Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to David Cohen for the Jewish references/menu items
Chapter 33


Spike’s eyes nearly popped at the Rosenberg’s dining table set for breakfast – he knew this wasn’t an everyday occurrence!

“Sit, sit, tea or coffee?” Mrs Rosenberg asked Spike as he sat down.

“Er coffee please, really Mrs Rosenberg, you shouldn’t have gone to all this trouble, you must have been up all night making all this!”

“No…it’s my pleasure!” She disappeared into the kitchen.

“Hmm, bubeleh, something smells good!” Ira said coming down the stairs. His eyes to lit up at the spread on the dining table.

“Hmm, try one of these Spike, they’re called Blintzes, they’re pancakes filled with cheese, that is Chakchouka, eggs with peppers and tomatoes, and those are Matzo –Bre – like eggy bread, but with Matzo bread and cinnamon and brown sugar!”

“Wow – I don’t know where to start!” Spike said.

Mrs Rosenberg still hadn’t finished bringing in food, she put an Israeli salad on the table and some pitta bread and dips, and lox and bagels.

“I’m so glad you came!” Ira said, and he was just going to help himself to another pancake, when Bernice slapped his hand away.

“Guests first, and think of your digestion Ira!”

“But Bubeleh, you tease me with all this!”

“Have some salad!” She suggested with a smile.

Ira helped himself to the tomato, cucumber and onion salad, AND a bagel with lox and cream cheese!

Spike wondered how he was going to eat all that she’d put out, when Bernice read his mind and said,

“What you don’t want now, I’ll pack for you to take into work!!”

“I don’t want to put you to any trouble Mrs Rosenberg, really!”

“No trouble – and I’ve told you, call me Bernice!”

“Do I get some to take too?” Ira asked with a smile.

“You can take the salad and dips!

“Bubeleh – you’re cruel!” Ira said, but with a smile, he knew she was teasing. She smiled and winked at Spike.

__________________


Spike arrived at Buffy’s place with a carrier sack of food…

He put it down on the breakfast counter and hugged Buffy, who just kept on saying

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry for being a bitch to you, you don’t deserve it, I’m s-“

“Shh now…all gone and forgotten hmm – and we won’t read the papers, and we’ll ignore comments, okay?” Spike said his forehead against hers. Buffy nodded and said,

“I missed you so much last night, I was scared when I got out of the bath, you’d gone and I didn’t know where, and I - oh god it was awful!”

Spike caught her mouth in a searing, toe-curling kiss and Buffy felt all the tension in her body just melt away, she sagged in his arms feeling boneless!

“Come on, sit down, I bring breakfast, where’s Will?”

“Still upstairs, I told her I’d give her a call when it was ‘safe’ to come down, didn’t want her telling us to get a room or throw a bucket of water over us!!”

Spike grinned and went to the bottom of the stairs and called,

“Willow – bubeleh, I have Blintzes, and um…Matzo-bre and er….Chaka Khans!”

Willow grinning, came down the stairs and said,

“Chaka –what’s?

“Sorry, eggs and peppers and tomatoes”

Willow raised her brows still grinning and said,

“Oh, you mean chakchouka!”

“Yeah that…and um lox and bagels…pitta bread, dips…Israeli salad!”

“Golly she DID push the boat out – did dad gorge on the blintzes?” Willow asked.

“Um, he tried, but your mum slapped his hand away!” Spike said grinning

“He gets heartburn – indigestion terribly badly when he eats those, but he can’t resist!” Buffy had it laid out on the breakfast bar when they came in into the kitchen

“Want some Spike?” Buffy asked

“Er no thanks, I’ve already had thirds earlier!”

“Ooh look, my favourite!” Willow said, helping herself to a bagel with the smoked cured salmon and cream cheese.


___________________


There was much relief all round when everybody saw that Buffy and Spike were back together as normal when they got into the studios, and working hard, they got a lot of filming done that morning.

“Okay folks, lunch break, back for 1.30 please” Warren said. It was now 12.10

“Coming for lunch?” Buffy asked

“Er no, I’m still full from breakfast!” Spike said holding his stomach with both hands!

“That’s my mother for you!” Willow said.

Warren came into the rehearsal room and called Spike over.

“What you were asking me, about time off – well seems like we’re going to do two one hour specials, then be off air for four days over Thanksgiving, then they’ll be showing the Sports show, showing who’s going to the Olympics over three days, so that means a total of one whole week off”

“Hmm…not really enough”

“No – why where are you thinking of going?”

“I wanted to take Buffy to see the old ancestral pile in England, I was hoping for at least a week there, and a day either side for travelling”

“Hmm, well I’ll see what we can do, but I’m not promising”

“Thanks Warren, I do appreciate it”

“Everything okay?” Buffy asked. Spike smiled mysteriously and said,

“Well hopefully, but I can’t tell you yet, it’s a surprise!” Buffy grinned and said,

“Surprise?”

“Uh huh!”

“Tell me!”

“Er, no. What part of ‘it’s a surprise’ don’t you get?” Spike asked, and Buffy began to tickle him.

“No, no! Not telling you – Will – Willow help me!” Spike called out trying to stop her tickling fingers

“Okay, tell Willow then!” Buffy said letting up

“But she’ll tell you!”

“No I wouldn’t!” Willow said grinning

“Yes you would!”

“Okay I would…!” Willow said

___________________


“Scene 18 take 1, Buffy confronts Gus Leedermann, and Action!” Tara shut the clapperboard and the camera was first trained on some drawings and maps on the diner table, and then panned up to Buffy and Gus.

“Well I’m sorry Mr Leedermann, but you’ve had a wasted journey, that land is not for sale” Buffy said matter-of-factly.

“Well I’ll tell you what little lady, how about if I up the price huh, is that what you want? – I mean I’m being a fool to myself, it’s only scrub land, nothing grows on it ‘cept cactus and tumbleweeds…Can’t see why you want to hold onto it quite frankly…but look, and this is my final offer mind, I might just come to my senses again tomorrow and go back to the original offer of $70 an acre – Look, I’ll give you $120 an acre, it’s not worth it, but if it gives you some satisfaction to get more out of me then –“ Buffy stood up and very annoyed said,

“MR LEEDERMANN! First off, I don’t appreciate you calling me ‘Little Lady’, secondly, what part of ‘the land isn’t for sale’ don’t you understand? (That bit wasn’t scripted, but Buffy remember it from what Spike had said to her earlier about the surprise, and she liked it!) – You could offer me a million dollars an acre, and I still wouldn’t sell it to you, so would you please take your offers, comments, plans and drawings, maps and other bits and pieces and kindly leave my diner, it’ll soon be lunchtime and we’ll be busy”

Buffy then left the table and went behind the counter helping Willow and Spike to prepare for the lunch-time rush. Gus Leedermann collected up his plans, maps and proposals and shoved them back into his briefcase and went to the diner doors, he turned and said,

“You haven’t heard the last of this! I want that land and I WILL get it! You’re going to wish that you’d taken this good price while I was still feeling charitable!” Spike came from behind the counter and said with a hint of menace,

“You leave now like Miss Wilson here told you, while *I* still feel charitable towards you!”

Leedermann fumbled for the door and left quickly.

“And good riddance to bad garbage!” Willow called out

“And cut! Cut to camera Two outside…Warren called the camera panned from the diner doors to follow Leedermann trotting to his car…

Outside Leedermann got to his car, threw his case on the passenger seat and took out his cell-phone and made a call saying,

“Rickman –it’s Gus…no, she won’t budge. I want a geological survey done of that land, there’s something she’s hiding – I don’t know, that’s why I want the survey doing, could be gold, oil, anything, but there MUST be something there or else why wouldn’t she sell?..........$120 an acre….yes I know it’s not worth that just for scrub – land…why do you think I want the survey doing?....don’t argue with me and don’t tell me you can’t do it, else I’ll find somebody who can!” Leedermann ended the call, got into his car muttering something about being surrounded by idiots and drove off in a cloud of dust…

“And cut! That’s a wrap, great all round folks, thanks – tea break, back in half an hour – Tara can I have a word please!” Warren said.

_________________


“A party? – When?” Buffy asked

“Shh…I want it to be a surprise!” Ford said, looking over towards where Willow as sitting on her trailer steps, reading her script for the following day. Luckily she hadn’t heard Buffy and was still engrossed in what she was reading.

“Sorry – when, where?”

“That’s just it – we only have the Friday night, that’s the day before, her parents have got plans for her actual birthday the next day, both the day and night”

“Oh that’s a shame…But hey Friday nights are good, no work the next day for one, so we could have a late night” Buffy said quietly

“Yeah…I know, but I wanted to do something out of the ordinary, something completely different” Buffy grinned and said,

“You really like her don’t you!”

Ford went very red around his ears and he nodded, Buffy thought it adorable!

“Well it’s still two weeks away, I’ll get my thinking cap on” Buffy said

“Good, let me know as soon as…but um…I hate to sound like a cheap-skate, but not too expensive, I’ve just had to renew the lease on my flat – it’s doubled since the last time and I let it go coz I thought I was leaving”

“Don’t worry, we’ll come up with something!” Buffy said patting Ford’s arm.

_____________________


“ Okay folks…we need Buffy for this scene on the phone to her solicitor, then next up after that we want Spike, Red and Ford discussing the menu’s and last nights ball game while cashing up and cleaning the diner at close. Ready in two please folks………Warren said

____________________


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think - please!!