Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to David Cohen for the 'Jewish-isms!'
Chapter 28 Take these Chains….



Police Patrol Car, Revello Drive, two officers, Jon Alvarez, and Andy Kochinsky inside.........


“Jon…JON!” The officer patted his partner’s arm.

“Hmm – what?” The officer pulled out the ear-piece from listening to the ball game on his mobile phone.

“That scruffy blue van, that’s the second time I’ve seen it crawling up here tonight, do think it’s him checking up to see if this woman is home?”

“Lets take a look shall we – lets just put our lights on and start up…” Officer Alvarez did just that.

Angel was too busy craning his neck to see if there were any lights on in Buffy’s house to notice the patrol car at first, until the headlights dazzled him.

“S’him alright!” Kochinsky said.

Angel suddenly realising the police were onto him, he slammed the old van into reverse and began to haphazardly steer down the road, he was trying to look through the small back window, and look ahead to see what the police were doing, he clipped two cars, setting off alarms, and when he reached the bottom of the road, he pulled down hard right on the steering wheel and slammed it into second gear and roared off, leaving a cloud of grey smoke behind him.

“Here we go…won’t get far in that thing, looks like it’s already burning oil…you call it in Andy it’s a built up area, we might just need the chopper on this one to follow”

“ Car 679 to control, over”

“Control here, come back”

“We have a code V23 – van reported stolen earlier this evening, license plate SUM445678, the driver we believe to be one Angel Angelson, absconded from the Merrydale Accident hospital this afternoon.”

“Can you keep with him 679”

“Um, might be negative on that control, need back up as it’s a built up area, Chopper
might be good, over”

“Can you give me the location of the stolen vehicle, over”

“Vehicle heading west on Fairview…just passing Restful Pastures cemetery………ran stop sign at Heath Dean and Waterbury Heights………looks like he’s making for the freeway………yes, yes he’s making for the freeway, over”

“Keep with him 679, will have air-born back up with you 3 minutes, message ends 11.08pm”

“Thanks control, over”

“What’s he doing…he’s driving very erratically …the jerk’s all over the road……oh god, Jon mind that! SONOFABITCH!” The cop criss-crossed his arms across his face waiting for the impact that never came.

Desperate, Angel had fumbled in the back of the van for something to throw at the following police car, and had started to throw tools out whilst still trying to drive. He threw a heavy wrench that bounced off the hood of the police car, but luckily enough it didn’t hit the windscreen.

“You’ve had it now you jerk!”

“Seen whose ahead, just going to pull out in front of him? Jon said looking up to the next junction

“Who?” Andy asked not being able to see.

“That Det. Lindsey”

“Oh shit…he’ll want all the glory! And there’s the chopper…”

“He’s slowing down, quick, Jon pull across the road, he’s going to turn around and try and pass us the opposite way!” Andy said.

Andy did this and sure enough Angel practically did a hand-break turn and saw the cop car that had been following him, now virtually right in his path, he tried to swerve, But Andy stood in the road with his Sig trained at the windscreen. Angel stopped the van.

“Put your hands up!” Andy shouted. Jon too got out of the patrol car, knelt down behind the open door and trained his gun at Angel’s head.

“Keep your hands where I can see them…okay” Andy shouted. Angel had his hands up and Andy walked towards the van. He stood still when adjacent to the driver’s door, reached forward and opened it, and said,

“Slowly now…get out of the van, keep those hands where I can see them, no sudden moves or I will shoot you”

Angel turned slowly in his seat and keeping his hands up he got out of the van.

“On the floor, hands on your head, do it NOW!” Andy commanded.

Angel complied and Andy lowered his weapon, walked behind the now prone Angel; kicked his legs further apart, reached for his cuffs and pulling Angel’s arms down behind his back cuffed him. Jon came over helped Angel up and led him to the patrol car. The detective pulled up and smiled and said,

“Nice move…I’ll see you back at the precinct” And sped off. They saw the helicopter make a wide circle and head off in the opposite direction too.

Angel sat in the back of the police car, crying.

“Right what do you think you were doing you jerk!” Andy spat out at Angel, feeling no sympathy for him at all.

_____________________

Mr and Mrs Rosenberg’s House………

“No, that was Never on a Monday, the second hit they had from Diamond Geezers was Now is The Time” Ira Rosenberg said with authority.

“Was it? – you know I could have sworn it was Think Now, Pay Later” Spike said

“No, Think Now was issued as a double ‘A’ side with Lonely Night, it reached no.2 on the Billboard charts in September 1975” Ira said grinning. Spike thought for a second or two, grinned and said,

“Well, it was w-a-y before my time of course, but do you know, you’re right – haha – I stand corrected!” Spike said. Ira’s face beamed and he laughed saying,

“Can’t catch me out, I think I’ve forgotten more than I know about them!”

Mrs Rosenberg, having been upstairs for over an hour waiting for her husband to come to bed came into the lounge in hair curlers, a housecoat and face cream all over her face.

“Ira, are you coming to bed already – it’s gone midnight and I won’t get you up in the morning!”

“Oi Vey! She looks a fright in bed and she wonders why I don’t go up early!” Ira said grinning. He put his hands on his knees and stood up. Spike stood too.

“Well it’s been great talking to you Spike; you must come again and bring your young lady of course”

“I’d love that thanks, and thanks for tonight, it’s very kind of you!” Spike shook his hand, and Ira pulled him close still holding his hand and said,

“It’s nice to have male company for a change!” Spike grinned and nodded.

“IRA!” Bernice’s voice cut in from half way up the stairs.

“Just coming bubeleh, just coming! – Goodnight all”

“Night Mr, I mean goodnight Ira” Buffy said.

“Night dad” Willow said, Both girls sat up straight on the sofa, stretched and yawned, Willow switched off the TV with the remote control. Spike’s mobile trilled to say he’d got a text message.

“Oh they’ve caught him…I’ve got to phone the precinct”

“What now, why not wait until the morning?” Buffy said.

“No, I’m doing it now, that way I can have nice dreams of him being locked up!” Spike said scrolling for the Detective’s number.

Willow and Buffy smiled shaking their heads.

“Hot chocolate?” Willow asked, and Buffy nodded, Spike declined.

Willow got up and went into the kitchen, she said,

“Sorry about this, but Buffy is in my old room with me, and you’re in the guest room Spike, upstairs, the room straight opposite the bathroom, mom’s turned down the bed for you”

“That’s alright, we understand, and it is only for one night and it’s very kind of your parents Will! I’ll say goodnight then love, sleep tight, night Will!”

He leaned over and gave Buffy a kiss and went up. The girls stayed down and drank their hot chocolate.

___________________


“That’s Buffy, Spike, Faith and Xandy……the action starts outside with Xandy – remember Xandy, speak up – and Action! Scene 2 take 2 the clapperboard shut…

The scene had Xandy sweeping up outside the diner, when Babs drew up in her van.

“Morning there!” Babs called brightly

“Hello!”

“Is Miss Wilson around please – I’m from Hartley’s Hams, I’ve got a delivery for her”

“I’ll just go get her for you” Xandy said propping his broom against the wall.

“Buffy, delivery” Xandy called inside the diner. Buffy came outside and smiled.

“You’re Miss Wilson, Babs Hartley, pleased to meet you” The women shook hands and Buffy said,

“There’s no formality here, you must call me Buffy, everyone does!”

“Well then you must call me Babs!” Babs opened the back of the van and began to count boxes

“I have…14, yes fourteen boxes of the thick pork link sausages for you…6 boxes of the 8oz...and 10 boxes of the 1lb weight gammon steaks there are two dozen steaks in every box. 8 boxes of bacon, 20lb cooked sliced ham, plain, 10lb cooked sliced ham, smoked and 4 whole legs of pork with crackling”

Xandy took the boxes off Babs and walked into the diner with them. Spike came out and took a whole load more too.

“Hoo – it’s sure is hot out here when I close those refrigerator doors!” Babs said having slammed the van doors shut.

“Just made some fresh lemonade, come in and have a glass” Buffy said.

“Oh, sounds just the ticket, hold on, I’ll get the receipt book” Babs got the book from the passenger seat and went into the diner.

Further introductions were made and then Babs remembered she had a ‘special’ to offer Buffy.

“Take a pound sample pack, and if you like it, just add it onto the bottom of your order and quote Special offer whole boned Virginia ham – you’ll get a 20% discount on it”

“Why thank you!” Buffy said smiling.

“G’mornin’ Miss Buffy, how are you today? – Spike” Mayor Henry came into the diner with a big smile on his face.

“Hi there, your usual Mr Mayor?” Spike asked.

“Please son, add a tall OJ too, hot out there! And well – hello! And who might this be, I ask?” The mayor’s face positively lit up at the sight of Babs Hartley, and he quickly removed his hat.

“This is my new pork products supplier, Babs Hartley, Mayor Henry” The mayor took the lady’s hand and kissed the back of it, Babs blushed!

“Oh my, how gallant! Still, as much as I’d love to stay I have to get going I have another delivery to make (she drained her lemonade glass, and said) – bye now – lovely meeting you all!” Babs left, the Mayor watched her go.

“She sure looks one nice lady!” Mayor Henry said, and Buffy and Spike exchanged a look!

“And cut! Thanks everybody…next scene Handy Andy and…Charity…

__________________


“Wake –up your lawyer’s here” The sergeant down at the lock-up said.

Angel sat up, he felt lousy, every bone in his body ached. He’d also been chained; there was a three foot length of chain between his feet, and a four foot length that went up to the cuffs around his wrists. Waiting for the officer to leave, Wolf then rounded on Angel saying,

“What were you thinking? – Huh? You do realise you’ve added on at least another 15 years to any sentence the judge was originally was going to give you…you’ve added grand theft auto, criminal damage to two parked cars, criminal damage to a police car, endangering the lives of other road users, driving without due care…”

“I don’t care, my life is over anyway, without Buffy I’m nothing, Angel mumbled, then he continued,
How could she do this to me? Tell me, how could she just toss our relationship away for that, that THING! ARGH – I HATE HIM!!?”

“Calm down! You bought everything on yourself, my God, she couldn’t have made it clearer, any ‘relationship’ you had with her was totally in your head or written in a script!” Wolf said calmly.

Angel said through gritted teeth,

“It was real – it was real! REAL, REAL I TELL YOU!”

“Is everything okay?” the sergeant came to the cell door.

“Yes thanks officer” Wolf said

“Anyway…I don’t need you anymore, I’m sacking you” Angel said.

“Don’t be ridiculous man, you need me more than ever!” Wolf said, looking at Angel incredulously.

“No I don’t. I don’t need anybody – anybody except my Buffy that is – so you can go”

“Right, fine, I’ll send you my bill good day!” Wolf stood at the cell door and called out,

“Okay Officer…” The sergeant came and unlocked the cell door and let the lawyer out. Angel lay back down and cried himself to sleep.