Author's Chapter Notes:
Last chapter for now. Look for the last two next week!

Chapter 6: The Place of Nightmares



Spike wiped his eyes as a scientist entered the room. The scientist swiped his card removing another demon from his cell as he was sleeping. Spike knew what would happen next. They would be strapped to a table and probably cut open along with who knows what else. He felt Buffy stir and he held her tight whispering to her, “Buffy, pet, I got you. I got you.”

He rocked her as she opened her eyes glancing up into his blue eyes with a slight smile. She noticed the worry in his eyes and closed her eyes as her head felt like it was swimming and then it came back to her in flashes. She was in the Initiative and had been detected. There was gas pouring out and then there was black. She tried to stand up with Spike’s help and then turned around facing him, “Oh my God, we are stuck in a cell! What will happen to us?”

Spike staggered slightly as the pain from the bullets in him finally hit him and Buffy noticed and pulled him down and grimaced at the blood pouring out of his wounds. She yelled out, “He was shot. Can’t someone come and take out the bullets?”

Spike shook his head, “They don’t bloody care about bullets. They know they won’t kill vampires.”

Buffy frowned as she tried to gage how deep they were in, “Want me to see if I can pull them out?”

Spike nodded lying down on his stomach allowing her to dig her fingers into his wounds. He growled and pounded the floor slightly in pain but Buffy being as strong as she was, managed to pull out both bullets throwing them in the corner. She glanced at the wounds knowing it would make him not strong as she held her wrist until her mouth, “Here take just a little just to heal yourself. I really need you full strength so I can worry about getting us out of here without worrying about you withholding their attacks.”

Spike sighed but relented gently biting on her wrist closing his eyes at the blood. He took just two sips then sealed the wound. She smiled leaning back against him knowing she trusted him. He wrapped his arms around her as she studied their predicament. There were tons of cells with demons being taken out once they were drugged. She sighed as she felt Spike stir behind her. She felt Spike get up pulling something out of his pants pockets. Spike knelt down in front of her with a gentle but nervous smile as he chuckled slightly. Buffy gasped as he pulled out a small black box and opened it up whispering towards her as though afraid she would say no, “I know this isn’t the proper time and I’ve waited so long to ask at the perfect moment but this might be as good as any time. I love you Buffy Summers and I want to spend forever with you. Whether forever ends today or in 60 years from now when I’m pushing you around in a wheelchair, I want to spend forever with you. You are the one Buffy, the one I love. Will you marry me?”

Buffy didn’t even hesitate as she threw her arms around him squeezing him tight until he grimaced as the pain from his back was still there although mostly dulled. She grinned, “Sorry” but held out her finger.

She watched with tears in her eyes as he slid the ring on her finger as she shouted, “Yes, Yes I’ll marry you.”

She laughed as the cells burst out in clapping since they could hear the whole thing and some could even witness it. Spike smirked sheepishly as Buffy smiled at him and he sat back down pulling her onto his lap as he made her a promise, “Once we get out of here, we will plan for the most perfect day for you. It will be everything you want as long as it’s not outside under the trees where a breeze could dust me.”

Buffy laughed as she shook her head, “Nah, I’m thinking at the house, at night, under candles and the moonlight. So it has to be a bright clear night filled with stars and a large moon. The rest I don’t care about, I just want to be able to see you when I say I do.”

Spike was so happy as was Buffy that they almost forgot where they were. Just then the door opened and they heard the voice of a man into the walky-talky, “Yea both are sleeping. Let’s take them out of here.”

Buffy gasped as she watched them take Tilda and Lawrence out of the room. Both were already in bad shape and she couldn’t imagine what else would be done to them before they returned. She cried silent tears hoping they didn’t do any serious damage to them as she curled up in Spike’s arms feeling hopeless.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Tilda and Lawrence were wheeled back later that day and Buffy was thankful to see they were at least still alive although looking worse than ever. She glanced up towards the ceiling as she heard a noise and in front of her, a blood packet hit the ground followed by a packet of food. Buffy glanced at Spike who pulled the bag opening it up only to dump it in the corner of the cell. He added her food on top and then threw the packets in front of the glass to make it appear as though they ate it. He called out to Kingsley and Tasha, “Guys don’t eat the food or blood. It’s drugged.”

With a few demons’ replies, Spike stood up to glance around the cells. He then looked at Buffy and said, “Lay down, close your eyes and pretend to be asleep. I’ll do the same and we will see if we can get out of here like I did last time.”

Buffy obeyed sighing as she felt Spike’s arms go around her. She only hoped whatever Spike’s plan was, it would include the demons she came here for and Tasha and Kingsley. She whispered to Spike a random thought that went through her mind, “I always thought I was the thing that monsters had nightmares about but now I know it’s really this place.”

Spike gave her a kiss on her forehead as both faked sleep. Sure enough within thirty minutes of faking sleep, she heard the door open and a walky-talky ring out in the room, “The Hostile re-identified as Hostile 17 and the human are asleep as expected. I’ll bring them in for testing now.”

The door opened and Spike allowed himself and Buffy to be lifted up onto the table by two scientists. Just as the scientist was about to strap Spike down Buffy sprang into action shoving the scientist in front of her aside, grapping her walky-talky. She closed her eyes apologizing to the lady as she knocked her sideways into the second scientist causing the injection that had been planned for Spike to go into the lady scientists’ neck. As the scientist knelt down to deal with the passed out one, Buffy apologized as she slammed her first into his back causing him to hit his head on the floor knocking him out.

Spike wasted no time in grabbing the card from the male scientist and swiped it freeing first Tasha and Kingsley. Buffy worked on freeing Lawrence out as well but as she went to get Tilda, the alarms went off. She heard Spike roar, “Bloody Hell. Not again!”

As Spike grabbed Buffy’s hand, he rushed towards the closing doors. He held it open jamming a broken table under it as the whole gang passed through hitting the green button on the outside of the door. The green button beeped three times as Spike swiped the card through it letting loose all the demons in the place. He knew most of them wouldn’t make it under the barriers but he figured this way they would have a fighting chance.

He jammed the broken table under the second barrier and between him and Kingsley and Lawrence, they managed to keep it up long enough for the group to pass through again. The third barrier was trickier as the last of the gang was still passing through the second. Kingsley slid across the room quickly grabbing a metal container and slammed it under. He heard crunching noises and was handed a second container by his mate, which he quickly put to good use. Lawrence and Tilda were still feeling the effects of the drugs and their wounds but managed to pull themselves under the barrier and start to run away. It was a tight squeeze but they made it through and back into the main room.

The main room was full of soldiers with weapons and Spike roared as they charged. He grabbed Buffy pulling her against his body allowing the bullets to enter his body again as he waited a second for the other four demons to climb the stairs. By the time he got to the top of the stairs, the others had escaped but at the cost that Buffy and Spike were both surrounded by soldiers on both ways out.

Four soldiers stood at the bottom of the stairs and three at the top. Spike knew he couldn’t push them aside to plow through them without his chip going off. To let Buffy down to allow her to do that would be suicide for her as they weren’t afraid to shoot at them. Whether they assumed they were mated and so she was safe or what, he didn’t know but he didn’t want to take any chances with that. Thinking fast, he decided there was another choice he had. He leaned down over Buffy to shield her from any bullets that might come her way as he lifted her into his arms. Not even missing a beat, he jumped up and over the railing landing hard on his feet as he tried to exit through the opposite door. He almost made it just as he was tasered. Buffy slammed into the ground as Spike fell to the ground shaking. Buffy jumped up to stand, then grabbing him by the shirt she kicked aside the live taser line and dragged him out the door even as the alarms continued to sound loudly in the background.