Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to all those who keep reviewing, you're the reason I write!
Chapter 29 The Truth Will Out………


“All Rise for Judge Weedall”

Everybody in the court house stood. Judge Weedall came in dressed in his black gown and took his seat. The usher went up and spoke quietly to the judge, who looked up at Angel and then nodded.

Everybody sat, and the judge said,

“I understand that you’ve fired your council Mr Angelson” Angel nodded

“Stand up when you answer the Judge!” the usher said

Angel stood up and said,

“Er that is correct yes”

Beckoning him towards the bench, the judge said to him,

“I hope you know what you are doing, this isn’t some soap opera you’re in now you know, I won’t stand any nonsense, no ‘objections’ when you’ve no right to object, and if you’re told that something isn’t relevant or inadmissible, it’s just that, you do not cross question, any attempt of anything like that to gain an unfair advantage will be swiftly dealt with and I will see you charged with contempt of court, now do you still want to go it alone?” Angel thought for a moment and said,

“I’d just like to ask Buffy one question, that’s all”

“Okay then, you’ll get your chance – go back to your seat and wait until you are called” Angel did as he was told.

The judge then called Mr Farquhar up to the bench

“Angelson is going it alone, he says he just wants to ask your client one question, now I know she’s already been on the stand once, but if she’ll just indulge me and perhaps we might get this over with?”

“Yes, sir, I’ll just check with my client” Farquhar went over to Buffy, asked her if she minded Angel asking her one question, she said she didn’t mind at all, and stood up.

“Take the stand again Miss Summers, and thank you for this”

“That’s fine” Buffy said and took the stand

The usher put the bible on the stand in front of her and Buffy raised her one hand, the other on the bible.

“Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you god?”

“I do”

“Okay Mr Angelson, you can ask Miss Summers your question now”

“Um, right, thanks...er…Buffy, Miss Summers………oh God – Buffy, have you ever, ever at all, for even a day loved me?”

Buffy almost felt sorry for him, she didn’t snap, but she answered clear and strong

“I’m sorry Angel, no – you were a colleague, a work mate, another actor, and I supposed I liked you as a friend, like any other member of the cast, but I never loved you, I’ve never had those feelings for you at all”

Angel turned and nodded sadly, he faced the judge and said,

“Then you honour I’d like to change my plea to the stalking to guilty – I did it, I did everything she said I did” Spike’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

A ripple went around the court and the judge banged down his gavel.

“Silence in court!” the usher bellowed. The judge said,

“Well it’s not conventional but I thank you for saving the court’s time, Mr Farquhar, Mr Angelson, my chambers now, the rest of you, the jury is dismissed for this case, the rest of you can go home”

Buffy got down from the stand and went over to Spike. Farquhar made a gesture to Spike that he’d ring him and Spike nodded.

“Well! That was a turn-up for the books, as they say. Come on, let’s get out of here and go get some decent coffee – hmm?”

“Great, I’m right with you!”

_____________


Spike knew he wasn’t needed for filming that day, and Buffy only had two scenes to do, so Spike said he’d carry on home, there were one or two things he wanted to get on with. Buffy said she’d be home as soon as she could.

________________


“Oh Buffy – glad I caught you”

“Yes Joany – what can I do for you?!”

“Well, as you’ve all been so kind to me and welcoming and making me feel like one of the family, I’m having a barbeque at my house tomorrow night, would you like to come? – And Spike of course – everybody else is coming”

“Oh we’d LOVE to, thanks! Buffy said, and then she added,

“Can we bring anything, wine?”

“Just your good selves, and an appetite of course – you do both eat meat?”

“Sure do!”

“Good, here’s my address – shall we say 7.30pm?”

“We’ll be there!” Buffy slipped the card into her purse and went out to her car.

_______________


Spike sorted through the mail – there was one addressed to him that intrigued him, it was from Warmer Bros studios… Spike forced himself to keep calm, and make some fresh coffee. Buffy had phoned him, she would be 30 minutes, she wanted to pick something up for dinner that evening before she got home, and she also as told him about the barbecue, and Spike was eager to go Joany’s address was in Del Air, some exclusive fancy properties in that area, a favourite with actors who had ‘made it’.

Sitting at the breakfast counter with his coffee, Spike ripped open the Warmer Bros. Envelope.

It was in invite to go to a screen test for a movie about a rock star. If he was interested, he was to contact his agent. Spike picked up his mobile and scrolled down for Ethan’s number. It rang a few times, and then Spike heard,

“You have reached the office of Ethan Raine, if you’d like to leave you name and number after the tone, I’ll get back to you………BEEP”

“Hi Ethan, this is Spike here, could you –“

“SPIKE! Thanks for calling!”

“Hi – screening calls are we?”

“Er, yeah…not everyone is as lucky as you for getting work…”

Spike smiled and said,

“I’ve got a letter here from Warmer Bros Studios in LA – they want to know if I’ll go to a screen test” Spike informed him. Ethan sat up – this was serious business! The BIG time! He could, like Spike start to move up in the world…

“…………For me please, I’d be very grateful”

“Sorry what? – Missed that, could you repeat that?” Spike rolled his eyes and repeated,

“I said I’d like it if you could sort that out for me please, I’d be very grateful”

Ethan was again taken aback. Very Grateful? – Spike? – The usually foul-mouthed, gum-snapping, chain smoking, booze raddled Spike, ex of the Vampyres, now in a daytime soap Spike? Had somebody from planet manners beamed down and kidnapped him leaving this nice bloke in his place?

“Ethan…ETHAN – are you listening to me?”

“Hmm_ What oh yeah, yes, sure…hahaha, yeah…um sort it for you………sure…right, er sort what exactly?”

“Oh for fuck’s sake!” Spike rolled his eyes cussing.

Ahh, THERE was the Spike he knew, the one rapidly loosing patience.

“Have you got a woman there or something, you seem awfully distracted” Spike said with a grin.

“Woman? – No, no. Nothing like that. So Warmer Bros eh………I wonder why they wrote directly to you instead of via me?”

“Well probably coz they don’t know who my manager is…now THAT’S down to you to do your own publicity!” Spike said

“How about if I drop by?”

“When?”

“Later on, say 4.30pm?”

Spike thought, and said,

“Okay then you’re on…I’m at Buffy’s place, Revello Drive………okay see you then, bye”

Ethan felt positively shell-shocked when he put the phone down…either that bump on the noggin had done Spike more good than harm, or that girl he was living with must have a huge influence over him………

____________________

“Mmmmmmmmmmmwah!” Hello baby!” Spike met Buffy at the front door, kissed her and took the heavy bag she was carrying off her.

“Here, let me take that” Spike took the heavy paper carry sack off her and walked into the house. Buffy followed behind and then she closed the door.

“Looks good, got all the essentials here…” Spike said, as he looked at the contents. He carried the bag to the kitchen counter and put it down. He put the ice cream in the freezer, and the cold meats, cheese and chicken and a leg of lamb in the fridge, followed by the salad. Vegetables he put into the rack by the door.

“Oh before I forget, Joany’s invited us over for a Barbeque tomorrow night, I said we’d go, is that alright?”

Spike poured Buffy a coffee and said,

“At her place?”

“Uh huh!”

“Wow…!”

“I know, that’s what *I* thought!”

“I’ve got Ethan coming around here at about half past four”

“Oh?”

“There’s something I want him to sort out for me – look” Spike handed her the letter. Buffy took the envelope off Spike and opened it.

“A screen-test! Oh baby – that’s...that’s wonderful! Oh come here – you clever thing!” She hugged Spike but she had an alarm sound in her head – would this mean that Spike would leave her and go to LA for good?

Buffy looked through her mail Spike had sorted for her and selected one, ripped open the envelope.

“Carlton TV, they want me on their show, ‘Talking To’” Spike frowned and said,

“I don’t think I know that one”

“Well, it’s where the guest talks to the host about their life, they do allsorts of people, not just actors and actresses, but people like doctors, philosophers, they say here that the next six guests could possibly be Allan Jefferson the astronaut, Digby Moran, the guy who treks through the jungles doing those survival programmes, Diana Snikkert, the shoe designer, Peter Aronowich the senator who survived been blown up, me, and Francine Du..hold on Dupremont is it? – Never heard of her, anyway she helped hundreds of people escape the Nazi’s during the Second World War. And they want boring little old me?” Buffy looked surprised.

“You’re not boring!” Spike said indignantly

“Compared to those people I am! – Saving hundreds of lives, trekking through the jungles of Africa! Walking on the moon! What do I do? Puddle around on a little soap-opera set in the back of beyond…no, I shall tell them no”

“But –“

“No but’s Spike, that’s final”

Spike shrugged and said ‘okay’.

_____________________


Buffy went upstairs when Ethan came around. Spike thought she seemed a little ‘off’, but put it down to stress and her being tired.

“I’ve looked at this screen-test Spike, they’ve asked at least 50 others to go to, not all of them actors.”

“Oh. I thought it was too good to be true – well, never mind”

“Do you still want to go?”

“Nah…not bothered. Warren said they have no problem extending my contract as I’m one of the main characters now, so that’ll do for me”

“Right then… um…would you and your young lady fancy going on Rock-Quiz?” Ethan asked

“Um…I don’t know…er can I get back to you on that?”

“Sure – just give me a ring – in fact here, I’ll give you my mobile number – DON’T get giving this out, it’s only for a very selected few”

Spike’s eyebrows rose and he smiled, taking a card off Ethan.

“Right then I’ll ring you, bye Ethan”

Ethan left, and Spike locked the door, then ran up the stairs.

He glanced into their room and saw Buffy lying on the bed, her back to the door, foetal position.

“Buffy” he whispered quietly at the doorway

“I’m not asleep”

Spike went into the room and sat on the bed.

“You alright love?”

“Yes. When is this screen-test of yours then?”

“Oh that, I’m not doing it”

“You’re not- but why not?” Inside Buffy was turning cartwheels.

“Well Ethan said they’ve asked 50 others to it, not all actors – so I can’t be bothered.”

Buffy sat up and put her arms around Spike’s neck and said,

“I’m being selfish, and I hate myself for it, but…”

“Selfish? How? – You’re the most un-selfish person I know!”

“Well…I was worried that, well, if you went to LA…you’d forget all about me”

“What? Silly girl – I love you Buffy, you’ve done SO much for me, and I’ll never be able to repay you for the kindness you’ve shown me”

“But I do it coz I love you – not out of duty!”

“Come here…that’s better” Spike lay down and put an arm around her cuddling her up to him.

“I’m not going anywhere okay, and if I do ever get offered anything big, then I want you with me, understand?” Buffy smiled and nodded.

“Oh, and Ethan asked me if we want to do Rock-Quiz – you know that late night music show quiz that gets a bit naughty sometimes – I said I’d ask you first before I committed myself”

“When is it?”

“Don’t actually know that pet – we’ll just have to find out”

“Okay then, it’ll be fun”

“Great, I’ll phone him later and tell him!”

________________


“You’re kidding – well that IS good news, yes I’ll tell her, thanks Mr Farquhar…okay then, bye. Buffy, Darling…Buf – oh there you are – great news!” Buffy came into the kitchen where Spike was cooking dinner

“What’s that?”

“Angel got 40 years, eligible for parole in 25 – so he’ll be in prison for at least 25 years!”

“Oh god, that’s brilliant – I was worried he’d get some paltry 10 years or something”

“I think he got that for lobbing a monkey wrench at the cops whilst driving along the freeway!”

“Did I understand that? Lobbing – monkey wrench?” Buffy asked quizzically.

“Lobbing means throwing and a monkey wrench is a large heavy tool for undoing nuts and bolts and stuff”

“Well, it undid that nut then!” Buffy said grinning.

“Oh haha-de-haha, go back and sit down, dinner’s in ten minutes!”

“Good, I’m starving…..!”


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!! - Please?