Author's Chapter Notes:
Unbetaed but edited. If you'd like to beta for me let me know, otherwise just enjoy!

Chapter 3: Patrolling



As expected, the sleeping duo was woken up a few hours later by a bouncing and happy Dawn. She had gotten an A on her history paper thanks to Spike’s help and was eager to share the news with him.

Dawn was then whisked away by Buffy back to the house to do some laundry before Spike arrived for dinner.

About 2 hours later, Spike raced into the kitchen thankful that the blinds were closed as he straightened out his duster ignoring the chuckles he heard from Dawn and Buffy from inside the living room. He recovered quickly from just about being on fire and went to work creating the quiche while Buffy and Dawn sat together side by side on the couch watching Sweet Home Alabama.

Once Spike put in the quiche, he went and sat in the middle of the couch between Dawn and Buffy. He felt Buffy immediately lean up against him so he kissed her on the forehead wrapping his arms around her as he felt Dawn lean her head against his shoulder. Dawn really enjoyed the family feeling of snuggling on a couch and Buffy had been noticing she didn’t mind it so much either. She no longer struggled with feeling like the third or fifth wheel. Spike always make her feel wanted and welcome and she hoped he was finally feeling the same way with her.

With the group all snuggled together, this is how Tara, Willow, Anya and Xander found them 15 minutes later when they showed up in time for dinner. Tara and Willow had been to a study meeting and Xander and Anya had been closing up her Magic Shop. Anya and Xander sat together on a beanbag chair that had been added to accommodate the group and Willow and Tara sat close together in the big chair in the corner of the room. There the group watched television together in silence until the meal was ready.

Sweet Home Alabama was turned off as the buzzing announcing the quiche went off. Everyone rushed into the dining room table as Spike disappeared into the kitchen with Buffy by his side. Buffy got together drinks, which Xander quickly brought to the table as Dawn brought plates and silverware. Anya set out three hot pads to accommodate the huge tray of quiche that Spike had created and Buffy brought the garlic bread that had been bought.

The table was full of laughter and talking as the group actively dug into their delicious meal. Buffy and Spike laughed as they told a patrol story filled with a vampire who dared Spike to kick his ass without the help of his slayer who gladly did so followed by the rest of his gang who ran away only to still be dusted. Dawn told a story about school and how she got the highest grade on her history paper thanks to Spike’s help and Anya shared a story about a kid who came into the Magic Shop aiming to have a spell put on his parents to not ground him anymore. He was surprisingly well versed in what would be needed for the spell but the spell didn’t exist much to everyone’s laughter. Xander shared his latest grumble about his crew having the wrong parts to complete the latest job he had been working on in repairing a fire as a result of Spike and Buffy burning an abandoned warehouse to the ground to destroy 100 plus vampires who had just arrived in town. It was Xander’s job to rebuild it.

After the meal, everyone hurried into the living room where movie night began. Dawn popped popcorn while Buffy provided the sodas. Anya had brought party mints as Xander brought chips. The witches provided the movies of choice, which were Men in Black I and II, The Scorpion King, and Scooby-Doo.

After watching Scooby-Doo and Scorpion King, Buffy and Spike reluctantly headed out for a patrol of the cemetery.

The first cemetery was extremely uneventful with only one lone rising vampire to dust. Buffy and Spike had been sparring to waste the time waiting for him to rise. He was extremely slow and even more pathetic to dust but it at least gave them a split second of action and the next cemetery wasn’t much better. Two vampires were out for a bite to eat only they were fledglings, with barely any kick behind their bite.

The third cemetery was dead quiet literally. Spike eyed Buffy as they glanced around seeing nothing at all. No vampires, no demons, and nothing strange. It felt eerily quiet as Spike and Buffy held hands walking through the place. Spike even popped his head into a few crypts but still it was empty. They were almost ready to call it a night when they stopped at a fourth cemetery.

Buffy raced in with Spike fast catching up thinking they wouldn’t find anything but Buffy came to a dead stop in front of three vampires and a strange looking demon. Buffy swung at the demon that merely laughed as he stumbled slightly then quickly regained his balance.

The demon spoke stating, “Slayer. How nice of you to join us this evening.”

Buffy frowned, “Who are you?”

The demon chuckled, “It won’t matter as you won’t be staying long.”

Spike bumped into Buffy who peered at him and he stated in a calm tone, “Skuttles. I see you have found your way into Sunnydale. What do we owe this occasion mate?”

Skuttles had a nasty laugh as he glared at Buffy and then smiled at Spike. His three bodyguards, which were the vampires, glared at Buffy making her a little uneasy as she listened to the dialogue between Spike and Skuttles, “I’m just here to see what the Hellmouth has been up to. It seems a bit rowdy for my tastes. You know me Spike, I always prefer a calm and quiet area to feed. This place it’s hard to find a good feed without another vampire bumping into you. How you managed to settle here, I’ll never know. Then again you always did like the company of others around you.”

Spike chuckled with a slight nod, “Well this place is bloody busy, that’s for sure. So you aren’t planning to stay in Sunnydale?”

The demon shook his head, “Nah, on my way out already. You just don’t have the cattle I so enjoy snacking on around here. For being a small town, you don’t have much farm land.”

Buffy eyed Spike who just gestured for her not to say anything so instead she went and sat on a gravestone quiet out of curiosity more than anything else while they continued to talk, “So how is life here for your Spike? The victims treating you good? Where’s Dru?”

Spike frowned but pulled out a cigarette to look cooler than he felt at the moment, “Things are just fine. Free unlimited blood, lots of friends around, and loads of fun. I have no complaints. Dru is in Brazil still I reckon. We had a difference of opinions and she took off.”

The demon chuckled, “Well no worries. She always returns, as I’m sure you know. Someone might tickle her fancy now but she always knows where the going is good, isn’t that right?”

Spike chuckled but then admitted, “Well I got me a good girl this time. I don’t need Dru nor want her. She has moved on to bigger things and I have moved on as well. All good things must come to an end after all.”

Skuttles nodded in agreement as he shrugged, “Well, it was good to see you again Spike. Take care and perhaps we will meet again in another lifetime somewhere else. I don’t fancy this place much.”

With another slight nod he disappeared leaving a confused Buffy with Spike. Buffy put her hands on her hips stating, “What was that about? Don’t we slay demons and vampires? You just let him walk out of here!”

Spike frowned taking the last drag from his cigarette tossing it aside, “He eats livestock. You know, chickens, cows, horses, and sheep? Things like that, not bleeding humans. He’s harmless and you heard him. Skuttles isn’t staying in Sunnydale. You will probably never see him again…hmm what’s that.”

Spike eyed a silver ball on the ground that Buffy picked up. They both watched as Buffy turned it over in her hand, “Looks like a silver ball. You think it was Skuttles?”

Spike shrugged, “I don’t know the fellow that much. We should take it back and let the others look at it and do a bit of research. Perhaps it means something.”

Buffy shrugged as she slipped it into her pocket stating, “Want to call it a night? We are getting nowhere. We did four cemeteries finding little to no action. I think it’s enough for the night. We can swing by yours on the way back if you would like to make sure no ex-friends are hanging around your crypt. You game?”

Spike nodded then smirked, “Race ya!”

He turned and ran leaving Buffy behind to race faster in an attempt to catch up to him as they headed to Restfield for their last cemetery on patrol for the night.