Chapter 31 – Back to Work





Nine O’clock in the morning, Wilson’s Diner Set Rehearsal room…………

“Tonight, well I’d love to, what about you Ford?” Willow said, looking at her friend.

“Uh huh, count me in too!” Ford nodded in agreement.

“Great, see you both at – say seven?” Spike said

“Sure!”

Spike went over to where Buffy was reading through her lines and he said smiling,

“They said they’d love to come to dinner tonight, so when we get home, I’ll make a lasagne” Buffy nodded and smiled too. Warren breezed in clapping his hands to get some quiet…

“Okay folks – let’s have a bit of hush now please…Right running order for today, it’s a bit ass about because they’re starting a new cop show and they want to film the opening credits so we’ve got our outside filming curtailed for the next two days” Warren said

There were a few grumbles, but Tara piped up,

“Better that than calling you in a 6am, I’m sure!” The grumblers soon shut up!

“First off, we need Buffy driving off in her car, and then arriving back” Warren said

“Is that it?” Buffy asked

“Yup, the dialogue with that goes off in the diner, but like I said, we’ve got to get all the outside stuff done this morning”

“Oh right” Buffy said

“Then we’ll do Handy Andy arriving in his van, getting out, coming into the diner and then leaving again, and also the same for Officer Jones. Now Buffy you leave with your purse, and arrive back with a file full of papers, they’ll be on your back seat ready for you, Andy bring in and take out your tool box, and Officer Jones brings in and leaves some papers for Buffy – okay folks, shouldn’t take above half an hour…”


___________________


“Okay folks, we’ll just do this last scene, then we can have coffee – this scene ties up to Buffy leaving, which we’ve already filmed. Buffy making a call to her lawyer about the land the developer wants to buy – ready in two folks………

“Scene 3, take one – and action!”

“Thank you Mr Vernon, can you do me some copies of the land deeds…uh huh, and a copy of my fathers purchase…oh, and do you think I ought to have a copy of his Will, just to prove I AM the now owner? – Right, I’ll be over in an hour or so, would that be convenient for you – it would, well thank you again and I’ll see you shortly, bye”

Buffy left the privacy of the dry stock room and went into the diner.

“I’ve got to go into town, get some paperwork on the land I own, will you two manage?” Willow and Spike assured her they would.

“You can always get Xandy to do the clearing of tables and washing up if it gets too busy – what’s the special today Spike, I forgot to ask!”

“Pork chops with a cider-apple sauce, mashed potatoes and greens, or a deep dish chicken and ham pie with fries”

“Ooo, save me some of that – I won’t be long, bye!” Buffy walked just outside the diner and Warren called ‘Cut’ Coffee folks.

_________________


They got home and Buffy went straight for a shower while Spike went straight into the kitchen to start dinner. He worked cleanly and methodically, he’d got something on his mind, and it helped him to think while he cooked……

Spike fried a large diced onion and two fat cloves of crushed garlic, and some sliced mushrooms in a little olive oil and butter, seasoning them with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and when cooked he drained them on kitchen paper. Wiping out the pan he ‘dry cooked’ the hamburger meat until it was brown, drained off the little fat there was, added the onion mixture to it, and a large jar of ready-made tomato sauce with extra mushrooms. He tore fresh basil leaves and added some oregano too, tasted it, added more seasoning and then set about making a velvety smooth béchamel sauce. Taking out the no-pre-cooking required pasta sheets, he layered sauces and pasta, finishing off with a nice deep layer of béchamel, and sprinkled with a thick layer of his own mix of four cheeses. He put it in the pre-heated oven and then set about making garlic bread with a French stick, cutting it almost through at an angle in one inch intervals, then spreading with garlic and parsley butter. Pressing the cuts closed he wrapped the bread in kitchen foil to go in the oven for the last 15 minutes of cooking time. Next he washed salad, put it in bowl, made a vinaigrette dressing and set the dining table. Starters and pudding were already sorted he’d got a couple of nice bottles of Chardonnay chilling, and a couple of Merlot on the side, one opened to ‘breathe’ if anybody wanted red. By the time he’s finished, his plan was all clear in his mind, and he’d remembered all that he needed to.

Buffy sat at the breakfast counter and watched Spike work. She didn’t talk, didn’t want to interrupt his train of thought, but her mouth was watering at the smell of the lasagne!

Spike closed the refrigerator door and stood opposite Buffy, his hands set wide apart and he gripped the counter, leaned forward and placed a kiss on her nose. Buffy smiled and offered her pursed lips, which he then kissed too!

“So…what’s for pudding?” Buffy asked

“Got that tub of tropical fruit salad we bought at the supermarket, and various ice-creams, sauces, chopped nuts, chocolate flakes, wafer biscuits, what have you”

“Oooo yummy – can’t wait, what time they coming?”

Spike looked at his watch and said,

“In a bout ¾ of an hour – just time for me to go shower”

___________________


Spike trotted downstairs wearing black pants and a black roll-neck sweater.

“I’ve put out some Bread-sticks, olives and peanuts for us to nibble on, and I’ve made sure there’s loads of ice, and I’ve got some Dr Pepper’s in the fridge for Ford, just in case”

“Great!” Spike said

“So…did you get thinking thunked?” Buffy asked with a giggle. Spike caught her around the waist and she cuddled into him, tucking her head under his chin.

“Well I hope so, all depends on what Warren says tomorrow” Spike said mysteriously.

“What are you planning?” Buffy frown/smiled and leaned out of Spike’s embrace to look at his face.

DING DONG!

Spike grinned, snatched a quick kiss and said,

“Ah! Saved by the bell!” Buffy rolled her eyes and went to let her guests in.

__________________________


“Willow, red or white?” Spike asked holding up both bottles

“Erm, red please” Spike poured her a glass of the rich robust merlot, and asked Buffy

“I think I’ll try the red for a change too” Spike filled her glass also.

“Ford, what can I get you?”

“Actually, can I have a glass of white, my brother said he’d come over and pick us up if I wanted a drink”

“Sure – here you go…it’s rather a good drop too, a nice home grown Chardonnay, and I’ll join you, just the one though for me” Spike poured the wine for Ford and himself.

They had avocado with shrimp to start, Spike made sure that Willow could eat them, and she assured him that she didn’t follow a traditional Jewish diet, unless at home. Elsewhere she ate ham, pork, sausages, seafood all manner of stuff she shouldn’t!

________________________


………”so Walter’ emerged, covered in pond weed, slime, dead frogs and all sorts,
but he got his Carp!” Spike said.

“EW! So then what happened?” Willow asked. Spike shrugged smiling and said,

“Well after that dad said if the heron weren’t taking the Koi carp, then the staff were going for impromptu dips taking them, the local cats already thought the pond as a branch of ‘Yo, Sushi’ just for them, so he’d save money and just fill the pond in !!”

“All that because you had a Swedish guest who liked carp? – Well!” Willow said laughing. She finished her coffee and stood up saying,

“Excuse me” She left the room and Ford said to them

“When is it Willow’s birthday?”

“Erm…28th of next month, why?” Buffy asked, re-filling her wine glass.

“I wanted to do something special for her, you know REALLY special” Both Buffy and Spike grinned

“Take her somewhere really nice” Buffy suggested

“Yeah, but where?” Ford asked pained faced, he was picking at the seam of his pants.

“New York, I know she’s always wanted to go, and she went on and on when we went last month” Buffy said

“Hmm, but that all depends on filming doesn’t it?” Ford said

“Suppose – schtum – she’s coming back!” Buffy said putting a finger to her lips

_______________________



Following day at the Studios……………


“Well we do have a hiatus over Thanksgiving, plus this year there’s the sports extravaganza on for over three days, so we could see ourselves having a week off, would that help?” Warren asked

“Absolutely perfect!” Spike said with glee and rubbed his hands.

Spike walked into the rehearsal room to find Buffy sneezing (again) she’d started in the bathroom that morning, and her voice was cracked and gravely.

“How do you feel baby?” Spike put his hand on Buffy’s forehead, she felt hot.

“Lousy…I think I got a cold coming on”

“Poor baby, we won’t be long home and you can go straight to bed” Spike said, and Buffy didn’t argue.

____________________


“Scene 11 take 1 – And action!” Warren said

Buffy sighed and looked over the sheaf of papers she had spread out over one of the diner tables.

“Well, sorry Mr Construction man, but you’re not having any of it, and that’s final!”

Willow came over and sat down briefly from clearing tables and asked,

“Do you think he’ll get nasty about it?” Buffy looked up and said,

“I’ve no doubt about it!”

“Buffy, your pork order’s arrived” Spike said from behind the counter.

Babs came in looking serious faced, holding a letter.

“Buffy…is this true?” She handed Buffy the letter she was holding. Buffy quickly scanned the letter.

“Why the cheeky – oh! He really is the absolute LIMIT!”

“Who?” Spike and Willow chorused together

“This Gus Leedermann! He’s only gone and told Babs here he’s buying my land, and he hopes that she’ll do the same!”

Babs put her hand on her chest and said,

“So it’s not true then?”

“It most certainly isn’t true! He might WANT to buy it, but there’s absolutely NO WAY I’m selling it!” Buffy said indignantly.

“Oh thank the good Lord for that! – I thought I’d loose my business!”

“Don’t you worry, I’m contacting my lawyer this afternoon, to tell him the land is not for sale at ANY price, and that is an end to the matter!”

“Oh Buffy, you don’t know how good that sounds to me!” Babs said looking much relieved.

“And Cut! Thanks folks, that’s it for today” Tara said, and everyone left the studio.