldn’t for the life of her cry over ‘Abe’.

“What does Abe say?” Willow asked

“Well, he says that all the pigs had to be slaughtered and aren’t fit for human consumption, and he can’t stand the thought of trying again – so he’s left for Idaho – he’s going to live with his aunt. She has a cattle ranch. Oh, and will I please drop the keys to the house in at the real estate office in town next time I go in” Buffy stuffed the letter back into the envelope.

“Well, it’s no good sitting around here moping, I’ve got things to do…Red, would you cover for me this afternoon, I’ll call Charity to come in early. I want to go into town give these keys in and do a little shopping” Buffy said. Willow was nodding and then she looked out of the diner window and stood up.

“Sure. Looks like the Mayor’s coming in, I’ll go start his breakfast”

“Check first what weight of ham steak he wants, there’s a choice now don’t forget!”

“Morning Ladies, how are you this fine morning?”

“Fine thanks Mayor Henry!” Buffy and Red chorused together.

“So usual? Willow asked smiling, holding the coffee jug over an extra large mug

“Please darlin’”

“Oh, we have a new pork products supplier now, you get a choice of weight for your ham steak, we do a half pound, a 12oz or a full 1lb weight” Red said smiling.

“Is that so little lady – well then, give the 12oz with two eggs sunny side up and some wheat toast”

“Coming right up!” Willow said and turned to the fridge.

“And cut!” Thanks folks…next up Handy Andy and Charity outside, Andy’s hosing own the truck…two minutes to VT folks” Warren called.

Buffy called Spike and they went back into the rehearsal room.

“I was thinking, how about if we go to Shell Island on Saturday, there’s something for everybody there and – Spike – baby are you alright? – Spike?”

“Hmm – oh…er yeah…I just” he was standing just inside the doorway.

“Oh god, sit down, don’t worry - what is it, headache? – Dizzy?” Buffy began whipping off her ‘costume’ and throwing them into her locker

“I’ll take you to the hospital, I’ll tell-” Buffy was standing on one leg putting on her driving shoes

“No, I’m okay, don’t worry…I kind of…did I hit somebody in here?” Spike asked, frowning

“What?” Buffy stood there, one shoe on and smiled

“Er…yeah, why?”

“I don’t know…it was weird, I could hear myself going bonkers, shouting, and then giving somebody a couple of punches in the face!” Spike looked at his knuckles, they were unmarked.

“Don’t worry about it Spike”

“Don’t worry about it – what kind of person does that make me if I go around hitting people – that can’t mean I’m a nice person!” Spike looked forlorn and sat down at one of the seats heavily and put his head in his hands.

“No, Spike really, you mustn’t worry!”

Willow came in and saw Buffy crouched trying to talk to Spike, who had his face in his hands.

Willow looked at Buffy and frowned, and gave a slight upward jerk of her head, as much as to ask,
‘what’s up’? Buffy explained,

“Spike just had a flashback of hitting somebody” Willow’s concern went and she smiled and said,

“Oh – well that’s good!” She sat at the same table as Spike, he was sitting sideways to the table. He raised his head and with a pained expression he looked at Willow and said,

“Good, what’s good about me hitting people, I must be some kind of monster!” Spike’s voice breaking

“Hey…he was a bad person…a really, REALLY bad person, he um, he tried to hurt us. Both of us” Buffy said.

Spike looked up and frowned, he asked

“He tried to hurt us, how?” He reached for Buffy’s hand. Buffy pulled up a chair and taking both his hands in hers she sat right next to Spike and said,

“The hospital didn’t want me to say anything to you yet, they’d rather you got stronger first”

“So you’re telling me that this, this person I hit, he put me in the hospital?”

Buffy nodded

“Is it this guy that used to play ‘Abe’, by any chance?” Spike asked, and reluctantly, Buffy nodded.

“I see…did he hurt you?” Spike asked

“No baby, he didn’t get the chance, but he hurt me by hurting you – now you mustn’t think about this anymore okay, you’ll give yourself a headache and we don’t want you to be back in hospital do we?” Buffy said gently cradling his head, and kissing the top of it.

Spike stood and so did Buffy, he wrapped his arms around her and just stood holding her. He then said quietly,

“If anybody hurt you I’d kill them”

“Shh, now…I know baby, I know… now just relax nobody’s going to hurt me” Buffy stroked down his back soothing him.

ooOOoo

“Right, is that it, that everything you want?” Buffy asked

“Think so…did you check there was nothing to spoil in the fridge?” Spike asked

“Only some bottles of beer!”

“Well I can’t have those anyway”

“Well you can, just not with the tablets, which you haven’t taken by the way” Buffy said

“Haven’t needed them! – Right then, Ford said he’ll come back with me one day next week to get the rest of my stuff and we can give the keys to this place back to my agent” Spike said

Spike picked up a small suitcase and his guitar, Buffy picked up a small case and a holdall.

“Right then, lets go home, it’s been a looooooong day!” Buffy said. Spike dead-locked the door to his flat and they left for Buffy’s house.

ooOOoo

Buffy had washed some salad, and had re-heated the fried chicken left-over from the night before. She’d baked a couple of potatoes and she could hear Spike strumming his guitar in the lounge.

“Spike, supper’s ready”

He appeared with a grin in the archway

“Hope you don’t mind the fried chicken again, but the rest of it is fresh” Buffy said pulling out a chair and sitting down.

“Hmm, smells good…” Spike sat opposite.

They ate and chatted, Spike said,

“Buffy. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure!”

“Don’t be mad at me”

“Course not!”

“We’re you Abe’s girlfriend, I mean the guy who played him?”

Buffy put down her knife and fork and wiped her mouth on a napkin and she reached over and placed her hand on top of his.

“Angel, that’s who played Abe, he had reality issues – he was confusing what was written for the show with real life. I went once to an award show thing with him, and on the ‘Red Carpet he held my hand and we had our photo taken, it was a good couple of years back now, Trav was up for a writers award, that’s Quentin Travers, the guy that used to write Wilson’s Mountain, and I was up for Best Daytime Soap actress or something, anyway Trav couldn’t make it, so he asked Angel to pick up the award for him if he won. In the show, there was a kind of ‘understanding’ between Buffy and Abe, but there was never any storyline to back up an engagement or anything, just occasionally an evening porch scene together. Anyway from that he took it as reality”

Spike nodded and then said,

“Go on”

“Go on what, there’s nothing more to tell”

“Sure there is, he obviously didn’t like me from the start, but from what I’ve watched of the show, there isn’t anything written about a romance for us either –so why did he act the way he did?”

Buffy grinned at him and said,

“Look…how about I get dessert and make coffee, and we can talk in comfort in the lounge, you’re obviously not going to let this go so you might as well know”

Spike stood and grinned, he said,

“I’ll do the coffee; I know where everything is now from this morning!”

ooOOoo


Roles were reversed from the previous evening, and it was Spike who had his head on Buffy’s thigh this time.

“………And so when he thought he’d been caught actually cutting the cable on CCTV, he confessed to it” Buffy concluded

“But have they got him on it?” Spike looked up at her.

“They’ve got him on CCTV on the lot, skulking around dressed in dark clothing, and walking to your bike, but not actually doing the deed; the angle was too sharp for the camera.”

“Could he get away with it do you think?” Spike asked. Buffy stroked her fingers through his hair and said,

“Don’t worry, I won’t let him hurt you again”

“I’m not worried about me, I’m worried if he comes after you, he sounds deranged”

“He will be locked up – I think the lawyer said they’re going to plea bargain or something, so he knows he’s got a custodial sentence coming up – now let’s change the subject please, I hate talking about him!”

“What’s the time?”

Buffy looked at her watch

“Nearly nine thirty”

“That late huh…don’t you think we ought to be in bed by now?” Buffy grinned and Spike sat up, she said,

“Come on then…fancy a bath first – bags you sit the plug end!”