Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like
Chapter 24 And the Winner is…




There were screams galore when they pulled up at the venue. Chopper was giving the ‘Royal Wave’ to people and he had his photo taken by the paparazzi too. The man that was introducing the arrivals, announced Buffy and Spike, and the crowd went wild, Buffy was dazzled for a few seconds by all the flash-photography.

They stepped out onto the red carpet, posed to the left and the right, and then began a slow walk down the huge crowds being kept back by barriers.

They signed autographs and touched hands, they even posed for a couple of ‘private’ photos on peoples phones. They eventually got inside the venue and had more photos taken against a backdrop that had ‘TV Weekly’ and ‘Whats On’ written all over it. Eventually they were shown to their table by a jacketed usher.

They were three to the right-hand side of the stage near the front. The event went ‘live’ inside at eight o’clock. On the table in front of them was their name on a place-card, and a gift package.

Buffy opened the shiny gold bag and found a copy of the magazines giving the awards, a nice pen in a box, a keyring, a bottle of ‘Huntress’ eau de toilette spray, a face-powder compact and lipstick holder with mirror, a miniature vodka, some dark mint chocolates and a leather diary.

“Ooh nice, pressies!” what have you got?” Buffy asked

In Spike’s Silver bag was the magazines and pen, keyring, a bottle of ‘Hunter’ aftershave, vodka miniature, some coffee chocolates, the diary but instead of the makeup mirror he had a tie pin and some golf tees and balls in a box.

“You’ll have to take up golf!” Buffy said laughing.

“No…I’m with whoever said golf was a good walk spoiled!” Spike whispered.

Buffy looked to the entrance and spied one of her soap ‘rivals’ coming in, she had on a very tight corset dress on in blood red, with black accessories, a little black fascinator with a feather feature and black lace fingerless gloves.

She waved over to Buffy, and Buffy smiled and waved back – but both were thinking ‘BITCH!’

“Who’s that?” Spike asked

“That, my darling is Cruella de Ville!”

“Who?” Spike asked again, grinning knowing Buffy was playing him up.

“Her real name is Consuela Dayville, but in the papers she’s know as Cruella De Ville! She’s from that modelling soap, ‘Project Runway’ set in a modelling agency” Buffy informed him.

“Never heard of it!”

“It’s on late, gets a bit racy at times, features dubious storylines about models and heroin chic and all that stuff about being a size Zero…it’s written by the ex-model India Bloomington. Anyway, I’m up against her for the same catagory”

Spike pulled a face, he wasn’t impressed. He looked at the card that was on the table, it gave the running order of awards. The two categories they were in were last. Well, Spike’s was Best newcomer, and then it was Best Actor/Actress.

Buffy leant across to Spike and said,

“See the guy with the beard and glasses two tables along”…Spike casually looked around and when he spotted him he said ‘yes’ discreetly, Buffy continued,

“The young boy sitting next to him, he’s fourteen, that’s one of the candidates against you”

“A child – oh well that’s it then! I think I can safely say goodbye to any award I thought I might get!”

“Don’t be so defeatist! He’s a brat in the soap – a troubled teen, so not everybody will have voted for him!” Buffy said

“Ah yes, but it’s not what he’s done, it’s how he’s acted it!”

“I know, but the public are fickle like that, half of them want to see him locked up in Juvenile Hall. It’s a soap set in a children’s home, it’s called ‘Who Will Be My Parents’!”

The room rapidly filled up and the compere for the evening, a comedian called Billy Sanchez took the microphone, and called for order. The place immediately went quiet and all eyes fixed on the stage.

“Ladies and gentleman, if you are lucky enough to be called onstage, will you please make for the RIGHT hand side of the stage, that is the RIGHT hand side of the stage. The left hand side has no access because of the camera men and the wiring for the sound system and the huge screen we have to watch clips of the nominations. We ask you to make your thank you’s and acceptance speeches brief, 90 seconds at the most, we WILL cut you off if you go over this time limit, and so I tell you now so as not to embarrass you while on stage. Thank you. We will be live in four minutes”

The six other places at the table where they sat were soon filled with people Buffy didn’t know, but they all said good evening and were friendly enough. The man opposite Spike, was disappointed with the watch he got in his Present bag, and said,


“Oh, I saw some got golf balls and tees…I could use those!” Spike piped up,

“Here you go my friend, I don’t play” And slid the set of golfing equipment across the white linen table cloth.

“Oh that’s so nice of you, thank you – here, have the watch from mine!” the man said and passed Spike the box. Spike grinned and said ‘thanks’.

Spike looked at it and said to Buffy,

“It’ll do for work – it’s nice!” Buffy grinned.

Champagne could be heard popping and waiters came around and filled glasses.

“One won’t hurt me” Spike said but he didn’t touch it straight away.

A voice came over the public address system and announced,

“Ladies and gentlemen, two minutes, that’s two minutes please” People dashed back from the rest rooms and took their seats. The lights dimmed and a voice counted…

“We are live in 5,4,3,2 and 1” Loud music was played and then gradually got softer and the announcer said:

“Good evening and Welcome to the 2009 Whats On and Television Weekly Magazine Awards. These awards have been voted for by you, the public, and we have a star studded programme for you tonight, so ladies and gentlemen will you please give a warm welcome to your host for this evening, Mr Billy Sanchez!” Everybody applauded and Billy grinned out at the audience and took the ‘mike’ from its stand.

“Okay folks, let’s get down to business! The nominations for best Cop show are:

Precinct 14………Diego and Moss………Special Forces Ops……and finally, Very Special Agent Springer and Co. Let’s take a look at a clip of each of those shows…”

Scenes of cop-car chases, people running after crooks, firing guns, buildings blowing up and cars slamming into one another were shown, and the last one, where a detective made blind on his regular job as a cop came back as a ‘blind’ detective with his dog, as he’s lost his sight, his other senses made up for it and he and the dog, ‘Hal’ always got their man! After the clips were shown, Billy opened the envelope and announced,

“And the winner is, Very Special Agent Springer and Co!” The lights went up and everybody saw a really blind actor take the arm of his helper, and holding onto the harness of his dog Hal, he made his way up the steps. After the clapping died down, the actor was given the microphone and he said,

“When this project was first put to me, I didn’t think it would work, but it has, thanks to my best friend and acting partner, Hal, thank you everybody, thank you to all those who voted for me, and Hal thanks you too!” he handed back the microphone and his helper took the award for him so he could concentrate of getting down the steps carefully with Hal and back to his seat whilst the audience clapped them again.

“Aww, wasn’t that nice!” Buffy whispered to Spike whilst clapping. Spike grinned and nodded.

The next category is, Best medical show, and the nominations will be read out by Dr Dennis Delaney!” he was an old actor from one of the longest running medical dramas on TV.

“The nominations are:

911 Emergency………St Francis Memorial………The Lancet………and finally Dr Crossland MD. The lights dimmed and clips were shown….

ooOOoo

“Nearly finished now ladies and gentlemen, I think you must agree, it’s been a fabulous evening so far…and the next category is Best Newcomer, and the nominations are:

Jordan Ray, playing troubled teen Zach Vincent in ‘Who Will Be My Parents?.........Larry Groves who plays Dr Leonard Johnson in 911 Emergency…William Giles who plays Spike in Wilson’s Mountain Diner………and finally Laura-Mae Jeffries who plays Lydia Croft in Fashion House…lets see a clip of them in action……………

“And the winner is, William Giles who plays Spike in Wilson’s Mountain Diner”

Buffy ‘yipped’ and beamed at him. Spike looked at her and she said,

“Well go on then!” Giving his shoulder a gentle push.

“Wha- what – me oh god I….!” Spike stood and the camera panned around to him – he looked bewildered and the audience were going wild, far more than for any other actor that night. He trotted up the steps and shook Billy’s hand, and was then given the statuette. He still looked slightly stunned.

“Popular choice!” Billy said grinning

Spike cleared his throat and the audience quietened, then he said quietly

“Um…I was SO sure they were going to call out somebody else’s name…er, seriously though, I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the most fantastic cast and crew I work with, Warren and Tara, Red, Xandy…but most of all Buffy, she’s looked after me from the beginning, and all through my recovery from my accident and well, I couldn’t have made it without her – this is for you babe, I love you”

He held out the award to her and the camera panned to her. Covering her mouth with her fingers at first, she then delicately tried to stop her make-up smudging as she cried a few tears. Spike got back to his seat and Buffy kissed him, whispered ‘I love you too’ and put her forehead on his shoulder. Billy took his place again and announced,

“And finally the two top awards we will do Best Actor first, and the nominations for Best Actor in a Soap Opera are:

Vikram Chaudry as Dr Sidhu Rhama in 911 Emergency………Chris Patterson as Deputy Paul Graham in Bear Creek, Steven St James as Father Doherty in Who Will Be My Parents, and finally Drew Longhorn as Sheriff Monahan in Bear Creek”………they watched a clip of each show.

“And the winner is Steven St James as Father Doherty………” the audience cheered and clapped as the actor went to get his award.

“And now ladies and gentlemen, the last presentation of the evening, best Actress in a Soap Opera. The nominations are:

Consuela Dayville, as Scheherazade De Montford in Project Runway, Elizabeth Summers as Buffy Wilson in Wilson’s Mountain Diner, Julie-Anne Law, as Sister Benedict in Who Will Be My Parents, and finally Rose Patrice as Sgt Danielle Delaney in Special Forces Ops……………

And the winner is - Elizabeth Summers for Wilson’s Mountain Diner!”

Buffy was stunned, her eyes went huge! The camera panned to the other nominees, Consuela’s face was as sour as a lemon’s, Rose Patrice clapped rather over enthusiastically, Julie-Anne Law was fiddling with her shoe and looked drunk as she poured more champagne, more over the table than her glass…

Buffy stood and made her way to the stage, she looked sensational, Billy Sanchez couldn’t take his eyes off her…Buffy reached for the mike and said,

“I’m stunned…that was some stiff competition, and all I can say is thank you to all who voted for me, the cast and crew are like family so they make working a pleasure, and best of all, My Spike, well, what can I tell you… he’s always a pleasure! …Thank you” Buffy made her way back to her seat Spike stood whilst still clapping, he grinned at her.

The audience clapped and she left the stage. Billy Sanchez wound up the show that still had ten minutes air time as everybody had done as they were told and kept speeches short. Outside the venue people were milling around, seemed everybody wanted to know if Buffy and Spike were ‘An Item’ together. One of the fashionista’s were telling the home audience who was wearing what, and they concluded that Buffy’s dress was Valentino – she didn’t correct them!

Consuela Dayville fixed a huge false smile on her face and said to Buffy acidly,

“Congrats Betty, I’ll beat you next time” Buffy turned and smiled sweetly and retorted,

“I’m sure you will, Cruella” The smile vanished from Consuela’s lips and everybody could see her knuckles going white holding onto her date’s arm.

“Fuckin’ bitch, BITCH!” Consuela seethed.

Spike put his arm around Buffy’s waist and led her to the other function room where they were to have dinner as the winners.

ooOOoo

After a sumptuous dinner of queen scallops on a bed of pui lentils in a Pernod jus, oriental style pan-fried duck breast with wild rice or herb crusted lamb with a selection of fresh vegetables and potatoes, then tropical fresh fruit salad and ice cream or chocolate gateau.

Over coffee Buffy got her phone out and called Red…

“Did you see us?”

“CONGRATULATIONS! Both of you! Oh Buffy – Spike said he loves you – on national TV!” Willow raved happily.

“I- I know…I’m shocked!” Buffy said grinning.

“Why, we can all see it, he absolutely adores you! Oh yes, and my dad is SO envious, how come you got Chopper Harris to chauffeur you to the venue? – Dad’s got all the Water-Cannon’s records…he’s loved them since he was at college!”

“Has he…I’ll tell Spike

Spike cocked a quizzical eyebrow at Buffy and Buffy said,

“Hold on, I’ll give you to Spike you tell him!”

Willow reiterated about her dad and Spike laughed and said,

“When we were starting out, we were the support act on their ‘Rags to Riches’ tour”

“That’s my dad’s favourite album…that and the Best of…although he used to play Diamond Geezers all the time…and Wet and Wild…oh and Live at Fillymore…Bed-Heads and Frog’s Legs…”

“He really IS a fan isn’t he!! I’ll tell Chopper!” Spike chuckled

“Oh dad would just die! Congratulations on the award by the way, you were the best!”

“Well I don’t know about that…but thanks!” Spike said

ooOOoo

“There he is, see him?” Spike said pointing Chopper out to Buffy when they came outside. He was parked up on the other side of the road, talking to an obviously female driver.

“Chatting up another poor, unsuspecting female!” Buffy said laughing, as Spike whistled and Chopper looked up. He waved, put out his cigarette and took his chauffeur hat from the driver’s seat, slapped it on his head and without opening the car door, just scissor-jumped in! He pulled the car around in a semi-circle and got out to open the door for Buffy.

Chopper asked them in for coffee and they went.

“I work with the daughter of one of your biggest fans!” Buffy said

“Is that right?” Chopper had a large Brandy instead of coffee, grinned and offered Spike a cigar, he declined.

Spike then told him what Willow had told him on the phone.

Chopper grinned and said,

“Who’s his daughter then?”

“Willow, she plays ‘Red’”

“Oh Red…very pretty too…”

“And too young for you!” Spike said with a slight warning in his voice!

“Oh I don’t know…if her dad already likes me…!” everybody grinned

“You are an incorrigible old reprobate!” Spike said

“Unfortunately that’s true too! So when are you two getting married?”

Spike went very red and Buffy said,

“Hang on! We’ve only been going out a couple of months!” Buffy said she could feel the colour creeping up her neck

“That’s nothing, I met and married my third wife in…9 days!” Chopper said. He blew smoke into the air and then grinned at them.

“Yeah…and if I remember correctly, that’s just about as long as the marriage lasted too!” Spike said laughing. Chopper laughed too and said,

“Ahh, you win some you loose some…that little mistake cost me $3 million!”

“Good grief – and you were only married for just over a week?” Buffy said looking shocked. Then chopper said,

“So, you gonna tell me about this accident of yours Spike…” They talked well into the night.

ooOOoo


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!