That afternoon…

‘Will’s got a what?!’

She clutched her mobile to her ear, her eyes flying open wide and as she fixed William with a disbelieving but fiery glare. He looked back at her in pure confusion, mouthing his question, ‘What? What have I got?’

The excitement in Liam’s voice was unmistakable from the other end of the line.

‘Yeah! A girlfriend! Can you believe it?’

Buffy narrowed her eyes in William’s direction as she asked her father, ‘Who is she?’

‘I don’t... know; I didn’t actually see her.’

She furrowed her brow, her lips raised with a quirk, ‘Oh...so how do you know?’

‘Ah... You see, this morning I went to visit him at his new place and I er…I kind of…well, heard them…together. You know…’

Her jaw dropped and her hand flew up to cover her mouth. She didn’t have a clue how to react when William took a step closer, all she could do was raise her hand to stop him from getting any nearer. They’d basically been caught right in the act, it didn’t even register as a close shave! Her dad had heard them having sex! She was grateful that he’d obviously missed their passionate shouting of names, but still! What daughter could stomach the thought of being caught by a parent?! She looked at him desperately, her hand now waving as she mouthed clearly, ‘Oh my God! Shit!’. But through the hail of inner panic, she remembered that she still had a part to play.

‘Dad! Oh my God! Gross much?! I’m pretty sure there’s some rule that says that father’s can’t ever talk about things like that with their daughters! And anyway, I thought I told you not to call me and that I’d call you!’

‘But I had news! I thought you’d like to know.’

She rolled her eyes and fell backwards onto the couch with a groan.

‘Yes, Dad. Thank you for sharing that oh-so fascinating piece of information with me and disrupting my relaxing holiday beach time! Look, I’m sure Will was going to tell us anyway and now you’ve gone and spoilt his surprise!’

‘Oh…didn't think of that. I’m sorry, Buff. I guess I was just excited for him, I thought you'd be excited for him too, that’s all. Anyway, you go and enjoy yourself.’

She worried her bottom lip between her teeth and let out a sigh.

‘I am excited for him, I just don't think that would have been the way he'd want us to find out...sorry, I didn't mean to get all shouty-ish at you... I'll call you tomorrow okay? Love you, Daddy.’

‘Love you too, baby girl. Look out for each other.’

Flopping backwards, Buffy disconnected the call and stared up at the ceiling, recovering from the all the shocks it had caused her. She looked at William when he went to sit next to her, lifting her legs and then placing them on his lap.

‘How’d you like to fill a fella in, love?’

She lifted one hand to massage her temple.

‘Well, first he told me you had a girlfriend. That’s why I was...with the death glare-age…’

The corner of his mouth lifted in an amused grin and he laughed, ‘A girlfriend? How’d he figure tha—’

His grin instantly faded as he tied two and two together. He suddenly remembered the conversation they'd had about the supplies for the apartment, Liam must have come to drop them off and… So that’s what Buffy had been so uncomfortable talking about with Liam.

‘He was here?! He heard us?!’

‘Yeah…?' she said carefully before she sat up quickly. 'But it’s okay! He doesn’t suspect a thing!’

‘But Buffy—’

She put a comforting hand on his arm, ‘We’re safe, Will. We just have to…be extra careful. Maybe you should just call him up… and suggest that he not come around uninvited for the next few days.’

She handed him the phone handset with a wiry smile.

~

One hour later...

Head and arms rested on the edge of the pool, Buffy looked out at the bustling city thirty-three floors below. Her toes just brushed the bottom. She didn’t have to turn around know that he’d entered the pool and was wading towards her. Her eyes closed at the feel of his warm hands massaging her waist under the water and his lips brushing along her shoulders.

‘Did you want to do anything special tonight, pet?’ he asked in a sotto voice.

Her head tilted to one side at the sensation of his voice tingling against her skin.

‘Are you sure that’s a good idea? Going out?’

He lifted his head to rest his chin on her right shoulder, fingers stroking at her navel.

‘Mmm…we don’t have to go out. I just had a quick look in the paper, your favourite movie’s on tonight.’

She turned to him with a gasp. ‘It is?’

He smiled softly, blue eyes glinting the same way the water did in the sunlight.

‘Yeah, I was thinking…maybe we could order up some of your favourite take out to go along with it.’

‘You have the most perfect ideas.’

She pulled him in for a deep kiss, only to break away struggling for breath as he kissed her neck and she jumped up to wrap her legs around his waist. The cold tiles pressed against her back and the heat of his body playing havoc with her nerve endings. She moved her head back to look at him properly, and whispered, their lips just touching, ‘Let’s go back inside.’

~

William couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt so entirely at peace; Buffy resting in his lap, Buffy stroking his hand, Buffy all around him, Buffy with him. Nothing about this situation was new, but the emotion was potent. They were really together. A couple. Lovers. The gentle guitar melody from the television drew his attentions back to the screen.

‘Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in style some day. Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,wherever you're going I'm going your way…’

Sighing, Buffy never took her eyes away from the black and white picture.

‘She’s so pretty.’

He ran his fingers through her hair, gently massaging her scalp.

‘Yeah, she is. But you’re beautiful.’

He saw her cheeks flush with a light pink and she turned to look up at him.

‘You-you really think so?’

He’d never understand how completely unaware of herself she was. He supposed it was just a part of what made her so special.

‘You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met.’

Everything about him just radiated honesty and adoration, his voice so gentle and intimate. Buffy raised her hand to cradle his cheek, running a feather light touch over a razor sharp cheekbone.

‘You’re sweet…and also not so bad yourself.’

She turned back to the screen when she saw his playful, cocky demeanor settle in. It wasn’t a side of him she got to see often, but she made a mental note to praise him more often if it meant she could see that eyebrow raise and lips twitch in a way which gave her tingles all over. Pulling the rug up to her chin, she snuggled against his leg. She knew she could never feel this way with another person. She just wanted to bask in the wonder of this feeling, part of her mourning the contact when everything would return to normal. But she wouldn’t think about that now, not with the way he tenderly stroked her arms and kept glancing down at her like she was the most precious thing in the world. Nothing could be better than this.

~

hah they thought that was a good as it got.
to be continued...