Author's Chapter Notes:
Well this was a little quicker than the last one. Thank you for your wonderful reviews.

Special thanks to Spikelissa for her beta job.
Chapter 4

After looping around a few times they finally turned onto Market Street. “Bloody hell,” Spike grumbled. “I forgot how bleeding difficult it is to navigate this city.”

He drove for awhile finally spotting his destination and smiled to himself. The Slayer was going to flip when she realized where they were staying. He turned left on Montgomery Street and pulled up in front of the Palace Hotel, smiling happily at Buffy. “We’re here.”

Buffy sat there gapping at the vampire. She knew this hotel very well, not because she had stayed here, but because she had always wanted to. As a little girl she had dreams of meeting a prince in this place. When she got older she remembered arguing with her friends at Hemery about where they would stay after graduation.

She would argue with her friends about it because those who had the money to spend wanted to stay at hotels like the Four Season or the St. Regis. These hotels weren’t bad. In fact, they were beautiful and modern luxury hotels, but Buffy had always thought the magic of San Francisco was that you could never completely erase its age, and the history of such an amazing town was what made it so classy.

The Palace was part of that history in every sense of the word and even though Buffy was a modern girl at heart, the historic hotel was a part of the magic of this city. She wanted to be a part of that magic, but trusting Spike was going to be very hard, and she wouldn’t risk getting in trouble with the law over it.

Buffy looked at Spike warily, “We can’t afford this.”

A valet opened her door and offered her a hand of assistance. “Welcome to the Palace Hotel madam.”

Spike grinned devilishly at her and winked, “Trust me pet, we’ll be fine.”

Buffy took the valet’s hand and let him help her out of the car. Her heart was racing and she turned glaring at the vampire, “If you get me in trouble, you’re so dust.” She muttered low so that only he could hear.

Spike’s grin widened with amusement, but he nodded all the same. He stepped around to the trunk popping the hood and removing their bags. He walked back around handing the keys and a ten to the valet. Spike then grabbed the scrawny man by the lapels of his suit and growled in his ear. “Take good care of my baby. Not a scratch, you hear.”

“Y-yes sir.” The valet squeaked, after Spike had let him go. He quickly hopped into the Desoto and slowly pulled away.

Buffy watched with raised eyebrows and was a little annoyed when Spike ignored her look and began to head towards the entrance. She huffed irritated, before she stomped after him. Buffy grabbed his arm right as he was reaching the door and spun him around to face her. “Look Spike, I appreciate you taking care of me and trying to do nice things for me. I do…but we can’t afford this place, and I for one don’t want to spend the night in jail.”

Spike looked at Buffy a long minute with narrowed eyes before he finally growled, “Did it ever occur to you that maybe I know what the bloody hell I’m doing, you infuriating chit?” He paused dropping a bag on the ground, so he could run his fingers through his hair. “Yes, you’re right we don’t have the money, but I also know one of the owner’s, and he owes me big. So shut your bloody trap for two seconds and have a little faith in ole Spike, all right.”

Buffy stood there speechless for a few moments before she nodded her head and followed him through the front entrance. They walked in silence towards the front desk, and Buffy suddenly became self-conscious about her attire. She was wearing a pair of old baggie jeans and a black sweater that looked too casual for such a grandiose hotel. She was suddenly very thankful she had packed some of her fancier clothing.

Spike stepped up to the front desk and smiled politely at the women behind it, “I need to speak with Lenard McDowell please.”

The woman reeled slightly her skin becoming pale at the mention of the name. She stared intently at what must be a vampire and shifted her gaze quickly to the young women standing next to him. “M-May I inquire as to your name sir?”

Spike nodded licking his lips, “Tell him it’s a very old friend.”

The women looked at Spike skeptically before picking up the phone and dialing a few numbers. She whispered into the phone quickly and intently before hanging up. “Mr. McDowell will be down shortly. Please, have a seat in the lobby.”

Buffy and Spike silently walked over to one of the lobby chairs, sitting down. This was so unreal. Who’d have thought Spike could have friends in such high places? She also suspected the women at the front desk knew what Spike was. Her curiosity finally got the better of her, and she asked, “How did she know you’re a vampire?”

Spike looked at her smiling softly, “Lenard is in charge of catering to the demon community as well as being part-owner. The staff is well aware of that little tidbit, especially if you ask for him by name.”

“Oh,” Buffy said quietly, wondering exactly who or what she was about to meet.

“My God…” Came a smooth baritone voice, “Spike is…is that really you?”

Buffy’s head shot up in time to see a tall, thin elderly man with dark graying hair walk quickly over to them. He smiled brightly at Spike and laughed. The man didn’t feel completely human, but he also wasn’t giving off any truly evil vibes, so Buffy sat quietly and watched the exchange.

“How long has it been?” Lenard said extending his hand to the vampire.

Spike took the proffered hand greeting Lenard with the same enthusiasm. “At least ninety years,” He responded chuckling.

Lenard smiled fondly at Spike. “Ninety-four to be exact, but who’s counting.” That was when Lenard noticed Buffy watching them intently, “And who might this beauty be?” he asked looking back at Spike surprised.

Buffy stood from her seat holding out her hand in greeting, “Hi. I’m Buffy.”

Lenard’s eyes widened a bit at the petite women as he reached out to take her hand bowing graciously. “That wouldn’t be the infamous Buffy Summers would it?”

Buffy gasped. “How…how did you know my name?”

Lenard looked at Spike with a bushy raised eyebrow before turning back to smile at Buffy, “In my line of work, I hear many tales, and you my dear have been the buzzing topic of the demon community for the past three years.” He grinned at the deceptively fragile looking girl. “Anyone who was powerful enough to kill the Master should know by now that their name is enough to strike fear into the hearts of most demons.”

Buffy blinked at the man, her mouth falling open in shock. “You mean like I’m famous or something?”

Lenard chuckled patting her small hand. “But of course, my dear. I believe even the Count himself has heard your tales.”

Buffy blinked a few times, “As…as in Count D-Dracula. He…he’s real?”

Spike snorted rolling his eyes, “Course the wanker’s real. The poncy bugger owes me eleven pounds.”

Buffy turned looking at Spike mouth still hanging open, “You actually know Dracula?”

Spike pulled a cigarette from his pack, “Know him? We're old rivals.”

“Yes,” Lenard cut in chuckling. “And my will he be jealous when he finds out you’ve taken up with the Slayer he had set his sights on.”

“What!” Spike snarled, possessively wrapping an arm around Buffy’s waist without even realizing it.

Buffy stiffened immediately, but not from Spike’s embrace. What Lenard had just revealed had a cold chill running up her spine. “S-s-set his sights on?” Buffy questioned numbly.

Lenard looked at Spike then back at Buffy. He opened his mouth to answer her but Spike beat him to it, “Means the Count wants to make you one of the undead…Wants you to belong to him in every way possible.”

“I-I…That’s…” Buffy turned to Spike eyes misting with tears, “I thought Slayers can’t be turned?”

Spike looked at her shaking his head, “Oh, they can, just not such a good idea to try is all.”

Buffy looked at Spike swallowing the lump in her throat, “But…but Giles said…”

Spike nodded, “He meant no vampire in their right mind would dare to try. Doesn’t mean Drac’s not arrogant enough to think he would succeed. Bloody power hungry prick if you ask me.”

Buffy’s lip began to quiver as she looked at Spike, but Lenard placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Don’t cry, my dear. Rumor has it, he’s had to return to his homeland, because his lands are in jeopardy of being sold off. He won’t be disturbing you for a while yet.

Lenard then looked at Spike, “She’s a breath of fresh air compared to Drusilla. I do hope you plan on keeping her.”

Normally Spike would have torn the arms out of any man who spoke ill of Dru, but Lenard had never liked her, and he had never made an effort to hide his disdain for her. In fact, back when she and Spike had stayed here in 1906 it had been right after Spike had discovered Dru in bed with a Grathnar demon. Lenard had declared her an inconsiderate harlot that was too self involved to see what she had right in front of her.

At the time, he had been too heartbroken to stand up for her, and Lenard had taken him out drinking. It was that night that Spike discovered Lenard was part Empath. He had told Spike he could see who certain people’s matches were. Lenard had disclosed that evening that Drusilla was not his match at all.

Spike had not wanted to believe it at the time, but now he wished he had taken his advice and left her. The only problem with that was, if he had left that night, Dru would be dead, and as much as Spike hated her now, he would never wish that for her. Spike smiled at Lenard ignoring the comment and clearing his throat. “Was wondering if I still have a lifetime pass here?”

Lenard smiled blindingly at the blonde couple. “But of course. I am forever in your debt Spike. You don’t even need to ask.”

Buffy looked at Spike surprised, but held her tongue. She would ask him later why the kind half-demon owed him so much.

__________________________________________________________


Lenard led them through the hotel, and Buffy was finally feeling comfortable enough to enjoy the Palace. It was beautiful, especially a room called the Garden Court. It had a huge glass-panel, domed ceiling, and large chandeliers hanging from the top. The carpet was a deep blue, with matching burgundy and blue Oriental rugs that were placed around the edge in a beautifully styled fashion. There were large marble columns that adorned the sides giving off that majestic feel. Buffy felt as though she’d stepped through a time machine.

As they made their way to the suite, Spike couldn’t help the proud grin that kept tickling his mouth. Buffy had a look of complete awe on her face and would get this dazed sparkle in her eyes when she saw something she liked. Spike thought, at those moments, she was the most endearing creature he had ever laid eyes on, and he had to keep himself from staring at her.

As they entered their room, Buffy couldn’t stop the gasp that passed her lips. She even had to cover her mouth to keep from squealing like a little girl. Like everything else in the hotel it was gorgeous, but what took her breath away was that this was a suite straight out of the movies. She had never been in a hotel room that resembled an apartment before.

The room she was standing in resembled a living room but could almost be called an office too. She walked further in, ignoring the men as they began to speak to each other. Buffy quickly went to the next room her excitement bubbling as she entered the sitting area. ‘God, Cordy would be so jealous!’ She began to giggle uncontrollably, spinning in a circle as she entered the bedroom. She walked over to the bed falling dizzily on it.

This had to be a dream. None of this could be real, then he stepped in the room, and she knew it was. Spike, the Slayer of Slayers, had brought her the first happy moment she had in over three years. The thought alone had her giggles starting all over again.

Spike smiled, as he watched her giggle like a kid on Christmas. He had been the one to make that beautiful smile grace her lips, and he decided he would spend the rest of the trip trying to keep it there. He tossed their bags down next to her on the bed. “Better get ready, kitten. We’re going out for dinner tonight,”

__________________________________________________________


Angel entered the Gateway of Lost Souls to be confronted by the male Oracle. “I do hope you didn’t bother bringing a gift this time. You aren’t going to be staying long.”

Angel stopped eyeing him suspiciously. “Buffy… she remembers, doesn’t she?”

The male looked at Angel long and hard before nodding. “She does.”

“B-but why?” Angel asked not understanding why the Oracles hadn’t done what they said they would. It was frustrating really, especially since Buffy had not even let on that she still remembered when she had left his office this morning.

“Unlike my sister, I do not believe you did this for a selfless reason. If it had been selfless, you would have returned to the Hellmouth with the Slayer. That had never been your intention and unlike my superiors, I do not believe you are their champion.” The Oracle said bitingly as he glared at the Souled One.

Angel reeled at the venom in his voice, bristling at the comment. “That’s not for you to decide.”

“No,” The Oracle shook his head as a grim satisfied smile crossed his face. “It’s not. But I can choose to answer a request by a champion, just as my sister answered yours.”

Angel looked at the male confused. “I-I don’t…”

Suddenly, the Oracle took on a female voice. Buffy’s voice. “No. I'll never forget. I'll never forget. I'll never forget. I'll never forget.”

Angel cringed at the memory, glaring at the Oracle. “I don’t understand how granting her request will change anything. It’s only going to make it harder on her.”

“You made a decision without her lower being. You never even asked her what she thought. That changes everything, and I could not in good conscience allow such a travesty to happen without her knowing what you chose to take away.” The Oracle tilted his head to the side watching the vampire try to keep his temper under control.

“But she’s run off with Spike, because of her memories. How is that a good thing?” Angel growled.

The Oracle smiled. “Your jealousy does not concern me lower being.”

“I’m not jealous! I’m just concerned.” Angel shouted, his temper finally getting the better of him.

The male rolled his eyes. “The Slayer is in no danger. We are done here.”

Angel started to protest but like the last two times he found himself staring at the gateway under the post office. He stared at it for a long moment before he sighed. It was time to call Giles.

__________________________________________________________


Buffy stepped out of the bathroom in a black silk sleeveless chiffon dress, and a pair of black suede open toe heels. Spike was speechless as he stared, she looked bloody magnificent. Her hair was piled up high in a loose bun with little tendrils of golden hair framing her face. Her make-up was done to perfection and the black onyx necklace she wore finished the ensemble perfectly.

Buffy took in Spike’s awestruck expression and blushed. “I…um…is it too much. I-I could change if…”

Spike finally recovered his voice and shouted. “No!”

Buffy jumped in response to his outburst and blushed further. “Are you sure?”

“I…just…you look lovely.” Spike finally managed standing and walking towards her.

She finally noticed what Spike was wearing and a faint smile crossed her lips. “So do you.” She whispered, taking in his black slacks and button down red dress shirt.

He smiled at that, looking down at his own attire. “Yeah, but I think you still got me beat in the best dressed category, luv.”

Buffy looked down and started to fidget with her hands. This was strange, not in a bad way, but strange none the less. She was so used to fighting with him that it should feel awkward being nice, but it didn’t. In fact, it was almost comfortable.

Buffy looked up watching him devourer her with his eyes and swallowed. “Where are we going?”

He met her eyes smiling slightly, “The Zuni Café. Lenard told me it’s one of the best restaurants in town.”

Buffy looked up surprised, “Spike, you really don’t have to do all this.”

He shrugged, looking sheepish. “I just want us to have a good time, is all? You deserve it after everything you went through.”

Tears suddenly sprung to her eyes and Buffy tried to reel them in, wanting to make this a happy moment. He was absolutely amazing she decided, and before she even realized what she was doing; her feet carried her the short distance, so she was right in front of him.

Buffy gently stood on her tiptoes gently kissing Spike on the cheek. “Thank you.” She whispered.

Spike looked down rubbing the back of his neck as the warmth of her kiss burned him. “We…” He swallowed when his voice came out hoarse. “We should probably get going.”

Buffy smiled softly and nodded. “I’ll go grab my coat.”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review. Your words are like candy!