Chapter 37 Food, glorious Food!

“Scene 5, take 1 – and ACTION!” Tara closed the clapperboard

“Okay then Red, Spike, I’m leaving you in charge – I’ll try and be as quick as I can, but goodness knows how long I’ll be in court” Buffy said, and then she turned to leave the diner and began to walk out, when she came back again and said,

“I almost forgot, day after tomorrow is the annual Rancher’s Rodeo over in Cliftonville, that means we’ll have the world and his wife in here to eat, so Spike set about making enough specials for at least 250 – you can make one of your lovely spicy chicken curries, make a chilli, a couple of lasagnes, do a vegetable on too, and perhaps a veg curry, that might go down well. Babs is bringing me extra pork chops and a couple of Virginia Hams tomorrow, so we’ll need plenty of apple sauce making. She’s also fetching me some already spiced baby back ribs, in three flavours, BBQ, Chinese style and extra hot, we’ve got loads of ham burgers and chicken fillets, got bacon and ham steaks and a ton of sausages…I’ve got extra bread and rolls coming and extra potatoes and fries being delivered – I’ve ordered you a sack of cooking onions Spike, and 20lb mushrooms – some carrots, greens and corn, what else…I can’t think now, but if you think of anything, leave me a message on my mobile because it’ll have to be switched off”

Spike was surprised at the amount he’d been asked to do, but he said it would be no problem.

“It’ll be a mad-house in here on Thursday, I could really do without this, but it can’t be helped- so see you later”

Buffy left the diner and Spike said to Red,

“So, annual event this rodeo?”

“Oh yes, and boy is it going to be busy! Buffy used to call in extra staff, but I know Officer Jones will be working – main this is, clearing tables and having enough clean plates and cutlery and stuff. Xander helps wash up on the machine”

“I’ve had an idea, I’ll put it to Buffy when she gets back – oh I must ask her to get fresh ginger, garlic and cilantro leaves for the curries…”

“And cut – thanks folks – next scene is Buffy at the court house” Warren said reading from his clip-board.
______________


Scene 6 take 1, and action!” Warren called. From inside the court room in the studios…Tara closed the clapperboard. Buffy’s lawyer a Mr Hilton was talking:

“………Miss Wilson has stated to you on numerous occasions that the land in question isn’t for sale. She doesn’t HAVE to give her reasons Mr Leedermann, and those two men you sent to do a geological survey were trespassing, and you know it!”

Gus Leedermann shifted uncomfortably on his seat. His rather large body uncomfortable on such a small place to sit.

“But that land would be just perfect for what I want it for!” he whined

“That maybe so, but you’re just going to have to look elsewhere, and-“

“I’ll double my offer – I’m a fool to myself, but I’ll-“ Leedermann burst out, he could see his vision of a huge shopping mall diminishing faster than a freight train…

“AND it isn’t for sale at any price – and please do not interrupt me when I’m speaking!”

Mr Hilton looked over his glasses at a sweating Leedermann.

“I may also add, that if you, or anybody instructed by you even via a second or third party, in other words if it can be traced back to you in any way shape or form, you or anybody else are on that land for what ever reason, you will be prosecuted for trespass, do you understand?”

“Huh. Anybody think it was a crime to want build something nice for people to shop in…create jobs – since when did it become a crime, huh?” Leedermann asked petulantly.

“Mr Leedermann – in a different area that might have been a relevant question. But in the area around here, it is mostly retired folk. There isn’t the housing, the roads, schools, hospital or anything like the infra-structure needed to aid a huge project like this. The nearest suitable land from what I can tell is out Hillcrest way, and that is less than half a mile away from the city centre, with three big shopping malls”

“Okay, okay, I know when I’m beat – just tell me Little La – er Miss, um Miss Wilson, that’s it, tell Miss Wilson, just what is it about that land that you won’t sell it?” Leedermann asked

“It’s sacred. It’s an Indian burial ground, and that’s all I have to say” Buffy said. Leedermann’s brows rose but he said nothing else.

The judge said,
“Okay then Mr Leedermann, I’m fining you $1000 dollars for trespass, and a further $1600 court costs. I fine the two gentlemen doing the geological survey a $1000 each – you should have checked to see if Mr Leedermann was the owner of the land, you have nobody to blame but yourselves. The two thousand I’ve fined you both is to go directly to Miss Wilson, as will your $1000 Mr Leedermann”

Buffy leaned forward and whispered to her Lawyer,

“Er if I may just interrupt you, Miss Wilson has just informed me that she’d like the money to go to charity” Mr Hilton said.

“That is a matter for you Miss Wilson – court dismissed! The judge banged down his gavel and stood. Everybody else stood, and the judge left the court room.

“Thank you Mr Hilton, thank goodness this will be the last we hear about this!”


_________________
Scene 16, take 1 – action! Warren closed the clapperboard

Spike covered the container and put it in the walk-in fridge.

“How much is that now?” Red asked

“Well, let me see, 2 x 24 portion minced steak lasagne, 1 x 24 portion vegetable lasagne, I’ve used up all the garlic, I’m waiting on Buffy to get back with the fresh stuff before I can start the curries, although all the preparation is done, I’ve sliced onions and mushrooms, opened cans of tomatoes and dry-roasted off the spices and ground them ready to make a paste with the fresh ginger and garlic” Spike explained.

“Right, well I’ve peeled 15lb of cooking apples and made apple sauce, and-“

“Buffy’s back!” Xandy called into the diner.

“Great!”

Buffy came trotting in, handing Spike a large bag with a dozen heads of garlic and half a pound of fresh green ginger roots.

“How did things go?” Spike asked as he began to prepare the ginger and garlic.

Buffy explained,

“Leedermann got fined $1000 plus costs of a further $1600, and those two men on my land got fined $1000 each – I said I’ll donate it to charity”

“And cut! That’s a wrap everybody!” Warren said

__________________________


Back at Buffy’s house………

“………I know, I can’t wait! Just over a week to go – it can’t go quickly enough for me!!” Buffy said, and then she continued,

“So you were going to tell me how did your birthday with your folks go?”

“Well…my gran, bless her thought it was HER birthday, and that she was 21 again. Then she kept on going on about the war.”

“The war?”

“The second world war – she kept on saying how they all had to take flight from East Berlin, that’s where they’d been living, my grandfather was a coffee importer, they had a little café, but with the rising of Hitler, they had to leave as they were Jewish.”

“O my god, where did they go?”

“Well, they went to England, they had family there, but had to register as ‘aliens’, that was required if you wasn’t a British citizen.

“So, not such a fun picnic then?”

“Wasn’t her fault…she seemed so lucid, so together, and then an aeroplane would go over, and she’d be right back to square one again”

“Poor Will – it’s good you have a great night at Joany’s then!”

“Yeah, except last light upset my dad, I didn’t think he’d realised just how much she’s ‘gone-down-hill’ since she last saw her……”

_______________


“So, it’ll be cold” Buffy asked, lying in Spike’s arms.

“Coldish – well yeah, it’ll be cold” Spike thought, November in England = cold and rainy – hmm!

So…I pack pants and sweaters...jeans oh yeah, and my new boots!?”

“Yeah, but pack a couple of pretty going out dresses too, I DO plan on taking you nice places!” Spike said, kissing the top of her head!

“Good…I can’t wait!”

“So you keep saying!” Spike said grinning, and Buffy grinned and hunched up her shoulders.

___________________


“Scene 1 take 1, Rodeo Day at the diner – and Action!” The clapperboard was shut.

“We call it a ploughman’s lunch, what do you think?” Spike asked showing Buffy the plate he’d made up of a crusty roll, a wedge of cheese, a salad garnish, a tomato and some pickles.

“Great, make up a dozen of those and a dozen with ham, we’ll charge $4.50 for them – great idea to put some extra tables and chairs outside too – it looks nice now that the grass has been put there in front of the diner”

“Mom said she’ll be about 11 ish to help with the washing up” Charity said

“Great, now have you got enough food backed up Spike?” Buffy asked

“Think so – don’t forget we’ve got Red outside with the BBQ, that’ll be able to handle the burgers and sausages”

“Well…were as ready as we’ll ever be!” Buffy said

“And cut! Thanks folks – take 30 minutes for coffee” Tara said.


Chapter End Notes:
That was for all you lovely people who are sticking with this story and reviewing - thank you, I really do appreciate it!