Author's Chapter Notes:
Unbetaed. Feel free to contact me with any errors you find. I love feedback of any kind!

Chapter 6: Their New Journey



Buffy and Spike traveled all day battling various beasts as they wandered through the forest. There didn’t seem to be an end to the animals they found or to the forest in which they journeyed through. Spike was getting slightly tired as was Buffy but they hadn’t seen any sign of shelter but what Buffy did spot was, “Water!! Spike look water!”

Spike raced after her as she ran into the water not even caring if she got her clothes wet. She was anxious to feel clean and was tired of walking. She lifted some water to her face drinking it down as Spike joined her. He tossed his duster off his body and into a nearby bush jumping into the water to splash Buffy with a slight grin. She splashed happily in the water as she felt her strength returning to her. Spike wasn’t idle either as they took turns dunking each other in the sunlight covered pool. Finally Buffy lay back in Spike’s open arms gently letting the waves lap over them as she whispered, “What will happen to us?”

Spike shrugged, “Not sure pet but we will keep each other safe.”

She nodded as she climbed out of the water. She never stayed in his arms too long awake because it created feelings she wasn’t sure she wanted to admit. She tried to run her fingers through her hair as Spike walked up behind her, “You look beautiful Buffy as you always do.”

She couldn’t stop the blush from covering her cheeks as she turned around to see Spike’s intense gaze over her and she knew with perfect clarity as she always did when she looked into his eyes, that he meant every word of his flattery. She shuddered a bit uncomfortable as she accepted his hand stating, “We should keep going. There’s no shelter around this pool.”

Spike nodded looking a bit disappointed as he leaned over giving her a gentle kiss that she returned. She was left breathless even when the kiss ended as quickly as it began. Spike pulled Buffy beside him to walk as they continued to try to find some sort of shelter.

Meanwhile Buffy was lost in her own thoughts as she wondered why she was holding back in their relationship. She knew he had so much more to offer her than just stolen kisses, dinners, dates and occasional lovemaking. During the nights they made love, his feelings for her were all over everything he did. Every touch, every look, every kiss and pretty much every movement was done to express his feelings for her but yet Buffy was afraid to return them. She noticed Spike talking to her so she stopped her thoughts replying, “What?”

Spike repeated himself, “We should find some sort of shelter because at night, more beasties probably appear and you can’t even see them to help me fight.”

Buffy nodded not wanting to admit but it was already getting so she was straining to see since with the forest. This was because the woods really took away more of the light that was left. She sighed as she continued to walk wondering why she had to read that silly inscription out loud. She could be in her house, being held by Spike instead of wandering in a death bringing forest, feeling still wet and rather cold. She longed for shelter.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



It was pitch dark and Spike was still walking holding Buffy who was stumbling around in the dark. His duster had been draped over her shoulders to protect her from the chilly air since she had been shivering while walking earlier. She felt a little warmer but still she longed for shelter and for sunlight. But there had been no sign of shelter only of darkness, a drizzling rain and monsters she couldn’t see and had to trust Spike to kill to protect her.

She was completely blind but felt amazingly safe in Spike’s arms as they dredged on. She was tempted just to lie down and sleep only it was wet, the ground was muddy and they would probably be eaten alive. Finally she heard Spike whisper, “Stay here. I want to check out this grass shelter. It looks man made…”

Buffy leaned against the tree Spike placed her in front of her and crossed her arms in front of her chest as she used her hands to warm her and calm her nerves. She enjoyed the scent of the leather and cigarettes that Spike’s duster smelt of and wondered why two things she had previously hated, smelt so good to her now.

Her thoughts were broken as she heard voices then, and talking in a language she didn’t understand but apparently Spike did. She hated feeling left out and was tempted to walk inside to see what was going on. It didn’t sound like angry talking but instead the low mummers of explanation and she was even beginning to wonder if Spike had forgotten she existed. She heard a low growling in the distance along with the rustling of movement and felt herself growing scared. Just as she was about to invade, she heard Spike whisper and touch her arm, “Come on. He said we could stay. It’s surprisingly nice in there. He’s been around for a bloody long time I reckon.”

Spike pushed on her head slightly signaling for her to duck as they entered. The room was bright and had a fire and two lit torches. She was pulled down onto Spike’s lap as he sat down near the fire re-wrapping his leather duster around her to warm her. The red-skinned demon offered her a stick with something on it and Spike said something accepting it as Spike handed it to her stating, “Eat it. You need to eat luv.”

Buffy looked down at the lizard-like creature that had been roasted and closed her eyes. She knew she needed to eat but she frowned as she realized she wished it had been cooked by Spike. He would have spoiled her making it look like meat instead of a lizard on a stick. Against her better judgment, she accepted it and it surprisingly wasn’t bad. She was offered a stone cup with some warm liquid in it that reminded her of coffee which she accepted as well. Spike was offered warm blood, which he willingly drank and within a few minutes, they were full and content.

Buffy whispered thank you to Spike whom quickly translated it. She was wrapped up in Spike’s arms where she rested her head against his chest. Between the sound of his voice replying to the strange demon man and the feeling of his chest vibrating, she was put to sleep almost immediately trusting Spike to keep her safe from whatever and whoever wished to harm her.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike stayed up talking to Hanson the demon who had offered them shelter for the night. He had been trapped inside the silver ball for years now and had been there so long, he had almost forgotten what the real world was like. Spike spent some of the night sharing stories and adventures making a great friend and ally out of Hanson.

He learned some of what the world was like out there. The beasts and monsters that filled the woods were all deadly and filled the forest whether it was day or night. Some were meaner than others but all were aggressive and ready to kill anything that laid in their path. There were strange natives that captured and shot the demons they had found over the years. He said they were definitely not human and didn’t speak any language he understood. He had an encounter with them once but managed to get away as a large bear attacked them. He had since then been careful by building this shelter and staying in it minus an occasional hunt which he stayed local as to not to get lost or killed.

He said that life was hard here. It was more difficult than he could have even imagined. Death lay around every corner and you were trapped here with no way out. He said that Skuttles had trapped many demons and most had died. He was not sure but he thought one other group had lived through it and were about a mile from him. They were demons that had entered separated but quickly coupled off upon arrival. He hadn’t seen them in a few days though.

Spike promised to stop by and see them on their journey tomorrow. Hanson said that he had not found a way out but had been spending his years hiding in order to avoid death. He said the other demon couple did some traveling and might have more news than he had to offer. Hanson then said goodnight and disappeared into the back of his hut while Spike laid down wrapping his arms around Buffy. After making sure the duster covered them both, he fell asleep ignoring the thoughts that worried in the back of his mind.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike woke up to the smell of fresh blood and meat. He opened his eyes to see his new friend, Hanson cooking up their morning breakfast. Spike’s mouth watered as he gently kissed Buffy whispering, “Wake up luv. It’s almost breakfast time.”

Spike then sat up pulling Buffy gently with him talking to the demon in his language. He told him that they were very grateful for his hospitality and that he would owe him one. Hanson offered to take them to the other couple’s place and Spike agreed. The demon then split up the meal offering the cooked meat to Buffy and kept the mostly raw meat for himself, giving Spike the blood.

Together they ate the meal in silence while Buffy’s head went wild with not understanding what was being talked about around her. She wished she knew the language Spike and the demon was using but knew she couldn’t learn it even if Spike bothered to try to teach her. Language and her weren’t very mixy. She finished her meal as Spike took her plate handing it back to the demon speaking again in his language. Buffy sighed standing up wanting to get away from the foreign languages. They didn’t seem to notice as the demon disappeared and Spike turned to her, “There is another couple that survived. This is Skuttles’ enemy trap. He apparently traps those he considers his bloody enemies in here hoping they will be killed by the natives or eaten by the monsters of this world. I’m hoping the other couple that survived has more information about this bloody place than our friend Hanson does. Hanson doesn’t go out much so doesn’t know a bleeding thing more than what we do.”

Buffy nodded and glanced towards Hanson who returned wielding a stone knife, and some weird arrows made of something that appeared chiseled. Buffy simply accepted Spike’s held out hand and together they walked through the quickly rising sunlight. Spike and the demon talked while they walked but Buffy tuned them out to take in her surroundings.

She was alone in a place she understood no one where she had to depend on Spike to take care of her. She realized she had been doing that a lot lately. But she couldn’t figure out what that meant. Did that mean she was losing herself? She was becoming less independent? She rarely patrolled alone, she rarely spent a meal alone and more importantly, she never felt alone. She was totally used to Spike being there when she needed him. He’d either show up or was there when she called for him. She always had back up. The only time she didn’t was when he left for the day.

Perhaps it was time to rectify that. She was practically living with him anyway only with the clause of you disappear come sunlight. They were living the nightlife together with her friends knowing it. The only person who didn’t know was Giles. Even Angel knew although she wouldn’t have told him if she had the choice. Buffy paused in her thoughts as she lost her footing almost falling but was quickly caught and put upright within seconds so it almost appeared she didn’t even stumble.

She sighed knowing yet again Spike was always there to pick up the pieces and make her life right again. She realized she was ok with that unlike she had been in the past. Everyone needed someone and she hoped her someone would be Spike. He was her equal after all. For the first time in her life she was really dating someone who was her equal in every way. Even in the parts he excelled in, he wasn’t rubbing it in her face making her feel helpless or dependent. He never seemed bother by the things she could do better as well.

Angel and Riley had always tried to be better than she, playing the part of the hero. She had to pretend to be less of a warrior than she was and more of a female who was pathetic and weak. She was neither of those things and she smiled realizing that for once, she felt like she was herself. She glanced around feeling as though she had been walking forever when they finally stopped in front of another grass hut. The demon spoke something and two heads popped out and the sound of a baby crying hit her ears. She eyed Spike who just smiled and the three of them were allowed to enter the hut.


Chapter End Notes:
Until next time.