Author's Chapter Notes:
Still looking for a beta. If anyone is interested in betaing this story for me let me know. But for now enjoy!

Chapter 5: The Initiative



Buffy held her breath as Kingsley knocked out a scientist stealing his identification. Buffy’s fears had been realized when they saw the scientists outside the complex. It was indeed the Initiative. She could feel Spike’s hand squeeze hers gently as though trying to calm both of their nerves. Spike seemed even more edgy than Buffy because he knew he couldn’t defend himself. She watched as Kingsley got them into the building and donned the jacket of the scientist. They were all wearing simple lightweight clothing as to allow for them to pretend to be scientists in case their cover was blown. She shuddered as all the memories of the place came flooding back. She remembered Riley and Dr., Walsh as well as Adam and the zombies they created.

Buffy closed her eyes hoping that those kinds of things weren’t going on anymore. She opened her eyes feeling Spike put his hand on her back guiding her down the hallway. She scarcely allowed herself to breathe as they passed the scientists who were busy taking notes or talking among themselves. Spike stepped ahead and motioned the group to follow him as he led them to the cells. In order to get to the cells, they had to pass through large doors that lead to the experimental rooms. It appeared that the place that had once been destroyed had been carefully rebuilt to look like the old place she and Spike remembered.

Buffy paused to look down from the top of the stairs over the makeshift rooms. On one table was a black demon with spikes that was awake but strapped to a table and they were doing something to it that appeared through the glass as though they were making him scream although Buffy could not hear the sound herself. She glanced to the room next to it and saw a smaller version of the demon, which she could only guess was its mate, not being touched at all but still screaming. Spike looked at where her eyes were aimed and he spoke gently to her, “Mates feel each other’s pain. They feel everything the other does. They feel every ounce of joy, sorrow, pain and worry you have. It’s supposedly pretty intense and creates a strong bond between two people like nothing ever experienced.”

Buffy braved the question she had been wanting to ask him for the last few months ever since Tasha and Kingsley introduced the word mated to her. She knew now was not the proper time but she asked it anyway unable to help herself, “Why didn’t you mate with Dru?”

Spike spoke simply as his voice held no emotion, “It has to be mutual. Dru was too crazy to feel anything including love.”

Buffy was sorry she asked as soon as she heard the answer but she had been curious. She glanced over at all the demons being worked on and similar tests were being done. Spike spoke softly into her ear again, “The humans seem to be curious as to how the bond works. Apparently the reality that blood makes a person who they are isn’t enough for them. The claim works by the blood being inside of the system of the chosen mate. Therefore they are always connected. Blood is everything.”

Buffy frowned wishing the Initiative had been shut down properly the first time. No one deserved to be tested on. If it was evil, you kill it to protect the good. If it wasn’t evil then you left it alone. She was having issues with the whole line between what makes a person evil or not but this was not the time to think about it. She felt Spike tug on her hand slightly and fell in step beside him as they continued down the stairs.

The room was buzzing with excitement as scientists and other men walked around with clipboards, guns and other equipment. It made her sick to her stomach to think of humans experimenting and testing on demons. She frowned but followed Spike out of the door past an observation station, which had cameras focused on the demons she had seen being tested on. The three scientists who were wearing headphones, appeared to be taking notes. She shuddered as Spike guided her past the room and in front of a large white door.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



It took knocking out two more scientists to get access to the cells. The coats were quickly donned and a third joined the knocked out pile as Buffy pulled on the smaller coat. At least now if the glamour wore off, they might be taken for scientists although it was quite obvious even with the coats that Tasha and Kingsley were demons.

Entering the cell room, the walls were lined with cells and within each were many demons. One side of the room were cells containing females with their types labeled on the doors and along the wall across from them, were the male versions of the females. Again they were properly labeled or as properly as humans could manage. She heard Spike growl lightly as she put a hand on his arm to calm him. Kingsley turned around questioning the group, “How do we open these?”

Buffy frowned noticing some of the cells contained vampires and releasing vampires into this place would be like opening up a feast. She glanced towards Spike who nodded signaling he was thinking the same thing. He tried to slide the card on the first cell he came across which held a black demon but the lights stayed red signaling the card wasn’t high enough. He growled banging his hand against the plastic ignoring the shock that went through his system. He glanced around the room and watched all the demons. They were pacing or looking around. Some had just curled up in a corner of the room awaiting their torment. He remembered what that was like, the anxiety of not knowing what would happen next. He growled again then grew quiet as a scientist entered the room. She spoke into her walky-talky, “Hostile 78 looks to be asleep. His drugged food has been consumed. He is ready for testing.”

Buffy gasped but Spike put his hand over her mouth knowing they couldn’t be seen but could still be heard as they watched the scientist swipe her card. Spike quietly snuck up behind the scientist grabbing her card while Kingsley knocked her out. Buffy apologized to the lady dragging her aside as to make it not be obvious she wasn’t at her post and Spike went to work glancing into the cells to find the cell they wanted. Buffy didn’t say anything until they found the proper cell. She yelled, “Here! It’s over here! Come quickly. She looks awake and just like you Tasha.”

Just then the door swung open alerting the scientist to their presence since the beeping of a door occurred along with Buffy’s yelling. The scientist yelled, “Who’s there?”

She slammed off the light hitting a large red button that Buffy guessed resulted in a panic alert. She heard Spike mutter, “Oh Balls.”

As the lights flashed on and off and the room sealed off, Buffy glanced around grabbing Spike’s hand in hers hoping that the spells still were in tact. Within minutes, the room was full of noise as the doors slammed open only to produce armed men in military uniforms. Buffy couldn’t control the gasp from her mouth again but this time it was not noticed, as the room was already full of noise.

She glanced around as the scientist told what had she had heard and Spike made for the open door just as it closed locking them in the room with about five armed men and two scientists that were talking. Buffy watched as they put masks over their faces and she heard the distinct sound of gas protruding from the ceiling. Spike covered her mouth with his giving her a kiss to stop her from breathing in the gas but it couldn’t be helped. Within a minute or two, Buffy fell into his arms passed out and as he caught her, the card dropped to the floor with a slight clank of metal.

Their cover was blown and within minutes the gas created an environment that the spells wouldn’t last in so the two demons were passed out cold on the ground and Spike was spotted holding his passed-out girl in his arms looking at the people in the room. Spike hoisted Buffy into his arms and over his shoulder to free his body for combat as he took on the armed men. He kicked one into the room knocking him out but his head soared with pain he tried to ignore until he felt two bullets hit his back hard luckily on the opposite side of Buffy. He knew he was on trouble and they were shooting at him and could hit Buffy. He held up his arms stating, “I surrender. Don’t bloody shoot anymore. She’s just a girl.”

One of the armed men came forward still in the attention mode. He spoke full of authority and strength, “Give me the girl and willingly be locked up and we will not harm you or her.”

Spike growled, “Let the girl stay with me and I’ll go into your little glass cage willingly as long as you promise not to hurt any of us.”

The man nodded as another stepped forward opening up a glass cell ushering Spike who was still carrying Buffy into the cell. As the doors locked behind him, Spike spoke up, “Get the sodding gas out of here you ignorant solider boys before you kill her!”

He roared to make his point and he heard the beeping followed by a rush of cold air. It was cold causing Buffy to shiver but at least it was fresh and not filled with gas anymore. He curled up in the corner of the cell holding Buffy whispering, “Buffy, luv, it’s time to get up. We are in big trouble here and I really need you to wake up. Can you do that for me luv? Bloody Hell wake up please!”

He was running his hands over her body trying to arouse her from her sleep and on his last statement he cupped her face placing a kiss on her lips. She didn’t respond and he leaned down listening to her heartbeat steady and strong and felt her breath on his face knowing she was still alive. He growled, laying her down and stood up kicking the wall ignoring the pain that shot through his foot and then slammed his hands into the glass panel feeling the zap flow through him until he heard Kingsley across the room state, “Spike save your strength. We are going to need it.”

Spike looked through the glass to see Kingsley holding his head but waking up in a cell. He could see many male demons and knew he was on the female side probably because of Buffy. He rushed over to her side stating, “Kingsley woke up luv. Please slayer, you are stronger than this. Wake up!”

He felt the tears sting his eyes as he glanced down at her shivering body holding her close letting the tears fall.