17 hours earlier…

‘But Buffy, we’ve been talking about this trip for ages! It won’t be any fun without you. Please don’t leave me alone with Faith and Robin’s never-ending “ Poochy-Woochy, Cookie, Cupcake, Teddy-bear Bubble-bee!”’

Buffy moved across Faith’s bedroom to sit next to her youngest cousin on the bed.

‘I know, and I’m really sorry Cordy. But I really don’t think I’m up for it. I’ve just been so exhausted lately; I’d just crash completely if I went tomorrow,’ she sniffed and kept up her rough-edged voice to strengthen her façade of sickness.

Leaning against her adjoining bathroom door, Faith rolled her eyes at her sister’s complaints before seriously considering the bombshell blonde seated beside her. Something was up. This trip had originally been Buffy’s idea all along. No matter what the occasion was, it wasn’t like her not to see her plans through. She righted herself and cleared her throat.

‘Look sweetie, why don’t you go next door and ask Parker if he wants to come since he’s home alone for the rest of the week? We can change the ticket details online.’

Cordelia’s sulky expression slightly brightened at her big sister’s suggestion and she gave Buffy one last saddened look before leaving the room and bounding down the stairs. Positive that Cordy was well on her way, Faith flew over to the bed and grabbed Buffy’s arm, pulling her into her bathroom and securing the door behind them.

‘Faith! What the hell are you—’ Faith pointed a finger at her cousin, ‘Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on you…not-so-little-lady!’ ‘I—’ ‘Nuh-uh! You’re not tired!...Well, definitely not because you’re sick!’

Buffy felt her heart rate quicken, her heartbeat louder. She’d known Faith to be freakishly perceptive sometimes, but there was no way she could know. But then, she supposed, that didn’t mean she couldn’t suspect…

‘Fai—’

Jumping up to sit on the bench-top, Faith grabbed her hairbrush and pointed it at her, waving it along to emphasise her words.

‘No, B. I’m talkin’. Something happened didn’t it?!’

Faith nodded slowly, both knowingly and accusingly when Buffy struggled to find the words.

‘Yeah, that’s right, somethin’ happened! And now you’re gonna use these four days to sexy it up with Will, aren’t you?! Don’t think I don’t know!’

Buffy’s eyes just about fell out head at her cousin’s bluntness and she scrambled for an explanation. While she trusted that Faith, above all others, would never tell another soul about her secret and not pass judgement, she couldn’t help but automatically deny it all. After all, the least people who knew, the longer they wouldn’t have to worry about being found out.

‘Faith, that’s completely insane! There’s no wa—’

‘De-Nile is not a river that flows through Egypt!’

‘Huh?’

Faith furrowed her brow and quickly shook her head at her poorly constructed pun. She’d definitely been watching too much T.V.

‘Look, B. The fact that you haven’t told me a thing about what happened after you threw him out that night says everything! Come on sweetie, how the hell did this happen?! You know you can tell me anything.’

It was useless. She folded. Heaving a sigh, she sat heavily on the edge of her cousin’s bathtub and dropped her head in her hands. Her hair fell in a luscious golden curtain around her shoulders. She missed watching the brunette’s features light up with a mix of excitement and disbelief that her suspicions had proved to be true.

‘Holy crap Summers, you did!’ she exclaimed, and ended with an exaggerated gasp.

She flew off the bench-top and went to kneel at her cousin’s feet, grabbing hold of her hands. Buffy’s voice was touched with desperation.

‘Please Faith, you can’t tell anyone. I just wanted to surprise him. We haven’t been able to have any proper time together. And with university starting so soon, we won’t have any time at all.’

‘Of course sweetie, I promise I won’t breathe a word! But practically B, how are you gonna make this work? The taxi’s coming before both our parents leave for work. So it’s not like you can just stay home!’

She took an uneven breath, Faith’s level-headness helping to steady her nerves.

‘Well, I figured I could get out at the diner around the corner. It’s on the way and close enough for me to be able to walk back home after Dad’s left for work, then I can make my way to his apartment.’

‘Alright, just remember, the flight’s about five hours so you’re a no show until around two o’clock. And I’m just joking with you B, you know I’m not really mad,’ she gave Buffy a comforting smile. ‘So now you have to tell me what happened that night!’ she ended with excited squeal.

Buffy frowned playfully at her cousin and shoved her shoulder.

‘Well you seem to have worked out just fine what happened. What more do you want? Every minute detail?’ she asked in a sarcastic scoff.

‘Yes! That’s exactly what I want! I want you to tell me…’ Faith’s growing smile was infectious, her eyes wide and looking around as if searching for questions, ‘How did it happen?! How many times?! Where?!’

Buffy’s cheeks turned bright red at her bold questions and she repeated incredulously, ‘Where?!’

Faith looked up at her as if it were the most obvious question in the world, ‘Yeah, where! Like…I dunno…the bed? The…’ She looked around again and indicated to surface Buffy was seated on, ‘…bath?’

She felt the blush spread up to the tips of her ears and realised that she’d made a mistake when she looked down quickly. Faith’s excitement reading was scaling off the charts and her jaw dropped in understanding. She slapped the side of Buffy’s leg and laughed out loud.

‘You’re kidding me! Oh. My. God!’

~

Back in the present…

‘So you faked sick, arranged another taxi then went to the diner so your Dad would think that you were still going?’

Still sitting on the ledge, Buffy handed him the bottle of cologne she’d been sniffing. She bit her lip, feeling bad that she hadn’t completely told him the truth. She knew he’d completely freak at the thought that someone else knew, but she knew that she could trust her cousin.

‘Yeah?’

‘Right,’ he looked at her with one eyebrow raised then ventured tentatively, ‘So…what will you do for the next two days while I’m at work?’

He held back a laugh as he watched her eyes grew wide and she asked darkly, ‘What do you mean?’

‘You know Wednesday’s are my day off, pet. But tomorrow it’s back to the salt mines.’

Holding the towel knotted around his hips, he jumped back with a giggle when she grabbed a nearby towel and begun to swat him with it, chasing him in the direction of the bedroom and telephone.

‘Call them! Now! Right now!’

~

to be continued...