Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, there it is folks, all done - maybe?
Chapter 41


The next three days went by in a flash, spent outside mostly at the craft fair in the grounds. They were both fascinated by the wood turning, and spent hours watching the man as he turned a short piece of square wood into a shapely table-leg or even a vase or bowl. In fact Spike had a salad bowl and six smaller bowls to match made, he also commissioned a low-level coffee table with turned wooden legs for their room. Buffy bought candles, honey and all manner of beauty products made from honey, wax or containing Royal jelly from the bee-keeping people, she bought some handmade greetings cards, and another whole lot of beauty products from the herb lady, she also bought seeds to grow their own.

They watched horses being shoed, and saw how the smithy also mended the swords of the people who did battle re-enactments in the grounds, a job he would have done for knights for hundreds of years. They gorged themselves on cheese and local cider, local cooked sausages (Gold award winners for the 8th year running at the Exeter Farmers Market no less!) And then went to the local hog roast and helped to raise money for the boy scouts. Lots of people recognised Spike and he Started ‘selling’ his autograph for a £1, and at the end of the night he handed over £67 to the scout leader who was very grateful!

It was the Thursday, and nearly lunchtime. Spike and Buffy were outside, watching the blacksmith shoe a police horse. There was a group of children in front of them who were watching in wonder. A little girl put up her hand and asked the smith if it hurt the horse when he banged in the nails, and the Smith explained that the actual hoof part was like a very thick toe-nail with no feeling, so it didn’t hurt.

“It’s like when your mum cuts your nails, it doesn’t hurt does it?” The Smith asked smiling and the kids agreed.

“It is, it IS him, I’m 99% sure of it, look at the cheekbones, and the eyes…hold on, he might turn around again…I’m surprised you don’t recognise him, it was you who went to school with him, not me” A woman’s voice said.

“That was twenty years ago! Anyway, are you sure it’s him, he might have the cheekbones, but the hair’s not right” a male voce said. Buffy turned and looked at a couple who were craning the necks to look at Spike.

Buffy nudged Spike and said quietly,

“Couple of fans debating whether it is you or not” Spike grinned and turned, doing a double take and then he said,

“Kit?”

“William?”

“See, I TOLD you it was him!” the girl said beaming a smile. Buffy turned and followed Spike, who was shaking hands and had a back-slapping hug from the guy.

“Kit! I heard you were getting married here this week – well, I saw it in the diary” Spike said grinning.

“Yeah…the Mrs here, well soon-to-be Mrs said it was you, I wasn’t so sure, the hair is all different, you know!” Spike ran his hand over his curly locks and said,

“Ahh well, let it go now the bands defunct, why torture myself with the bleach when I don’t have to anymore hmm – So are you going to introduce me to your intended?”

“Sorry, course, Will, this is Annabel, Annabel Carpenter, Bel, this is William”

“No, he’ll always be Slim Spike to me, - I’m a dyed-in-the-wool Vampyres fan – and VERY pleased to meet you!!” She shook hands with Spike and kissed him on the cheek.

. So, everything alright – come to check up for the big day?” Spike said

“Yeah, we’ve come to see Julia, she’s been great, matched our theme colour exactly for us and we’ve come to pay the balance, not long to go now. Shame you missed my stag do, we had it in Dublin, fantastic weekend it was…remember Stuart Benbow and Alistair McDuggan – they came” Kit said.

“I remember a Stewie Roxburgh…I don’t remember Stuart Benbow”

“Yes you do, he was the one who climbed the clock tower the last day of term and put the masters ‘Y’ fronts on the hour hand of the clock, but then he got stuck and the firemen had to get him down”

“Oh yeah, I remember now!”

“Alistair McDuggan used to be fantastic at drawing, he used to draw cartoons of everybody”

“Oh I remember him…didn’t know his name though – anyway, this is Buffy, my girlfriend, Buf this is Kit, and his fiancé, Annabel”

“Bel, please – pleased to meet you!” She kissed Buffy’s cheek, as did Kit.

They chatted for a while, went inside while they saw Julia and then they met up outside again.

“Are you free for dinner tonight – let me take you out as I missed your stag do” Spike said.

“That would be fantastic – there’s a fantastic little Greek place in Hopham, can usually get a table mid week”

“I was thinking of Simpson’s in Exeter” Spike said

Kit scoffed, it was the BEST restaurant in the South West and tables were rare, especially at this short notice!

“Huh, you’ll be lucky!” Kit said

“Don’t worry, ye of little faith, I still have some pull you know…they use our meat…hold on” Spike took out his mobile and walked off a little way,

“I forget who he is Simpson’s eh, WHAT a treat!” Kit said.

Spike came walking back grinning.

“We have a table at Simpson’s at 9pm tonight – if you come here, we’ll use dad’s car and driver, then you can have a drink” Spike, said

“Oh Will, fantastic – I’ve always wanted to go there!!” Kit said.

“Me too – see you later then, I’ve got to sort out something really nice to wear” Bel said.

___________________


“That was the BEST grouse I’ve ever eaten!” Kit said, dabbing his mouth with a napkin and putting it down on his side plate.

“Good, I’m glad, Bel, Buffy, how was your’s?” Spike asked

“My steak was delicious, as was the red wine and wild mushroom sauce” Buffy said

“That veal cutlet was to die for, and the creamy mustard sauce…and oh, but that lobster first off…” Bel began…they’d all had the lobster to start, and Spike had had the same as Buffy for main course.

“Would you like anything from the sweet trolley, sir?”

“Bring it over!” Spike said, adding,

“I’m sure we can find a bit of room!”

“Oh god, I can’t – I’ve got a wedding dress to fit into!” Bel moaned

“You’ll be okay…I’ll chase you round the bedroom tonight for a bit of exercise!” Kit said winking at his fiancé.

“Only problem is, I’ll let you catch me! Oh god, oh god, oh god look – that chocolate torte is speaking to me……eat me, eat me!” Bel tried looking away – but it was no good…

“Would you like some cream madam?” The waitress said placing the dark wedge of sinful delight in front of her. It was garnished with a few raspberries.

“No! Oh goodness!”

“Go on, whack it on!” Kit said, and the waitress poured!

“If I don’t fit into this dress, I’ll just have to wear my jeans, that’s all!” Bel said waving a spoonful of dessert in front of her fiancé.

Buffy chose a box, made out of thin pieces of chocolate, filled with white chocolate and coffee mousse, with a dark chocolate sauce and two coffee beans as garnish.

Kit had poached pear in white wine with chocolate sauce and homemade vanilla ice cream, and Spike had sticky toffee pudding.

With coffee they all had a Cognac to finish.

Spike paid the bill with his credit card, it came to just over £200 with a decent bottle of burgundy with the main course and a glass each of Sauterne with the pudding.

They left and got home around 1am, with the driver taking Bel and Kit home first. Kit said he would come for the car in the morning. Buffy and Spike had been invited to the wedding, they said they’d go to the ceremony and the evening reception, but miss out the wedding ‘breakfast’ as it was called.

____________________


Friday morning dawned bright and clear, but cold. Buffy said (with reluctance as she felt so ‘at home’ there) that she’d better start packing as they would be at the wedding on Saturday, and having to leave after lunch on Sunday. Spike agreed and helped. They went into the town and Buffy bought some keepsakes and presents for her friends on the show.

______________



On Saturday Buffy and Spike took their places at the back of the function room and saw Kit and Bel exchange vows. Bel looked stunning in a cream sheath dress with a slash neckline; it glittered with rhinestones that caught the light, as did the small tiara she wore. She had two ‘grown up’ bridesmaids in royal purple, and two tiny bridesmaids, (one aged 3 the other 4) in lilac ballerina style dresses and ballet pumps with circlets of fresh flowers in their blonde tousled curled hair – they looked like little flower-fairies and everybody ‘awwed’ them at being so sweet and well behaved. They also had a page boy who was wearing purple velvet knickerbockers who carried the rings on a silk cushion for them. After the vows were exchanged the party moved off to St Georges’ chapel for the blessing, and then everybody went into the function room.

Transformed with white curtains, that had swags of twisted purple and lilac fabric held against the curtains with a huge bow, the tables covered with lilac covers and purple and white napery. Every table had a posy of lilac, white and purple fresh flowers and looked beautiful with the white and silver china and crystal glasses and silver cutlery.

Buffy and Spike bowed out and said they would see them later and went to their room. Buffy did some more packing and lay down on the bed reading.

“Shame we’ve got to go isn’t it” Spike said throwing stuff into a case.

“Yes, I’ve had such a wonderful time here, meeting your friends”

“Let’s try and get back here after Christmas, shall we? – You never know, we might be able to get a break before Easter, it’s early next year”

Buffy nodded, but she didn’t give much hope, least not for her anyway. It looked like Spike was going to do the Dr How movie; and she doubted if she’d be able to get time away from her busy working schedule.

__________________

The music was loud and the atmosphere was fantastic when Buffy and Spike went down to the function room. The tables had been moved back and now there was a disco at the top of the room, and tables running the length of the wall with the evening buffet on them.

Drinking and dancing went on well into the night, with everybody saying goodbye to the happy couple who left at 9.30pm as they had a flight to catch at 5am, they were going to the Seychelles for 10 days.

Spike yawned and took his tie off and lay down on the bed when they got back to their room at about 1.30am. Downstairs the staff were busy tidying up.

Buffy sat at the dressing table and removed her makeup.

“Bel looked lovely didn’t she” Spike said

“She sure did!”

“Weren’t those little teenies sweet, the bridesmaids they were so cute!” Buffy said grinning

“They’re Bel’s sister’s two girls, their names are Lily and Poppy” Spike said

“Aww, how cute is that! – I must say Kit looked very smart in his top hat and tails!”

“Yeah, he was telling me, he was all set to go into the army, as an officer – but then he got married and his wife became ill. She was in a wheelchair for a while, and with no-one else to look after her, so he took up a teaching post instead.”

“Did he say why it didn’t work out, his first marriage I mean?”

“In the end, she didn’t want kids and he did, simple as that”

“I’d have thought that was something you would have found out before you got married, not after” Buffy said taking off her silk robe.

“Well, I think the illness changed her mind…I’d love to have kids, what about you?”

“Me? – Well yes, I don’t suppose I’ve ever really given it much thought before – but I think I’ve always taken it for granted that I’d grow up, get married and have a couple of kids!” Buffy said

Spike yawned and reluctantly got up off the bed and began to get undressed, he was a little unsteady on his feet.

“God I’m tired!” he got into bed.

Buffy smiled and said,

“It’s been a hectic week…be glad to get back to work on Wednesday for a rest! Sorry to leave here though”

Spike nodded. Buffy followed and switched off the light. Spike was already asleep!

__________________


The flight home was comfy and uneventful, and they were both exhausted by the time they got home to Buffy’s house.

There was a ton of mail for them, and they spent a good hour going through it.

“I’m going to sleep tomorrow – back to work Wednesday!” Buffy said.

“But first, let’s empty the cases..” Spike said, then added

“I might do the odd bundle of washing…hey look, can’t wait to give Xandy these sheep slippers, he’ll love them!” Spike said holding up a pair of novelty slippers with a sheep face on the front.

“I got some of those for Willow look…in pink!” Buffy said holding up a matching pair

“I got Mrs Rosenberg a crystal, look and one for Joany………” Spike said

“Ha – I got Warren some camomile tea bags to calm him down…”

“Snap! Hahahahaha – I was thinking of his blood pressure when we can’t film outside!”

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-************~-~-~-~-~-~-~-************~-~-~-~-~-~-~-************
THE END


Chapter End Notes:
So, is it the end?