Chapter 35 Happy Birthday, That’s elementary, My Dear!


“Hello Mrs Rosenberg, Mr Rosenberg – is Willow ready?” Ford was ushered into the hallway.

“She’s just coming…you look very smart going somewhere nice?” Bernice asked smiling. Willow was just coming down stairs, fixing in her earrings. She was wearing a beautiful dark green silk dress and had clipped her hair back at the sides with diamante combs, she looked really lovely.

“Er…it’s a surprise – she can tell you all about it tomorrow!” Ford said mysteriously.

“Well enjoy yourselves”

“Willow, you look – stunning!” Ford said. Willow greeted him with a big grin and he held out the present.

“Um…Happy Birthday – I know it’s tomorrow but, well I thought you might want it early…”

“Oh yes - She took the beautifully packaged box from Ford and tore off the ribbon bow and the gold paper. Slipping the box out of the velveteen bag Bernice saw it was from her favourite jewellers.

Willow opened the box and saw the pretty necklace of first gold filigree, and then a single emerald set on a twist of plain gold.

“OH FORD! It’s beautiful”

“Let me see!” Bernice said looking over her daughters shoulder.

“Oh that is very nice!”

“Help me put it on; it’ll go fantastically with this dress!” Ford did the clasp up and Willow admired it in the hall mirror. Ford caught sight of his watch and said,

“Erm, we better get a move on!”

“Right – bye mom, dad!”

“Bye Bubeleh, have fun!”

_____________________


Buffy Spike and Rupert arrived at Joany’s house, and the host was just greeting Tara and Warren. Rupert hid by the wisteria covered wall and Buffy went in first, she said to Joany…

“There’s a strange looking man outside, I think you better come and look!” Joany frowned and followed Buffy out through the patio doors.

She saw the back of a tall man, dressed in a tweed cape…

“Er, excuse me” Joany started and Rupert spun round he had a large meerschaum pipe in his mouth, a deer-stalker hat on his head, and was carrying a large magnifying glass.

“Ahh, my dear lady, pleased to make your acquaintance, I’m Sherlock Holmes!”

Joany shrieked with laughter and put her hands to her mouth when she recognised him as Sir Rupert Giles.

“Oh goodness, this is – oh this is fantastic!”

“You don’t mind me coming?” Rupert asked with a grin.

“Not at all – I’d have been annoyed if I’d have known you could have come and didn’t! Oh wait until I tell my husband!”

“Joany, the special guests have arrived, we need to close the doors and turn off the lights!” Joany’s son said

They quickly all went inside and the lights were turned off…

_____

“Are you sure she said tonight Ford, there’s no lights on” Willow said looking worried.

“Sure I’m sure…I’ll ring the bell” Ford did just that, and a maid answered the door.

“Come in, Mrs Evans said she will be with you directly”

They went inside and the maid said,

“Follow me please” She led them to a closed door, took their coats and told them to go in.

Ford opened the door to the dark room and the lights were suddenly switched on by a white-jacketed waiter

“SURPRISE!” Everybody yelled and poor Willow nearly jumped out of her skin, and then she saw Buffy, and Tara and burst out laughing – everybody swarmed around her saying happy birthday, and the sounds of Champagne corks popping, and the waiters offered glasses of champagne to everybody – on the side was a table spread with nibbles and everybody was told to help themselves.

“This is brilliant – whose that man dressed as – “ There was a scream, and one of the guests dropped to the floor.

“Oh god, what’s…” Willow looked worried at first, thinking it was real; she was just about to ask about Spike’s father dressed as the great detective. Sir Rupert strode forward and said,

“Stand back everybody let me see the body……hmm…bluish tone around the lips, smell of almonds, this person has been poisoned – and the murderer is in this room!”

Willow shrieked and jumped up and down.

“FANTASTIC! A murder mystery – oh gods I’ve ALWAYS wanted to come to one of these!” She grabbed Ford and holding his face kissed him hard on the lips – everybody laughed and Ford went pink around the ears.

“That’s Spike’s dad!”

“If you’d all like to take a pad and pencil to take notes” Joany said

_____________________


Half an hour of clue-busting, it was announced that dinner was served.

They all sat down to either vegetable soup or melon cocktail, then fillet steak with a red wine sauce, steak fries, salad and sautéed mushrooms, or chicken breast in a cream sauce, and for the vegetarians there was a smoked tofu stuffed Portobello mushroom with the wine sauce and salad, then for afters there were cream-filled, chocolate covered profiteroles, or fresh fruit salad and ice cream. Coffee, petite fours (handmade chocolates and marzipan ‘fruits’), cognac and liqueurs then port to finish. Joany had found out all of Willow’s favourites and everybody said it was absolutely delicious!”

After taking two hours over dinner Joany clapped her hands and said,

“Now you must work for your dinner and find out who the murderer was!” They were led into the sitting room.

Everybody had great fun questioning each other, and with a little help from ‘Sherlock’, Willow deduced that it was the victim’s brother that had committed the murder…

“I think that Inspector Lestrade should be called, I know who the murderer is, it’s was Henrietta’s brother, Miles, he wanted all the inheritance because of his spiralling gambling debts! Willow announced, and everybody clapped.

“You’ll never take me alive!” It was Joany’s son, James Mackilvenny who was playing ‘Miles’ and he stood and pointed a gun to his temple, there was a little ‘bang’ and the word ‘bang’ printed on a cloth unfurled from the gun, he dropped theatrically onto the sofa.

“Hurray! She did it!” Everybody clapped. It was coming up to midnight, and guests was chatting and laughing, when Joany asked for quiet and the lights were turned out and a trolley with a beautiful chocolate cake was wheeled in, it was two tiered, covered in dark chocolate frosting, and had white chocolate roses all around it, in the middle were some sparklers sparking silver and gold it looked so pretty!

“Ladies and Gentlemen, a toast, to Willow, Happy Birthday”

Everybody held up their champagne flutes and said,

“Happy Birthday Willow!”

Willow felt the tears in her eyes; she’d never had a better birthday. The champagne corks popped again, and on the stroke of midnight everybody sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to her.

“Speech – Speech!” Somebody demanded! Willow pulled herself together, delicately wiped her eyes on the backs of her index fingers and sniffed and then she began to giggle.

“I’m sorry, it’s just well…it’s been the BEST birthday I’ve EVER had – thank you everybody, I couldn’t have a nicer bunch of friends or people to work with – it’s been the best – Joany, Ford – everybody it’s just been awesome!” Everybody cheered and clapped and then the cake was taken away to be cut. Everybody had a small bite of cake and then was given a box with a piece to take home, Joany had thought of everything, and had the top tier put in a box to take home with Willow for her family.

Ford went out to the car and bought in a huge bouquet of mixed cut blooms and presented them to Joany as a thank you.

“Oh bless you darling it was a pleasure!” Joany hugged him to her – she really did love these people she was working with!

“Now, outside everybody!” Joany said, and with smiles and questioning looks, everybody went out on the patio, suddenly there was a muffled ‘boom’ and a rocket shot up into the air and exploded in a million stars changing colours, red, green gold and white…

“Fireworks, oh I absolutely LOVE fireworks!” Willow clapped her hands. They watched a fantastic display for a good 10 minutes before going back inside for liqueur coffees.

Eventually people began to drift off home, but Sir Rupert had been talking in the sitting room to Joany, her husband Dean Mackilvenny, Buffy, Spike, Willow and Ford.

“So, what are you doing tomorrow – sorry, I mean later on today Will?” Joany asked smiling catching the time, it had well gone midnight.

“Family day, Auntie Eunice and Uncle Saul come over from Ladypool, and Uncle Simeon and Aunt Leah come from Hillard County and my grandmother on my father’s side comes out of the home she’s in and we all go on a picnic, then have a huge dinner in the evening”

“It’s lovely to be with family – I’m so lucky I see my kids all the time, and the grandkids love it here. Dean finds it restful to be able to compose and write, and I can just relax in the garden or swim or just vegetate in front of the TV – I wouldn’t leave this house now I love it so much here!” Joany said.

“It is a beautiful house”…

They had more coffee, and left about 3.30am!

_____________________





Buffy woke to the smell of coffee and toast she turned and lay on her back when Spike entered the bedroom with a laden tray and the papers under his arm. The only thing was, he looked serious faced. Buffy sat up and smiled.

“What’s up?”

“Urm…I don’t know how you’re going to take this” Spike said.

“Not more garbage in the papers from some groupie?” Buffy asked.

“No…nothing like that – here, look for yourself” Spike put the tray down and Buffy took the papers from under his arm. She unfolded the Chronicle, on the front page there was a picture of Angel, and the headline screamed:

‘Ex soap-star found dead in his cell’ Spike watched her carefully as he pushed down the plunger in the cafetiere of coffee.

Buffy read; Ex soap star Angel Angelson was found dead in his cell at Georgetown’s Male Correctional Facility, last night, just before lock-up. It appears that he had been stabbed. Angelson had been convicted of trying to kill fellow star William Giles and stalking his girlfriend Elizabeth Summers, and was serving a sentence of 25 years, He was due to be moved to The Grange, a psychiatric prison unit as there were concerns about the state of his mental health. A spokesman for the jail said that Mr Angelson had made himself unpopular with certain in-mates and had to be put on suicide watch for the first week he arrived, but then last week the prison doctor said he was stable enough to be removed from 24 hour watch. Two inmates have been questioned over the incident, one was his cellmate serving life for a double homicide. Buffy put the paper down and looked at Spike.

“I’m…I don’t know. He repulsed me and he got what he deserved by being sent to prison – but I suppose I didn’t wish him dead – but…… (She shrugged) what’s done is done, and he won’t be coming back now so…”

“Good, I’m glad you’ve taken it like that” Spike said, then added, here, coffee’s hot – toast’ll be cold by now but – oh heck…” (the phone began to ring)

“Leave it Spike, the Ansa-phone will get it, it’s probably only journalists anyway”

Spike got into bed and sipped his coffee.

“It was a great night last night wasn’t it, Joany is SO generous” Buffy smiled and agreed.

“I was thinking, I know I haven’t got a fantastic house like she has, but, well we could just about fit the cast in…how about we have people over for Thanksgiving dinner?”

“Ah…er no!”

“No? – But why not – I’ll help you cook, you’re a fantastic cook, I’m sure you could master a pumpkin pie!”

“Sorry…but no!” Spike said with a grin. Buffy pouted

“Please?”

“Na-uh”

“Oh – Pretty please with sugar on it?”

“Nope!” Spike said again still grinning. Buffy looked sad and said,

“But why not?”

“Because!”

“Because why…” Buffy said it in such a little sad voice that Spike felt his heart melt and he pulled her close and put his arm around her and said,

“Because sweetie-pie, I’m whisking you away somewhere nice for the duration!”

Buffy looked wondrous and sat up.

“Where?”

“Now, we’ve been here before – I’ll tell you when it’s all planned!”

“But how will I know what to pack?!” Buffy reasoned

“I’ll give you enough time to pack, don’t you worry!”

Buffy gave a wicked grin and let her hand drift below the bedclothes…

“Tell me…I’ll be ever-so grateful!” She drawled sexily. Spike felt her fingers creeping towards his groin and he began to get hard immediately…

“Um, er, I oh god…”

“Go on…please?” Buffy’s head followed her hand and Spike felt her warm wet lips surround him…

“Oooo , um…oh…OH GOD!”…………………

“Hmm…yum, yum, yum!” Buffy worked her mouth up and down, Spike was crossed eyed and practically yodelling!

He put a staying hand on her shoulder, and she stopped and looked up at him. Spike just about managed to uncross his eyes and he gently pulled her up to him and sought her mouth. Quick as lightening he had them rolled and Buffy found herself beneath him and Spike was between her silken thighs lapping at her centre. She gasped, not quite knowing how he got there so quick but his wondrous tongue and fingers were bringing her such pleasure that all reason went out of her head until she was reduced to a boneless puddle of groans and sighs.

Spike moved up her body, putting himself at her tight wet femininity and entered her, Buffy let out a long wail and arched upwards until he was fully seated inside her, then he took he breath away again by setting a fast, hard pace that had her coming like a freight train in a trice, her inner muscles milking him, squeezing him had the desired effect and soon Spike was past the point of no return, really humping her hard up the bed, Buffy put her hand against the headboard to stop herself moving, and spike collapsed on her, fully spent. They were both panting hard.

When she managed to get her breath back, she asked

“Gonna tell me now?”

Spike grinned and said, ‘nope!’

Buffy tried to heave him off her, but stopped when he said,

“Let me make one phone call, then I’ll tell you”

He rolled off her and she let him up.