Author's Chapter Notes:
The daughter and the best friend. How am I going to make this work? There’ll be a significant focus on the trust issue, but just as much on the sordid love affair :)
Twenty one.

That was how old he’d been when he cradled her in his arms as a new born.

Fortunate.

That was how he’d felt holding her, the baby daughter of the man he considered older brother and mentor.

Eighteen.

Was how old she had just turned.

Bombshell.

Was the word of choice everyone used to describe her.

Thirty nine.

The birthday at which he realised he was done for.

~

‘I’m so sorry Mr. Summers. There was nothing the doctors could do.’

‘God.’

Bringing his hand to his brow, Liam Summers closed his eyes in resign as he took in the news of his.

‘How did the- Was there pain?’

‘No sir. The medications would have numbed them significantly.’

‘Can I see them?’

‘Of course sir, just this way.’

As though in a trance, he followed the young nurse down the hospital corridor where she led him into private room where the body of his beloved lay beneath a sheet. Pulling it back he leant forward to place a kiss on her forehead, struggling to hold back a sob. He remained still for just a moment, taking consolation in the familiar scent and softness of her skin. Hearing the nurse leaving to give him some peace, he quickly straightened.

‘Wait, nurse. The- the baby, why isn’t …I’d like to see…Was it a girl?’

Glancing down at the lifeless form before him, he gently cleared his throat.

‘We hoped it’d be a girl.’

The nurse’s brow furrowed for a moment before a small smile coloured her features.

‘Yes sir, you have a little girl. I was just about to bring her to you; she’s in the incubation ward. This is hardly the pl-’

Shaking his head in confusion, he looked with wonder at the nurse before him.

‘Girl? You mean she’s alive?’

‘Yes Mr. Summers. There were some complications but I believe she’s stablised now. I’m sorry I couldn’t bring her to you earlier. If you return to maternity waiting area I can have her brought out to you.’

Acknowledging the man’s nod, she gestured to the door before adding,

‘She’s waiting for you.’

~

Seeing the silhouette of his best mate returning to the waiting area, William Pratt rose from his seat in anticipation. He knew Darla’s pregnancy had been riddled with complications, but the lass he had grown to know was a fighter. Yet the expression he saw etched on Liam’s face phased him somewhat. But as the eyes of his friend raised to meet his, he knew the impossible had happened. He remained silent.

‘Will, she—she’s gone. Didn’t make it.’

Dropping his head in disbelief, he placed a comforting hand on Liam’s arm.

‘She was a special one. I’m sorry.’

But just as William was about to ask about the child, the young nurse spoke up,

‘Mr. Summers? Here she is. Your little girl. Congratulations.’

Offering the baby carefully to her father, she looked tentatively from his shaking arms to watering eyes.

‘Perhaps you should sit down.’

Feeling completely immobile in amazement and devastation, he turned to the young man beside him, gesturing for William to hold his baby daughter. William’s large blue eyes widened even further as he took in the sight of the new blonde cherub, gasping in pleasant surprise when her fragile eye lids flicked open to reveal deep emerald green eyes.
For a large portion of his life, William had surrounded himself with the dark and dangerous, but at this time he had never felt so fortunate that his path had taken the turn it had.

‘Beautiful, Liam. She’s perfect.’

~
Perfect.

He thought as he watched her descend the steps in a pair of killer black stiletto heels. Flicking back a structured, golden curl she stood at the base of the staircase with her hands behind her back.

‘So, what do you think?’

William took in the sight of her slim form and the figure hugging, mid-thigh, lace cream dress which covered it. Usually he prided himself on his ability to articulate his thoughts into words, but for once he didn’t seem to be able to think of any suitable.

Watching in amusement as her best friend/pretend big brother opened and closed his mouth; she felt a smirk begin to tinge her lips.

‘Hm, I take you approve?’

Taking a step closer to him, she gave him a sweeping glance from foot to head.

‘But I must say…I certainly approve.’

He shyly ducked his head, running a hand through his platinum hair.

‘Buffy. You- you look…breath-taking. So, so beautiful. I’m sorry- I just…I don’t. Amazing, love. Your mum would be so proud. I know it.’

She blinked at his mention of her mother before smiling softly and taking his elbow.

‘Thanks, Will. Come on, they told us to take our time getting there, but I don’t think they meant for us to be this late!’

~

‘HIP-HIP HOORAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUFFY!’
The Summers family and friends shouted over the thudding club music in the background.

William stood beside Liam, enchanted by the vision of a smiling Buffy illuminated by the soft glow of the eighteen candles which decorated the cake. Watching as she bent forward gracefully, pulling her blonde locks to one side to blow out the flames, he was pulled out of his revelry as he registered a sigh from the man next to him. Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he turned. The two men shared an understanding look of pride and wonder over the now, young woman, who had brought such light to their lives. Liam raised his glass.

‘To family?’

‘One like no other.’

Clink.

~

Seated away from the party at the emptiest spot of the bar she could find, Buffy stared down into the martini glass on the bar top in front of her. Eighteen. The last few months leading to her birthday and legally declared freedom had felt so painfully slow she had actually began to wonder if the day would ever come at all. Running the toothpick through salt which decorated the rim of the glass, she smiled recalling the image of her dad and William toasting when they thought she had been preoccupied candle-blowing. The two most important people in her life, they had always tried their hardest to make sure her childhood would be a fruitful one where she wouldn’t be too pained by the absence of her mother. But that didn’t mean that they completely overlooked her. The stories of her mother were amongst her most favourite of their family tales, and ones that she certainly appreciated hearing as she had grown. She hoped that she would be able to shape herself to take on some of her mother’s characteristics, the generosity she had heard so much about. Generosity. That was something that ran in their little ‘family’.
It was what had brought her dad and William together in the first place, or so she had gathered from the little she had been told.

When you’re a big girl Buffy. When you’re older, we’ll tell you everything.
It had been the same gramophone reply every time she’d asked. She chuckled quietly to herself. Big girl. If I’m not big enough now, I’ll never find out. And if they had told me before I’d gotten ‘big’ then maybe I wouldn’t be getting constantly distracted thinking about those sky-blue eyes and cheekbones, that tendon which bulges when he clenches his jaw, and the way the muscles and veins in his forearms twist when he —

‘You know… usually the guest of honour is supposed to out there…being honoured…by the guests.’

Shaken violently from her thoughts she exclaimed,
‘Oh! Jeez Spike! You know I hate it when you do that! Urg!’

With a laugh he took a seat on the bar stool next to her.
‘Sorry, love. Couldn’t resist I guess, you looked so…far off, and people were wondering where you’d—did you just call me Spike? How the hell did you hear about that name?’

‘Dad, actually. He slipped up a couple a times when we were talking about you. It’s a cool name, very…punk rocker,’ she added with a conclusive nod and cheeky grin.

‘You don’t know the half of it,’ he exhaled with a tilt of his head, the corner of his mouth lifting in a smile.

‘And it matches the hair I suppose. You should think about adding some eye-liner with tha—hey! Cut it out!’ she giggled as she dodged his playful punches.

‘Well pet, I’m glad you can get such a good laugh out of it,’ he said reaching over to pull her martini glass towards him. ‘Don’t mind do you?’

‘Uh, yes I do actually! Get your own!’ She tried slapping away the hand that grasped her wrist and held her at bay, giving up her struggle and swallowing hard as she watched his tongue dart out to sample her drink.

Giving her a smug look over the rim of the glass he replied, ‘Is technically mine love, I did pay for it after all.’

Laughing Buffy leaned over to give him a peck on a marble sculpted cheekbone,
‘I know, thank you for tonight Will. I haven’t thanked you yet.’

Shrugging he said, ‘Hardly the best present though. You never told me what you wanted in terms of the conventional wrapped-with-ribbon present.’

‘There’s nothing, really. This is perfect.’

With a sigh of content, Buffy again began playing with the abandoned toothpick as her previous thoughts returned to her and her smile slowly faded.
‘On second thought…but, no, no it still doesn’t fall under the wrapped-with ribbon category.’

‘You name it love, anything.’

Considering the blonde before her, she turned so she would be properly facing him.
‘Your story.’

‘Oh. Maybe not so anything.’

He’d hoped against all hope that she’d not raise the question about his past, dubious as it was. He wasn’t even fully aware of the reason why he was so uncomfortable with revealing his past to her. He had already told her everything else about himself. He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck as he fought against the thrall of her eyes, wide with frustration tinged with a touch of hope.

‘What?! Oh Will, come on! You have got to be kidding me. My God, how much longer to I have to wait? Did you and dad actually plan to tell me ever?’
She jumped down from the stool in a huff and turned away, pouting, her irritation ebbing off her in waves.

‘Buff- sweetheart. Wait. Look, I’ll- I guess…there’s no harm in telling you a bit. But, just for a while, let’s just keep what I have to say between ourselves yeah?’

At this she turned back to him, brow furrowed before she fully registered his consent. Her delicate features lit up with a smile,
‘You mean, like a secret? Sure!’

~


Chapter End Notes:
shall i continue? please let me know :)