Chapter 20 The Nominations are:

……………”Listen…listen everybody, we’ve had an official letter from What’s On/TV Weekly magazines, their readers have nominated us for certain categories! Our very own Buffy has been nominated as Best Soap Actress, not only that, we are nominated for Best Daytime soap, Spike’s been nominated as best newcomer, and Tara for best storyline writer!” The cast cheered. Then Warren continued,

“And not only that, were getting a new version of the signature tune, the Chick-a-Dee’s are recording it as we speak, and it’ll be used from the 12th of next month!”

Buffy hugged Spike and said,

“This’ll be so much fun; we can be together on the red carpet!” Spike grinned at her.

“Okay then people settle down now, there are a lot of extra’s in posing as fair people, just remember your lines and watch where you tread, I don’t want anybody tripping or falling – okay first scene today can I have Buffy, Spike, Charity, Suzie and Red – then we want officer Jones coming in, Buffy recruiting him on his day off – rolling in five everybody” Warren turned to Tara and said,

“Extra’s all up to speed?”

“Yeah, a couple will leave straight away, Charity will serve a table Suzie can clear a dirty table, Spike and Buffy cooking, Willow serving at the counter…the extras know what they’re doing” Tara said looking at her clip board.

“Good. Right places everybody, ready VT and roll in three, two, one, action!”

“Thank you Miss Buffy, that was delicious!” Two extra’s waved and left the busy looking diner.

“Bye now, you come back tomorrow now, d’hear!” Buffy said waving to them from behind the counter.

“Bless them, they’ve been coming here since before I was born!” Buffy said to Spike.

Spike turned and deposited two breakfasts on the serving counter and called out,

“Table 7 order up!” He turned back to Buffy and said,

“That’s nice - they’re from the fair I take it?”

“Uh huh…”

Charity appeared at the counter took the two breakfasts and ordered more toast and coffee for table 4.

“I’ll take this…I’m gonna need more help!” Buffy said taking a plate of toast and the coffee jug around the counter.

Red came to the counter began filling her serving tray with cutlery and sauces

“Order Spike!”

Spike turned and took the order, opened the fridge and took out ham steaks and sausages, set them on the hot-plate. Buffy came back to swap coffee jugs and make more.

More customers came and went, and Officer Jones walked in, in uniform.

“Did you know there’s a tailback to get into the county? – I think everybody’s heading here too!”

“You got a day off tomorrow Officer Jones?” Buffy asked making more coffee.

“Sure have Miss Buffy”

“Well consider yourself hired, you can wait tables or clean them, we’re SO busy!”

“Sure…I’ll be back later!” Officer Jones said

“Three large breakfasts, all with two eggs over easy, wheat toast, one with pancakes” Willow said, ripping the order off her pad. Spike plated up the previous orders and put more stuff onto cook.

The camera went from table to table where little snippets of conversation were heard, about the fair, the people, the traffic, and of course the everyday stuff Buffy had to deal with, orders and deliveries…

“And cut! Relax everybody – that was great, just fantastic, one brilliant long 15 minute take!” Warren said grinning from ear to ear.

ooOOoo

Spike yawned as he got into the car and buckled up.

“So where do these awards take place, do you know?” Buffy looked left as she pulled off the parking lot to drive to the security gate.

“Well, last time I went, they were in Las Vegas, but that was four years ago now”

“Vegas huh…it would be nice to see the place again! Last time I saw Las Vegas, there was this mad Pap, English bloke he was, mad as a bloody hatter, he used to lie in wait behind bushes and jump out at you…no wonder he had a boxers nose the amount of times he frightened the Bejesus outta some poor sod!” Buffy grinned and drove slowly through the gate when the barrier went up.

“Anyway, we were playing Cleopatra’s Palace, and this Pap, I think his name was Colin, he hid behind a pot plant and jumped out flashing away, well Stu had taking a tab and was tripping – he thought it was an alien or something wrestled this Paparazzi to the ground and was calling for Mulder and Scully as he’d caught an alien…mad bugger he was…once fell off the roof of the car trying to get a picture of us!”

Buffy smiled but concentrated on her driving. She glanced in her driving mirror a couple of times…she wasn’t sure if they were being followed………

ooOOoo

Following Day, Lunchtime the Rehearsal room………………


“And yours Buffy, Spike, Tara’s got hers…that ones mine…” Warren handed them the official tickets for the awards ceremony.

“Right quiet everybody…quiet please” Warren said clapping his hands

“Quiet, can I have your attention please (everybody shut up) right here we have, hot off the press, the new version of our signature tune.

He put the CD into the player, pressed play and turned up the volume.

Where before there had been almost mournful violins and a horn, there now was the rich sound of a steel guitar. The Chick-a-Dee’s, Award winning Southern Country Rock girl trio sang out

Come to Diner that’s on the ole’ Blue Ridge,
Come to the Diner, over the rickety bridge,
Where you’ll get a welcome and a friend right from the start,
Come to the Diner, the welcomes from the heart

On Wilson’s Mountain……oh yeah, they’ll look after you,
On Wilson’s Mountain…..oh yeah, that’s just what they do,

So come to the Diner they’re open night and day,
Come to the Diner, we hope you enjoyed your stay!

Every body was toe tapping and nodding their heads, there was a catchy electric violin solo in the middle and the second verse started back with the steel guitar,

There’s Timmy and Charity, Handy Andy too,
Xandy is a helpful lad and Red will wait on you,
Officer Jones, well he just keeps the law,
And Miss Buffy’s home-style cookin’ keeps the wolf right from your door!


On Wilson’s Mountain……oh yeah, they’ll look after you,
On Wilson’s Mountain…..oh yeah, that’s just what they do,
So come to the Diner, they’re open night and day,
Come to the Diner we hope you enjoyed your stay!
And one more time,
So come to the Diner, they’re open night and day,
Come to the diner, we hope you enjoyed your stayyyyyyyyyy!

Ford let out a “Yee –Haaa!” And everybody laughed, but admitted it was a hundred times better than the old drudge of a tune.

“We’re getting a proper video made, we need to have various shots of you when your name is mentioned in the song, going about your daily business and then looking up and smiling for the camera” Warren informed them.

“Ooh, very posh!” Spike said grinning.

“Warren, how are we getting to the awards?” Buffy asked

“Flying, will you be alright Spike?”

“I should think so, it isn’t as far as New York - I’ll ask the doctor just in case” Spike said, and then he continued,

“And where are we staying?”

“The Sheraton, six blocks away, you’ll have a limo to take you to the red carpet” Both Buffy and Spike smiled and nodded.

ooOOoo

“Willow, will you come shopping with me, I need to get something really slinky and sexy for this award ceremony”

“Sure, when?”

“Tuesday night, Spike’s going to Randall’s Sports Bar with Ford, Riley and a few others, they’re going to teach him the rules of American football, play pool, etc!”

“Yup, suits me fine!”

“I thought I’d try that new Mall over in Grovedale, I’ve been itching to get over there, there’s a Princess B’s Boudoir lingerie shop…thought I’d get some sexy undies too!”

“And who’s going to see those, as if I didn’t know!” Willow teased

ooOOoo

Tuesday night

Buffy swished back the curtain, and stood in front of Willow who was sitting on a chair outside the changing room

“There, what do you think…” She turned left, right and front ways, stood on tip-toe to mimic wearing high heels and piled her hair on top of her head.

“So you’re going to wear your hair up?” Willow asked.

“I thought so, why don’t you think I should?” Buffy let her arm fall and her hair tumbled back down around her shoulders

“On no – I mean yes, you should, I was just wondering, that’s all!”

“I was thinking in a soft French pleat, with tendrils around my face. So, what do you think about the dress?” Buffy asked swishing the dark blue satin

Willow looked a little pained and said,

“Hmm…it’s a bit too…bridesmaid-y? I really liked that second one you tried, the green one”

“The Grecian style one? – I wasn’t sure about the gold rope thing criss crossing my boobs and around my waist” Buffy said

“Ahem…may I suggest something?” the assistant asked.

“Sure, any suggestions would be welcome” Buffy answered nodding

“What is the dress for?” the assistant asked, and before Buffy could open her mouth, Willow said,

“Buffy’s up for Best Soap star in the What’s On/TV Weekly magazine Awards”

“Oh! I thought your face was familiar…I couldn’t place where I knew you from – well hold it right there, I think I have just the dress for you!” The assistant disappeared into the stockroom and came out with two dresses. One in cream, the other in black.

“Both the same style, try the black one first” the assistant handed Buffy the cellophane covered dress.

Buffy did as she was told! The dress was a balcony front, lightly gathered to an envelope point at the waist on the left, and then it fitted tight over the hips and then splayed out to floor-length. It had a little sequinned covered Shrug to go with it. The assistant zipped Buffy up and pulled back the curtain………

“Oh WOW Buffy, it looks like it was made for you, it fits beautifully!” Willow said.

“Hmm, I love it! How much is it?”

“$1800”

Buffy’s face fell. She’d max out on her credit card at $2000, and she wanted to get nice underwear and shoes too.

“Hmm…I think I’ll have to-“

“But as you are on one of my late, dear mother’s favourite shows, you can have it for $1200, what do you say?”

Buffy grinned and said,

“I’ll say I’ll take it!”

“I’ll go wrap it for you!” She took the dress and Buffy’s card and left Buffy to get dressed.

They left Gibson’s Gowns and went to a shoe shop next.

“Buffy look, just your size too, LesChoux, less than half price!” Willow handed Buffy the left shoe that was on show.

Buffy checked the size and tried the strappy heel on, it had a pretty diamante detailing on the strap that went across the base of the toes…

The assistant bought Buffy the other one and she walked up and down in them – they were fine, and only $140 instead of being over $400!

Next Buffy went to Princess B’s Boudoir and bought black stockings, a garter belt, and a very pretty shell peachy pink lace bra set.

They went to the Food court and had a coffee and a snack and then they went back to the car and home.

ooOOoo