Chapter 21


“Next Friday evening………no I haven’t, no headaches,………no, no I haven’t had to take any pain killers or sleeping tablets either, okay right thanks then doctor, bye” Spike ended his call and looked up at Buffy and said,

“Doc said as I’ve had no complications, I should be fine to fly to Vegas”

“Great!” Buffy said grinning, and then Spike said,

“What do think I should do, get a tux or shall I give the Armani suit another airing?”

“I’d LOVE to see you in a tux!” Buffy said excitedly.

“Rent or buy? – Oh heck I might as well buy one! I’ve seen a place on the net…Tuxedo Junction I’ll go look now” Spike went off to the computer and Buffy said she wanted to do some paperwork, to go through the extra fan mail she was getting lately.

ooOOoo

Sunday Morning (9.00am)

Spike was grumpy.

“We shouldn’t have to do this today – not on a Sunday!” he grouched as he got into the car.

“I know babe, I feel the same, but with us away next week there was no other day to shoot the opening credits video” Buffy said.

“I wanted us to have a leisurely breakfast in bed, a nice bath together, I was gonna cook you a fabulous lunch and then we could have vegged out in front of the TV watching old movies…”

“Sounds like heaven, still I suppose one consolation is that Warren said he’d buy us lunch!”

“Hmm, better not be a big old pile of gas station sandwiches either!”

ooOOoo

Everybody seemed to arrive at the same time, went into the rehearsal room to get changed and fell on the pile of plastic triangles that held sandwiches of various fillings.

“See, I told you he was a cheapskate – I’m not eating sandwiches for Sunday lunch!” Spike said, and then continued,

“What is there anyway Will?”

“Hmm…let me see…chicken and bacon…ham…spicy sausage…hello Warren I’m Jewish! – Ah, egg mayo, suppose that’ll have to do me” Willow said examining the filling

“There’s a cheese one here – oh but it’s got onion on it, is that okay?” Buffy said holding out the pack to Willow, she quickly ditched the egg mayo for the cheese.

Sandwiches were soon wolfed down, everybody moaning at having to come to work on a Sunday! But filming of the opening credits video soon got underway…


“………Ford you next, you Handy Andy, I want you both either side of Ford’s truck, with the hood open, both in muscle vests, and a smudge of oil on Ford’s face – get those muscles rippling boys, and Andy, get Andrew to tousle that hair of yours some more – get some gel in it…” Andy nodded and went off to make-up.

“What time are we on Warren?” Buffy asked

“No idea Buffy, we’ll do this, then Xandy sweeping up – he’s got to get back for church, his mother said, so I doubt if you’ll be this side of lunch” Warren said looking at the running order on his clip board.

“And what is for lunch?” Spike asked squinting up at Warren, his arm across his forehead shielding his eyes as the sun was directly above him, they were sitting outside on the grass as it was hot.

“Um…I bought you sandwiches” Warren said

“We ate those for breakfast – we want a decent lunch!”

“WARREN!!” Tara yelled from the diner entrance

“I’ve gotta go!” Warren looked up saw what looked like an irate Tara, and scooted off.

Buffy, Willow and Faith were sunbathing, Xandy was sitting with them playing a hand-held computer game, he was wearing the cap that Buffy and Spike had bought him in New York.

The Chick-a-Dee’s started up again so Warren could get the timing right…

“You know I DID like this song, but I bet by the end of the day today…” Faith said, and she sat up
putting her sunglasses on top of her head.

“I know what you mean, after the hundredth time it begins to pall…!” Riley said

Willow sat up and said,

“Anybody got any sun-cream, I can feel my face tingle”

“Hmm, and my shoulders are getting a bit red I’ll go see if Andrew in make-up has got anything” Willow stood and dusted off her bottom of dried grass.

“I might have something in the car – go look there first, it’s in the glove compartment” Buffy said, throwing Willow her car keys.

Five minutes later Willow was back with a tube of sun-cream and she gave Buffy back her car-keys.

“It wasn’t locked, but I locked it for you, and um…this was on the driver’s seat” She gave Buffy a rather wilted rose

“Wasn’t locked? – But I’m sure I – ugh!” She threw the rose away.

“Spike…Spike!” Buffy said urgently, he’d been dozing over a crossword.

“Hmm, whassamarra – huh?” he sat up and frowned at Buffy’s panic-face.

“What is it love?”

“I locked the car, tell me I locked the car when we got here!”

“You locked the car, why what’s up?”

“Are you sure I locked the car – but – oh God!”

“Buffy love what’s the matter?” Spike knelt in front of her and held her shoulders, he was getting worried now.

“Willow just went to get some sun-cream from the glove compartment, she said the car wasn’t locked”

“Well, it doesn’t really matter does it love, I don’t think anybody would steal it from here” Spike reasoned, but Buffy shook her head.

“”T’isn’t that…look what she found on the driver’s seat” Spike turned his head and looked behind him and saw the discarded rose. He frowned and turned and reached for it.

“Who in the…I’ll fucking KILL HIM!” Spike jumped up, Buffy quickly followed.

“Spike no – we don’t know who put it there!”

“Well who else huh? That sick bastard why can’t he leave you alone!” Spike shouted.

“Hey what’s going on, can you keep it down were just about to film!” Warren asked.

“Sorry Warren. Spike, come on babe, don’t get yourself worked up………we can ask security if he came on-site”

“I swear to…if he comes within a hundred yards of you I’m having the bastard, I’ll string him by the bollocks and make him eat his own dick if he so much as looks at you!” Spike was furious, his fists were clenched and he’d gone red.

“Alright love, don’t upset yourself…come and sit down, come on” Buffy soothed and Spike sat down again. He covered his face with the newspaper and fell back to sleep. About ten minutes later Xandy patted Buffy’s arm………

“Buffy…” Xandy said, looking really upset.

“Yes love?”

“Didn’t you like the rose, I thought you liked flowers, ladies like flowers?”

“Did you put the rose on my seat in the car Xandy?” Buffy asked

Xandy hesitated, then nodded and he said,

“Spike won’t be my friend anymore now” Xandy said sadly.

“Course he is Xandy, he just didn’t know who sent the rose, we thought it was from somebody else, somebody who tried to hurt Spike, that’s why he got upset.” Buffy explained. She took Xandy’s hand and squeezed it, and then she asked

“But how did you get into my car, I locked it, I know I did” Buffy asked.

“He gave me the key, when he gave me the rose to put on the seat – but I’m not supposed to tell you this, it’s a secret”

Buffy looked alarmed but tried to keep calm she said,

“Who gave you a key to my car Xandy”

“You’ll hate me, and not be my friend anymore…and…” Xandy started to cry. Buffy went and sat next to Xandy and put her arm around him.

“Now you know better than that, I love you like my brother on the show, I’ll always be your friend, now you know what your mom says, you must always tell the truth and shame the devil! Xander sniffed and nodded, Buffy continued,

“If you tell me I promise I’ll still be your friend”

“But…what’ll happen to my mom?”

“What do you mean love?”

“He said…he said if I told anyone, something bad will happen to my mom, he made me promise not to tell”

Buffy’s blood went cold, she hugged Xandy and said,

“Okay, I tell you what, I’ll say a name, and if it’s him who made you do this, just nod okay, then you haven’t said a word, you haven’t broken that promise, and nothing will happen to your mom, okay? Xandy nodded again

“Okay, right was it Angel?” Xandy hesitated for a second or too, and then he nodded

“Don’t you worry Xandy, you’ve done the right thing, and Spike and me are very proud of you okay – we’ll always be your friend and you’re not to worry about anything okay?” he nodded again and Buffy kissed his cheek and gave him a squeeze.

“Now you see if you can get a new high-score!” She handed him his computer game, smiled and hugged him again saying

“Love you Xandy”

“Love you Buffy!”

Unbeknown to Buffy, Spike wasn’t asleep, he had heard every word.

ooOOoo