Emerging from the bathroom, William made his way down the stairs toweling his hair dry when he noticed Buffy seated at the kitchen island cradling a mug of steaming liquid. As he approached, she turned to glance at him. Their expressions showing that they knew what had to be said. Leaning with his back against the sink, his body faced hers but looking down at the floor, he spoke first,

‘We should probably talk.’

‘I know.’

Looking up from her drink she watched as he struggled with his thoughts. With a large sigh touched with annoyance, she decided it was ridiculous.

‘Oh, just say it. We kissed, Will. You and me. With the bursting flames and the… bursting flames. I know you’re going to say something about how we can never let it happen again, how nothing good could ever come of—’

‘Buffy, we ca—’

‘And I’m okay with that,’ she looked down adding quietly, ‘because I know what I felt.’ Meeting his gaze she continued again with certainty, ‘You can say whatever you like, but if you dare say it was a mistake…I—I could never forgive you. We both know it was the furthest thing from a mistake.’

Head tilted, it dawned on him exactly how much of a young woman she become. And receiving a tight slap from his mental self, he realised just how much this side of her had made him want her even more. She’d felt it too. God, the way she looked sitting across from him, her eyes so determined and fiery. He just wanted to pull her onto the counter and show her exactly how much she meant to him. But, she did mean the world to him. Which was why he’d reached his decision. If they took this any further, his conscious would eventually get the better of him. He’d only cause her pain.

‘I can’t lie to you, pet. I think—I felt it too. But, what we felt then, we can’t let it—if I don’t say it, then we’ll… want more. Everything would change, and probably not for the best. I’m sorry Buffy, I never wanted to hurt you, but kissing you…we made a mista—’

‘Get out.’

He visibly flinched at the iciness in her voice and crossed his arms as if trying to shield himself. Heaving a sigh he looked from the angered blonde before him to the direction of the front door. He couldn’t leave them like this; he couldn’t get back to his apartment anyway, since that was where his car was. He’d made such a mess of it. Righting himself, he started to walk to the door.

‘I am sorry, Buff.’

Still perched on her stool, she glared at his departing back. But it was as if the image of his open, shining, sky-blue eyes had been burned onto her corneas. She bit the inside of her cheek, physically twisting and squirming with indecision as she tried to choose her next move. She knew what she wanted to do, but she couldn’t. Could she? As always, he’d been right. Dropping her head back with a groan of frustration she decided.

The world could go and screw itself.

Nerves steeled, she caught up to him in a few quick strides and grabbed his wrist to turn him around. Standing on her toes, she pulled him down to her with her free hand around the back of his neck. She felt the spark between them ignite as she crushed their lips together with as much passion as she could muster. Feeling him respond, she sucked sweetly on his bottom lip; then pulled away. She wanted to slap the hell out of him.

‘Last night you told me that you’ve made a lot of mistakes in your life. Tell me they made you feel the way you felt just then.’

She didn’t want him to answer, just wanted to make a point. So she pulled open the front door and pushed him out, slamming it shut before he could say a word. Falling back against the door, she looked around the house trying to figure out exactly what she’d done. She couldn’t do it by herself; she had to make a phone call.

~

Running his tongue along his bottom lip he tasted her apple-infused lip balm and stared at the closed door in front of him.

She’d actually thrown him out.

Sitting on the ledge of the porch, he pulled out his new lighter and looked up into the night sky wishing for a cigarette.

She never ceased to amaze him.

~

Settling down on the couch she dialed the number of her favourite cousins, catching sight of William outside as she listened to the dial tone.

‘Hi, this is Cordelia.’

‘Cordy! Hey, could I talk to big sis?’

‘Sure, Buff.’

Waiting for her youngest cousin to hand over the phone, she arranged the curtains so that she could watch him from her position. He didn’t look too…he didn’t really look anything. He was just sitting there, looking up at the sky. She heaved a sigh as she took in the sight of the moonlight highlighting his sharp features. She felt bad for second, wondering if he was cold without a jacket. But her frustration quickly returned when she realised that the nights had been warmer.

‘Hey B! It’s been ages!’

‘Faith? Oh thank God, I need your help.’

‘You? Need help? Jeez, the world must be ending.’

‘Huh? What? Oh no, it’s just…I don’t know what to do.’ ‘Do about what?’

Sighing again, Buffy slumped in the couch, preparing herself for her cousin’s inevitable excited reaction by holding the speaker further away from her ear.

‘I- I kissed Will..?’

‘You did what?! I can’t believe it! You little skank-erina! How was it?! I bet it was awesome! The man has the lips of a God!’

‘What?! No! No! Well, I mean yes…but no! That’s not the issue! You’re supposed to be helping me here. I think I screwed up.’

‘Hey relax babe, no need to get all antsy. All you did was kiss him right? I mean, I get the whole awkwardness thing, the man’s practically your older brother. Given, a significantly older but smokin’ hot with lips of God brother—’

‘Will you let me finish? Yeah, there was like…a second of awkwardness after the first time, bu—’

‘Woah! First time? How many times are we talking about?’ ‘Just twice…well, two and half? No, no half. But the second time, it was more to prove a point and then I got kinda worked up and I threw him out.’

‘You threw him out?! You didn’t even give the poor guy a chance to say anything?’

‘Well…no. And now he’s just sitting outside. I mean, what do I do? I can’t exactly just leave him there all night; he doesn’t exactly look like he’ll be leaving anytime soon.’

‘He’s still there? That’s perfect then, go and let him talk, hear what he has to say. Then you can figure out what to do next. Although...you know if it was me I wouldn’t bother with the talking. I’d just pull him in and jump his bo—’

All of a sudden a racket sounded in the background and Buffy heard the muffled thud of an explosion and shouting.

‘Sorry, B. I gotta go, Cordy and Parker just broke the microwave and now there’s this fire thing. Just go talk to him. And take detailed notes about everything that happens after, I wanna hear everything!’

Staring at the handset, Buffy hung up and threw it onto the pillow at her feet then looked out the window. She knew, amongst all the insanity her cousin had said that she was right about the talking. She hadn’t been fair with him; so now she would be. Grabbing her cardigan in the hall, she quietly opened the front door and took a deep breath. There was a slight chill in the air.

~

to be continued...