‘Would that be red or white for this evening?’

She looked at him expectantly, not saying a word.

He turned from the waiter and returned her expression, his eyes sparkling with amusement and a smirk playing on his lips.

‘Red,’ he paused to check that he’d answered correctly then added, ‘Of course.’

After the waiter had left, they continued to consider each other across the table, an interesting blend of affection and sexual tension simmering between them. His gaze never moved from hers when he reached into his pocket.

‘As a very intelligent, young woman once told me, “White for the light of day, and red for the heat of night.”’

The corner of her mouth lifted in a coy smile and she nodded in approval.

‘You remembered. I’m impressed.’

She looked down at the black velvet box he’d placed in front of her.

‘What is that?’

His voice was richer and his accent thicker than she’d ever heard it before.

‘Why don’t you open it and find out.’

The casing revealed a slender, bright silver key which had been strung on a delicate chain of white gold. Her lips parted in a muted gasp and she admired its shape before looking up at William questioningly. He choked back a laugh,

‘It’s a key.’

‘Thanks, I was totally flummoxed,’ she deadpanned. Rolling her eyes, she reached over to poke his shoulder, ‘I can see that you…you British bonehead! What is it a key to? What does it open?!’

Crossing his arms, William sat back in the couch seat of their little booth. ‘Since you were so rude, you don’t get to find that out!’

‘I was rude?! And what are you now? Five years old?’

Lips pouted, he lifted his chin in defiance. Her posture slumped and she heaved a sigh. She knew how stubborn he could be, but her curiosity got the better of her and she knew she had to make good. She looked at him with wide eyes and an angelic smile.

‘I’m sorry, Will. You know I adore you. Forgive me?’

He looked away, trying to fight the grin he could feel pushing outwards.

‘You’re partially forgiven. Partially.’

‘So will you tell me what the key opens now?’

‘My new apartment.’

Her brow furrowed. She loved his apartment. Well, old apartment now. Sure it was small, but it had been homely, comfy. And they’d spent a lot of fun-filled, movie watching, star gazing nights there together. When she felt his hand touch hers, she realised that her obvious lack of excitement had concerned him.

‘Requirement of the job I’m afraid, pet. All a part of the promotion. It’s still in the same building though.’

Looking back up at him, her eyes widened,

‘What promotion?’

He ducked his head shyly and rubbed the back of his neck, ‘It’s really not a big deal.’

With an excited squeal, she pulled him towards her across the table, but suddenly remembering where they were and she settled for planting a big, unsuspicious kiss on his cheek.

‘Of course it’s a big deal, you crazy man! That’s so awesome, well done!’

Once the excitement had begun to settle in, Buffy looked back down at the key sparkling away against the black fabric and she felt her smile started to fade. She had a key to his old apartment, but it hadn’t been given to her with such ceremony. This was symbolic. Things were different. She touched the delicate chain; it was also clearly meant to be a necklace. Why did everything have to be so cryptic? A dozen thoughts fluttered through her mind; a key to his new home. To be worn next to her heart. A key to his heart?

‘Will…I—we…what are we going to…I mean, as much as—I just don’t know how we can—’

‘We don’t have to do anything you’re not comfortable with, sweetheart. Nothing has to change.’

Buffy looked at him incredulously before she softened, ‘Everything’s already changed. There’s no way in the world I could go back to the way things were, I…I want to be with you.’

William felt his heart soar at her admission, but he quickly tethered it down. He had to finish making his point, but most of all; he had to bring “him” up. Liam. If there was any chance they could make this work, they couldn’t hide their thoughts about him like they would be hiding their feelings for each other from Liam. Too many secrets never led to anything good.

‘I want to be with you too, Buffy. So, so much. But you have to understand, and it’s not just about the age thing. As hard as we try, this won’t—’

‘Dad, I know. He’ll find out, eventually,’ her voice was almost a whisper.

‘And it’ll hurt him, pet. Terribly. I can’t do that, not after everything he’s given me. He gave me you. Literally handed you over to me the day you were born…to protect you, to keep you away from harm. He’ll find out, pet, and when he does it’s gonna hurt him and it’s going hurt to you, and I don’t want that to happen. I don’t want to hurt you.’

Buffy backed slightly away from the table, sitting up straighter. She blinked and her eyes flashed with something he couldn’t quite name.

‘What are you saying?’

He reached over to cover her hand with his,‘I just want you to be sure, sweetheart. That’s all. You’ll be at university soon, and you’re just starting out with your life—’

William realised he’d dug himself into a hole when she quickly took her hand away and fixed him with a sharp glare. Her voice was strained as she held down the lump of emotion which steadily rose in her throat.

‘How can you say that after the other night? There’s no one else, Will. Understand that. I know what I want, and what I want is you. Just you, I’m sure of that. You won’t hurt me.’

‘Buffy, you can’t know that—’

‘No. No, William. You are wrong,’ he flinched as she raised her voice. But more so at her use of his full name; ever since she was young, the only time she’d call him ‘William’ was when she was unhappy with something he’d done.

Buffy glanced around realizing she’d started to draw attention to herself in the intimate setting of the small restaurant. She exhaled slowly to calm herself and lowered her voice.

‘I love my father, I really do. But if he can’t see what we have, if he can’t understand…that you are the person to protect me from all the crap out there then maybe he hasn’t thought properly about what it is that’s best for me. I lo—’

She caught herself quickly. Those words just didn’t have the same meaning they’d held before; they were so much more complicated, too complicated for them to address now. No, she knew that he knew how she felt about him; there was no need for her to have to say it as well. She cleared her throat,

‘I am sure’.

Well, he thought to himself that certainly seemed to have cleared the unspoken air between them. William knew that it’d be impossible for them to be fully prepared for whatever would come their way if they went ahead with this. He knew it was a crass way of putting it, but he supposed that they'd just have to cross that bridge whenever they came to it. But he also knew that he’d always been helpless when it came to matters of the heart. And his belonged truly, and entirely to Buffy. He closed the lid of the velvet box and placed her hands over it with his on top.

‘Okay then.’

~

It was only a minute later when their meals and wine were brought out to them and their dinner continued without a hitch. In the muted lighting, William took in every ounce of the beauty and grace that radiated off her. Her eyes were bright with utter content and the way she’d touch his hand gently as they spoke made him feel so cherished.

But by the time they’d reached dessert and he’d refused her a third glass of wine (just to be safe) Buffy had begun to deploy her arsenal of tricks to try to persuade him otherwise. She giggled in delight as his eyes widened in surprise when she ran the toe of one blood-red pump up his calf, dragging the fabric of his pants along with it. He busied himself with the cheesecake in an effort to distract himself from the feel of her delicate ankle now rubbing the side of his knee.

‘Will?’

He looked up at the sound of her voice; coy, suggestive and most definitely up to something. He swallowed hard,

‘Mm-hm?’

She toyed with her fork, swirling it through the dollop of whipped cream.

‘Back on the topic of apartments…can I…stay with you tonight?’

He held back a smile and caught her ankle as she continued to run it along the outside of his leg. Gently massaging the soft skin, he smirked when she bit down on her lip to restrain a moan. God, she was so gorgeous like this.

‘Does Miss Summers require constant supervision?’

She swiped just the tip of her thumb on the corner of her plate and sucked away the raspberry sauce.

‘She does.’

With a gulp he wondered how she always managed to turn the tables on him. Perhaps it was time to go home.

While William arranged the bill, she pulled out her phone to message her dad about her plans to stay away from home for the night. Though her conscience niggled away at her as she composed the usual ‘Staying over with Will’, she reasoned that she was being perfectly honest after all. But she was halfway through when another message came in. It read;

All set for fl. Call me tonight. yfc xo.

Oh.

YFC; Your Favourite Cousin as Faith had dubbed herself.

One and a half weeks ago she would have skipped and jumped in joy. But at that moment, she felt her heart sink.

Oh no.

~

to be continued...