Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy!!
Chapter 38 Turkey and take-off!

Scene 1 take 1 – Diner at closing time after Rodeo crowd, and Action!” Tara closed the clapperboard


“Oh god, my poor feet!” Red said, slipping her shoes off and putting them on the cold diner floor.

Spike slid into a seat with his back to the wall so his legs rested on the next seat.

“Where did they all come from!”

“I told you it was going to be busy!” Buffy said, coming from behind the counter and she gave everybody a cold drink.

“I don’t think we’ve EVER been that busy before!” Charity said, laying her head on one of the tables.

“I’ll second that! Susie said, stretching her back.

“Well, I think that was down to Spike’s delicious ‘specials’, they went down a storm!” Buffy said smiling and Spike winked at her.

“Buffy, shall I put the fire out in the BBQ?” Xandy asked

“Er…anybody hungry?” Buffy asked

“Well I am, but I’m sick of the sight of food!” Charity said

“Is there much left?” Red asked

Buffy looked over to the hot-plate and said,

“A couple of sausages…a burger…that’s about it! All the specials went, those what did you call them farmers lunches?”

“Ploughman’s lunch” Spike corrected

“Well, they all went quickly too, popular with the ladies…all the pork chop dinners…all the Virginia ham…I think I’ve just about got enough for breakfast in the morning, I’ll phone Babs and ask her if she can make us first call”

“And cut!” That’s a wrap everybody, take five” Warren called

_________________


“Black pants, check……soft blue sweater with cowl neck…check……pale green shrug…angora sweater with butterflies on…check and check…new undies…three sets, check, skinny jeans…check…boot-cut jeans…check – oh, oh, I know what I want…where are you…” Buffy began to open draws…

“Who are you talking to?” Spike asked as he stuck his head around the bedroom door.

“Just myself, I’m packing and I want my long sleeved red sweater…ah here it is, just let me write it on my list…long…sleeved…red sweater, check!”

Spike grinned at her and said,

“Don’t forget to pack that dress you wore to the awards ceremony”

“Really?”

“Oh yes…”

“Right…I’ll need the shoes to match then…and my bag…”

“I’ll leave you to it, dinner in an hour”

“M’kay…oh what are we having?” Spike’s disembodied voice said

“Steak” as he ran down the stairs.

______________________


The week leading up to Thanksgiving was hectic, and the cast had stayed late filming several nights as they had a short hiatus coming up of 10 days.

“Just three more scenes to go – is that blessed turkey cooked yet, go ask in the canteen will you Xandy?” Warren asked

Xandy did as he was told, and came back and told Warren,

“They said another half an hour”

Warren heaved a sigh and said,

“Okay folks, we’ll have to film the thanksgiving dinner last –“

___________________


Scene 15 take 1 Thanksgiving dinner in the diner – and action!” Warren said, closing the clapperboard himself.

Everybody clapped when Spike came in carrying the huge cooked turkey on a big oval plate, surrounded by roast potatoes and stuffing.

“Sure Looks good Miss Buffy!” they mayor said.

It was a tradition that Buffy always invited the mayor, Officer Jones and all the staff, Isaac the delivery guy, Andy the Handy man, and anybody else who would be on their own for thanksgiving dinner, so this year she’d invited Babs too.

Buffy followed Spike out carrying dishes of vegetables, including peas, carrots, candied yams, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and corn on the cob. Red followed with dishes of cranberry sauce, gravy and more stuffing, and two pies, one pecan, the other pumpkin.

Spike carved the turkey and put it out on plates, everybody helped themselves to the vegetables.

They all sat around eating for real, as the food had been cooked by the studio catering staff, and chatting

“Hey Officer Jones, did you get a report about some strange lights in the sky last night?”

“We sure did! The calls came thick and fast from 7.23pm, right up to gone midnight, the switchboard was red-hot, poor Daisy-Lou didn’t get a break from answering calls!”

“What’s all this then?” Spike asked

“People were saying that from Sunnyvale county right over to Heathcote there were strange lights in the sky! The sheriff got onto the airbase at Covington county, even they’d been scrambled as their radars had picked them up too”

“Wow…aliens – UFO’s!” Xandy said grinning

“Well they scrambled two helicopters and as soon as they were up in the air they had to come down again, all their instruments went haywire. The chief at the airbase said if there were anymore sightings after midnight, they’d scramble a couple of jet-fighters from Marineville – but that place is over 80 miles away and they didn’t want to do that if it could be helped”

“Fascinating!” Buffy said

“We saw UFO’s when we went to Mexico, didn’t we Tim” Andy said

“Sure did!”

“Well it frightens the life outta me!” Isaac said, his eyes going big!

“Me too – oh my God, imagine being abducted by little green men!” Babs said, hand on her chest. The cameras panned away from them all eating and talking and Warren shouted,

“And cut!” Thanks folks… that’s it, wrap it up guys, holiday time!”

“Oh…can I have some pie first?” Xandy asked and everybody laughed.

________________


BING-BONG……”Will all passengers for Trans-Atlantic flight 307 to London Heathrow please make their way to Gate 14. Please have your tickets and boarding cards ready, that’s Trans-Atlantic flight 307 to London Heathrow is boarding at Gate 14 now. Please have your tickets and boarding cards ready, thank you”

Buffy and Spike had already checked their luggage in and were in the VIP room as they were flying first class.

“That’s our plane, look at the size of her!!” Spike said showing Buffy through the window. The plane on the tarmac was been loaded with food and drink by fork lift trucks.

“Wow...it always amazes me how it gets up off the ground!” Buffy said

“Yes…especially with all your shoes!” Spike joked, and Buffy grinning popped him one on the arm!

“Ow…no, it’s alright, these airlines understand that you women have to take your own weight in shoes and stuff!”

“I’ll go home in a minute!” Buffy said, but she was still grinning, as was Spike.

“No you won’t…come on…drink up time to go!”

_____________________


They landed in Heathrow after a smooth and very comfortable flight, and after clearing customs Spike went straight to the Rent-a-Car and got the keys to a Honda Civic. They loaded the luggage and Spike started the drive down to Devon where his ancestral home was.

The traffic was heavy on the motorway and Spike came off it several junctions early and went via the back roads. It was a far more pleasant drive through the countryside, Buffy couldn’t believe just how green it all was! The trees were all bare, but there was a beautiful sunset with the sky a fiery oranges, pinks and purples.

They arrived at Carrisbrooke in just under three hours, he took it steady enjoying the drive.

Spike got to the electric gates and phoned the house. The gates opened and Buffy saw for the first time the huge place that Spike called home – it was massive! She was still shocked, even though she’d seen it on the Internet.

Mrs Calendar was outside the huge entrance waiting for them when they arrived.

“Master William! And this must be Elizabeth!” She gave Buffy a big hug and took a suitcase.

“Call me Buffy, everybody does!”

“Buffy it is then, I’ve got the kettle on, I bet you’re dying for a nice cuppa!”

Spike smiled and said that would be just the ticket!

Buffy was looking around in awe at the huge entrance hall, with it’s sweeping staircase and beautiful paintings…

“We’ll go in the sitting room for now, we’ve just had the drawing room painted and it still whiffs a bit” Mrs Calendar explained.

“That’s fine” Spike said and she opened a door to a comfy looking room with a huge marble fireplace, dark green walls and a big leather sofa and two chairs either side of the real fire.

“Sit yourself down, I’ll just get your tea”

Buffy sat on one of the chairs by the fire. There was a huge gilt-framed mirror above the fireplace, and on a sideboard, was a cut-glass vase full of roses which gave off the most beautiful perfume.

On the opposite wall to the fire was a full length portrait of a beautiful lady on a tree-swing, it’s ropes had tendrils of ivy growing down them, and there was a little dog at the base of the tree.

“Who’s that?” Buffy asked

Spike turned and said

“That was my paternal grandmother, Henrietta Maria Giles, it was painted by Holman-Hunt, a Pre-Raphaelite artist”

“She was very beautiful!”

“It is quite a good likeness, I can show you some photographs later if you like”

“Here we are…I didn’t know if you’d be hungry, so I’ve done a few sandwiches for you and I’ve put you a few scones with jam and cream – dinner is at 8.30pm, if that’s alright with you master William?”

Mrs Calendar came into the room backwards pulling a small trolley in.

Spike looked at Buffy and asked,

“Dinner at 8.30 alright for you?” She nodded and her mouth watered at the sight of some tiny little sandwiches, with the crusts cut off and a couple of scones, a dish of strawberry conserve and a dish of thick rich clotted cream.

“Fine, but don’t got to any trouble, a tray on our laps in front of the TV will do” Spike said.

“I’ll pour shall I, and leave you to it – I’ve put you in your old room Master William, and Buffy is in the guest room”

“Oh but…erm, thanks Mrs Calendar” Spike said

Mrs Calendar left the room and Spike said,

“Don’t worry…I’ve got a double bed!”

Buffy was helping herself to the little sandwiches…


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!!!