Chapter 4 - How to Win Friends, and Influence People……


When Spike was sure all the glass had fallen, he moved his arm from covering his face. Opening his eyes he saw two pairs of very shapely tanned legs running towards him. He quickly closed his eyes again and groaned for effect………

“SPIKE – Oh my god, are you alright?”

Spike gave another low moan

He ‘fluttered’ his eyes open and saw a pair of knees, and then he felt a soft hand on his face

“Spike, speak to me!” At first he was mesmerised by a pair of the most beautiful green eyes looking down concernedly at him…

“Urrgh! I’m dead, right? – And you MUST be an angel” Spike said. Buffy giggled but she was still concerned

“Are you hurt – the paramedics are on their way!”

“Ugh…I think I’m okay…can you help me sit up?”

“Sure, what shall –“

“DON’T MOVE HIM – he might have broken something!” Tara McClay shouted as she too ran out of the diner.

“I think the bike is okay, I turned off the ignition” Willow said, and knelt next to Buffy.

Spike struggled to sit up and he said,

“Two angels! I’m okay…call off the meat-wagon”

“The what?”

“I don’t need an ambulance or whatever………just want to get my breath back”

From the space where the glass had been came the very irate face of Angel, brushing off imaginary glass pellets

“You – you absolute 100% solid MORON…YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME!” Angel screamed at him, spittle flying out of his mouth

“Oh DO shut up Angel – this isn’t about you!” Buffy said, looking with concern at Spike.

Willow started to brush the glass from Spike’s leathers

“Hey don’t cut yourself love, it’ll soon fall off when I stand up” Spike grinned and held Willow’s hand.

Buffy leaned in and flicked some glass from his curls, giving Spike an eyeful down her blouse

She then proceeded to run her fingers through his locks and Spike had a hard time trying to stay coherent

To feel her nails lightly rake his scalp coupled with the flash down her blouse, Spike shivered and could feel himself getting hard –

“Careful, there might have been a few pellets gone down your neck…let me look” Buffy unzipped the front of Spike’s leather jacket and put her hand down Spike’s back, drawing her hand out she bought out a couple of pellets and dipped her hand back in again. Spike would have gladly stayed there all evening letting her do that but they all heard the siren of the paramedic’s car.

“Told you, I don’t need an am-“ Spike began, and tried to stand up, but he felt a little dizzy

“Sorry Spike, company policy, you’ll have to be checked over for insurance purposes” Tara pulled out her mobile phone and pressed a number. After a few seconds she said

“Yes, can we have the set builders down to number 8 site please…yes it’s the Diner’s studio……hi, we need a new sheet of plate glass……….”

Xandy walked out and was googly eyed

“Don’t let that –um kid touch the bike – it might still be hot or something” Spike quickly changed what he was going to say, about not letting that ‘idiot boy’ touch his bike, but as he noticed this morning, the two girls were very protective of him so he thought better of being rude about him.

“Ahh…you broke the window!” Xander said pointing

“Yeah mate, looks like it, it was an accident though, I didn’t mean it, but don’t touch that glass you might cut yourself” Spike said, both girls beamed at him, he knew he’d scored some brownie points there with them…

The paramedic’s drew up and came running over to where Spike was sitting

“I’m alright, honestly, nothing broken…bruised ego maybe!”

“Fuss about nothing, wasting EVERYBODY’S time” Angel spat as he paced back and forth in the diner

Willow and Buffy exchanged a look, but said nothing………

ooOOoo

Spike sat on the edge of the gurney and the doctor shone his pen-light into his eyes in turn.

“And there was a slight dizziness when you tried to stand up you say?” The doctor asked putting the little torch back in his top pocket.

“Yeah, just a bit – gone now though”.

“Good - still, you have that bruise on your forehead and I’m worried that you might have a slight concussion. You shouldn’t be on your own tonight, and you mustn’t drive or anything for the next twenty-four hours. I’ll give you some pain killers, so no alcohol either okay?”

“Right. But I’m okay, honestly, I don’t want to make a fuss!” Spike suddenly spied Buffy outside the double doors

“Is there somebody you could stay with?”

“Not really, I only just got here, started today..” Spike said

“And you made your mark, so to speak! Well if there isn’t anybody you could stay with, then I’m afraid I’ll have to keep you in for ‘obs’ overnight, it’s just a precaution”

Just then a nurse came through the door and Spike waved at Buffy who was standing in the corridor holding her jacket. She grinned and raised her hand

“You’re in luck Mr Giles, seems one of your new actor friends says you can stay with her”

“Really – that’s great, I won’t take up any of your - wo!” Spike quickly jumped down from the gurney but swayed a little.

“That’s what I mean, now you take it slowly” The doctor peered at Spike over his glasses

The nurse held his arm and he walked slowly to the double doors

She pushed it open and Spike grinned at Buffy

“This is very nice of you, thanks!”

“You’re welcome – can’t have our new star in hospital now can we?” They smiled at one another, and then suddenly the outside door was yanked open by a sweating, out of breath Angel.

“I KNEW you’d be here…and surprise, surprise, they’re letting him go as there’s nothing wrong with him!”

The nurse appeared at Spike’s side and gave him a small brown bottle with eight pain killers in it

“Take two every four hours if you need to, if the dizziness persists or you get a really bad headache or double vision, then come straight back, it could mean something serious, okay?” Spike nodded. The nurse then turned her attention to Angel and said,

“Actually, Mr Giles has a slight concussion and can’t be left alone tonight, Miss Summers here kindly volunteered to look after him”

“You did WHAT? Oh f’………well, words fail me!” Angel said, raising his arms and letting them fall by his sides.

“That’ll be a first” Spike muttered as he took Buffy’s arm.

“Buffy, just WHAT do you think you’re playing at?”

Buffy ignored Angel until they were all outside and down the two steps.

“That’s my car there, get in” she said to Spike, but Angel moved quickly and stood by the door so Spike couldn’t get in.

“Buffy, listen to me I don’t know what’s happening here but I don’t like it!”

“That’s it, isn’t it, and MOVE – let Spike get into the car…Angel – ANGEL, I SAID LET HIM – thank you” Angel moved and Spike got in.

“That’s it isn’t it with you – you, you, YOU! – Never mind what *I* want – as long as you’re alright…”

“Buffy, how can you say that, I’ve only done anything for you – taken you to the award ceremony’s…out for picnics…what about our – you know, agreement ?”

“The agreement we have, is on the show Angel, we’re not engaged – heck in fact we’re not even boyfriend and girlfriend, we’re just friends!”

Angel face crumpled and he held his arm out to her

“But, but Buffy, how can you say that – you know I love you!”

“Angel – I love you too, but like a friend or a brother, I could never think about you in a romantic way!”
Angel’s face clouded and he looked angry and he hissed

“Is that so, but you could think of the like of – of THAT- that junkie, that gad-about-the world having sex with groupies and catching all sorts of diseases, you could think of him as – “ Spike pressed the button inside the car and the window slid down, he leant on it with his elbow and said quite calmly,

“Er, if you’re going to discuss me, then I suggest you get your facts right. I’m not a junkie, never have been, and I didn’t sleep with groupies!”

“Oh shut up SHUT UP! Like I believe you!” Angel’s voice cracked.

“I haven’t got time for this…goodnight Angel”

“But Buffy, please – PLEASE BUFFY!” Angel begged

“We’ll talk tomorrow, I’m tired, and I want a bath and bed”

“Sounds good to me” Spike said – and Angel lunged at him through the window

Buffy roared off and Spike managed to close the window

“I didn’t mean anything by that love, I just meant –“

“I know, a bath and bed sounds good” Spike nodded

“I don’t want to cause any trouble you know pet…trouble’s got a habit of sniffing me out…”

Buffy said nothing, just concentrated on her driving. Spike took the hint and stayed quiet. About ten minutes later she pulled into a quiet tree-lined road, and onto a drive.

“Home sweet home, come on, you can have first bath…are you hungry?”

She helped Spike out of the back of the car and Spike admitted that, yes he was quite peckish, but not to go to any trouble.

“Omelette do? – I know I’ve got plenty of eggs”

“Great!”

“Right, follow me” Buffy ran up stairs, Spike followed more slowly, his whole body had begun to ache. She went into a room and he heard the swish of the curtains been closed, and then the sound of a draw being opened

Buffy came out of the room and met Spike at the top of the stairs.

“Towels here you go (she gave him two huge thick white fluffy ones) – bathroom, (she pointed to the door) and there’s a dressing gown on the bed in there for you, (she indicated with a jerk of the head towards the room she’d just come out of) and I’ll be downstairs with supper when you’re ready”

“Thanks love, that’s really nice of you” Buffy went down to whip-up eggs and Spike went into the bathroom.

He didn’t have it too hot so as not to use all the hot water; and he didn’t soak as he’d have liked, but he knew that Buffy was also tired and she’d done him a huge favour…

ooOOoo

Spike wolfed down the omelette and didn’t refuse when she offered ice cream.

“I’m sorry if I caused you major bother”

“Major bother, I don’t understand?” Buffy got a two-pint tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream from the freezer. She set about getting dishes and spoons

“With Angel, he doesn’t like me”

“Angel – oh no…it’s about time he got it into his head that any ‘relationship’ we have is strictly on the show, he needed to be told”

“I was telling the truth when I said I was never a junkie you know”

“Well, that’s your business”

“I know- but thanks to the media, with the headlines about mad coke parties and Rack dying with enough drugs in him to supply a pharmacy for a month…I’ve never done heroin or coke…too scared – and I hate needles! My problem is, I like a drink – but I’m not an alcoholic – I can take it or leave it – sometimes I think I could drink for the world, and I try…then the next day when my body is telling me never again, I can leave it for three months…that’s where I differ from an alchy see” Buffy nodded and then yawned, she put her hand to her mouth and apologised

Spike finished his ice cream

“I’m sorry pet, here’s me prattling on and you’re knackered, I’ll go to bed, goodnight, and um, you know…thanks!”

”Goodnight Spike”

He stood making sure the robe stayed closed, but he’d put his briefs back on just in case, and made for the hall. Buffy picked up the dishes, turned to put them in the sink when she screamed and dropped them.

Startled, Spike came dashing from the stairs back into the kitchen.

“What’s the matter, what is it!” Spike asked worriedly

“A face, at the window, there’s somebody outside!” Buffy had gone pale and she had her hand on her chest

Spike went to open the back door but Buffy said,

“NO! Don’t open it, it could be an axe-murderer or anybody!” Spike stopped

“Buffy, Buffy it’s me, why are you screaming, let me in!”

Buffy and Spike frowned and peered outside to see Angel looking at them

“Why you, you…fucking jerk!” Buffy shouted

“Buffy! Let me in, I need to talk to you!” Angel’s face disappeared from the window, and the back door handle rattled.

Buffy went straight to her phone and picked up the handset

“See this, I’m calling the police – you have till I count ten to leave Angel, One…Two…Three…” Angel’s face was at the window again, he began begging.

“But Buffy, love please - let us talk about this!”

“Six…Seven…”

“Be reasonable please Buffy!”

“Me? Be reasonable- huh that’s a laugh now GO AWAY!”

“Buffy…we can’t end it like this, please!”

“Can’t you get it into your thick skull you stupid ass-hole, there’s NOTHING to end! – Ten right!”

She pressed 911

Angel heard her say,

“Police, yes, there’s a prowler outside my house, he tried to get in via the back door – yes I’m Buffy Summers……………………”

Angel took the hint and was gone by the time the police came. But as he drove away from her house he said to himself,

“This isn’t over Buffy, not by a long, long way, I’ll show you what a low-down creature Spike Giles really is!”


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!